Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: LA - THE CITY THAT WAS  (Read 52439 times)

Cillaliz

Re: LA - THE CITY THAT WAS
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2010, 07:50:26 AM »

HAPPY CILLA DAY TO DR TCB!!!!!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2010, 08:17:56 AM »

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR CILLALIZ

Cillaliz

« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2010, 08:18:56 AM »

Thanks DR ArnoldMBrockman!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2010, 08:22:48 AM »

TOD

BROOKLYN NEW YORK

284 EASTERN PARKWAY

3 Blocks from THE BROOKLYN MUSEUM

5 Blocks From EBBETS FIELD

Main Branch BROOKLYN LIBRARY

PROSPECT PARK

BROOKLYN BOTANICAL GARDENS

Four Movie Theatres- LOEW'S KAMEO,SAVOY,BELL,LINCOLN

BEN and SOLS DELI

PS 241

ALL WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE

Those Were The Days,My Friend

Jennifer

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2010, 08:46:05 AM »

DR Jane re: Lisa Gardner.

I'm not even sure how many books there are in the series (i only saw 3 on amazon.com). i'm not sure if it is a series where they follow closely. I don't think so. I really wanted to read the book (the neighbor). I am going to the library again today. So i will see if her books are there so i can take a look.

My mom is usually the one who reads mysteries and she loves janet evanovich/stephanie plum.

It is funny that you say that your brother reads almost exclusively male authors. I am the opposite. I read mostly female authors although not really intentionally. I read a lot of young adult books and most of them are written by women.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 08:50:06 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2010, 08:48:07 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Cillaliz.  Hope you have a great day with lots of cake!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2010, 09:03:34 AM »

Cilla,

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2010, 09:05:29 AM »

DR Jane re: Lisa Gardner.

I'm not even sure how many books there are in the series (i only saw 3 on amazon.com). i'm not sure if it is a series where they follow closely. I don't think so. I really wanted to read the book (the neighbor). I am going to the library again today. So i will see if her books are there so i can take a look.

My mom is usually the one who reads mysteries and she loves janet evanovich/stephanie plum.

It is funny that you say that your brother reads almost exclusively male authors. I am the opposite. I read mostly female authors although not really intentionally. I read a lot of young adult books and most of them are written by women.

My brother's picks are intentional ;D  Knowing his tastes there really are very few women author's I would suggest to him.  Personally I think he is missing out on a lot of good books :)

Cillaliz

« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2010, 09:09:29 AM »

Thanks DR Jennifer, I've already had a slice of Italian Cream from my favorite coffee shop...I'm sure there will be more to come

Cillaliz

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2010, 09:09:38 AM »

Thanks DR Jane!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2010, 09:17:54 AM »

I grew up in Coon Rapids, Minnesota. Do you really think I miss anything about it???

Yes.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2010, 09:23:02 AM »

HAPPY CILLA DAY!

And special birthday wishes for our own DR Cillaliz.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2010, 09:39:55 AM »

The laundry is finished and I am about to step out for some erraands. I'll end up at Toyland before I head down to meet my friend Andy at 3:00.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2010, 09:47:35 AM »

Wonderful waxing posts today.

Thom

« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2010, 09:47:46 AM »

Oh, my, DR Thom, I grew up in Detroit, too, and your post could almost be MY post!  I miss the downtown Hudson's at ANY time of year, WJR (from the Golden Tower of the Fisher Building), the Detroit Institute of Arts and the Main Library, Hilberry Classic Theatre at Wayne State University, and the arches of elm trees that lined the residential streets.  The restaurant I miss is Snow White on Grand River.

DR Ginny - I am happy to report that the Detroit Institute of Arts went through a major renovation and is now better than ever. I am a graduate of Wayne State University and I am a contributor to the Hilberry Theatre, which is still very active and important to the community.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2010, 09:48:03 AM »

Vernor's Ginger Ale is still alive and well - I but it quite often in Los Angeles, California and love it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2010, 09:51:56 AM »

I suppose I mourn most the loss of all the single screen theaters in LA, especially the nabes and especially the ones I went to.  Thankfully, unlike most places, we still have a handful - the Village and the Bruin (always in danger of closing and both have had their leases taken over recently), the Chinese, the Dome, the El Capitan.  But the glorious Egyptian (and not the American Cinematheque whose interior is not to my liking and nothing like it used to be, although it is a single screen), the Warner Cinerama, the Vogue, the Hollywood, the Fox, all of the smaller Westwood houses, the two Plitt theaters in Century City (not to mention the Shubert), the Loyola, all of the Valley theaters - all gone or all something else.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2010, 09:52:19 AM »

Oh, and I'm up and it's very pretty outside and I must go do my morning errand.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2010, 10:00:35 AM »

I wax nostalgic too often--mine has an unsightly yellow build-up.

