Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PIDDLE, TWIDDLE, AND RESOLVE  (Read 59941 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:PIDDLE, TWIDDLE, AND RESOLVE
« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2004, 08:34:46 PM »

Ooh (hoo, spelled backwards) - thirteen more posts and I pass a new plateau - 4,000 posts.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2004, 08:34:52 PM »

I trust it will be with the "Big Fish" Did you manage with the rest of the DVD?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2004, 08:35:10 PM »

Ooh (hoo, spelled backwards), page five.

Tomovoz

« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2004, 08:35:53 PM »

And if you manage the 13 posts today we will not have achieved a new low!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2004, 08:55:10 PM »

There were indeed subtitles for Maori dialogue in "Whale Rider" Jennifer. I was referring to the NZ English which often has strange (to Australians any way) vowel pronunciations. Fish becomes "fush" and pen becomes "pin"! Fat becomes "fet"

It's funny you should mention that, Tomovoz.  In the Pacific Northwest, none of us had any trouble understanding the dialogue in WHALE RIDER.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2004, 08:55:33 PM »

Oh, so it's up to me, eh?  Well, fine then, I shall be my own posting frenzy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2004, 09:04:09 PM »

You probably saw "While Rader" TCB. I assume that other NZ film "Once were Warriors" was  thought to be about Worriers in the NW..

Back later.
(or earlier).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2004, 09:04:45 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2004, 09:11:40 PM »

It is so hot in my house it's ridiculous.  I haven't turned on the air because it's my belief that the rotting corpse of the Dead Rodent is lying somewhere near a vent or even in the pipes of the unit.  But, I'm going to have to turn it on now and leave for a half-hour or I won't be able to sleep.  I mean, it must be eighty-five degrees out right now.  Horrid.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2004, 09:31:38 PM »

Good Evening!

What an interesting day...

Well, I went to my uncle - aka, the doctor - and he checked me out, and, sure enough, something was/is wrong.  It's nothing major, but I am back on two anti-biotics - thankfully, they're low-level, and they don't seem to be upsetting my stomach.  Ah, well...

After running around the apartment like mad trying to get my laundry folded, clothes packed, dishes washed, trash trashed, etc., I headed in for the matinee.  It was the first time in a while that I had driven in for the matinee, and I was beginning to regret that I had when I came upon my usual exit into downtown D.C. and it was closed off for road work.  Thankfully, the detour was not much of one, but then I had to deal with finding a parking space.  I came across a few close calls, but after some perserverance I ended up with a very nice space just a few steps from the stage door.  Very nice indeed.

We had a good matinee today.  And everyone seemed to have that "end of the work week" energy.  It was riff-city on stage - thankfully, riffing works for/in this show.  It was not a full house - the matinees have been strangely not full ??? - but they were very appreciative.

*And for those interested in seeing the show - Ford's is now offering 2 for 1 tickets for all remaining matinees.  However, I can also get 1/2 price house seats for any show for anyone.   :D

There were two young ladies in the front row - two sisters - and watching them made me feel very good about the world.  From what I could tell, one of the young women had some sort of physical and/or mental disability.  Her sister walked her to her seat holding her hand, made sure she was comfortable, and even read the program to her.  They were great audience members.  And I believe both young ladies were yound ladies - in their teens.  Nice to know that that kind of love and devotion exists in today's world.

After the matinee, I got in my car and started the drive back to Richmond.  There were a few minor traffic delays - the usual for a Sunday afternoon - but I made good time.  I stopped over at Steve's new place - which I hadn't seen yet - and then we headed over to Chili's for some dinner with his new apartment-mate.

It was so nice being social again.  With being sick for the past few weeks, I just haven't had the energy to hang out with the cast, and it was nice just to be at a dinner table with someone other than myself tonight.  -Yes, I know, that sounds kind of pitiful.  Well... after dinner - which was surprisingly good for Chili's/chain food - we headed back to the apartment to watch some TV.  Again, it was just nice spending time with people - even if we were all just glued to the TV set.  And it's still nice spending time with Steve - I'm so happy we've remained close friends.  He provided some good moral support for me when I was at my "sickest" two weeks ago.  So after watching "While You Were Out", and "Queer As Folk", I headed back to my place... and now I'm bed typing away on my laptop.

DR SWW - Yes, brined shrimp are the way to go!  *Next time you may want to add some spices to the brine - a few sliced cloves of garlic, some lemon zest, etc.  And the brining also insure the shrimp cook evenly.

