Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: I REMEMBER IT WELL  (Read 41604 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
I REMEMBER IT WELL
« on: July 15, 2010, 12:22:45 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes remembered it well, and now it is time for you to post until the well-remembered cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: I REMEMBER IT WELL
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 12:23:36 AM »

And the word of the day is: EQUIPOISE!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 01:06:42 AM »

Topic of the Day:

MTM:  "Chuckles Bites the Dust"

All In the Family:  the one with Sammy Davis, Jr.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 02:28:56 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 03:36:29 AM »

I just remebered my ask BK question from yesterday - BK have you given any thought to releasing an audio book version of any of your books?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 03:43:32 AM »

MTM - gosh I loved that show and the original Bob Newhart show

Chuckles the Clown yes - any of the ones with the Happy Homemaker... oh and there were one or 2 with Jack Cassidy as Ted Baxter's brother

AITF = Sammy Davis  with the kiss   there was one where Jean Staepelton was going on nd on and on telling this boring story and Carrol O'Connor mimes  takingout a gun, loading it, and shooting himself in the head and falling over that was hysterically funny

vixmom

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 03:46:09 AM »

Equipoise is the state of being balanced or in equilibrium, usually connoting something that is a product of counterbalancing.

Equipoise may also refer to:

Equipoise (album), a 1993 album by Happy Rhodes
Equipoise (horse), a thoroughbred race horse
Clinical equipoise, or the Principle of Equipoise, a medical research term
Equipoise (denture), a removable partial denture system
Equipoise (law), a legal term referring to a balancing test of aggravating and mitigating factors when jurors consider the death penalty
Equipoise (poetry), a poetic term
Equipoise (propeller), a type of propeller
the trade name for the anabolic steroid boldenone
Equipoise (Game), An arena based FPS game like Unreal tournament 3.

vixmom

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 03:48:48 AM »

I need my life to be more equipoised -

this all work and no play thing is getting old

vixmom

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 03:49:41 AM »

speaking of which time to head out for some more unpaid OT

Michael

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 04:30:39 AM »

TOD

MTM
Chuckles The Clown Bites The Dust
The final episode where everyone is fired ecept for Ted Baxter

All in the Family

Edith Goes Through the Change
The Bunkers and the Swingers
Sammy's Visit
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 04:53:37 AM »

Good morning, all! I keep missing my trip to the pharmacy, so I'm doing it this morning on my way down to the McGlinnventory.

I have the inventory this morning, a stop at Toyland to pick up some music, and then back here to accomplish some work on edit problems from my copyists.

TOD: I loved ALL IN THE FAMILY more than the Mary Tyler Mooore show, but I still remember th episode of the death of Chuckles the Clown from MTM and nothing about ALL IN THE FAMILY!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 05:13:08 AM »

Morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 05:17:17 AM »

Chuckles the Clown was great TV, but I also loved the dinner party episodes on MTM, such as the one in which Lou took two and half portions of the dinner and there were no seconds back in the kitchen.

I also found the later episode in which Mary and Lou had a "date" to be really funny.

My favorite supporting player was always Cloris Leachman as Phyllis, and the timing of her reactions was particularly wonderful.

I watched "All in the Family" a lot and loved the episodes that had the neighbors (the Jeffersons) or family (Maude) drop in. The people who were on the show, from Betty Garrett to Sammy Davis Jr., were always great.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Kerry

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 05:46:57 AM »

TOD: 
Mary Tyler Moore--  the first episode (among so many others)

All in the Family-- don't really haveone although the episode where everyone argued about lima beans and being allergic to them was a riot  (I have no idea what the main plot of that episode was)
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 05:47:41 AM »

A couple of my favorite shows......

In addition to those episodes mentioned:

MTM - the obituary episode when they wrote a joke obit for someone and forgot it was in the file, and Ted read it on the air
          the all night election report when the teletype was broken and they couldn't get the results

ALL IN THE FAMILY - Gloria buys a wig at Kressler's, a station wagon full of nuns, and Archie & Mike stuck in the basement
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 05:53:59 AM »

A lesson in how to remove any sense of joy or life from a song - including the orchestrations......and slow the tempo way down, please.

Not sure if the choreography is just bad or they had to tailor it for the bad dancers.....  I had forgotten how horrible it really was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj3mFkn07Iw
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 06:44:12 AM »

It must be a week for finishing books--I finally got through the Charles M. Schulz bio on the train this morning.  Very sad.  For all his success, his fame and his wealth, for all the happiness he instilled in the fans of his Peanuts, the man lived a life of bitterness and regret and never truly felt he was ever loved by anyone to the very end.

