Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A TRIP TO THE LIBRARY  (Read 14676 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: A TRIP TO THE LIBRARY
« Reply #180 on: August 04, 2010, 07:08:46 PM »

And on a happier note...California gay marriage ban overturned!!

SAN FRANCISCO — A federal judge on Wednesday struck down a California ban on same-sex marriages as unconstitutional, handing a key victory to gay rights advocates in a politically charged decision almost certain to reach the U.S. Supreme Court.

U.S. District Court Chief Judge Vaughn Walker also ordered the voter-approved ban, known as Proposition 8, immediately lifted to allow gay and lesbian couples to marry while the case moves to a higher court.

Prop 8 supporters had sought to keep the measure in place pending the outcome of their appeal.

But Vaughn said the lawsuit challenging Prop 8 "demonstrated by overwhelming evidence" that it violates due process and equal-protection rights under the U.S. Constitution.

"Proposition 8 fails to advance any rational basis in singling out gay men and lesbians for denial of a marriage license," Walker wrote in the conclusion of the 136-page opinion.

Well...the article has since been updated to this:

SAN FRANCISCO — A federal judge on Wednesday struck down a California ban on same-sex marriages as unconstitutional, handing a key victory to gay rights advocates in a politically charged decision almost certain to reach the U.S. Supreme Court.

Legal scholars said the decision has wide implications for nearly 40 states with similar laws on their books, making it more difficult to defend those measures in court on the basis of moral grounds or social tradition.

Still, U.S. District Court Chief Judge Vaughn Walker ordered the voter-approved ban, known as Proposition 8, to remain in place at least temporarily until he decides on a request by supporters of the ban to keep it intact while the case moves to a higher court.

Although the result leaves gay men and lesbian couples unable to marry for now, Walker said Prop 8 opponents "demonstrated by overwhelming evidence" that it violates due process and equal-protection rights under the U.S. Constitution.

That's still encouraging.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #181 on: August 04, 2010, 07:11:22 PM »

I am back from dinner wth DR Rodzinski, who asked about everyone and wanted all the dish. It was great to see him and to catch up on everything.

DR Jane, I will hear from Richard when he or Ginny calls me. She'll be in ICU for several days and I'm not going to hover.

How is DR Rodzinski?

Thanks.  I wanted to know what to expect.  Is Richard doing ok?  Do you know if Rob arrived safely?

Rodzinski seems fine. I had a great time with him, and he sends regards to everyone. He asked about all the DRs.

I have no idea what you mean by "what to expect." I had no urge to talk to Richard about mortality, and I don't think he wanted to either. He's always been a quiet man and he told me what he knew and figures it's in God's hands for the time being.

I have no idea if Rob arrived I assume he did.

What to expect from you, as in when to expect more news.   I would not have expected you to have that conversation with Richard.  I know many people who have had heart attacks & then stents and they are all doing very well today.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #182 on: August 04, 2010, 07:16:52 PM »

I am back from dinner wth DR Rodzinski, who asked about everyone and wanted all the dish. It was great to see him and to catch up on everything.

DR Jane, I will hear from Richard when he or Ginny calls me. She'll be in ICU for several days and I'm not going to hover.

How is DR Rodzinski?

Thanks.  I wanted to know what to expect.  Is Richard doing ok?  Do you know if Rob arrived safely?

Rodzinski seems fine. I had a great time with him, and he sends regards to everyone. He asked about all the DRs.

I have no idea what you mean by "what to expect." I had no urge to talk to Richard about mortality, and I don't think he wanted to either. He's always been a quiet man and he told me what he knew and figures it's in God's hands for the time being.

I have no idea if Rob arrived I assume he did.

What to expect from you, as in when to expect more news.   I would not have expected you to have that conversation with Richard.  I know many people who have had heart attacks & then stents and they are all doing very well today.

Unfortunately one of them is Dick Cheney.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #183 on: August 04, 2010, 07:17:11 PM »

nice interview BK
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Cillaliz

« Reply #184 on: August 04, 2010, 07:17:26 PM »

LOL JMK

Michael

« Reply #185 on: August 04, 2010, 07:19:38 PM »

From yesterday My World And Welcome To It winning the Best Comedy Series and Actor after one season and being cancelled.

It also happened to The Julie Andrews Hour after one season it was cancelled and it won 7 Emmy Awards including Best Music Variety series and an Emmy for Julie Andrews. For many years the show held the record for most Emmy Awards won for a show in a single year.
Never stop dreaming.

