Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE KEY TO THE NOTES  (Read 86383 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE KEY TO THE NOTES
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2004, 11:31:32 AM »

Who is Kenny Miller?!!!  Oh for goodness sake, he is the ex Mr Molly Bee for one thing.  He also appeared in both Attack of the Puppet People AND I Was a Teenage Werewolf....or Pete's sake.  I am sure MBARNUM will have MORE information, Gott in Mr Himmel!

Favorite operas:  Madama Butterfly, Carmen, and The Car Man

Favorite ballets:  Swan Lake and The Nutcracker
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2004, 11:32:11 AM »

Does anyone out there have the hardbound collection of N.Y. Times movie reviews that was published in the late 70s-early 80s?

I have it in storage.  I'm sure there is a Crowther review of WSS in there and it will probably mention an intermission.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ben

« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2004, 11:32:16 AM »

Somewhere in the mid-70s until we hit 40,000. We should be able to do this today. We are at 60 (or thereabouts) right now and by midnight CA time we can get 70 more posts, I think.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2004, 11:32:30 AM »

I am having casting block.  I usually love playing Bad Casting, but I cannot come up with a truely horrific cast for SP.  The best (or worst) I can come up with is:

NBC Theater presents

Your Favorite NBC Comedy Stars (circa 1988)
in

SOUTH PACIFIC!

Starring...

Shelley Long as Ensign Nellie Forbush
John Larroquette as Emile De Beque
Michael J Fox as Lt. Joseph Cable, U.S.M.C.
ALF as Luther Billis
Nell Carter as Bloody Mary
Lisa Bonet as Liat

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2004, 11:33:42 AM »

Well, DTM, that's a pretty good bad cast, if you ask me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2004, 11:34:46 AM »

Page Three Dance!   8)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2004, 11:34:56 AM »

RLP: Have you seen joecaps' latest?  Check out the West Side Story CD thread - he is now saying that WSS in its roadshow engagement in NY had no intermission.  This, of course, is nonsense.  It played twice a day, just as it did in LA and it had an intermission just as it did in all its two a day roadshow runs.  

It certainly had an intermission in Cincinnati when I saw it!  Am I correct that an Entr'Acted played as well before the second part began?  There was definitely an Entr'Acte for MY FAIR LADY, which I saw at the same theatre around four years later.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2004, 11:43:28 AM »

I'm fairly certain WSS had an intermission when it played Toronto. I found movie intermissions very annoying! I liked sitting there for hours. I did NOT want to leave the story and get up. I guess it was (is) different for the male of the species. (Not as if a woman could get into the Restroom unless she sprinted for the door the moment intermission started.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2004, 11:46:18 AM »

RLP: He's not saying it wasn't two shows a day, he's saying it had no intermission in NY (at the Rivoli, I believe).  He is, as always, full of it.  I believe it had the intermission everywhere where it played a two show a day roadshow engagement.

He's saying Mr. Wise told him it wasn't supposed to have an intermission.  PLEASE.  Or that it was "optional" for each theater where it played roadshow (again, PLEASE).  The theaters would have demanded an intermission because at two shows a day they needed the concession business.  It's quite simple really.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2004, 11:48:44 AM »

Welcome twelve GUESTS.  Today we're casting each and every one of you in South Pacific.

Laura II

« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2004, 11:49:02 AM »

Happy belated birthday to Joe! :D

Jed, your story cracked me up! I, like Tomovoz, want the video! I also enjoyed JMK's story. :) Your stories are preparing me for the outcome of my workplace's summer camps that I foresee occurring: I'm probably going to be on stage with 7-9 year olds performing Broadway Jr. shows. I've already been told that I might be cast as "any of the three sisters...or Golde" in Fiddler.  Oh, this also has reminded me that I am currently in a scene at work with a 7 year old in which we play 10 and tease each other about our crushes. Sure, that phase might start at 10 years old, but for some, it never ends. :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 11:50:40 AM by Laura II »
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2004, 11:49:53 AM »

I guess one of the GUESTS didn't want to BE in South Pacific.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2004, 11:50:57 AM »

Countdown to 40,000 posts.  I do believe we'll make it this very day.

MBarnum

« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2004, 11:54:16 AM »

BK,
Kenny Miller is an actor and singer who performed the song Eeny Meeny Miny Moe in I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF and he is the young man that Marlene Willis sings YOU’RE A DOLLY to in ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE both songs of which are on your most recent CD Jeepers Creepers of which Kenny evidently owns a copy of.

He also starred in:
ROCKABILLY BABY
SURF PARTY
GOING STEADY
LITTLE SHEPHERD OF KINGDOM COME
BATTLE FLAME
THE YOUNG GUNS
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 11:59:26 AM by MBarnum »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2004, 11:57:50 AM »

Well, here's one more post toward 40,000!  I'm already wearing my party hat and rouge, so let's get on with it!

Dear Friend BK, this bedlamite raving about an intermissionless WSS is a boob.  As Dr Pangloss says in Hellman's script, the uneducated say a great many foolish things.  The man's a boob.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2004, 12:01:27 PM »

I will second what DR TCB wrote for Danise.