Which is why, from now on, I will Mop and Glow nostalgic.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 10:04:52 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Cillaliz

« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2010, 10:01:06 AM »

HAPPY CILLA DAY!

And special birthday wishes for our own DR Cillaliz.

Thanks TCB

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2010, 10:17:48 AM »

Just heard that Harvey Pekar, author of the AMERICAN SPLENDOR comic, has died.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2010, 10:48:48 AM »

... BK, you may remember Bertrand Smith's Long Beach (is it still there?).  Well, Betrand Smith started in Cincy and had a store of five floors of used books. 

LB REPORT

LB's Famed, Redevelopment Doomed Acres of Books Closes

(October 19, 2008) -- Wearing a shirt with the image of a corpse and the words "Death of an Independent," Acres of Books co-owner Jackie Smith rang up purchases on October 18...the iconic LB bookstore's last day.

LA OBSERVER

Ray Bradbury mourns Acres of Books

Right now there are no bookstores in downtown L.A. That's terrible. That's stupid, isn't it?...There's no really big bookstore, Pickwick used to be there, it was a very important bookstore....Bookstores should be the center of our life. There's no bookstore in Venice, California right now. There's no bookstore in Ocean Park. There's no bookstore in Beverly Hills. Jesus Christ, how dumb can you get! There's not one bookstore in Beverly Hills! All those stupid people, wandering around, looking for ideas. That is such a dumb place. That's why I'm here...This is my home.
[skip]
If this place could be kept here, if you're going to build a mall, they should build it around here. They should be the center of the mall. They should be a shrine. They should have a crucifix up in front. I will come and bless the goddamn place. And I mean that. I want this store to remain here and they can build a mall around it...It should be surrounded by other fascinating stores. It shouldn't be moved. It shouldn't be changed because it's the best bookstore in Long Beach and one of the best in California.

There are ten million books here and other bookstores have a couple of thousand, and they don't smell the same way. An old book smells like Egyptian incense. It's great. It's wonderful.

Here's the Cincy original:

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2010, 10:58:46 AM »

Greetings from Toyland! It's nice and cool here. I forgot one errand and I can do it tomorrow on my way to the NYU Dental Clinic. I've brought back to the office some reference books, including a bio of Lydia Lupokova, who was the featured ballet star of THE LADY OF THE SLIPPER in 1912. I'll hang out here for another 30 minutes or so before I walk down to 11th Street to meet Andy. I have to dig up some music here and take it home with me.

My adopted son Joshie can use some vibes; he went to Montreal and came back with a stomach disorder, although I doubt the two events are related. He has no health insurance until Encores! revs up in September so he could usethe vibes. Thanks!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2010, 11:01:26 AM »

The problem with bookstores disappearing is "simple" -- they need customers in order to pay the rent/bills/overhead/salaries.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2010, 11:02:36 AM »

Folks today don't read complete thoughts or complex sentences.  Paragraphs floor them.  Books in which a story is told can never replace the TV movies they can barely sit through.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2010, 11:02:54 AM »

A "We Miss You Matt post":

Tonight - season opener - THE CLOSER

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2010, 11:05:38 AM »

When it takes me two hours to proof-read and correct a two-page letter -- removing hundreds of extraneous commas and semi-colons -- which the writer (paid twice what I earn) spent the better part of a whole workday composing, it can be no clearer to me that the education system spits out functional illiterates by the scores.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2010, 11:07:17 AM »

The problem with bookstores disappearing is "simple" -- they need customers in order to pay the rent/bills/overhead/salaries.

Not in the case of Acre's Of Books - it was a very profitable going concern; unfortunatelty, it sat on some prime real estate. The City Of Long Beach declared it an Historic Landmark and then the City Redevelopment Agency condemned the land to build a more atractive and profitable shopping area - go figure!

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2010, 11:08:23 AM »

Crap!  It's only MONDAY!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2010, 11:12:40 AM »

Did anyone watch last night's Masterpiece Theater of Poirot and "Murder on the Orient Express"?

QUITE different from the movie of the same name.  Great production values, but missing an elegant underscore, to my way of thinking.

Love that train.  Nice seeing some of those actors.  But it was Suchet who rose to new heights as Poirot.  It was a tour-de-force performance, IMO.

The story is fun, but it has its weaknesses, including some much-too-talky exposition by each character -- and some all-too-obvious efforts from some characters to disconcert Poirot. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up