Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE EARLY NOTES CATCHES THE BIRD OR THE WORM OR THE TOSTADA  (Read 20752 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: THE EARLY NOTES CATCHES THE BIRD OR THE WORM OR THE TOSTADA
« Reply #180 on: July 19, 2010, 06:25:40 PM »

PAGE 7EVEN DANCE!!

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #181 on: July 19, 2010, 06:26:05 PM »

Ginny I don't have The Group.  Are you enjoying the book?

I read it in 1964, either before or right after I finished Katherine Anne Porter's SHIP OF FOOLS. Mary McCarty and Lillian Hellman hated each other and I'm siding with Lillian. Miss McCarty is a homophobic old coot, who in THE GROUP certainly dislikes gay men and lesbians, which I find surprising given her world of actors and private ladies colleges.

Is this the same Mary McCarty who was in Follies and Chicago?  Not that it matters, but I'm just curious.

No, but her brother is Kevin McCarthy.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

« Reply #182 on: July 19, 2010, 06:27:02 PM »

I read it in 1964, either before or right after I finished Katherine Anne Porter's SHIP OF FOOLS. Mary McCarty and Lillian Hellman hated each other and I'm siding with Lillian. Miss McCarty is a homophobic old coot, who in THE GROUP certainly dislikes gay men and lesbians, which I find surprising given her world of actors and private ladies colleges.

Is this the same Mary McCarty who was in Follies and Chicago?  Not that it matters, but I'm just curious.

Thanks for the info.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #183 on: July 19, 2010, 06:41:43 PM »

http://ragbrai.com/index.php/category/blog/#video-2702

The Story of RAGBRAI
Here's one more on the history of the ride.  It's a pretty cool thing.  I've always wanted to do it, I even bought a couple wrist bands once, but I've never really trained and although many do it without much trainging, I don't think i could.  I wouldn't mind driving a van some year and maybe riding one day

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #184 on: July 19, 2010, 06:49:22 PM »

The Story of RAGBRAI
Here's one more on the history of the ride.  It's a pretty cool thing.  I've always wanted to do it, I even bought a couple wrist bands once, but I've never really trained and although many do it without much trainging, I don't think i could.  I wouldn't mind driving a van some year and maybe riding one day

I would only ride on the last day.  That way they would think I was slow because I had already been riding for six days.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #185 on: July 19, 2010, 06:50:42 PM »

I keep getting kicked out, so it must be bedtime.

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #186 on: July 19, 2010, 06:57:58 PM »

LOL, TCB.  I would choose the day with the fewest hills and fewest miles!  Lots of people ride for one day just for the experience.  I do have some friends who did that and said it was sheer torture.  I have other friends who live to ride bikes. 

I'm in no shape to try it now.  Who knows, maybe after Saturday night I'll be getting in shape to join the team next year... or not.  I am glad that my team isn't going to arrive until 4:00 PM so I can go down and enjoy some of the festivities on Friday and during the afternoon on Saturday. There are supposed to be celebrities for the screenings of the movie A MILION SPOKES.  I'm guessing maybe Lance Armstrong will come back. He's done at least 3 rides.  The food is what's totally incredible from the pie to pork chop man. 

This will be the 4th time I've been in an overnight town when they were here, but the first time I've hosted. I really am very excited about it.  Or can you tell that by my posts ;)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: July 19, 2010, 06:58:30 PM »

Spoo! I guess I spelled her name wrong!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #188 on: July 19, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »

I like THE CLOSER tonight.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #189 on: July 19, 2010, 07:09:36 PM »

Thanks to DRs Ron Pulliam, JRand, and Jane for comments about THE GROUP DVD.  DR Elmore has come to the rescue!

Oh, and DR Jane, I just started the book, so haven't come to any conclusions yet.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #190 on: July 19, 2010, 07:13:01 PM »

Oh, thanks for reminding me DR Elmore, I recorded it and will watch now

Ginny

« Reply #191 on: July 19, 2010, 07:17:25 PM »

DR Cillaliz - may I have ice cream, too?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

« Reply #192 on: July 19, 2010, 07:21:01 PM »

Spoo! I guess I spelled her name wrong!

But I still love you, Larry. :-*

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #193 on: July 19, 2010, 07:28:05 PM »

DR Jane, I wonder if Stephanie Plum is more geared toward the female reader?

This is the one book my brother read because I thought he would like her character, and he did.  I think he read a few.  I can't imagine him continuing because nothing really changes.

