Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED, MYSTERIES WILL BE SOLVED  (Read 18088 times)

Ginny

Re: QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED, MYSTERIES WILL BE SOLVED
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2010, 07:23:42 AM »

Oooo, DR KevinH, you're in NYC for BookExpo America!  I've always wanted to go to that event - ALA comes close, but I hear there's more glitz for the booksellers.  Have fun and say HI to Barbra for me.  Also to DR Elmore!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

td

• td
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2010, 07:26:49 AM »

HAPPY NATAL DAY DR JEANNE!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2010, 07:29:38 AM »

And the word of the day is: PHLEGMATIC!

And the Song Of The Day Is:  I'M OLD FASHIONED

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2010, 07:31:04 AM »

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEANNE

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2010, 07:40:01 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Jeanne! Have a wonderful day!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2010, 07:41:45 AM »

TOD: NORTHERN EXPOSURE
THE PRISONER
6 FEET UNDER

I'm loading the final episode of Saving Grace right now. I'm sure I'd get a lot more out of it if I'd watched the show...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

td

• td
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2010, 07:48:54 AM »

Regarding LOST, DR Jose has made a statement which cannot possibly be bettered.

I came to LOST late.  I watched the first season once it came out on dvd, the main reason for that being the first season's scheduling was all awry, with World Series, pre-emptions, repeats et al.
I was impressed with the pilot episode and found the characters to be a group of people I wouldn't mind spending time with on a island frought with mystery, danger and many elements of the unknown and UNKNOWABLE.

LOST, to me, was, and will be, akin to me a great book, which one can return to time and again, either to re-read (re-watch) a favorite chapter or to delve into in its completeness once again.  (I have already watched "The Constant" more times than any other episode of any television series).

As for comparisons to TWIN PEAKS, David Lynch gave us a swell first season, but later seasons showed a true lack of interest from both Lynch and Mark Frost.  The one good thing to come out of the latter seasons of TWIN PEAKS was David Duvhovny's Dennis/Denise.

As to other shows, with LOST, I never lost interest in the characters, the themes, the philosophies - and even enjoyed watching the floundering episodes dealing with Niki and Paolo - LOST's writers led me to seek out the writings referenced on the show.  With THE X FILES and DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, I lost all interest, and saw THE X FILES limp through three lackluster seasons before the show was mercifully pulled from the schedule.

Writers may not be at the mercy of network execs ready to pull the plug on their current work, but, Flannery O'Connor and Charles Dickens (to name two), left unfinished works which I still enjoy.  Had it not been for LOST, I never would have discovered Flannery O'Connor's writings.

DR Druxy, I am more than willing to embrace your #2 posit as the likeliest; it's the one that I gleaned from the two-character dialog immediately preceding it.

I will be contemplating LOST for a very long time, and am thankful that I found a television show which I felt was worthy of devoting some time to for a few years.

One aside, I got into a very heated discussion last night with a "Skater," who wrote off the entire episode as b.s. because SPOILER ALERT zhad grad flat rested humtp  fhol hoijmmm pouteer d,oloug,  hooom a certain pairing didn't materialize. Kfgiul ouing  ithingmn morerroinjg poitnugke hsa the trungf freak gingouiunh ginger and mary anne grab gilliagan s islaong.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2010, 08:14:25 AM »

Welcome Back to NYC, DR KevinH!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2010, 08:15:01 AM »

Thank You, DR Dan (the Man).

Thank You, DR td.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2010, 08:16:50 AM »

And as for other people's - both DRs and non-DRs - musings concerning the whole "Lost Phenomenon", well... We all invest our time - and emotions(?) - in different things.  For some people it's a TV show. For others it's a book.  A favorite movie or series of movies.  Doesn't really make one form better than the other. Just different.

