Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: IRVING BERLIN GERMANY  (Read 18780 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re: IRVING BERLIN GERMANY
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2010, 07:51:06 AM »

TOD:  I really don't see much point in buying cast recordings in languages I don't understand.  I think I have few British cast recordings, but nothing other than that.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2010, 07:51:34 AM »

DR elmore - And speaking of your colleague, Curtis, I happened to run into him at yesterday's "Free for All" concert at Town Hall.  The featured guests were Stephanie Blythe and Warren Jones.  It was quite a wonderful program.  The centerpiece was a set of 12 Emily Dickinson poems set by James Legg - whom I believe you may have known (too).
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2010, 07:56:30 AM »

DR Jane to answer your question from last night. Yes I get cable. And yes i get a lot of extra channels. But the speciality channels in the US (like TNT, USA, Showtime, US Bravo...) are not available in Canada. I am pretty sure that nobody in canada can get these stations (or at least i've never heard of anybody who can get these specific stations).

We get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CNN and some other american channels. But for some reason not those speciality channels.  Although like i said last night. Most US shows are available here even if they are on those speciality channels. They are just carried on Canadian stations.

Hope that made sense.

That clarified it-thanks/

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2010, 07:58:51 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  I've been for a blood test and to drop another box of garage sale items at the site.  Now, waiting for the call from my mother about the scheduling of the steroid injection she's to have in her hip this week (yee-ouch!) - can't really make any other plans until that's booked.

Today, Richard, Rob, and I are celebrating the 22nd anniversary of our move into this house.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2010, 08:02:32 AM »

And the word of the day is: BALLETOMANE!

...And that's basically what I was this past Saturday as I found myself happily ensconced in the David Koch Theater at Lincoln Center for two programs presented by the New York City Ballet.

The matinee ended with "Thou Swell" which was a ballet set to a couple of Richard Rodgers' songs.  -It was originally presented as part of a Richard Rodgers evening back in 2003. Well...

WOW!

And I'm not talking about the dancing.  The arrangements of the songs were by Glen Kelly, and the orchestrations were by Don Sebesky and what a truly magical combination that turned out to be.  I truly found the Music a bit distracting - but in a good way.  Some of tunes were treated in a standard ballroom, big band fashion, but others were given some re-harmonizations and re-"feels".  I found myself crying when the pianist started "With A Song In My Heart" in a gentle, music-box waltz... Which then slowly built in a truly lush treatment of "The Song Is You"... Which then faded beautifully back into the waltz.  The few times I did find make the effort to pay attention to the dancers, I did find a good deal of the choreography a bit clichéd and uninspiring.  But, again, that MUSIC!  -I'd truly go back there, buy a cheapo seat in the 4th Ring just to listen to that suite of songs again.

*And, sadly, even though the onstage piano trio was given an acknowledgement during the bows, the conductor and orchestra were not. A true oversight and travesty!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2010, 08:08:36 AM »

The centerpiece of the evening program at New York City Ballet was the World Premiere of "Call Me Ben" - a new "ballet dramedy" choreographed by Melissa Barak, with a commissioned score by Jay Greenberg, along with a set elements designed by the architect Santiago Calatrava. Well...

I got a little worried when I read in the program that the piece included dialog for the dancers.  Then I got even a bit more worried when I read that said dialog was written by the choreographer and one of her friends/dancers.  Well... I'm afraid(?) I actually agree with the New York Times on this one:

Welcome to the Dance, Bugsy Siegel. Care to Say a Few Words?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2010, 08:12:52 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Well...

Hmm...

Non-English cast recordings of American musicals have never been more than a curiosity to me. So...

That's all I can say on this subject.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2010, 08:23:47 AM »

...And another highlight of yesterday's Free for All At Town Hall program were the two encores that Stephanie Blythe presented.  Both were written by her friend and composer, Alan Smith.  Each year, he writes a new song for her, a setting of a folk song.  She premiered both last year's "present" and this year's.  This year's song was a setting of "How Can I Keep From Singing?".  Her pianist, Warren Jones, ended up introducing this piece - while Miss Blythe stood in the curve of the piano starting to tear up.  He explained that both of them had had some "difficult times" over the past year - Stepanie's mother had recently passed - and that this song seemed very appropriate for the occasion. And it was.  And by the time she finished that last refrain, well... Not only was it a very beautiful setting of the song, but it was also a very truly moving performance.  Hardly a dry eye in the Hall.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2010, 08:24:54 AM »

My life flows on in endless song:
Above earth's lamentation,
I catch the sweet, tho' far-off hymn
That hails a new creation.
Through all the tumult and the strife
I hear the music ringing;
It finds an echo in my soul--
How can I keep from singing?

What tho' my joys and comfort die?
The Lord my Saviour liveth;
What tho' the darkness gather round?
Songs in the night he giveth.
No storm can shake my inmost calm,
While to that refuge clinging;
Since Christ is Lord of heaven and earth,

I lift my eyes; the cloud grows thin;
I see the blue above it;
And day by day this pathway smooths,
Since first I learned to love it.
The peace of Christ makes fresh my heart,
A fountain ever springing;
All things are mine since I am his--

When tyrants tremble, sick with fear,
And hear their death-knell ringing,
When friends rejoice both far and near,
In prison cell and dungeon vile,
Our thoughts to them go winging;
When friends by shame are undefiled,
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2010, 08:30:58 AM »

...And then my friend, Thomas, called me since he managed to snag a few comps to last night's performance of In the Heights, and since I hadn't seen the show in a while, well...