These hotels have a few smaller rooms. Under no circumstances should you accept one of them.  I always ask for a room with two doubles beds.  That way the room has to be at least as big as can hold them. :)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2004, 12:03:56 PM »

Brenda Vacarro IS Nellie Forbush!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2004, 12:04:57 PM »

He's a well-known boob.  But you'd be shocked at the reaction I got when I took him on recently about the Valley of the Dolls soundtrack.  Despite many people offering proof he still would not admit defeat until we finally printed a newspaper ad that he could not refute.  Even then, he did not admit defeat immediately, he had to look up the ad for the film's opening - once he'd done that he knew he was done for and he begrudgingly admitted defeat and apologized.  Then everyone came on and said he had no reason to apologize and that I was somehow the meanie.  Hopeless people.  This guy does this all the time - he knows everything - he is the grand poobah of everything.  No one in the industry will go anywhere near him - they hate him and think him a dangerous buffoon.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2004, 12:12:03 PM »

I don't know from opera, and about as much from ballet.

That said, Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake and Cinderella were both amazing theatrical experiences when they played in Los Angeles.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2004, 12:24:42 PM »

RE: South Pacific:

NELLIE: Marissa Jaret Winokur
EMILE: Matthew Broderick
LT. CABLE: Billy Joel
BLOODY MARY: Judi Dench
LIAT: Bette Midler
LUTHOR: Robert Redford

And, as STEWPOT, our very own Able-bodied seaman, DR Jed!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2004, 12:27:36 PM »

With a special appearance by Victor Garber as President FDR!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2004, 12:29:45 PM »

Opera and ballet are really outside of my field of knowledge.

I love Carmen, and I like Madama Butterfly, La Boheme, and Pagliacci. That is just about the extent of my opera experience and knowledge.

I don’t care much for Nutcracker (which I guess somehow makes me anti-Christmas), but I enjoy Sleeping Beauty, and Swan Lake.  I used to love the works of the Joffrey Ballet, in particular The Green Table, and one that was called Olympics or The Olympics (or something like that).
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jed

« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2004, 12:33:11 PM »

Side effect to this Children of Eden mess...
It's seems so odd for me to be sans-facial hair!!!

*Note - The photo to the left hasn't been an accurate representation in this regard for a few months, as I'd gotten rid of the full beard, but still had the moustache and goatee... rather like DR George.  But this newly naked face of mine is just strange!!! :D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 12:35:14 PM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

William E. Lurie

« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2004, 12:39:18 PM »

If I remember, WSS was not supposed to have an intermission but one was added at the last minute.  The reason given for switching the position of "Cool" with "Officer Krupke" was to put the comedy number before the tragedy of the rumble so that when it was shown without an intermission it would flow better.  I seem to remember being surprised that it was done with no intermission in the Roadshow engagement in Chicago at the Michael Todd, but it's been over 40 years and I may be wrong.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2004, 12:43:05 PM »

The South Pacific Kitchen.

Starring Julia Child as Bloody Mary
Rachel Ray as Liat
Mario Batali as Luthor
Rocco DiSpirito as Lt. Cable
Emeril Lagasse as Emile
and
Martha Stewart as Nellie

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2004, 12:48:32 PM »

Today so far has been very unproductive. :P
I've been sitting in front of the computer like so much fish. Just got delivery of a large stack of scripts that I'm to read and judge for a major award. So I have to write AND I have to read. I have done neither, so far. I'm putting all this in print so I will be shamed into DOING IT. Someone down the line (Jane, for example) will ask how the work's going. It would be quite embarrassing to say, "It isn't. I'm still sitting here like a herring." No herring moi.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2004, 12:52:20 PM »

From today's Salon:

Morning Briefing:
No P.R. virgin she: Madonna is lashing out at Warner Music Group, with whom she and two other investors co-own Maverick Records and whom she is now both suing and being sued by. She's released the following statement to the press: "I find myself in the ludicrous position of being sued by my own record company, whom I have been loyal, industrious and reliable to for over 20 years. For them to behave this way is nothing short of treason." A Warner rep responded that the legal scuffle is "not about Madonna, an artist with whom we have a long-standing and very successful relationship." To which Madonna's manager, Caresse Henry, quipped: "It's like serving somebody divorce papers and then asking them when they want to go to dinner." (N.Y. Times)

Sound familiar?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 12:53:12 PM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2004, 12:58:35 PM »

Well, I saw WSS with an intermission, but clicking on the link below provides a UA memo about its presentation that does not include an intermission.

And in Hollis Alpert's notes on the original gatefold soundtrack album he writes:  "...with the intermission between acts eliminated, one rising line of tension from beginning to end was required...."

So for what it's worth....I present this information.  :P

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/wss_presentation.htm

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2004, 12:58:38 PM »

Side effect to this Children of Eden mess...
It's seems so odd for me to be sans-facial hair!!!

*Note - The photo to the left hasn't been an accurate representation in this regard for a few months, as I'd gotten rid of the full beard, but still had the moustache and goatee... rather like DR George.  But this newly naked face of mine is just strange!!! :D

Well Jed, I guess we will have to nickname you Baby Butt!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2004, 01:12:14 PM »

Does anyone out there have the hardbound collection of N.Y. Times movie reviews that was published in the late 70s-early 80s?

I have it in storage.  I'm sure there is a Crowther review of WSS in there and it will probably mention an intermission.

I have it and just read the review. It does not mention an intermission nor is there any mention of its division in the pic info and cast list that precedes the review.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up