And here's my 2 cents: for a novel, a film, a play to work for me, whether it's a fantasy or a kitchen sink drama or something in between, there's a logic and sense, perhaps, that everything's heading to its logical conclusion that, if not inevitable, at least is satisfying. I don't always think the continual red herring approach to your story necessarily leads to anything beyond a lot of sloppiness - David Lynch's work is is an example, especially in the ridiculously overrated TWIN PEAKS (I am abig fan of BLUE VELVET and ERASERHEAD) - and in the case of LOST, when you throw into the mix a tv series that can be canceled on the whim of its network, a writers' strike, a change in producer, network executive requests, or a bored cast member wanting out, a lot of good intentions get brushed aside to create a number of episodes to fill a season.  Then, along, comes the finale, and someone has to reconcile this stew. Good luck covering all of the territory, the red herrings, the moments of "symbolism" or whatever.

Agreed.

However, I was commenting on the "observations", not what was being observed (the writing, the acting, the show).
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2010, 08:17:43 AM »

And speaking of series' finales...

Tonight: "Law & Order" (The Mothership)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2010, 08:22:54 AM »

Now that Law and Order has been canceled the new resume building show for New York theatre actors is

The Good Wife

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2010, 08:28:20 AM »

Now that Law and Order has been canceled the new resume building show for New York theatre actors is

The Good Wife

I wonder if Christopher Sieber will get on that one? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2010, 08:29:53 AM »

- first we'll make our 3rd trip to the BMV to try to get her non-driver state ID renewed. 

GOOD LUCK!  I presume you will make sure she has ALL the paperwork this time.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2010, 08:33:14 AM »

Laura

« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2010, 08:45:18 AM »

Such strange weather! It is gloriously cool this morning, so I took a walk to gather some seeds  from vines and shrubs that grow nearby. I will share them with my butterfly gardening friends.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2010, 08:46:01 AM »

DR Druxy - You may want to put a SPOILER warning before your "Lost" questions.

Sorry about that, but I figured that, since it was over, all secrets had been revealed.

The secrets may have been revealed, but that doesn't mean that ALL DRs have watched the Finale yet.  I believe DR Michael Shayne would appreciate a SPOILER warning.

But he wants it for the next six months!

Actually, it's coming out in August...so...three months or so is all we'll be required to wait.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2010, 08:56:40 AM »

DR Druxy - You may want to put a SPOILER warning before your "Lost" questions.

Sorry about that, but I figured that, since it was over, all secrets had been revealed.

The secrets may have been revealed, but that doesn't mean that ALL DRs have watched the Finale yet.  I believe DR Michael Shayne would appreciate a SPOILER warning.

But he wants it for the next six months!

Actually, it's coming out in August...so...three months or so is all we'll be required to wait.

But he won't watch it until Christmas. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2010, 08:56:55 AM »

And...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2010, 09:12:13 AM »

And the promo showed Matthew Fox and Jimmy Kimmel in the shower, but that sketch never showed up on that show....must have been from a previous show....

DR JRand - If you go to Jimmy Kimmel's YouTube Channel, you can pull up all of his "Lost"-related featurettes. -And, yes, the one with Matthew Fox in the shower is there. ;)

I think it would have been funnier if Matthew Fox had ended up in bed with Bob Newhart.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2010, 09:23:46 AM »

LOST Spoilage

Daj lkjfj jad;fjkjkfsj;lkj ; oh;kj ijh;j been ;k ;lkj;lkj ;lkdown  akd;ljkjk   southm.;j j; ljfor....oto m pjaoj ;lkj see .mj ;kj ;lk my lakj ; lkjgal  sing.   polly...wolly...doodle....all...the....day.

Well, you've read the notes, the notes answered questions and solved mysteries, and now it is time for you to post until the mysterious cows come home.

SPOILER:

Because I had nothing better to do and was waiting to fall asleep, I tuned into the show's last 15+ minutes.  [I hadn't watched LOST since the first season]

Questions:

1. Was everybody dead from the beginning of the series?

Or,

2. Was this reunion in the church supposed to be taking place years after the island...when everybody had died by natural/unnatural causes?

