Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RANDY VICAR STORIES  (Read 12199 times)

Miss Karen

Re: THE RANDY VICAR STORIES
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2010, 08:15:55 AM »

Hi, Miss Karen! Nice to see you! How's Boo-key?

I haven't had any problems with "unsafeness", on this here site anyway!

Nice to see you, too, DR Edi. Boo-Key is well. He's semi-started his new job as technical director at the Prescott Fine Arts Theatre -- I say semi because his placement is through AmeriCorps (what they call the domestic Peace Corps cause you serve in the US and not abroad) and their funding cycle for his position doesn't start til Oct. 1. But he's already giving some hours to work on the season opener on their set, lighting and sound. As part of his volunteer/ off the clock hours, he plans on auditioning for their fall musical Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2010, 08:17:14 AM »

There is nothing dangerous about this site, virus-wise, or others would be getting the same notice.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2010, 08:17:21 AM »

I'm quite up.

Miss Karen

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2010, 08:17:31 AM »

Well, you don't say -- Page Two! (So bk doesn't have to say "get me off this damn page" in ref to page one ... you're welcome, bk!)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2010, 08:19:42 AM »

TOD:

I would like to see the release of a number of made-for-TV movies from the 70's:

IN THIS HOUSE OF BREDE
DO NOT FOLD, SPLINDLE OR MUTILATE
THE GIRL MOST LIKELY TO...
THE DEVIL'S DAUGHTER
THE GLASS HOUSE

Well, then you'll be happy to know that The Girl Most Likely To..., The Glass House, and In The House of Brede are all on DVD - whether in print or not at this time I do not know, but I have each, and I think I may also have The Devil's Daughter.

Miss Karen

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2010, 08:22:13 AM »

There is nothing dangerous about this site

That's not what I've heard -- (wink, wink)

Miss Karen

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2010, 08:29:16 AM »

And I thought of DR ELmo because I just read a story about Ohio having a major bed bug problem -- Cincinnati has been dubbed Bed Bug Capital of the US (bet their tourism folks are loving that title...) -- and some NYC Theatre is being invaded. Ewwwwww!

Miss Karen

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2010, 08:35:47 AM »

I figured and hoped it was just some kink with my Norton anti-virus, but all these years it had never flashed the message so I didn't get why within the last few months it started doing it. These computers have a mind of their own and do crazy things I guess ...

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2010, 08:42:45 AM »

The continuation of the Caesar's Palace story. The rep asked for my address and birthdate to compare it to the person who registered under my email. It didn't match and so she took my email off that account so nobody would bother me again.

I was really surprised at how fast she responded. Although still sort of unhappy that someone else used my name to register a group at Caesar's Palace.

Miss Karen

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2010, 08:42:51 AM »

At this rate I'll get us to Page 2 with this mini-frenzy so I'll stop -- don't want DR RonnieP to have a conniption when he sees all the gratuitous-ness ... besides, I do need to scram -- still lots to do while I'm waiting for a settling of the dust.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2010, 08:44:19 AM »

Jennifer, the enigma is how anyone would have had your e-mail address to do such a thing.

Thom

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2010, 09:03:04 AM »

TOD:

"Phaedra" - 1962 - Starring Anthony Perkins, Melina Mercouri & Raf Vallone. It has one of the most sensuous love scenes ever filmed. Also, the music by Mikis Theodorakis is excellent.

Ginny

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2010, 09:07:11 AM »

TOD:

Movie - ADVANCE TO THE REAR

TV - ST. ELSEWHERE
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2010, 09:20:56 AM »

I was quite thrilled with the broadcast of "South Pacific" last night.   As some of you may remember, I saw the national tour company here in San Francisco last fall.

The production last night had exactly what the tour company lacked:  A vibrant Nellie Forbush and a strong believable Emile deBecque!   I was absolutely mesmerized by their assured performances.  O'Hara was a revelation as Nellie...hitting all the right notes in reaction, dialogue and, of course, music.  The chemistry was palpable between her and Szot.

As I opined after seeing the national tour, I was really disappointed that an understudy was doing deBecque in the performance I saw.  He and "star" Carmen Cusack (?) had zero chemistry, awkward blocking and never related to one another in a believable way.   It left a huge hole in the show as the rest of it was splendid in every way.

I don't know what I expected from Danny Burstein.  I knew he was nominated for the Tony.  What I didn't expect was another revelation.  His Luther Billis is EXTRAordinary.   All the timing and perfection of character, nuance, reactions to other players.  It was a joy to behold.  The touring company's Luther is very good....but NOT on the level of Burstein.

I was a bit put off by Andrew Sarmonsky's Joe Cable.  He's a tall, good-looking young guy.  And doesn't he "just" know it.  His Cable swaggers and glares and ignores activity around him.  He has a really sweet tenor, though....but tends to over-enunciate his vowels -- primarily anything that stars with "e" and ends with "r".  On the plus side, he was extremely convincing in the 2nd act as a guy with malaria.  I did not really care for his bit of activity with Billis at the end of the "Bali Hai" number...when he basically yanked Billis around and nearly put a wrestling hold on him.   Too-too much...and jarring instead of effective. Some of what he did seemed improvised instead of something he does daily during regular performances.

I have to say I thought the touring company's Anderson Davis was a far more accessible, likable and equally talented Joe Cable.  When deBecque radioed that his friend Joe Cable had died, it was sob-inducing in the live production I saw.  Last night, I was only sad.