JMK

« Reply #186 on: August 04, 2010, 07:20:16 PM »

In the strange but true department:  many years ago I bid in a "live" auction hosted on eBay by a very large and reputable firm.  I "won" the bid, got the confirmation email from both the seller and eBay and then, because it was Sunday, waited until Monday to call the company in L.A. to submit payment with a credit card.  When I called that Monday, they informed me there had been a "system error" and that the item had been sold to another bidder.  I couldn't believe it.  Well, guess what?  That item is back on eBay, being sold by the other bidder, evidently.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

vixmom

« Reply #187 on: August 04, 2010, 07:20:38 PM »

Cilla  - I have Garrison Keillor's CD "Church People" and it has  "Lutheran Aitrlines " on it - very funny!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #188 on: August 04, 2010, 07:22:07 PM »

Is that where it comes from?  I had no idea, but the first one I got said 'Track 01" so I assumed it came from some recording

JMK

« Reply #189 on: August 04, 2010, 07:22:41 PM »

BTW, George and others interested in gay rights might want to check out the Benjamin Bratt film "La Mission," which I just reviewed for Blu-ray.com.  It's a bit overwrought, but it's a very involving and touching story about the Latino culture in SF and what one macho dad does when he finds out his son is gay.

JMK

« Reply #190 on: August 04, 2010, 07:23:14 PM »

Garrison's "Guide to the Lutheran Orchestra" is also very, very funny.

George

« Reply #191 on: August 04, 2010, 07:40:47 PM »

BTW, George and others interested in gay rights might want to check out the Benjamin Bratt film "La Mission," which I just reviewed for Blu-ray.com.  It's a bit overwrought, but it's a very involving and touching story about the Latino culture in SF and what one macho dad does when he finds out his son is gay.

Thanks for the info.  I remember hearing about this when it was first released, but I never got a chance to see it.  I just added it to my Netflix queue.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #192 on: August 04, 2010, 07:41:07 PM »

From yesterday My World And Welcome To It winning the Best Comedy Series and Actor after one season and being cancelled.

It also happened to The Julie Andrews Hour after one season it was cancelled and it won 7 Emmy Awards including Best Music Variety series and an Emmy for Julie Andrews. For many years the show held the record for most Emmy Awards won for a show in a single year.

Obviously, there's no accounting for taste.

;)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #193 on: August 04, 2010, 07:45:43 PM »

It is official, Sherlock's biopsy report said benign.  Not that we were worried, still it is nice to have it in writing.

:)
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #194 on: August 04, 2010, 07:51:07 PM »

I have now watched the first 9 (of 13) episodes of MAD MEN, Season 1.

It's well done, but I just wish the story would move faster than snails I've seen.
You can dream…or you can do.

JMK

« Reply #195 on: August 04, 2010, 08:01:17 PM »

Season 1 was exceptionally slow, but I still liked it.

vixmom

« Reply #196 on: August 04, 2010, 08:15:45 PM »

Glad to hear Sherlock is well

JMK

« Reply #197 on: August 04, 2010, 08:18:07 PM »

Yes, now that Sherlock is healed, we can move on to Ginny.  :)

vixmom

« Reply #198 on: August 04, 2010, 08:27:34 PM »

DerB thank you for your explanations

George

« Reply #199 on: August 04, 2010, 08:28:29 PM »

Well, it's time for me to head home.

Be back later.

vixmom

« Reply #200 on: August 04, 2010, 08:28:53 PM »

I think I will go toddle off now - HEALTH AND HEALING VIBES for Ginny

vixmom

« Reply #201 on: August 04, 2010, 08:29:47 PM »

GOOD NIGHT'S SLEEP VIBES FOR ELMORE

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #202 on: August 04, 2010, 09:04:43 PM »

Wow---I'm just catching up on the news about Ginny. I'm glad I read it all at once because the post about the second heart attack really scared me. I'm so glad to read the news is better now but what a shock considering her day seemed to be going fine judging from her posts prior to this. Greg and I will keep her and Richard in our thoughts and thanks to Elmore for keeping us informed.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #203 on: August 04, 2010, 09:05:34 PM »

Sorry the kitty didn't work out JRand, but hopefully she will for someone...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #204 on: August 04, 2010, 09:06:51 PM »

;D HEALTH VIBES FOR EVERYONE WHO NEEDS THEM  ;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #205 on: August 04, 2010, 09:08:03 PM »

Night all.  Really tired.

Have a great Thursday.
 ;)
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Edisaurus

« Reply #206 on: August 04, 2010, 09:11:43 PM »

Glad bk's reading went well!

Love the Thurber! And I was also a fan of MY WORLD AND WELCOME TO IT.

Edisaurus

« Reply #207 on: August 04, 2010, 09:12:11 PM »

I worked on a horrible movie with William Windom. He was really nice, though.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #208 on: August 04, 2010, 09:13:04 PM »

Vibes to Ginny...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #209 on: August 04, 2010, 09:14:14 PM »

Thanks for the heads up Elmore...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up