Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ALL THINGS CONSIDERED  (Read 43618 times)

Jennifer

Re: ALL THINGS CONSIDERED
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2010, 12:25:45 PM »

DR Jane does Keith want to read the book now?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »

Jennifer it is possible the French dubbing is better than the English. 

Jennifer

« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2010, 12:26:52 PM »

I had been nervous about the casting and how I would feel about the two leads.  Now it is difficult to imagine anyone else in the roles.

That is too funny! ;)

Jane

« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2010, 12:27:06 PM »

DR Jane does Keith want to read the book now?

No.  He doesn't read much anymore.  He spends his time working on the computer doing genealogy research.  For fun he plays computer games. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2010, 12:27:42 PM »

The Girl Who Played With Fire may be a bit more violent....but the trailer for the first one looked like it would be more violent

This is for the second movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9G4GiUxJek

Jane

« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2010, 12:28:10 PM »

So Paul said they found a partially finished 4th novel in Sieg Larsson's computer when he died.  Is that a rumor or is it true?

True.  Don't expect to ever read it.

Jennifer

« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2010, 12:29:04 PM »

Jennifer it is possible the French dubbing is better than the English. 

I'm not really an expert on dubbing. So i don't know how the french version compares to other french versions. But all blockbuster movies play here in french. So they dub everything.

I just didn't think i would be able to follow the subtitles in french. I thought it would be too fast. Watching it in french while reading the french was much easier for me to follow.

Jane

« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2010, 12:29:31 PM »

The Girl Who Played With Fire may be a bit more violent....but the trailer for the first one looked like it would be more violent

LOL.  I read the second book and am expecting more violence.

Jane

« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2010, 12:31:33 PM »

Exciting-thanks.

Jane

« Reply #99 on: July 08, 2010, 12:31:51 PM »

Time to go to the library and then PT.

Jennifer

« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2010, 12:32:21 PM »

So Paul said they found a partially finished 4th novel in Sieg Larsson's computer when he died.  Is that a rumor or is it true?

True.  Don't expect to ever read it.

His father has the rights to it and doesn't want to publish it. DR Jane and i have been discussing this. I think that if it is a really good outline (which is what i heard) then the father should get the same translator and another author he trusts to do it. Obviously the fans would go crazy for it.

Jennifer

« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2010, 12:33:25 PM »

I saw the GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE dvd. It came out here a few months ago.  I know it was violent. But I don't remember if it was more or less than the first movie.

However if you liked the first movie i'm sure you'll all like the second one.

Jennifer

« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2010, 12:38:29 PM »

DR Cillaliz, re: that youtube clip. You were right. They say so much in Swedish and then put that in one line!

I guess I don't watch enough foreign films. Because Swedish sounds so complex to my ears.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2010, 12:49:55 PM »

You be the judge:

NY TIMES MAGAZINE

Lars Tunbjork for The New York Times

Eva Gabrielsson, Larsson's partner, in Stockholm. Excluded in the division of his estate, she still has a coveted possession: an unfinished fourth novel.

Legally Gabrielsson has no claim, but she has asserted a kind of moral entitlement. She also has a crucial piece of the Larsson legacy: a laptop computer containing roughly three-quarters of a fourth novel.

As for the novel on the laptop, she said she hoped that it would never be published. “They have made enough money, which is their main objective,” she said, referring to the Larssons. But the manuscript is her only bargaining chip, and she may be in the best position to know what needs to be done to make the text publishable. John-Henri Holmberg has guessed that because of the way Larsson wrote, often working on more than one book at a time, there may be a fair amount of outline and even actual text for a fifth book and possibly a sixth. The computer files are an enormously valuable property, because of readers’ appetites for more Larsson and because, as Scott Rudin suggested to me, of the movie potential. At the moment, film producers have rights to only the three published novels. A new contract could conceivably liberate Blomkvist and Salander from books altogether and allow them, like James Bond, to go on having movie adventures indefinitely.

der Brucer

The link is to a very long detailed article on the author and his life/estate
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

MBarnum

« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2010, 01:04:22 PM »

DR MBarnum, how is DD Bosco?

He is holding on. I got him to eat yesterday and Tuesday, but he wouldn't eat this morning. Thanks for asking.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2010, 01:08:41 PM »

DR MBarnum, how is DD Bosco?

He is holding on. I got him to eat yesterday and Tuesday, but he wouldn't eat this morning. Thanks for asking.

Just hold onto the strength to let him go when it's time.

der Brucer

MBarnum

« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2010, 01:10:47 PM »

I have not seen very many Swedish films, so I am sort of intrigued by the discussion of the dragon tattooed girl. However, I may just wait for the Bollywood version. I prefer musical numbers in my violent revenge dramas.

Laura

« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2010, 01:13:14 PM »

(((((MBarnum)))))
"That's a lotta hamsters."