The show is in good shape.  Alas, I think I got spoiled by the original cast, however, Corbin Bleu is a good Usanvi (even if he still hasn't seemed to "be" Usnavi yet).  And judging from the bouquets being thrown on stage last night during the curtain call, as well as a special solo bow, last night was the last night for William B. Wingfield ("Will" from "So You Think You Can Dance?") as Graffiti Pete.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2010, 08:34:07 AM »

DR Ginny - The birthday party I attended on Friday night was for my friend, Jeremy, who happens to appear in that "Live from Lincoln Center" presentation of "Joshua Bell and Friends".  In fact, "Josh" even dropped by for a bit - as well as a slew of members from the New York Philharmonic and Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center.  It really was quite a wonderful party.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2010, 08:37:05 AM »

Jose, Doug says hi! I had a Gobbler on Friday afternoon after work. Mmm, mmm, mmm.

:)

Thanks, Ben.  I <3 Doug. Alas, Doug's ever-lovin' Bryan <3's him too. ;)

DR JoseSPiano:

<3?  <3's?

Translation, please!!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2010, 08:40:21 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - Look sideways.

;)

Or.. <3 = <heart>  As in "I <3 New York".

*In some programs, it will actually produce a "heart" dingbat: ♥
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2010, 08:43:11 AM »

Did you just call Ron Pulliam a dingbat?

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2010, 08:44:31 AM »

The only foriegn language cast album I have is the 1960s Japanese version of ANNIE GET YOUR GUN (which I still need to get a copy of to BK, as promised).
I like it very much.

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2010, 08:46:37 AM »

Do any DRs know of a good storage case that will hold DVD discs along with the insert (but not the plastic dvd case)?

I want to store my Bollywood DVDs, but in most cases I need to be able to store the insert as well, so that I can identify the title which is sometimes written in Hindi on the disc itself.

td

• td
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2010, 08:52:53 AM »

TOD:  I really don't see much point in buying cast recordings in languages I don't understand.  I think I have few British cast recordings, but nothing other than that.

Let me put this forth, as it's one of the reasons that I do enjoy foreign language recordings:
Music, like love, is a universal language; if done properly many shows should be listenable in any language whether they were originally conceived in Esperanto, Dutch, Italian or French. 

That said, I'm the guy who has multiple recordings, in many languages of:
BLOOD BROTHERS
TITANIC - the Dutch cast has been mentioned, but there is also a very good recording from Hamburg in German.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2010, 08:55:07 AM »

DR MBarnum - I believe you would like attending one of NYC Ballet's current programs. Well, I think you would at least like watching one of their Principal Dancers, Amar Ramasar

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2010, 09:19:15 AM »

Another reason to own foreign recordings of American shows: They frequently contain music not on the American album.  The Eyetalian Promises, Promise, which has Catherine Spaak in it, is the only album of Promises that has the dance music to A Fact Can Be A Beautiful Thing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2010, 09:19:36 AM »

I'm up, helper will be here at ten sharp and away we go.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2010, 09:29:12 AM »

As if the current tour of Dreamgirls was not mediocre enough...

*I seriously have to wonder who approved this graphic!?!?!?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2010, 09:33:04 AM »

re: cast recordings in foreign languages

Sometimes if you know a cast recording well in English then you do know what they are saying in the foreign language.

I find that most cast recordings sound beautiful in other languages.

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2010, 09:33:57 AM »

DR Jane, I am now next for GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST. Although i still have to finish the book i am reading. And i would like to finish one other book before i start it. Although if i get the book soon i would read it before my next book!

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2010, 09:34:43 AM »

One show that i'm not sure anyone here watches, IN PLAIN SIGHT starts here tonight. I believe it is on USA network and started a few weeks ago in the US. I really like this show.

td

• td
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2010, 09:38:29 AM »

I'm not sure that it counts, but, I do love the French recording(s) of IRMA LA DOUCE.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ginny

« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2010, 09:40:45 AM »

Very interesting, DR Jose.  Was Jeremy one of the featured guests, in the band, or in the audience?  We enjoyed the program very much!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2010, 09:43:33 AM »

Very interesting, DR Jose.  Was Jeremy one of the featured guests, in the band, or in the audience?  We enjoyed the program very much!

Yes, Jeremy was one of the pianists.
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2010, 09:44:46 AM »

I love HOW CAN I KEEP FROM SINGING?  I have done several spectacularly beautiful arrangements through the years.

In continuing It's An Honor Just to Be Nominated (since I don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of winning) news, I have been nominated for an OTAS Award for MDing The Producers.  If I get a Drammy nom, I'll be three for three.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Laura

« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2010, 09:47:21 AM »

Congratulations.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ginny

« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2010, 09:48:57 AM »

Great news, DR JMK!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up