Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: LA - THE CITY THAT WAS  (Read 52425 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re: LA - THE CITY THAT WAS
« Reply #180 on: July 12, 2010, 03:07:47 PM »

...have an inability to disconnect from our technological diversions.
Aaaah . and there's the rub!

You're right -  it is not the character of the diversions but our seeming inability to "disconnect".  If only, if just on an occasion, folks could disconnect from Facebook and face a Sunset, or unplug from their IPod Rap  and plug into a Symphony.

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

MBarnum

« Reply #181 on: July 12, 2010, 03:10:54 PM »

Downtown Medford as I remember it.

MBarnum

« Reply #182 on: July 12, 2010, 03:13:24 PM »

The inside of the Craterian, where I saw many a Disney movie, Sindbad flick, and Burt Reynolds comedy.

MBarnum

« Reply #183 on: July 12, 2010, 03:18:10 PM »

I am guessing there were those, however, who were horrified by the downtown Medford of the 1960s/70s and longed for this version:

MBarnum

« Reply #184 on: July 12, 2010, 03:23:05 PM »

The only photo I can find of new or old Central Point's main drag is this bar..a place I obviously never went to as a kid.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #185 on: July 12, 2010, 03:29:57 PM »

Downtown Medford as I remember it.

When I moved to Los Angeles from Seattle in November of 1963, my first night on the road was spent in Medford.

I've never been back.

You can dream…or you can do.

MBarnum

« Reply #186 on: July 12, 2010, 03:33:38 PM »

Downtown Salem, Oregon, where I now live, has changed considerably over the last 100 years. So many old buildings, and whole blocks of giant Victorian homes were torn down and bulldozed from the 1930s through the 1960s.

I see old photos of neighborhoods downtown that are completely gone. Many, if not most, of the vintage apartment buildings were razed in the 50s and 60s. Unfortunately, far too many of the buildings built in the 1970s are still around. Those ugly monstrosities should be destroyed! Ugh.

Thankfully, a lot of the old downtown main streets still exist, well sort of. A lot of the buildings were torn down in the 20s and 30s with new buildings put in during those two decades...but they are all pretty cool looking. Not much pre-1920s buildings exist in Salem, it seems.

MBarnum

« Reply #187 on: July 12, 2010, 03:40:08 PM »

One more historical Salem building that is currently being torn down is the Oregon State Hospital (aka Insane Asylum) which is where the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST was filmed.

This is about 5 blocks from my house.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #188 on: July 12, 2010, 03:44:41 PM »

One more historical Salem building that is currently being torn down is the Oregon State Hospital (aka Insane Asylum) which is where the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST was filmed.

I'm tempted, but I won't go down that road.  Too obvious.

::)
You can dream…or you can do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #189 on: July 12, 2010, 03:53:38 PM »

That's a pretty nifty 1959 Pontiac headed our way in the first picture DR MBARNUM.

Do you have a copy of Steve Reeves in THE WHITE WARRIOR?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #190 on: July 12, 2010, 03:56:38 PM »

I do have Steve Reeves in THE WHITE WARRIOR. I think I bought it when Walmart had all of those $1 dvds. I have yet to watch it, however.

MBarnum

« Reply #191 on: July 12, 2010, 03:57:20 PM »

If you don't DR Druxy, you know DR Elmore will!

Cillaliz

« Reply #192 on: July 12, 2010, 04:00:56 PM »

The Village People have issued a statement that they are dismayed that the YMCA is dropping the whole name of "Young Mens Christian Association" and just becoming "The Y"

Why does this make me laugh so hard

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #193 on: July 12, 2010, 04:15:22 PM »

I like HHW because so many of the DEAR READERS are dear readers.

So do I. :)

Jane

« Reply #194 on: July 12, 2010, 04:18:56 PM »

ADD has nothing whatsoever to do with MTV, internet, movies or anyother thing of that sort. It is a medical condition that has been around forever, but only recently recognized. So enough of that ridiculousness, OK.

So very true.  It was recognized, granted not all that well, long before this generation.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: July 12, 2010, 04:29:40 PM »

Do they ever try to lure you back? Do they offer a toaster? An initialed straight jacket? An antique bodybuilder?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 04:52:38 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: July 12, 2010, 04:30:14 PM »

If you don't DR Druxy, you know DR Elmore will!

Moi?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #197 on: July 12, 2010, 04:35:58 PM »

While the problem of ADD has been around for decades, it was not anything that was as prevalent as it is today.  Sorry, but the bombardment of images and having to have something occupy every second of your existence is very much a problem of the media and the Internet age, which is why cases of ADD have, what, gone up about 10,000% since the mid-1980s.

I would like to see the studies you have read on this.  As far as I know reasons for this condition are speculative.  The strongest theory I know of is that it is genetic.

Jane

« Reply #198 on: July 12, 2010, 04:45:11 PM »

I'm enjoying all the photos today.

Jane

« Reply #199 on: July 12, 2010, 04:55:23 PM »

DR DerBrucer has your grandlad caught up on his reading skills? 