Or,

3. Was this church reunion all in Matthew Fox's imaginaton?

1.  I think an argument can be made for this...yes...especially given the final image from last night's finale.  It was the wreckage of an Oceanic aircraft...and it was all rusted.  I think that shot represented "our" reality, although that should not be taken as an indication that none of what we saw was not real.  We are in touch with the existence we have...and in the case of "Lost", I think all the characters were in a different, although no less real, existence.
2.I think an argument can be made for this...yes...although we never saw it, the implication is that many years must have elapsed before the meeting in the chapel.  Hurley's comment to Ben, who I take it was holding himself back (in a self-imposed purgatory) until he felt worthy, indicates that they protected the island jointly after Jack saved the island.  Jack's father, Kristian, also intimated that things went on after Jack died.
3.  According to Kristian, they all created that "place" as a meeting point.  I presume that they were all ready to go into that light that was consuming the chapel after Kristian opened the doors.  Who can say how many lifetimes may have elapsed until they all had those moments of recognition about the island and their connections with the others?

I can't fault anyone not willing to go with what was presented.  Not being interested in the show does not make the show "pretentious twaddle" in any respect.

DR Jose, I am intrigued by the notion there is someone out there who wrote off the finale because a pairing didn't take place.  Who needed pairing up?

The best moment for me (i.e. the one that had the biggest emotional jolt for me) was Charlie and Claire at the concert.  As all those memories rushed at both of them, it reminded me how significant a part of the show Charlie was for three seasons. It was all the more cathartic to realize that even in this "other" reality, each individual had sacrifices to make that brought them redemption.

I am not totally "clear" about what I saw last night.  As with all mysteries concerning life and existence, there can be no "clear" answers, but I thought it was very wise of the writers/producers to give viewers images, words and possibilities that can be interpreted based upon their own personal belief systems.

It was one hell of a six-year ride.  I, for one, would not have missed a second of it!  Dkj ;laj ;lkjfdjkl f;lkj ;kjal;fjk;kljasoi; jkflkja;lk j kj'KJ ;LJ KLJASFJ ;JKL FAS JK LA;LDKJJKjjkdfjkl;lkaj; l kjflkj l;j;kj.

End LOST Spoilage

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2010, 09:28:13 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR JEANNE!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2010, 09:28:50 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR Jeanne!

My birthday wish is that you post with more frequency in the coming year!

td

• td
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2010, 09:43:43 AM »

Ron, it was I who mentioned the pairing that didn't take place.  It's a pairing that I didn't want to take place, but, one that a lot of others, sometimes called "skaters" wanted to see.  For me, it was love versus lust and love won out in the end for all parties.  And it was I who got into the heated discussion with the skater who wrote the finale off as b.s.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2010, 09:53:41 AM »

Ron, it was I who mentioned the pairing that didn't take place.  It's a pairing that I didn't want to take place, but, one that a lot of others, sometimes called "skaters" wanted to see.  For me, it was love versus lust and love won out in the end for all parties.  And it was I who got into the heated discussion with the skater who wrote the finale off as b.s.

Oh--that kind of "Skater"...  I think that pairing came to a distinct dead-end in the third episode of this season, if not at the end of last season.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2010, 10:00:08 AM »

Enjoying all the posts about Lost.  I understand everything in Jose's post.  I was a MASH fan but I certainly missed about half the episodes during its run.  That finale was pretty terrific.  Same with All In The Family and others.  In fact, I cannot think of a TV show outside of The Twilight Zone where I never missed an episode during its actual run. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2010, 10:00:30 AM »

Oh, and I'm up and helper should be here momentarily so I guess I'd better get dressed.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2010, 10:00:33 AM »

Oh--that kind of "Skater"...  I think that pairing came to a distinct dead-end in the third episode of this season, if not at the end of last season.

After Googling it....I see.    What the writers presented last night was the PERFECT pairings-up!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 10:02:57 AM by Ron Pulliam »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2010, 10:01:31 AM »

For those dunderheaded amongst us (and I know who I am), could you please clarify "skaters" and the unconsummated pairing?  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2010, 10:01:55 AM »

Can someone s-p-e-l-l- this out for me?  I'm not getting it.

Hee, hee, hee.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up