Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WHY I OUGHTA...  (Read 48142 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WHY I OUGHTA...
« on: July 04, 2010, 11:40:42 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were entitled and you can download them illegally, and now it is time for you to post until the illegally downloaded cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: WHY I OUGHTA...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 11:41:16 PM »

And the word of the day is: RATAPLAN!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 12:26:15 AM »

TOD

SHELLY BERMAN
BOB NEWHART
BILL COSBY
BROTHER DAVE GARNER
ROSE MARIE
PHYLLIS DILLER
TOTIE FIELDS

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 12:55:09 AM »

TOD

BOB NEWHART
BILL COSBY
ROSE MARIE
PHYLLIS DILLER
TOTIE FIELDS

der Brucer

Ditto to these!

I'd never seen Shelly Berman or heard of Brother Dave Garner.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 04:17:55 AM »

Ditto to most of the ones already mentioned

TOD

THEN
Tom Lehrer
Stiller & Meara
Joan Rivers
Burns & Schrieber

TODAY
Pablo Francisco
John Pinette
Paula Poundstone

and these are the ones that come to mind right away
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 04:42:36 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 04:50:39 AM »

Morning, all
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 04:51:39 AM »

Good morning!

Tummy not feeling so good, probably from having left-over hot dogs and onion relish for dinner that came from the party we went to on the 3rd. Who knows how long they had been sitting out.

TOD: Victor Borge
Tom Lehrer
Vaughn Meader
Bob Newhart
Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner
Milton Berle
The Smothers Brothers
Bill Cosby

I know most of these aren't traditional "stand ups" (especially Lehrer and Borge :-)  ) but I loved their records when I was a kid!

Today...hmmm...not too familar with the current crop, but ones who are more recent than those above that I liked:
Jimmy Brogan
George Carlin
Emo Phillips
Judy Tenuta
A. Whitney Brown
Joel Hodgson
Kevin Nealon
Steven Wright
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

John G.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 04:52:15 AM »

TOD: I would happily second most of the names already mentioned with a special shout-out to Bob Newhart, who has taken minimalism to great heights of hilarity.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 04:53:00 AM »

Am feeling exhausted from cooking dinner for 11 on Saturday and the cleanup, which continues. But it's off to work.
Hope all of you have a good day.
― Voltaire

Edisaurus

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 04:54:39 AM »

After watching the fireworks at Lenox last night, I told Greg that I wished I could see how they do the whole setting-off process. Lo and behold, when we got home, PBS was airing a documentary about the history of fireworks, how they're made and the process of putting together a show. It was very interesting and answered a lot of questions I think about every time I see a fireworks show.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 04:55:43 AM »

I thought today was a holiday for most people, but I guess not. It's not a "garbage holiday", either!

John G.

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 04:56:50 AM »

Congrats on selling out of "Promises."
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 04:57:37 AM »

I thought today was a holiday for most people, but I guess not. It's not a "garbage holiday", either!
I work for a government agency but am not considered a government employee. So there's is no time-and-a-half for the day, either. But I need the hours and am grateful for them.
― Voltaire

td

• td
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 04:58:15 AM »

Has everybody read Jason Robert Brown's blog regarding file sharing?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 05:49:15 AM »

I'm up even before I need to be up.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 05:49:52 AM »

I had an e-mail just before I went to sleep from someone at that download site saying the link had already disappeared.  I'll go check to make sure.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 05:54:00 AM »

Nichols & May - particularly their Bargain Funeral routine.

Ed Sullivan always had the BEST comedians......

Totie Fields
Woody Allen

And I loved all of Steve Allen's routines and his Man on the Street Interviews with

Don Knotts & Louis Nye (Hi Ho Steverino!)

Phyllis Diller
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 05:54:32 AM »

Thoughts and prayers for Kyle friend of DR MBARNUM....what a terrible event!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 05:55:36 AM »

DR CILLA LIZ I also enjoyed AMERICA THE HISTORY OF US!

I also watched some episodes of SOUTHLAND on dvd and was still annoyed that in the first episode they identified a 1963 Chevrolet as a 1964 Chevrolet......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr r

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 05:56:42 AM »

And the word of the day is: RATAPLAN!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  BEAT OUT DAT RHYTHM ON A DRUM

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 05:59:00 AM »

1964 Chevrolet

1963 Chevrolet

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 06:00:09 AM »

Notice the difference.....really now!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2010, 06:17:02 AM »

New title is announced.  Download link is gone with the wind.  Now, get me off this damn page.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2010, 06:35:18 AM »

Good morning, all! I'm not really taking the day off, I'm working at home on my OZ presentation and Victor Herbert affairs. The Upper West Side has been amazingly quiet this long weekend, and I have really enjoyed it. I think this afternoon my friend Chris is stopping by and it will be nice to see him. Perhaps we'll go over to Artie's or somewhere else for dinner and I can hear all about his current round of dating and what his band is up to. They're performing on July 16 and he's been busy in the recording studio with them for the past couple of weeks.

