Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OTTO HARP  (Read 48505 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re: OTTO HARP
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2010, 08:09:48 AM »

We watched THE APARTMENT last night.  After 50 years, it remains one of the great movies.

But, watching it, I kept thinking about PROMISES, PROMISES, which will (hopefully) arrive today.  [Here in Texas, they still, at times, seem to use the Pony Express.]

I was wondering if, for the musical, they revamped the role of "C.C. Baxter," because as great a performer as he was, I can't really Jerry Orbach in that part.

Baxter, as written by Wilder/Diamond and played by Jack Lemmon, is a likable schnook.  Certainly, I can see Sean Hayes playing a schnook and, to a lesser degree, Tony Roberts, who (I believe) I saw do it in Los Angeles 40 years ago.

But, for the life of me, even though he won the Tony for his performance, I cannot see Orbach as a schnook.  [Nor, can I really see Jack Lemmon playing a NY Homicide cop.]

Did anybody here see Orbach do the role?  Did they de-schnook him (i.e. the role)?

I also wonder about this, DR Druxy.  I think Orbach sounds the part on the recording, but physically, I can't picture him doing it.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2010, 08:11:06 AM »

As you know from my book, dear reader Druxy, I saw Orbach many times.  He was, in fact, brilliant in the role and was a lovable shnook - just a different kind of lovable shnook.  The audience ate him up.  In those days he was very good looking and, in fact, looked very different than he did on Law and Order.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2010, 08:11:37 AM »

Again, he did not physically look like he did on Law and Order.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2010, 08:11:54 AM »

I'm up and shall await the arrivals of both CDs and helper.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2010, 08:17:27 AM »

I still hope to -- some day -- learn to play the piano.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2010, 08:18:50 AM »

Page Two Jerry Orbach Schnook Dance:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2010, 08:23:26 AM »

I just finished listening to Disk One of Kritzerland's PROMISES, PROMISES and I can hear the difference between this original LP mix and the previous CDs mix.  Much less shriller, more seperation, more low tones.  For that alone, the new release is worth the price.

But now I prepare to immerse myself into Disk Two...
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2010, 08:33:07 AM »

Let us know what you think.  And there's the Promises Jerry. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2010, 08:39:11 AM »

Welcome six GUESTS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2010, 08:39:25 AM »

Guess I'll shave now so I don't scare off the new helper.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2010, 08:40:51 AM »

Page Two Jerry Orbach Schnook Dance:

He certainly looks schnooky there.
You can dream…or you can do.

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2010, 08:50:05 AM »

DR Jane, the first episode of HOT IN CLEVELAND aired here last night. I thought that Betty White stole the show.  I didn't love it. But I did love the scenes that she was in. Such a hoot. I know that you said that you didn't really enjoy Valerie Bertinelli, but I quite enjoyed her.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2010, 08:50:15 AM »

We arrived in Rapid City yesterday after a VERY long day of driving, part of which was abated by DW Wife Betsy reading to me from a little book about Mel, Woody, and some other guy.  ;)  We went to Mt. Rushmore after dinner and stayed for the lighting ceremony.  The Ranger did Presidential trivia before the documentary they show, and I seemed to be the only one there with a lot of useless answers in my head.  :)  As much of a tourist trap as it seems to be, it was charming to drive through the little town of Keystone on the way to the monument.  Because it was getting late, we decided not to go see Crazy Horse.

I know you are all waiting with bated breath for my next report, which will probably be from Sioux Falls.

I am.

Jane

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2010, 08:58:33 AM »

This morning I was sad to say goodbye to the book I finished reading.  I was surprised by how much of the early years I remembered and by what I didn't.  I never watch the Merv episode.  Either you forgot to mention it or I couldn't be home for it.  When we moved to New Jersey you were still married.  There is a big gap there until my Dad ran into someplace and told me where you were working, plus sent me an article about you.

