Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: LA - THE CITY THAT WAS  (Read 52436 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re: LA - THE CITY THAT WAS
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2010, 06:04:54 AM »

! ! ! ! !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR CILLALIZ  ! ! ! ! !
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2010, 06:08:49 AM »

Page Two Iowa State Tap Dance:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2010, 06:09:42 AM »

TOD:

Unfortunately, the Seattle of my youth no longer exists, which is probably why I don't have a strong desire to return there.

All my favorite movie theaters (i.e. the Roycroft, Orpheum, Liberty, Coliseum, Blue Mouse) are gone, as is my favorite restaurant (Pancho's).

:'(

You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2010, 06:11:36 AM »

I received the corrected galley proofs for my book this morning, so once I check to see that all my corrections were made properly, I guess it will be on the way to the printers.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2010, 06:11:53 AM »

Good morning, all! I went to bed at 9:30, read the new book on WEST SIDE STORY for abuot an hour and turned off the lights, so I got about 10 hours' worth of sleep last night, and I'm feeling pretty good. This afternoon at 3, I'm getting together with Andy Buck, a friend from my Drama Book Shop days whom I've not seen in around 15 years. That will be a lot of fun, I think.

I had to call the post office this morning and complain; on July 3, I put in a request to have my mail held from July 9-12, and when I got home yesterday, I found two letters and a brochure in my post box and two packages left under my door mat. I needed to complain to the ass in charge that they had screwed up - this is the second time in a year this has happened! - and to determine if there were more mail I should come to pick up. No wonder the damned morons running the US Postal System claim they're in trouble. Onceis an accident, twice is incompetence.

I have to do some laundry this morning. I guess I should get started.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Birthday to DR Cillaliz !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2010, 06:12:41 AM »

Nope!

Not quite yet.

We still haven't finalized the back cover.

:)

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2010, 06:27:58 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  It's a lazy morning here in Canton, OH, as Richard and I prepare to move on to Ashland (OH, DR Jane, not OR  :'() for the Ohio Chautauqua.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2010, 06:28:21 AM »

Happiest of birthdays to DR Cillaliz!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2010, 06:35:43 AM »

Hey, Thom, although I grew up in Minnesota, I was born in Detroit (along with my 4 sisters and one of my two brothers) and my parents grew up in Ecorse and River Rouge. Many of our relatives are still in various Detroit suburbs and we would make trips back to see them over the years. I remember Vernor's Ginger Ale and Faygo soda and Bob-Lo Amusement Park. My mother worked for Hudson's as a teenager and never got over the fact that Dayton's Department Store bought Hudson's and now neither of those stores exist.

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2010, 06:43:03 AM »

I was raised in Detroit and have very good memories of my childhood.  What do I miss about Detroit? 1) The Pontchartrain Wine Cellars, 2) Little Harry's Restaurant, 3) Street cars, 4) The Ford Rotunda, 5) Downtown Hudson's at Christmas time, 6) Vernor's Ginger Ale, 7) Sanders hot fudge sundaes, 8) Soupy Sales (originally from Detroit), 9) the Van Dyke Place restaurant, and too many other things to mention. I hope that some of you have heard of a few of these places and things.

Oh, my, DR Thom, I grew up in Detroit, too, and your post could almost be MY post!  I miss the downtown Hudson's at ANY time of year, WJR (from the Golden Tower of the Fisher Building), the Detroit Institute of Arts and the Main Library, Hilberry Classic Theatre at Wayne State University, and the arches of elm trees that lined the residential streets.  The restaurant I miss is Snow White on Grand River.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2010, 06:59:13 AM »

TOD:

Sadly, the majority of locations I grew up with in East Camden, NJ, no longer exist or are barely recognizable.  The businesses are all gone:  Banasz's 5 & 10 (with it's terrific toy department), Stem's Pharmacy (comics, magazines, candy, soda and ice cream--and those "girl things" for my sisters that I was sometimes bribed to run up to buy), Zibby's Tavern and Pool Hall (my Dad's hangout and fishing club headquarters), the Crescent Theater (my first movie theatre), Mack's Hobbies (the latest Matchbox Cars and Aurora plastic models were available there), Morton Bakery (my Mom like their baked goods but she thought they were expensive--they always had the best holiday window displays on Mt. Ephraim Avenue, though.)

