Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TRACKS  (Read 12585 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TRACKS
« on: May 16, 2010, 11:54:36 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes made tracks, and now it is time for you to post until the tracked cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: TRACKS
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 11:55:17 PM »

And the word of the day is: EIDETIC!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 11:57:07 PM »

As promised - our new release.  You know the drill - $19.98 plus 3.75 shipping to paypal.

“THE LORD GONNA SMOTE HIS ASS.”

Kritzerland is proud to present a world premiere limited edition CD release:

BUSTING
Music Composed and Conducted by Billy Goldenberg

In the 1970s, cop films were all the rage. Busting, made in 1974, was a buddy cop film, with Elliot Gould and Robert Blake as two iconoclastic, laid back, wise-cracking, we’re-doing-it-our-own-way cops.  It was Peter Hyams’ debut as a feature film director.

Supporting Gould’s and Blake’s irreverent performances are a crackerjack assemblage of great 1970s character actors – Allen Garfield, great as the bad guy Rizzo, Antonio Fargas, Michael Lerner, Sid Haig, William Sylvester, Logan Ramsey, and Richard X. Slattery.  Shot all over Los Angeles, the film is not heavy on plot, but is heavy on atmospheric sequences, all involving Gould and Blake’s rather unorthodox policing techniques, most of which would probably get them landed in the clinker rather than the bad guys.  They raid gay bars, massage parlors, entrap hookers – that’s business as usual for them.

For the score to Busting, Hyams chose a composer who was having a lot of success in television, and who had done a handful of films – Billy Goldenberg. In the late 1960s, he began composing for films and television on a regular basis.  He provided terrific scores for some great TV series of that era, such as The Name Of The Game, It Takes A Thief, Ironside, and Night Gallery.  He also wrote the scores to such films as Change of Habit (with Elvis), and a particularly memorable score to Red Sky At Morning.  Then in 1971, Goldenberg scored a classic TV film called Duel for a young up-and-coming TV director named Steven Spielberg.  It was a seriously great score and brought Goldenberg a lot of notice.  After that, he went on to score the film version of Woody Allen’s Play It Again, Sam, Up The Sandbox (with Barbra Streisand), The Last of Sheila (written by Anthony Perkins and Stephen Sondheim), as well as more TV scores for shows like McCloud, The Sixth Sense, Ghost Story, The Bold Ones, Banacek, Kojak, as well as his groundbreaking work on a little series of mystery movies featuring a rumpled detective named Columbo. He was nominated for many Emmy Awards, winning two along the way. 

Goldenberg’s score for Busting is one of his most interesting and unusual – it has some serious funk, some fun source music, some terrific suspense cues, and some very unorthodox (for the time) orchestrations.  His music fits the film like a glove – it’s just as sly, irreverent and off-the-cuff as the movie’s sly, irreverent and off-the-cuff protagonists. 

For this CD release, we present every cue that Goldenberg wrote for the film.  Some of these are dialed so low in the film mix that you can’t even hear them.  We’ve assembled the cues in film order, but have consolidated a few of the shorter cues into longer ones for a better listening experience.  There were two source music cues that didn’t have cue numbers that didn’t seem to be used in the film (at least that you could hear) – we’ve included those as bonus tracks – one of them has some great funky organ that would have been perfectly at home in any number of blaxploitation films of that decade.   The score was assembled from the mono tapes housed in the MGM vault.

There is not nearly enough Billy Goldenberg on CD – and so it is a particular treat to be able to do this wonderful score, and hopefully it will usher in more Goldenberg – he was (and is) a master of his craft and a unique talent.

This release is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98 plus shipping.

CD will ship by the first week of July – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 12:35:52 AM »

Ordered!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 12:38:44 AM »

TOD:

For women's clothing, my favorite era is the 1950s, particularly the latter half of that decade.

Loved the tight waistline with the full skirts and lots of crinoline underneath. That would be my most fave.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:04:47 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 01:02:27 AM »

For men it would also be the 1950s. The suits and hats looked great, but it was the shirts that I just loved!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:05:12 AM by MBarnum »

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 03:00:11 AM »

Great photos, MBarnum. While I appreciate the styles that have gone before, including the hats men wore in the '30s and the RayBan-skinny black tie look of Italian cinema in the '60s, I must say I'm finding myself a jeans kind of person. If it's comfortable and natural material, I love it no matter what it looks like. Linen and cotton are my two favorite fabrics since it's mostly sunny and warm here.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 03:00:27 AM »

Off to get ready for work.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ben

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 03:48:03 AM »

Morning all.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 03:52:26 AM »

Hey, Fred, I finally saw Our Town last night. Although I loved the show I kept wondering what you were talking about with the bacon. I thought, perhaps because it's been running so long they did away with the smell-o-vision. Then they did the reveal. OMG!!! What a moment.