As for the book itself, I found it to be wildly uneven.  The author, David Michaelis, goes into such minute details in many aspects of Schulz's life but almost totally ignores others.  For instance, I've learned more about the husband of the woman who was the life model of the Little Red Headed Girl than of most of Schulz's own children, who remain ciphers throughout the book.  Also, Michaelis takes a few tangents from biography and slips into analyzing the Peanuts strip.  While what he has to say about it is interesting, he pretty much ignores the early years of the strip along with any discussion of some of the major characters like Peppermint Patty.

All in all, I guess I'm glad that I read it even though my feelings about its subject have been vastly altered (Charles M. Schulz was one of my childhood heroes.)  I feel a need to go back and read the Peanuts collections to remind myself that I fell in love with the work and not the man.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 06:54:17 AM »

TOD:

THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW
Certainly the Chuckles episode, but also the episode where Mary has a bad day and the one where Rhoda enters (an wins!) a beauty contest.

ALL IN THE FAMILY
"Edith Goes Through the Change" contains what I think is one of the best lines ever written for TV comedy:   "We're not going to Disney World--or any other world!"

I mostly enjoyed the episode in which only the four principle players appeared such as the one where Gloria is having her "time of month" which sets off a chain of arguments. 
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 07:05:06 AM »

DR RonP, re: BIG BROTHER and your comments last night.

Right now my favorites are Brendan and Rachel.  I am finding that they seem smart. And a bunch who seem dumb are getting on my nerves.

There is this girl Kristen who they showed last night. But other than 2 words she has never spoken on the show! I find Lane and Hayden seem sort of dumb. And Enzo gets on my nerves too. I loved the "smart" comp last night. And i love that Andrew purposely misspelled his word (since he is a doctor - except to them he's a shoe salesman).

Annie is getting on my nerves. And actually andrew is too.  I wish we could see more of matt and ragan (although to me they look similar) and keep getting their jobs mixed up since Ragan is a professor but they keep calling matt "the smart one".

Jennifer

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 07:06:07 AM »

It figures that i go to the library yesterday and then they call to say that they have a book for me.

It's no big deal because i pass it everyday on my bike ride. But it just always happens.

Jennifer

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 07:06:34 AM »

Is anybody else watching SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE?  Sad another injury. And my favorite people keep going down.

Ginny

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 07:17:10 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  Since we were away almost a week, I think it's time for grocery shopping.  That's my major agenda item for today, along with a meeting of my book group tonight.  It's a Graphic Novel Roundtable and it will be fun to see 1) the variety of selections, and 2) what my friends thought of the genre.  I read Stitches by David Small.  It's set in Detroit during the time I grew up and from the illustrations it appears that his family's house was identical to mine.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 07:46:16 AM »

There is no excuse for equipoise without porpoise!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 07:48:28 AM »

TOD:

MTM -- Chuckles Bites the Dust, especially the desciption of what happened to him at the parade.  Also the one where Mary gets her first look at Sue Ann's bedroom!

All in the Family:  The menopause episode...and that memorable moment where Edith yells at Archie to "stifle"; the Bea Arthur episode in which Maude appears and declares, looking down her nose at Archie, "Never fear, Maudie's here!"; and the episode in which Archie has the runs...and keeps having to race back up the stairs before completing a rant of any kind. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 07:56:00 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 07:53:05 AM »

TOD:

I never really watched MTM, but (like everybody else) my favorite episode of ALL IN THE FAMILY was the one with Sammy Davis, Jr.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 07:54:09 AM »

The publisher approved my book cover, so now it's posted on FB and other sites.
You can dream…or you can do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 07:56:52 AM »

TOD:

I never really watched MTM, but (like everybody else) my favorite episode of ALL IN THE FAMILY was the one with Sammy Davis, Jr.

Everybody?  What am I, chopped liver?

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 08:04:28 AM »

TOD - I was young, single, and living in my own apartment at the same time MTM was airing on Saturday nights.  It always amused me that I either lived like MTM (when I had a date) or watched MTM (when I didn't have a date).  One of my favorite episodes was when she moved to her new apartment and, after all the excitement died down, she stood alone in the middle of the living room and wailed, "I hate it!"
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 08:05:47 AM »

TOD:

I don't have any favorite episodes of either series.

Now, GILLIGAN'S ISLAND I have favorite episodes.

MBarnum

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 08:06:28 AM »

One of my favorite episodes was when she moved to her new apartment and, after all the excitement died down, she stood alone in the middle of the living room and wailed, "I hate it!"

that is what I did when  I bought my house!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up