I thought  Loretta Ables Sayre was another revelation as Bloody Mary.  The one I saw in S.F. was fun..she was built, and moved around, like a Sumo wrestler.  But Sayre was wholly a new creation for me -- Mary was real.  She drew emotional responses...and seeing Sayre on TV, in closeup, probably had a lot more to do with how I perceived the character.  Her vocals were superb...and the "Happy Talk" scene was extraordinary (and deserved the cheers/applause from the audience).  In the "Bali Hai" number, she was singing to Cable (who ignored her, seemingly).  I prefer the magic generated in the film during this number....Cable completely captivated as Mary sings her magical turne.  In the touring company, Cable sat on a box during the entire number...turned away from the audience.   At least the Lincoln Center production didn't make "that" mistake.

Any time something like this is broacast on television, I am amazed, delighted and thrilled.   I hope others took something positive from the experience...

I'm certain the show was broadcast live on the east coast...and that we on the left coast saw a recording of it.  Audio problems happen often in live theater.  They are regrettable, but they happen.  This sort of thing used to happen on live TV and we got used to it, understanding that "s**t happens.

I did not think Alan Alda (or Mary Rodgers or Alice Hammerstein) brought much to the proceedings at all.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 09:42:40 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2010, 09:25:54 AM »

JMK,

I just saw your message from yesterday:

"Druxy, I arrived home to a little sheet music purchase:  a certain Academy Award nominated song some PR guru pulled a phone stunt with to get a nomination."

I think I know what you're talking about, but I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

Please explain.

???

I managed to find the sheet music to the Fain-Webster tune you set up the 800 number for.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2010, 09:28:45 AM »

There is nothing dangerous about this site, virus-wise, or others would be getting the same notice.

I actually DO get occasional notices from Norton about HHW vis a vis "malicious toolkit" viruses.  They seem to be mostly attached to your /juliana subdirectory.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2010, 09:29:19 AM »

MALICIOUS TOOLKIT is the title of my new made-for-TV movie.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2010, 09:38:52 AM »

MALICIOUS TOOLKIT is the title of my new made-for-TV movie.

Autobiographical, then?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2010, 09:39:04 AM »

;D

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2010, 09:49:48 AM »

JMK,

I just saw your message from yesterday:

"Druxy, I arrived home to a little sheet music purchase:  a certain Academy Award nominated song some PR guru pulled a phone stunt with to get a nomination."

I think I know what you're talking about, but I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

Please explain.

???

I managed to find the sheet music to the Fain-Webster tune you set up the 800 number for.  :)

That is a collector's item.

The song never had any sort of commercial release.
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2010, 09:55:07 AM »

I've had a bit of lunch and a good three hours at the McGlinnventory. Today I went through about six pages of Full Score inventory, marking publisher info, whether the score was cloth or paper bound and marking the condition. Next Wednesday, I'll finish up the last page of the full scores and go on to the composer editions, marking ISBNs, condition, publisher, etc. Thursday next, I can hopefully annotate the miniature scores so i can then begin pricing everything for auction.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2010, 10:00:01 AM »

TOD:

I would like to see the release of a number of made-for-TV movies from the 70's:

IN THIS HOUSE OF BREDE
DO NOT FOLD, SPLINDLE OR MUTILATE
THE GIRL MOST LIKELY TO...
THE DEVIL'S DAUGHTER
THE GLASS HOUSE

Well, then you'll be happy to know that The Girl Most Likely To..., The Glass House, and In The House of Brede are all on DVD - whether in print or not at this time I do not know, but I have each, and I think I may also have The Devil's Daughter.

Now that I think of it, I do remember you mentioning THE GIRL MOST LIKELY TO a while back.  I must look for these flicks and check on availability...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2010, 10:01:46 AM »

I figured and hoped it was just some kink with my Norton anti-virus, but all these years it had never flashed the message so I didn't get why within the last few months it started doing it. These computers have a mind of their own and do crazy things I guess ...

DR Karen, Norton gives me the same warnings at home.  I ignore them because danger is my business! (or at least my hobby...)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2010, 10:03:34 AM »

Just as I was about to write-off the little train station sandwich shoppe here in Conshohocken, I took a chance and got myself their tuna melt special and WOW!  It's delish!
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2010, 10:08:20 AM »

Okay, okay, bad camera angles and off television direction and Cable's odd performance aside, what about the import aspects of last night SOUTH PACIFIC--did we get to see any bare sailor butts or not?
-- Anaïs Nin

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2010, 10:08:30 AM »

TOD

CHICAGO HOPE

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2010, 10:09:09 AM »

"Yadda, yadda, yadda...
You may meet a stranger..."
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2010, 10:20:46 AM »

"This Neely was mine!"
This Neely was paradise!"
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2010, 10:26:29 AM »

Okay, okay, bad camera angles and off television direction and Cable's odd performance aside, what about the import aspects of last night SOUTH PACIFIC--did we get to see any bare sailor butts or not?

One fleeting shot just as the Wash That Man section happens

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2010, 10:41:11 AM »

Back in the Bay Area.  All is well!!   Yesterday was a 22 hour day.  Story about that to follow.

Off to a tour of Pixar Studios today, which is REALLY exciting.  And then to SF for some sights. 

Some day I'll ketchup
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up