What a production. I've done the show and I've seen other productions, usually wrapped in sentimentality ,but this is something different. I laughed and cried and was very moved. It's a beautiful, real, natural and heartfelt production. If you're in New York you should see this show.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 05:19:12 AM »

Ordered BUSTING.....haven't thought of this movie in decades.....but I remember seeing it at the drive-in, and liking it better than the movie I went to the drive in to see.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 05:20:35 AM »

As I wrote yesterday, I had some very fine people yesterday, and indeed could CAST the show with the exception of one part with the folks who were there yesterday.

We shall see what happens tonight.  The Monday sessions in general usually bring out even MORE people, so I may have some difficult choices to make.

Ginny

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 05:30:35 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  Even though we're in the central time zone, my body clock is still set for eastern.  That and the tuna salad I ate last night that had too many onions  :P  woke me up early.  I'm trying to be quiet and let Richard sleep.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 05:39:20 AM »

I hear that, DR GINNY - sometimes onions are no problem for me, other times - I get sick.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 05:39:30 AM »

Off to do some Monday things. 

Kerry

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 05:39:52 AM »

It's Monday morning, everyone!
I like boat races.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 05:48:39 AM »

TOD:

I loved the pinstripe suits, trenchcoats and fedoras that they wore in the 1940s gangster movies.

But for me, today,  jeans and a t-shirt are fine.  Very comfortable.
You can dream…or you can do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 05:54:05 AM »

TOD:

I still get a big kick out of the 60's Mod look--Carnaby Street, Twiggy, Yardley, etc.  It's a fashion period I've been meaning to read more about.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 05:58:09 AM »

I'm waiting for this very odd 60s TV special to become available on DVD...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 06:02:45 AM »

I think the 70s was the very worst for men's fashion.  Velour and polyrayon fabrics, disco wear, fur trim (and not on jackets!)--brrrrrrrr...
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 06:08:44 AM »

I'm up, I've announced, and shortly I shall go back to bed.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 06:14:51 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept too late, and a lot of it had to do with strange dreams: I remember a  part of one involving a house in a slum area of Middletown, Ohio, near a highway, a couple of roommates, something weird I do not recall, and a problem with lights - I think my dad may havebeen involved - and a visit from Robert Kimball, to whom I've not spoken since the Library of congress debacle. After that, I had a dream involving Jonathan Tunick and  the Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization, whose offices were strangely very shabby and run down, not at all as they currently are. My last memory of the dream is telling Jonathan to hold the elevator while i located my jacket.

So, today I am having lunch with David James, one of my best friends in the Miami University Theatre Dept, who left New York over fifteen years ago to relocate to London. He's working on a musical theayre project that brought him over to interview a number of folk and we will have lunch and catch up on what's going on.

Beyond that, I have a few errands and some editing work.

Fashion? I usually dress as if I were coming to or going from my coal barge. I certainly recall with horror much fashion of the past 40 years, but I was never built to wear much of it. These days it's corduroys, casual shirts in the cold weather nd shorts from May to October. I do have to wear a suit in Canton, Ohio, so I suppose I should see if mine still fits.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 06:25:09 AM »

Speaking of fashion, what is it with some of these fashion designers and hair dressers to dress as peculiarly as possible as if to point out to the noncognescenti "I look like a fool so I must be really really talented"?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 07:14:51 AM »

Brother is up, so guess I'm not going back to sleep.  He'll be gone by ten-fifteen, then I'll have an hour to get ready and do some stuff, then the meeting begins, which will be torture as it involves a long-distance conference call and my phone does NOT have a great speaker phone.  Then it's another little meeting, a dinner, and then a movie that has to be watched.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2010, 07:17:25 AM »

I'm REALLY tired.  Orders are coming through, slowly but surely.  The audio samples are finally up.  They didn't even get to me until about one in the morning, long after I was sleeping.  So, I had to load them all in iTunes, make mp3s and get them to the web guy without even listening to them for quality purposes.  That I'll do now, I guess.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 07:20:45 AM »

And the word of the day is: EIDETIC!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  PRETTY LITTLE PICTURE

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 07:31:07 AM »

Listening to Busting - very good.

Michael

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2010, 07:50:23 AM »

I'm waiting for this very odd 60s TV special to become available on DVD...

Actually it may have already been released. If the season 5 of The Lucy Show has been released it may be part of the package. It is a continuation of The Lucy Flies To London episode and aired the following week. It is not counted as an episode in The Lucy Show so they may have included it as a bonus.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2010, 07:52:52 AM »

I'm not into the current fashion trends. I buy want ever looks good and is inexpensive
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2010, 08:29:45 AM »

I've showered and feel much better.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up