Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE QUIZ KIDS  (Read 68312 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:THE QUIZ KIDS
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2004, 11:10:11 AM »

TCB:  unfortunately, the "main" Rose's on NW 23rd closed many years ago during the first phase of gentrification up there.   There was for a long time a little Rose's deli that still carried the cinnamon rolls as part of the food court in Pioneer Place downtown, but I haven't been down there recently and can't vouch for the fact that it's still there.  Rose's used to be a big band hangout since they were open all night back in the day.  We'd go there after gigs back in the late 70s and early 80s.  (Also Quality Pies, down the street on Marshall and 23rd).  Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2004, 11:16:27 AM »

I'd like some General Taos chicken please.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2004, 11:40:24 AM »

I mourn C.C. Brown's.  Maybe I'll pick up some their hot fudge down at the local Mayfair market.

In the CD...Viva Max!  A compliation of Max Bygraves' songs that my friend Roger sent me from back in Kentucky.  There is a story that goes along with this (and isn't there always a story?).  A few years ago, he sent me a CD of nothing but different versions of THE TEDDY'S BEARS PICNIC...twenty four different versions.  One of which was by Max Bygraves.  I said, "Oh, I know Max Bygraves."  Here's how:

Back in 1982 when I flew over to London to start watching my Sherlock Holmes films being shot, I got in a Saturday afternoon.  I woke up early the next morning in my hotel, The Duke's, around 7AM and went out for a morning stroll. Nothing was opened, but I jaunted down The Mall to Tralfagar  to get some newspaper.  It was just me, the elderly lady news vendor, and the pigeons.  Then another gentleman came up and the woman was all atwitter and look at me and said, "Look it is!"  I apologized for my ignorance, explaining I was a Yank and didn't know.  He laughed and introduced himself: Max Bygraves.  The lady vendor let me know who he was...entertainer, singer, TV performer.  He was very cordial and nice and asked what I was doing over here.  I told him making movies, he laughed again and said:  "Well, I should know who you are!"

I'm currently listening to Max's stirring rendition of  "You're a Pink Toothbrush".

In the DVD:  Working my way through the chapters of the serial, THE DRUMS OF FU MANCHU.  May hit some YES, PRIME MINISTER at some point.

Jennifer

« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2004, 11:52:49 AM »

So I guess the General Taos isn't going to just appear. :(

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2004, 11:57:42 AM »

DR JMK, I must be thinking of a different place on 23rd downtown. I thought it was called Rose's but maybe not. But there is one heck of a good place there that I have been to recently that had some dang tasty chocolate cakes and whatnots! MmmMMMmm!

DR Jennifer, as far as eating at home will go it won't be too difficult for me, but eating out will be a pain as I am need to know what is in all that I eat (and remembering that I like to eat lot of things that I haven't a clue as to what they are) and they must be in certain portions. That is going to be difficult for me.

I image that when I go out to eat I will likely throw caution to the wind and take my chances. It is a luxury that I am just not ready to give up (he said as he goes blind and loses his limbs).

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2004, 12:09:22 PM »

I image that when I go out to eat I will likely throw caution to the wind and take my chances. It is a luxury that I am just not ready to give up (he said as he goes blind and loses his limbs).

Just remember, Michael, a lot of things can supposedly make you go blind!!!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2004, 12:17:41 PM »

JMK -- I guess you were right about it being on NW 23rd.  It didn't seem like it was that far up there, but, hey, I was 21 when I lived in Portland and, at the time, my car went through gasoline like it was water.  Rose's could have been in Salem, and I wouldn't have thought twice about driving down there just to buy myself a cinnamon roll.
“One thing’s universal,

JMK

« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2004, 12:17:55 PM »

DR JMK, I must be thinking of a different place on 23rd downtown. I thought it was called Rose's but maybe not.

Michael, not quite sure what you mean--NW 23rd isn't "downtown."  The classic Rose's was on NW 23rd and Everett.  It was a full-service restaurant, a legend in Portland.  (There was another eastside on 82nd, I think).  The main restaurant closed at least six or seven years ago.  There's a fancy-schmantzy new development on that block now (kitty corner from the newer Kitchen Kaboodle building).  The Rose's Deli I mentioned IS (or at least was) downtown in the Pioneer Place mall, in the basement as part of the food court.  Though it is/was very small, it did have all of the old pastry/baked items that the restaurant used to have, including the gigantic cinnamon rolls and the yummilicious chocolate cakes.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2004, 12:20:39 PM »

Max Bygraves....LOL.  