Jane

« Reply #194 on: July 19, 2010, 07:28:49 PM »

The Story of RAGBRAI

I would only ride on the last day.  That way they would think I was slow because I had already been riding for six days.

;D

Jane

« Reply #195 on: July 19, 2010, 07:30:06 PM »

We finally watched the previous episode last night.  The station changed and I didn't check if the new season was set to record.  Luckily it was on again.

Jane

« Reply #196 on: July 19, 2010, 07:30:46 PM »

Thanks to DRs Ron Pulliam, JRand, and Jane for comments about THE GROUP DVD.  DR Elmore has come to the rescue!

Oh, and DR Jane, I just started the book, so haven't come to any conclusions yet.

I read more than once it was compared to Peyton Place which I'm not a fan of.

Jane

« Reply #197 on: July 19, 2010, 07:33:57 PM »

I've only read one of Patterson's books. 

The only book I've read of his is Sunday at Tiffanys.

But my mom has read the Alex Cross books and the Women's Murder Club. And she loves them.

I read The Beach House.

Jane

« Reply #198 on: July 19, 2010, 07:34:12 PM »

'night

MBarnum

« Reply #199 on: July 19, 2010, 07:35:47 PM »

Oh I just got the call.....I am playing Harry Lambert in NEVER TOO LATE!

Conga-ratulations!

MBarnum

« Reply #200 on: July 19, 2010, 07:38:33 PM »

D. W. Moffett is guest star in tonight's episode. I am recording. I have never seen the show before.

MBarnum

« Reply #201 on: July 19, 2010, 07:40:35 PM »

Took my PC in to be cleaned of pet hair and dust and the machine sure is quiter now.

MBarnum

« Reply #202 on: July 19, 2010, 07:47:42 PM »

DR Cillaliz, last night I watched a motion picture on DVD which had been filmed on location in De Moines, Iowa.

The film was titled THE HOSTAGE (1967) and it starred Don Kelly (aka Don O'Kelly), Harry Dean Stanton, John Carradine, and Ron Hagerthy. It was a very interesting film, and for a budget dvd the picture quality was both fantastic and anamorphic.

The movie reminded me a lot of an early 1970s made for televison film. Has anyone else ever seen this film? I only picked it up because I had interviewed Ron Hagerthy a few years back.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: July 19, 2010, 07:48:20 PM »

Back from the meeting and I think I'll go do a quick nighttime jog.

Cillaliz

« Reply #204 on: July 19, 2010, 08:28:14 PM »

But of course,  ICE CREAM FOR ALL!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #205 on: July 19, 2010, 08:29:08 PM »

We finally watched the previous episode last night.  The station changed and I didn't check if the new season was set to record.  Luckily it was on again.

I liked it tonight too, for a lot of reasons

Ginny

« Reply #206 on: July 19, 2010, 08:29:24 PM »

But of course,  ICE CREAM FOR ALL!!!

Well, that's a relief, 'cause I've already finished a dish of caramel swirl with cashews on top.

Cillaliz

« Reply #207 on: July 19, 2010, 08:30:10 PM »

Oh JRand so sorry I forgot to say this earlier....CONGRATS!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #208 on: July 19, 2010, 08:33:09 PM »

DR Cillaliz, last night I watched a motion picture on DVD which had been filmed on location in De Moines, Iowa.

The film was titled THE HOSTAGE (1967) and it starred Don Kelly (aka Don O'Kelly), Harry Dean Stanton, John Carradine, and Ron Hagerthy. It was a very interesting film, and for a budget dvd the picture quality was both fantastic and anamorphic.

The movie reminded me a lot of an early 1970s made for televison film. Has anyone else ever seen this film? I only picked it up because I had interviewed Ron Hagerthy a few years back.

Don't think I've ever seen that.  One of my favorite Films from Iowa (Other than Field of Dreams)  Is Cold Turkey.  Dick Van Dyke is in it.  It was filmed mostly in Winterset, birthplace of John Wayne, and it ends with a Randy Newman song.  "He Gives Us All His Love"

Ginny

« Reply #209 on: July 19, 2010, 08:39:17 PM »

Oh JRand so sorry I forgot to say this earlier....CONGRATS!!

Ditto!

I actually looked at my calendar today when I got a Facebook announcement for local auditions for THE CHILDREN'S HOUR.  It's scheduled to open the day after Richard and I get back from Florida, so I don't think I'll pursue it.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up