Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ALL THINGS CONSIDERED  (Read 43430 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
ALL THINGS CONSIDERED
« on: July 08, 2010, 12:03:19 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were both all things and considered, and now it is time for you to post until the all things considered cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: ALL THINGS CONSIDERED
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 12:04:03 AM »

And the word of the day is: CONGERIES!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 12:24:50 AM »

Topic of the Day: :-X ...unless I can think of something that can be posted for all the world to see/read.

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 12:25:28 AM »

And now, I MUST go to bed.

Good night, all.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 04:07:17 AM »

Good morning, all!

I do believe this morning I have to schlep over to the NYU Dental Clinic to resolve the appointment issue for next Wednesday. If they had a phone number that actually worked, perhaps I could do it by phone, but that would be too easy. It's about an hour trip by subway and bus, so I'll be out of here very shortly. After that, another McGlinnventory morning.

As to my bank account, no movement from the California office, which doesn't surprise me, but I am concerned about what's going on, since my colleague who sent yesterday's bad news has responded to neither of my emails. We're heading to an ugly confrontation and I am not happy about that.

I've got to ponder the TOD; there are a great many foolish things I've done over 60 years. The main concern is, which do I talk about, and which are too painful/embarrassing/humiliating to bring up.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 04:57:44 AM »

I've had so many blessings over the years that the screw-ups don't readily come to mind. But I think the biggie was in not getting a master's degree right after finishing my bachelor's. It wasn't necessarily back in 1984, but it's necessary now. And I may be correcting that by starting on a master's in the fall or spring.

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 05:00:12 AM »

BK, glad you liked "Dragon Tattoo." I felt like you did, that the pacing was wonderful even though the movie was long. Perhaps some of the reaction to the violence was that it was a woman exacting revenge on a man. There is a double standard, even if most people don't want to recognize it -- and that was one of the points of the book and the movie.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 05:00:30 AM »

Have fun today, y'all.
― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 05:01:34 AM »

Last night I commented that I wouldn't want to watch an amazon download if i had to watch it on my computer.

DR TCB asked why.

Cause my tv is MUCH bigger than my computer screen!

Jennifer

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 05:10:23 AM »

re: the movie THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON? TATTOO and BK's review.

It is extremely violent. Not the kind of violence in most movies.  But still the kind that would make many people uncomfortable to watch.

I loved the books. And really liked the movies. And the story has a lot of violence. So obviously they had to include it.  But I don't think that you should say that people who found it too violent don't know what they are saying.  Maybe I have a problem with people who dismiss it simply because of the violence.. But to me the movie is still undeniably violent. And not for anyone under 18.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 05:15:22 AM »

I don't discuss my mistakes.....you will have to wait for the memoir.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 05:16:00 AM »

I just listened to the SECOND CD of PP - and I must say I can only echo what others have said and written....it is GLORIOUS!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 05:17:10 AM »

There is nothing NOTHING that could make me be interested in reading a book OR seeing a movie called THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO......just as I have avoided THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS and THE SECRETS OF THE YA YA SISTERHOOD....

NOTHING!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 05:18:13 AM »

I seem to be ahead by five votes right now.....and I guess if you have two computers with different IP addresses, you can vote twice.....anyway.....thanks everyone.

If you haven't voted yet, please do.

http://splendidmarbles.com/2010/07/06/cartoons/splendid-marbles-cartoon-caption-contest-70/

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 05:18:31 AM »

Tonight is opening night for BLITHE SPIRIT - and it is what it is.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 05:18:44 AM »

And today is grocery shopping day.

KevinH

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 05:22:40 AM »

I voted, JRand!

KevinH

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 05:30:08 AM »

Hello all- I'm back from the UK. 

I think the last I wrote about was the concert in Birmingham on Friday.  Well, on Saturday I took the train to Cheltenham (for the "Cheltenham Festivals").    I saw a short play with Patricia Routledge called "Admission: One Shilling--a Tribute to Myra Hess."  It was about a classical pianist who arranged for concerts to be held in the National Gallery in London during WWII.  All the theatres were closed and she thought the people of London should have some entertainment.    Ms. Routledge sat in a chair and did a monologue (with a script in her lap).  She would speak for a few minutes and then a terrific pianist named Piers Lane played excerpts from classical pieces.    It was well worth seeing.

KevinH

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 05:35:26 AM »

Later than evening I saw the Rodgers and Hammerstein concert again.  Brent and Kim were just great! 

Brent informed me that he'll be doing "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" at the North Shore Music Theatre in Massachusetts from Sept. 21-Oct. 10.   That's one I'd really like to see.

KevinH

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 05:38:33 AM »

On Sunday I went to Edinburgh.   My friends, Sandy and Roddy,  picked me up at the airport and we went to their house (about an hour away) in a picturesque little town called Tweedbank.   The next day we went on a little tour, seeing a castle or two and then on a tour of Abbottsford, the home of Sir Walter Scott.  It was a magnificent place.   My friends were the perfect hosts. 

Ben

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 05:39:01 AM »

Hey, Kevin, sounds like you had a good time. But then you were in Ireland and England. How could you NOT have a good time?!

KevinH

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 05:40:43 AM »

Then it was back home yesterday.  I left the hotel at 8 a.m. (3 a.m. Eastern Time) and didn't get back home until about 9:30 p.m.   Travelling can be exhausting.

KevinH

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 05:42:29 AM »

Hey, Kevin, sounds like you had a good time. But then you were in Ireland and England. How could you NOT have a good time?!

You're right, Ben!   And I loved the weather.  I was in the 70's most of the time and I think it was probably in the high 50's Monday evening in Scotland--it was great.   I knew what I was facing when I got back, although it's cooling down a little in DC--it's supposed to be only 95 today!

KevinH

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 05:45:27 AM »

I'm home for one day and then leave tomorrow for a wedding near Buffalo.  By next Monday I will have been on 10 planes since June 26!

Ginny

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 05:47:16 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  Today will be a very VERA day for me.  VB is launching their new fall line today and my local enabler retailer is having festivities starting at 10am.  Then, several of my friends are meeting late this afternoon at the Cincinnati signature store and dinner at the Cheesecake Factory.  I'll do most of my shopping at the local shop, because I want her to stay in business.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Kerry

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 05:48:29 AM »

It's already 92 degrees at 5:47 am, so that's more or less an indication f the rest of the day!    :-[ :-\ :P
I like boat races.

Ginny

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2010, 05:49:39 AM »

Welcome back, DR KevinH!  Although not as elaborate as your travels, my husband and I are leaving tomorrow for our 3rd weekend in a row away.  I'm not complaining, but I also haven't even put a lot of my travel gear away for the intervening weekdays.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2010, 06:01:15 AM »

Opening night break-a-leg vibes to DR JRand and the cast & crew of BLITHE SPIRIT!!!

KevinH

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2010, 06:21:03 AM »

Thanks, DRGinny-I hope you have a nice weekend away.

KevinH

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2010, 06:21:32 AM »

Opening night break-a-leg vibes to DR JRand and the cast & crew of BLITHE SPIRIT!!!

Ditto!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up