DRCP - what you just described reminds me of the newspaper shop scene in PEEPING TOM....LOL.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2004, 12:22:44 PM »

I'm confused (all together:  what else is new?).  Did I miss a post by MBarnum about Rose's?  I have looked and don't see anything.  Anyway, TCB and Michael, take my word for it--Rose's was indeed on 23rd.  I lived in NW at the time (on Overton and 23rd) and got cinnamon rolls there with great regularity (hency my somewhat portly middle-age!).  Maybe you are thinking of the eastside location TCB.

JMK

« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2004, 12:23:58 PM »

HENCY--it's a new adverb.  Kewwwwl.

JMK

« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2004, 12:25:52 PM »

My lovely spouse reminds me that there was another Rose's outlet-type shop on NW 20th across from the Fred Meyer.  It wasn't a restaurant, just a counter with baked goods.  Maybe that's what y'all are remembering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2004, 12:37:32 PM »

I'm confused (all together:  what else is new?).  Did I miss a post by MBarnum about Rose's?  I have looked and don't see anything.  Anyway, TCB and Michael, take my word for it--Rose's was indeed on 23rd.  I lived in NW at the time (on Overton and 23rd) and got cinnamon rolls there with great regularity (hency my somewhat portly middle-age!).  Maybe you are thinking of the eastside location TCB.

Well, now I am confused.  Infospace still lists two (2) locations for Rose's Deli and Bakery in Portland.  One is at 838 NW 23rd and the other is is in the Wells Fargo Centre.  The one I was was thinking of JMK (and Michael) was on NW 23rd, up towards Washington Park.  I actually lived clear out on SE 82nd and Powell when I lived in Portland, so that whole area of Portland from the park down to the river was what I always considered downtown.  Of course, I was living there when I was in my early twenties, so a lot of years have passed to cloud my memories.
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2004, 12:40:17 PM »

You guys are all confused....Rose Kennedy lived in Hyannis Port and she died YEARS ago.

Emily

« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2004, 12:48:16 PM »

Quite possibly the funniest headline in the history of the CBC (and the book DOES look awfully cute :) ):

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/stories/fartingdog20040423
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2004, 12:49:17 PM »

You guys are all confused....Rose Kennedy lived in Hyannis Port and she died YEARS ago.

..........but, she made good cinnamon rolls.

“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2004, 12:50:52 PM »

DREMILY - I always said when it comes to culture, we are the first hogs to the trough.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2004, 12:59:04 PM »

Wow, I used to work at a Mall out on 102nd and SE Washington in Portland.  I could have sworn on a stack of Bibles that it was called Mall 206, but looking at the map online, it is actually called Mall 205.  I wonder if it has been devalued during the last thrity years?
“One thing’s universal,

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2004, 01:04:08 PM »

I'm gettin' me some C.C. Brown's hot fudge sauce today.

I looked them up and they're everywhere around here - including Gelson's. Little did I know....

:-* -  That's me sending kisses to the hot fudge sundae.

JMK

« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2004, 01:05:41 PM »

OK, here's the scoop:  the one on NW 23rd NOW is the old counter-only store that used to be on NW 20th.  I guess they have moved the one from Pioneer Place into the Wells Fargo building.

Mall 205 has always been Mall 205--because it is next to I-205.  Believe it or not, I played the gala opening of the new Target store there about a year ago.  Nothing like schlepping a keyboard and sound system to a Target and setting up in the credit card acceptance area, playing "Feelings" whilst people bitch about their new credit limits.  Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind.

And, finally TCB, you're close, but not really--Washington Park is in SW (i.e., South of Burnside), not NW.  But, indeed, if you were to drive south on 23rd over Burnside and up the steep hill, then turn right on SW Park St. (aptly named, wouldn't you say?), you would, verily, come to the entrance of Washington Park.  Forest Park (which abuts Washington Park, no mean feat) is the big park in NW (the biggest park in a metropolitan area in the US, IIRC).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 01:07:27 PM by JMK »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2004, 01:16:51 PM »

Bruce GOOD VIBES for a successful book festival tomorrow.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2004, 01:19:15 PM »

The raves for Assassins are entirely predictable.