Last night I had a long dream about working in the Miami University Library and cataloging many large green-bound collections of plays. I couldn't tell in the dream if I were there as a student assistant, a job I held for three years of undergrad and two years of grad school, or if I were on the library staff, a position I held the last year before I left Oxford for good. Anyway, I woke up thinking about a number of wonderful ladies I knew, worked with, and admired during those six years: Helen Ball, one of the best employers I ever worked for, Sarah Barr and her mother Esther Crist, Ruth Hines, who was my supervisor in the periodicals dept for the first three years I was a library assistant, Katy Guckler, a concentration camp survivor, and her sister, whose name I cannot remember, but she looked very much like harpsichordist Wanda Landowska. Katy and her sister both spoke English with a heavy Czech accent and they were opposites: Katy with very wild white hair and her sister with black hair pulled back into a bun, both very funny and sharp as tacks with wicked senses of humor.

I don't know why I'm remembering these women today, and I guess that most of them, if not all, are longer living. Still, I remember and honor them.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 08:42:09 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2010, 06:35:47 AM »

I was home before fireworks started last night and hadn't intended on watching any fireworks.  It turns out that my front yard is the perfect place to see a grand display of fireworks at a City park about a mile away.  So, I saw fireworks after all.

I said, "OOOoooohhhh!!," and I said, "AAAAAahhhhhhh!"   Because those are in the fireworks viewing rules.
I like boat races.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2010, 06:41:05 AM »

Good morning, all! I'm not really taking the day off, I'm working at home on my OZ presentation and Victor Herbert affairs. The Upper West Side has been amazingly quiet this long weekend, and I have really enjoyed it. I think this afternoon my friend Chris is stopping by and it will be nice to see him. Perhaps we'll go over to Artie's or somewhere else for dinner and I can hear all about his current round of dating and what his band is up to. They're performing on July 16 and he's been busy in the recording studio with them for the past couple of weeks.

Last night I had a long dream about working in the Miami University Library and cataloging many large green-bpind collections of plays. I couldn't tell in the dream if I were there as a student assistant, a job I held for three years of undergrad and two years of grad school, or if I were on the library staff, a position I held the last year before I left Oxford for good. Anyway, I woke up thinking about a number of wonderful ladies I knew, worked with, and admired during those six years: Helen Ball, one of the best employers I ever worked for, Sarah Barr and her mother Esther Crist, Ruth Hines, who was my supervisor in the periodicals dept for the first three years I was a library assistant, Katy Guckler, a concentration camp survivor, and her sister, whose name I cannot remember, but she looked very much like harpsichordist Wanda Landowska. Katy and her sister both spoke English with a heavy Czech accent and they were opposites: Katy with very wikd white hair and her sister with black hair pulled back into a bun, both very funny and sharp as tacks with wicked senses of humor.

I don't know why I'm remembering these women today, and I guess that most of them, if not all, are longer living. Still, I remember and honor them.

Elmore, have you ever heard one of Percy Faith's earliest big hits, the Azevedo tune "Delicado"?  That's Landowska's harpischord featured in that.  Percy and Mitch Miller were in the studio getting ready to record the tune and noticed the harpsichord in the corner, locked shut.  They managed to gently force the lock open and decided to feature the harpsichord on the tune (I can't remember what Percy's original orchestration called for).  I've always loved that story.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2010, 06:57:06 AM »

The funny thing about it is, because "Delicado" was such a huge smash, Faith started using harpsichords in his arrangements all the time, both for his own orchestra and for the tons of Columbia artists he was writing for ("Come on-a My House" by Rosemary Clooney, for example).

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2010, 06:57:39 AM »

And with that semi-fascinating bit o'trivia, we turn off the computer and head east!

Ginny

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2010, 07:12:48 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  We are staying with Mary Linda's grandfather and his wife (step-grandmother to ML).  Carol just fed us a fantastic brunch.  Also staying here are ML's aunt and almost-4-year-old cousin.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2010, 07:13:46 AM »

DR Elmore - the last I heard, Sarah was still living and her daughter Belinda is now working for MU libraries.  Third generation!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up