Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: FOOD POISONING  (Read 16620 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: FOOD POISONING
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2010, 06:42:48 AM »

It is going to be a gorgeous day here. And I'm taking the day off so I'll be out and about.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2010, 06:42:57 AM »

Page Two Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2010, 06:44:05 AM »

I still have lots of TV I haven't gotten to yet including THE OFFICE from Thursday and THE TUDORS and BROTHERS & SISTERS from last night. I'd like to crack open one of those Blu-rays in the to-watch stack, but we'll see how I manage my time today.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2010, 06:45:38 AM »

TOD:

I can remember the first movie where I wanted to hide under the seat at the theater because I was so scared and couldn't bear to watch the ending - TARGET EARTH. I rewatched this a few years ago, and it was SUCH a dopey movie that I laughed at how it made my cringe so badly when I was a little boy.

Some movies hold up to scrutiny years later. This one didn't.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2010, 06:46:42 AM »

I wasn't the biggest fan of Lena Horne, but I certainly appreciated her talent, and I enjoyed her "dropped-in" musical performances in MGM musicals. I never got to see her one woman show either.

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2010, 06:48:46 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  I've been to the post office already this morning to mail a 5th birthday present to Cincinnati.  For the first time in my life, I used the automated postage machine, or I'd still be standing in line at the counter.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2010, 06:48:58 AM »

Lena Horne was the greatest!
You can dream…or you can do.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2010, 06:49:02 AM »

I don't watch THE AMAZING RACE, but I was rather delighted when I read who won. I follow the progress of teams through recaps each week.

These guys started out doing poorly and seemed to have gotten better as the season progressed. Of course, as with most of the teams, there's always trouble along the way, some good luck or bad luck, all of which makes the show so watchable.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2010, 06:50:03 AM »

John, thanks for posting the Pacific Overtures clip!

I am one of the few that think this is a BRILLIANT show. It has a solid place in my all time favorite Top 10 and most people look at me like I'm crazy. Most people don't even know what show I'm talking about.

I went to the Tonys last year and while I certainly had a good time, you're absolutely right, the earlier shows were so special. Now the show is staged for the lowest common denominator (sorry all you non-theatre folk) and you would NEVER get that number on any television awards show. 7 minutes and 15 seconds of brilliance!!!

Ditto about PACIFIC OVERTURES, DR Ben!  It was my first Sondheim show on B'way (and the first time I ventured up to the city by myself.)  I still think the appearance of the ship at the end of "Four Black Dragons" is one of the top moments of stage imagery I've ever experienced.

And yes, the Tonys are not what they were.  I miss the days when they were broadcast from an actual B'way house, with an invited, adult audience that knew how to behave in a theatre (but then, there is the '71 broadcast that had the seats filled with people who all looked like they wished they were anywhere else but in NYC on a Sunday night.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2010, 06:51:45 AM »

It's been so long that I don't recall the details, but back when I was doing publicity, some guy came into my office and announced that his mother was Lena Horne.

I don't remember why, but I didn't believe him. 

Does anybody know if she had a son?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:10:38 AM by Druxy »
You can dream…or you can do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2010, 06:51:54 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  I've been to the post office already this morning to mail a 5th birthday present to Cincinnati.  For the first time in my life, I used the automated postage machine, or I'd still be standing in line at the counter.

DR Ginny, I think Cincinnati is a lot older than five years old!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2010, 06:53:22 AM »

DR Druxy, according to IMDB, Lena Horne had 2 children by her first husband.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2010, 07:01:42 AM »

DR Ginny, I think Cincinnati is a lot older than five years old!

LOL, DR Dan!  I should have said, "...to our friend Alivya in Cincinnati."
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2010, 07:02:52 AM »

...DR Ginny, I guess the answer to your inquiry several days ago is, yes, I could use a ride to the Canton Airport on Sunday. Right now I have little to relate, and I feel extremely boring today.

Glad to help, DR Elmore!  One of the items on my "to do" list for today is to call the hotel to make our reservations.  Guess I'd better look into tickets for the show, too!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2010, 07:07:48 AM »

This was very disheartening to read this morning...