DERBRUCER

« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2010, 01:14:14 PM »

I have not seen very many Swedish films, so I am sort of intrigued by the discussion of the dragon tattooed girl. However, I may just wait for the Bollywood version. I prefer musical numbers in my violent revenge dramas.

How about the best of all worlds:

A Bollywood version of "The Dragon With the Girl Tattoo"

der Brucer

Jennifer

« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2010, 01:35:20 PM »

Thanks for that link DR Der Brucer.

I get why she would want to use the laptop/manuscript as a bargaining tool. But i don't get why she would want to deny people the chance to read the books.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2010, 01:42:55 PM »

As predicted by you-know who:

LA TIMES

Pasadena Playhouse emerges from Chapter 11 bankruptcy
July 8, 2010 |  9:16 am

The Pasadena Playhouse said it emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy on Wednesday after a court in Los Angeles approved the theater company's plans for reorganization. The company also said that it has received a matching pledge of $1 million by anonymous donors as part of its fundraising efforts.

Since shutting down its main stage in February, the Pasadena Playhouse has been searching for ways to pay down its debt, which recently stood at $2.3 million, most of it owed to subscribers, bankers and vendors.

In a statement issued on Thursday, Stephen Eich, the playhouse's executive director, said that the company has created a plan "to resurrect the Playhouse from years of unbearable debts. Although we will be moving slowly in the future to ensure financial responsibility and stability, we will in fact be back."

The law firm of Munger, Tolles, and Olson LLC is serving as the company's pro-bono legal team, while Alvarez & Marsal is providing pro-bono financial advising. The playhouse had filed a petition for reorganization under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code in early May.

The $1-million matching pledge comes from a group of anonymous donors, said the playhouse. The company hopes that the announcement will encourage other donors to step forward to match or exceed the $1-million gift.

The company said that plans for a fall 2010 production will be announced at a later date.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 01:44:57 PM by DERBRUCER »

Jennifer

« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2010, 01:51:39 PM »

That is a very interesting article.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2010, 01:53:07 PM »

But i don't get why she would want to deny people the chance to read the books.

I suspect this is the cry of a women being scorned - enough money will probably ease the pain. (...and a deal that would include her in the creative process!)

der Brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2010, 02:14:17 PM »

Opening night break-a-leg vibes to DR JRand and the cast & crew of BLITHE SPIRIT!!!

DITTO!!!

DOUBLE DITTO!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2010, 02:23:12 PM »

However, I may just wait for the Bollywood version. I prefer musical numbers in my violent revenge dramas.

I suggest you make this statement into a sampler and hang it over your bed. The next time you wonder why you are single,  it may come in helpful.

Mikey, I send Bosco my best wishes.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2010, 02:25:53 PM »

Ms Becca Luker was as lovely as ever. We had a great Victor Herbert rehearsal, and she seems happy with all her song assignments. Then she and I walked up Broadwat from 73rd Street to the 86th Street subway, catching up and gossiping. I do love her.

And the good news is that the McGlinn estate sent me a check today for last month's work. Thank you, Jesus!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2010, 02:29:41 PM »

As predicted by you-know who:

LA TIMES

Pasadena Playhouse emerges from Chapter 11 bankruptcy
July 8, 2010 |  9:16 am

The Pasadena Playhouse said it emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy on Wednesday after a court in Los Angeles approved the theater company's plans for reorganization. The company also said that it has received a matching pledge of $1 million by anonymous donors as part of its fundraising efforts.

Since shutting down its main stage in February, the Pasadena Playhouse has been searching for ways to pay down its debt, which recently stood at $2.3 million, most of it owed to subscribers, bankers and vendors.

In a statement issued on Thursday, Stephen Eich, the playhouse's executive director, said that the company has created a plan "to resurrect the Playhouse from years of unbearable debts. Although we will be moving slowly in the future to ensure financial responsibility and stability, we will in fact be back."

The law firm of Munger, Tolles, and Olson LLC is serving as the company's pro-bono legal team, while Alvarez & Marsal is providing pro-bono financial advising. The playhouse had filed a petition for reorganization under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code in early May.

The $1-million matching pledge comes from a group of anonymous donors, said the playhouse. The company hopes that the announcement will encourage other donors to step forward to match or exceed the $1-million gift.

The company said that plans for a fall 2010 production will be announced at a later date.

der Brucer

But I never say "I told you so" although I told you so :)  There was never any question about the original doom and gloom smoke and mirrors horse manure.  It was always coming back - they knew it and anyone with a brain knew it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2010, 02:29:51 PM »

Back from a very nice lunch.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2010, 02:40:54 PM »

I'm not really an expert on dubbing.

No?  Are you, perhaps, a pretend expert on dubbing?

;)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2010, 02:43:41 PM »

Because Swedish sounds so complex to my ears.

So...it's like...umm....Greek to you, eh!

;)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up