Jane

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2010, 09:01:09 AM »

DR Jane, the first episode of HOT IN CLEVELAND aired here last night. I thought that Betty White stole the show.  I didn't love it. But I did love the scenes that she was in. Such a hoot. I know that you said that you didn't really enjoy Valerie Bertinelli, but I quite enjoyed her.

I said she is the weak link in the cast.  I like her best in the first episode.  I'll be interested in what you think about the show by the 3rd episode.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2010, 09:06:53 AM »

Sioux Falls, Anaheim, and Cuckamonga
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2010, 09:22:04 AM »

TOD

The piano. Always wanted to play it.
Never stop dreaming.

Cillaliz

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2010, 09:28:09 AM »

We arrived in Rapid City yesterday after a VERY long day of driving, part of which was abated by DW Wife Betsy reading to me from a little book about Mel, Woody, and some other guy.  ;)  We went to Mt. Rushmore after dinner and stayed for the lighting ceremony.  The Ranger did Presidential trivia before the documentary they show, and I seemed to be the only one there with a lot of useless answers in my head.  :)  As much of a tourist trap as it seems to be, it was charming to drive through the little town of Keystone on the way to the monument.  Because it was getting late, we decided not to go see Crazy Horse.

I know you are all waiting with bated breath for my next report, which will probably be from Sioux Falls.

Sioux Falls?? You're only going to be 80 miles from me.  Are you staying over night there?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2010, 09:56:42 AM »

OMG!  BK, PROMISES, PROMISES Disk Two is fantastic!  Loved every second of it!  Everything pops out--the growl of the sax, the electric keyboard and especially the orchestral vocals.  Jerry Orbach now sounds like he's actually performing the songs and not just getting through them.  And the hidden track--what a find!  The perfect bookend to complete the recording.

I think my favorite track right now is TURKEY LURKEY TIME.  I've never been familiar with the lyrics because I never could completely make out what was being sung, but now every word is clear.

Hats off to you on this, BK!  Whatever you have planned for PROMISES, PROMISES, I vote YES now!
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2010, 09:56:49 AM »

Well it's tie in the Caption contest, but I am behind in the run off.....click, scroll down, and vote....if you will.  Thanks.

http://splendidmarbles.com/2010/07/06/cartoons/splendid-marbles-cartoon-caption-contest-70/

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2010, 09:59:32 AM »

Sioux Falls?? You're only going to be 80 miles from me.  Are you staying over night there?

Sioux Falls?

Sioux Falls?!?

Slowly, I turned...step by step...inch by inch...
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2010, 10:04:44 AM »

You are catching up, DR JRand!
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2010, 10:06:27 AM »

Gee, from the sound of it, we should all take a piano class.

Now if only we knew someone who played the thing...
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2010, 10:14:55 AM »

DR Charles Pogue's friend Harlan Ellison is selling some rare books (this site is not easily read, though...)

-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2010, 10:25:16 AM »

You are catching up, DR JRand!

Yep and the other guy only has 9 votes. It won't take too many HHW votes to beat him.

Jennifer

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2010, 10:26:44 AM »

I said she is the weak link in the cast.  I like her best in the first episode.  I'll be interested in what you think about the show by the 3rd episode.

I liked VB in the first episode.

Thom

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2010, 10:31:07 AM »

Hi everybody.  I have been a lurker for a few weeks.  I realize that everyone on this list is very familiar with each other. Therefore, I hope that you will get to know me also. I became aware of Bruce through Kritzerland, since I have ordered a majority of his CD's. I just started reading his books yesterday, starting with "Benjamin Kritzer." This book is my period having been born in 1942. I notice that most posts are very short, so I will end for now.

Thom

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2010, 10:32:29 AM »

Welcome to new Dear Reader THOM!

Not ALL posts are short!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2010, 10:45:21 AM »

Preamble to a lecture:

S Woody (opening the mail):

"Promises, Promises", why did you buy this, we already have a copy!

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2010, 10:50:46 AM »

I am still behind.....

See link above. Please vote.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up