DR Jay - I thought the same thing when I conducted Jekyll & Hyde a few summers ago.  But, hey, I did love having a 21 piece orchestra under my baton.  That was truly an amazing experience!  -And such, nice, semi-overblown orchestrations too! ;)

RE: The Human Comedy - I conducted this show two summers ago.  I will say it took a while - the rehearsal period - for it to truly grow on me.  Part of it was Galt's music (even parts of Hair still don't sit well with me), part of it was Demaresq's lyrics (whatever happened to him?), and part of it was the structure of the show.  But all in all, I came to love the show.  And that ending is truly heartbreaking - and with what is going on now in the world...  Hmmm... Maybe it's time to pull my recording out... Hmmm.. Or even the (sssh) video of our production.. Hmm...  *And I have to say, "Long Past Sunset" is one of my favorite underrated songs.  -And then when the mother sings her reprise... :'(

Well, I need to get to bed.  I have a follow up in the morning with my doctor here in Richmond.  Hopefully, it will be my last one.  Keep your fingers crossed!

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2004, 09:34:15 PM »

Air is on - it was eighty-one degrees in here.  It will be cooler shortly, as the air works very fast.

MBarnum

« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2004, 09:47:09 PM »

Hmmm...there is a DVD megapack of comedies being released in June. It will have the usual public domain films that you see on DVD all the time like HIS GIRL FRIDAY, MY MAN GODFREY, etc....but there is one title I have not seen on DVD...LIL ABNER!!! It will be interesting to see which LIL ABNER this one will be!

Here is the sight:
http://www.dvdmegapacks.com/

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: May 02, 2004, 09:48:08 PM »

It's the PD Li'l Abner with Buster Keaton.  I've actually never seen it.

Ahhhh, the air conditioning is working its wonders.  

Countdown to 4000 posts.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: May 02, 2004, 10:07:28 PM »

I guess it's up to me.  Me and Mahler.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: May 02, 2004, 10:08:06 PM »

It's cooling off nicely.  Why nicely gets to be cool before me is another story.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: May 02, 2004, 10:08:19 PM »

What am I, doing a monologue?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2004, 10:21:19 PM »

Reminder: Have you tracked down any of those Stephen Poliakov Works yet.
"Shooting The Past" is a gem.

Thanks for the reminder, tomovoz. I'll make a note and do it.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2004, 10:26:15 PM »

Feel better soon, Jose. That was a lovely story about the two sisters.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #137 on: May 02, 2004, 10:30:37 PM »

I really do not like sleeping with the a/c on, but I don't think I have a choice tonight.  Not only is it hot, there is no breeze to speak of.  If it's like this now, what will August bring?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2004, 10:43:04 PM »

I saw a charming little play tonight at the Colony Theatre in beautiful downtown Burbank, Dear Readers, called The Drawer Boy.  It was quite a contrast with my theatre excursion last night, as The Drawer Boy is a three-character drama in which no one dies, no live flames appear on the stage and the dimension of human character is tenderly explored.

Set in 1972, Miles, an acting student, conducting research for a play, stays with two farmers who run a farm in Ontario (Canada, not San Bernardino County) to observe them and generally help out with the animals and crops.  The two farmers, Angus and Morgan, have been friends since boyhood, went to war together and now toil to live off their farm.  Angus--who in his youth loved to draw house plans and hence the play's title--suffered a serious head injury during the war that left him with chronic memory loss (both long- and short-term), and Morgan has obligingly looked after him since.

Indeed, not much happens in the play, but Miles' arrival does precipitate some looking within on the part of both farmers that would never have happened without him.  At times quite funny, it is a very tender story very well acted by the three players.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2004, 10:46:48 PM by Jay »

Jay

« Reply #139 on: May 02, 2004, 10:50:03 PM »

And now I must bid adieu

To yieu and yieu and yieu!

Goooood Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #140 on: May 02, 2004, 10:51:10 PM »

Frost warning here tonight....in MAY!  It must be because MR BK turned on his air conditioning in California!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #141 on: May 02, 2004, 10:55:49 PM »

Danssse, Sssalome! (Posted only so I won't be bitch-slapped)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: May 02, 2004, 11:09:49 PM »

Whew, saved yourself a bitch-slapping.  Tell Julieanne that shredded chicken stuff was the berries.  Conversely, tell her the berries was the shredded chicken.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: May 02, 2004, 11:10:17 PM »

I feel a post comin' on...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: May 02, 2004, 11:10:43 PM »

I feel a milestone comin' on...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: May 02, 2004, 11:11:24 PM »

4000 posts.  What do you think of THAT?

Tomovoz

« Reply #146 on: May 02, 2004, 11:14:54 PM »

Congratulations BK. Guy will be pleased that you visit his site so much!
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #147 on: May 02, 2004, 11:22:00 PM »

Not only was the shredded (b-b-qued) chicken the berries, it was devoured.  You should have taken the offer of a carry-out plate when you had the chance.  Should have stayed too...playing Frankie Laine cowboy songs into the wee hours of the night was probably a lot more fun than MAN ON FIRE.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #148 on: May 02, 2004, 11:47:31 PM »

Here's to our esteemed BK,
[size=20]THE OCTO-GOD![/size]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #149 on: May 02, 2004, 11:48:38 PM »

I'm regrettably going to wussburger outta here, since I've a shrinkage appointment early tomorrow...uh, today.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up