Some places still remain:  Bonsall Elementary School (its schoolyard was right across the street from our house but we more often played on the building and grounds) is still up and running.  Likewise, West Jersey Hospital (we were forever being chased from our explorations on the surrounding grounds), Whitman Park (its huge green stovepipe was the largest structure for miles around), and my own grammar school, St Joseph's Elementary (no longer functioning--the two school buildings, the nuns' convent and the rectory are all closed, only the cathedral is still open.)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 07:01:41 AM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2010, 07:04:58 AM »

BK, Nostalgic says thanks for the waxing.  She now looks very good in her bikini.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2010, 07:19:43 AM »

I forgot to mention the TOD! There's really very little beyond freinds and family that I miss about Middletown, Ohio, except the entire missing downtown area of stores and restaurants that are now gone: Murphy's Five and Dime candy counter and soda fountain Coca Cola, Gallagher Drugs and its lunch counter, which always smelled of perfect grilled cheese sandwiches, the Liberty Restaurant and its fantastic hot dogs, Elite's Ice Crream Parlor, the old Ortman Stewart bus terminal and its great magazine selection, Kresge's pet department, the wonderful Paramount movie theatre, all gone.  At least we still have Central Pastry and Milton's Donuts!

When I was a kid, going downtown after a trip to the pblic library was always an adventure. Very sad now to go back to visit and pass all those empty shops. It's like Salem's Lot during the day before the vampires come out to play.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 08:30:28 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2010, 07:22:42 AM »

I grew up in Greater Cincinnati and it was a great downtown.  All the major movie palaces were centered around fountain square...and they were palaces.  It's where you went to see a movie, there were no multiplexes.  Lots of bookstores...three on main street, now only one is left.  BK, you may remember Bertrand Smith's Long Beach (is it still there?).  Well, Betrand Smith started in Cincy and had a store of five floors of used books.  We had the Schubert Theatre through which came all the major Broadway Road shows...not just the musicals...I remember saving to see HOSTILE WITNESS with Ray Milland, I think two front row balcony seats came to about 12 bucks.

I remember the WHEEL, a great cafeteria; the Luau...all you can eat joint; Ted Klusewski's Steak House (Big Klu played first base for the Cincy Reds and was known for cutting off the sleeves of his shirt, so his big biceps always showed); The Cricket...a coffee shop 

Every Christmas, GE would put up a great electric train display.   There were four major department stores (one named Pogue's...not that I was an inheriting relative).  Bell Block News was where I often purchased comics and Edgar Rice Burroughs paperbacks.  Wurlizter where I took guitar lessons.  A great public library(...still a great library). It was a bustiling downtown and only a short bus ride over the river from where I lived in Northern Kentucky.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2010, 07:38:44 AM »

TOD - While I didn't really "grow up" in San Mateo, I lived there until I was 9 and moved back when I was 18, but it's San Mateo that has always been my home.  One of the things I like to do is go for a bike ride as my daily exercise and go up and down the streets I remember as  kid and see what's changed.  Needless to say, it wasn't the same place 30 years ago and that's kinda sad. 

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2010, 07:39:46 AM »

Happy Birthday Cillaliz!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2010, 07:39:47 AM »

Just so there's a good post count on Cilla Day, I'll do this one by one

Cillaliz

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2010, 07:39:59 AM »

Thanks DR Laura

Cillaliz

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2010, 07:40:07 AM »

Thanks Vixmom

Cillaliz

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2010, 07:40:23 AM »

Thanks DR Ben for the Cilla Day Wishes to all

Cillaliz

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2010, 07:40:34 AM »

Thanks DR Michael S

Cillaliz

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2010, 07:40:40 AM »

Thanks DR Kerry

Cillaliz

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2010, 07:41:02 AM »

Thanks DR JRand, hope you find lots of goodies at Good Will on Cilla Day

Cillaliz

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2010, 07:41:27 AM »

Thanks DR Druxy

Cillaliz

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2010, 07:41:47 AM »

Thanks DR Dan the Man

Cillaliz

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2010, 07:42:03 AM »

Thanks DR Elmore

Cillaliz

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2010, 07:42:13 AM »

Thanks DR Ginny

Cillaliz

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2010, 07:44:22 AM »

It's so lovely to wake up to the greetings here and on FB.  I also woke up to rain, so I called  to see if the painters are coming and the answer was no, they are going to wait untill Wednesday.  I'm at the office and will get some work done, but my only appointment cancelled, so I think I'll spend the afternoon using a couple gift cards I've had for awhile as well as the birthday money mom sent.  My favorite store sent me a $25 off card so I think I'll go and buy something to wear to PEO tonight.

Cillaliz

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2010, 07:49:42 AM »

As to the TOD - there isn't much I miss in my home town. Partly because my parents still live in the house they built 2 years before I was born.  So, everything that meant the most to me is still gone.   I guess if there is anything I miss it is the people who have moved away or passed away.  There have been a lot of  changes, but nothing that bothers me

Cillaliz

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2010, 07:50:11 AM »

and since we're so close.....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up