Critical backlash at Julie Andrews’ “tragic” stage return
Make Your Own Luck.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2010, 07:09:42 AM »

And the word of the day is: MULIEBRITY!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  I AM WOMAN

And In Honor Of The Late LENA HORNE(God Bless Her)  THE LADY AND HER MUSIC!(All Of It)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:10:15 AM by ArnoldMBrockman »

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2010, 07:20:32 AM »

Well, no day off for me today or this week! A big box of Fox Blu-rays arrived just now, and I'll be starting with THE EDGE today. The film is only 94 minutes (I think) and there don't appear to be any bonus features, so it shouldn't be a demanding afternoon.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2010, 07:22:27 AM »

Also in the box is Steven Seagal's MARKED FOR DEATH (which I've never seen and can't say that I'm dying to) and the individual issues of Mel Brooks' HIGH ANXIETY, ROBIN HOOD: MEN IN TIGHTS, and HISTORY OF THE WORLD, Part 1. I reviewed all of those Brooks films in mini reviews when the bog box set of his films came out on Blu-ray at Christmas, so I'll have to rewatch the movies and flesh out those reviews some for the individual entries.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2010, 07:22:36 AM »

Ben-

Can You  re-post PACIFIC OVERTURES site?

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2010, 07:24:05 AM »

You know, PACIFIC OVERTURES was filmed in the theater for Japanese television, and it's a shame that performance has never been released in a commercial videotape or DVD. I have seen it, and it's quite wonderful, something fans of the show would really LOVE to have.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2010, 07:25:18 AM »

Now I need to head down and get cleaned up for my lunch out today with best friend John. I hope I'll have time to view something before he gets here. Possibly THE OFFICE. We'll see.

WBBL.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2010, 07:36:06 AM »

DR VIXMOM - or anyone.....this is a small Photo Resizer that is a free shareware.  I use it a lot.....you can resize individual photos or a BATCH of them.  Easy to use and doesn't take much space.

http://www.fotosizer.com

What's wrong with Roxio Resizer?   :D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2010, 07:38:40 AM »

Druxy, the Oregonian obit mentioned only a daughter of Horne.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2010, 07:42:11 AM »

Last night DR Jose wrote:
DR Jennifer - "Californication" is just starting up there in Canada?!?!?  It started on Showtime back in 2007. -Although, it seems like it's been around longer. Then, again, I guess I'm thinking of David Duchovny's other series, "Red Shoe Diaries".

I believe it is on the movie network at the same time as in the US. But I don't get the movie network.

A channel called Showcase (this is the same channel that showed Jada Pinkett Smith's show) started CALIFORNICATION in april.

Laura

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2010, 07:50:33 AM »

This morning on the radio, the announcer told about the passing of Lena Horne and said his favorite recording of hers was Santa Baby.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jennifer

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2010, 07:53:27 AM »

re: last night's THE AMAZING RACE FINALE

I don't watch THE AMAZING RACE, but I was rather delighted when I read who won. I follow the progress of teams through recaps each week.
These guys started out doing poorly and seemed to have gotten better as the season progressed. Of course, as with most of the teams, there's always trouble along the way, some good luck or bad luck, all of which makes the show so watchable.

I don't know if you'd be so happy if you had seen the show last night.  The winning team started the night by doing something which i considered very ugly and made me want them to lose in a big way.  They were 3-6 hours behind the 2nd place team and they arrived at the airport. The then 2nd place team (the cowboys) were lying on the floor in line. And dan and jordan decided to put their bags in front of theirs and take their space in front of them. And they would not move. This did not really affect the leg of the race. But it was classless and really ugly.
And to me the winning team did not really improve. They did do well in the last leg. But up until last night they showed nothing. They were always in the middle. They did not show any physical superiority or mental. They were whiney.  I can appreciate that the one brother loves the show and it was his dream.  But i hate when teams that are not good at the race win.  Although that said the cowboys were awful last night. They did not force dan and jordan aside at the airport. They stood like idiots during another challenge. And they could not figure out about the spinning.  Oh and the final challenge was pathetic and way too easy! (although that is neither teams fault).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2010, 08:15:03 AM »

I'm up and not sure if I'm feeling better or not.  I did have some weird dreams - not bad, but weird, and I was also asleep by eleven so I did get another nine hours. 

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2010, 08:15:07 AM »

If any DRs just happen to be thinking about taking a trip tomorrow or Wednesday...

Jet Blue 10th Anniversary $10 Sale
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2010, 08:17:05 AM »

I came in and tried to wake up the computer only it wouldn't wake up - then I noticed the router light and modem lights were all off.  Then I looked at the rest of the kitchen stuff - all working.  Odd.  I went to the main power strip - it looked fine.  I moved the plug a little in towards the socket and voila.  So, I don't know why, suddenly, arbitrarily, the plug would have come a tiny bit loose, but everything is fine now.

Ben

« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2010, 08:30:20 AM »

Ben-

Can You  re-post PACIFIC OVERTURES site?

Here it is Arnold. The site is BlueGobo.com. They have some wonderful clips from all sorts of theatrical performances including many old Tony broadcasts

Pacific Overtures
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up