I am very grateful that when I had trouble learning to read my parents got me a tutor instead of waiting for the school to help me.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #200 on: July 12, 2010, 04:55:33 PM »

POP EATER

Lindsay Lohan's Plan to Stay Out of Jail

Lindsay Lohan might have been sentenced to 90 days in the slammer last week by an angry judge, but that doesn't mean the troubled young actress is going down without a fight.

"Lindsay has no intention of going to jail," a friend of Lohan's tells me. "The only thing that Lindsay did wrong was hire the wrong attorney and now she has fixed that."

Lindsay now has a new attorney, Stuart V. Goldberg, who has arrived in Los Angeles from Chicago claiming, "We're going after them."

Lindsay is supposed to surrender to the court by July 20, but now that her new lawyer is in place, sources tell me Lindsay is confident she won't have to spend a minute in jail.

"She is paying her new lawyer a fortune to fix this mess. She doesn't care what it takes," an insider tells me. "If Lindsay needs to start a Facebook campaign or set up protests or something like that she is totally into it. They are treating Lindsay differently because she is a star, so it's about time she used her star power to help her. She's seen the movie 'Chicago' several times, so it's not like she doesn't know how this sort of thing works!"

Memo to Ms Lohan:

It says you wish to use your star power. Bernadette Peters is a Star, Helen Mirren is a star, Guy Haines is a star, even Paula Abdul is a star - you, Missie, are no star.

Instead of Chicago, I offer for you viewing pleasure, and education;

der Brucer

Ginny

« Reply #201 on: July 12, 2010, 04:55:57 PM »

Greetings from beautiful Ashland, OH!  The 90 minute trip here from Canton took us about 6 hours because we spent almost 4 hours at Lehman's, a company whose catalog we've received for several years.  Then we drove through beautiful Amish farmland to Wooster, OH, and drove through the campus of The College of Wooster.  We checked into our hotel, went for late lunch/early dinner, and drove through town to find the Chautauqua venues and to see the campus of Ashland University.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #202 on: July 12, 2010, 04:57:41 PM »

I am very grateful that when I had trouble learning to read my parents got me a tutor instead of waiting for the school to help me.

When do kids start to learn to read at school these days. Is it grade one?

Jennifer

« Reply #203 on: July 12, 2010, 04:58:13 PM »

I think there are going to be thunderstorms here anytime! :(

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #204 on: July 12, 2010, 05:08:05 PM »

MBarnum, if what I'm talking about is not ADD, then the media and everyone else should stop classifying it that way.  I suppose if this term had existed in the 1950s I would have had that label slapped on me, for many of the reasons listed in der Brucer's post.  But I was not the way kids are today - kids today are hyperkinetic and unable to focus, as Pogue says above.  If thirty seconds goes by without something bombarding them they get crazy, they go nuts, they cannot deal with it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: July 12, 2010, 05:10:38 PM »

Just spent over two hours doing the editing road map on our next title.  I was going to put it all in film order, but curiously the cue number slates bear no relation to the way the music is used in the film - that makes doing this easily impossible.  So, I had the music stems transfered - that's the music as used in the film - and boy did the music editor screw around with this score.  Many pieces repeated, chopped up, re-ordered, and mangled.  I went my own damn way, which is going to make coming up with cue titles sort of hard, but I'll figure it out when I get the edited master here and can listen and watch the film.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #206 on: July 12, 2010, 05:15:22 PM »

Sadly no.

Things keep geting in the way; scouts, little league baseball, PTA - literacy seems way down the list. I did manage to get him to the library and we took out some books; Daughter is not real pleased, she doesn't want the responsibility of keeping track of the books and ensuring their return! When I suggested maybe we should set aside an hour on the weekend to be "family reading time" she thought I was nuts. Frankly, considering how much grief his older brother (who is a years-ahead-of-grade-level reader) gets for not reading what Mommy wants, when Mommy wants, I don't blame him for not wanting to learn. Older brother and Mommy play contant control/power games over book reading. She still doesn't get it that his obstinance is one the few ways he has of controlling her. Last weekend when I took the kids to the movies, he took the dreaded read-it-now book with him - he read it quietly in the car until we got to the theatre, read quietly all the way back home, and then stayed in the car to keep reading when we got to the RV.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #207 on: July 12, 2010, 05:19:47 PM »

When do kids start to learn to read at school these days. Is it grade one?

They start in Pre- K!

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #208 on: July 12, 2010, 05:22:41 PM »

I got it for $1 today as well, DR MBARNUM but I was going to pass it along to you .... looking at it more closely it seems that Steve has more clothes on in this movie than usual.....not a good career move.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #209 on: July 12, 2010, 05:25:09 PM »

The news is full of the Mel Gibson story yet there is very little news regarding the fact that the Obama administration decided not to prosecute the Black Panther leader who wants to kill white babies.  Supposedly the case against him is excellent and there is enough to convict him.  Watch the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN67KJdd6Mw&feature=player_embedded
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up