As predictable as the pans it got 13 years ago were?

To be fair, the critics have had over a decade to study the score and script in great detail, to see what SOndheim and Weidman were going for, and they've probably seen one or more productions of the show in other venues. They'd have to be dunces not to recognize the beauty of that score after multiple hearings.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2004, 01:21:33 PM »

Thanks for the ice cream scoop, DRJMK.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2004, 01:23:30 PM »

Yes, just as predictable as the pans were - absolutely.  Same thing with Merrily - pans and then everyone saying, "Oh, it's really good."  When Bounce somehow gets done by the Roundabout ten years from now the same thing will happen.

Michael

« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2004, 01:23:49 PM »

Karma has been payed back!!!!!

From Playbill:

The record label Fynsworth Alley, which has produced a host of theatre-related recordings, has closed its New York office.

A note on the official Fynsworth Alley website says, "We have closed our New York office, and are currently transitioning." The site is also no longer selling copies of its CDs; those wishing to purchase recordings on the Fynsworth label are directed to Amazon.com.

Barbara Ann O'Connor, who owns Fynsworth Alley, told Playbill On-Line April 22, "We are consolidating all of our assets and planning our next move . . . The website is temporarily shut down for order taking, but the rest of the site is still active."

Fynsworth Alley is located on the internet at www.fynsworthalley.com. Among its most recent releases are "Christine Andreas: The Carlyle Set," "Leslie Uggams: On My Way to You" and "Out of This World: Maureen McGovern Sings Harold Arlen."

« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 01:35:30 PM by bk »
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2004, 01:25:43 PM »

All these descriptions of Portland make me want to visit my son.  I had planned to go for Mother’s Day but we decided to visit Keith’s mother instead.  Next time I’m there I will avoid Rose's.  The last thing I need is another irresistible junk food.

Jennifer, since I began a diet today, you expressed my thoughts.  It takes a lot of strength & will power to follow a diabetes diet.  So,

GOOD STRENGTH AND WILL POWER VIBES MBarnum.

CharlesPogue-fun story.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 01:36:08 PM by Jane »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2004, 01:26:17 PM »

Well, as I said, JMK, when I was living in Portland, way back when, that whole area was my little playground.  Northwest or Southwest, I could still probably find my way to Washington Park to this very day.

But now that I know that there are still Rose's Cinnamon Rolls to be found, I may have to drive down to Portland again, very soon.
“One thing’s universal,

Michael

« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2004, 01:26:53 PM »

Further info:

So now for the second time in three years, they've suspended business, fired their entire staff and closed their main office. Calling their toll-free number connects you to the home of... Barbara-Ann O'Connor, sole owner of (and perhaps sole individual left standing at?) the company. Isn't that a hoot and a half?"

The above from a blind item received at broadwaystars.com
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 01:27:28 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2004, 01:35:04 PM »

While walking today Echo bolted after a coyote.  I think it was one anyway. We walk along an irrigation ditch and suddenly something somewhat large, but smaller than Echo, and grey bolted out of the water.  The two of them took off with me yelling “ECHO SIT, ECHO LEAVE” over and over as I ran around a bend behind her.  Once I made it around the bend I discovered, to my relief, Echo standing on the side of a ravine where the coyote must have gone.  She is such a good girl. :D

Robin

« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2004, 01:37:13 PM »

First off...thanks to DR Ben for the head's-up about Sweet Charity.  Since I don't think I've ever seen Christina Applegate in anything other than an episode of Friends, I can't say I'm all that excited about that particular casting choice, but who knows?  Mebbe she'll be great.  

Second off...the weekly media check:

In the CD player:
Taste the Blood of Dracula by James Bernard
Take a Hard Ride by Jerry Goldsmith

In the deeveedee player:
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.  Sure, it's not the best Star Trek flick, but it's reputation is worse than it really deserves.  (And I'll take it over any of the Next Generation movies in a New Yawk Minnit.)

In the laserdisc player:
Mad Love with Peter Lorre.  An overheated masterpiece.

What I'm Reading:
Royal Flash by George MacDonald Fraser.  

Where the Significant Other and I are dining this evening:
Punch Pizza.  I sense a tradition in the making....!

Third off...
As far as Fynsworth Alley goes, they've already went too far.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up