Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RANDY VICAR STORIES  (Read 12275 times)

Jennifer

Re: THE RANDY VICAR STORIES
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »

Jennifer, the enigma is how anyone would have had your e-mail address to do such a thing.

I know that is why I was upset.  Especially since my email address is my name @gmail.com.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2010, 11:00:05 AM »

I missed the bare ass butt.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2010, 11:07:09 AM »

I can only echo what MR BK and so many others have already written today.

I got home from BBB last night about 11:30 - and was looking around....and I saw that SP would be (re) broadcast on the Bloomington PBS station at 1 a.m. - and I tuned in.

It was like seeing the show for the first time.....and the acting really pointed up how deficient the movie is in that department. I hope this DVD becomes the touchstone for the show.

Kelli O'Hara and Paulo Szot gave performances that were fresh and interesting and both were vital and alive human beings!  Szot is super sexy and his costumes were great.

Reinventing the roles and making them their own but NOT distorting the original material......Danny Burstein as Billis (I hate Ray Walston in the movie....HATE him, as I do in most of his movies) - and Loretta Ables Sayre as Bloody Mary - WOW!

I liked everyone in the show down to the smallest role....with one exception.  Whose boyfriend is Cable?  He is an embarrassment, although the singing is good....  Oh well..... 

I want the DVD - SP is my favorite R/H show - although of course the camera work does have some problems.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2010, 11:08:37 AM »

And it was fun to see the guys who do the FIVE MINUTES TILL CURTAIN blog onstage in their roles!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2010, 11:09:10 AM »

TOD:

Another vote for THE HIGH POWERED RIFLE

and

THE UNDEAD - available in a Region 2 release, I think
COUNT THREE AND PRAY

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2010, 11:16:42 AM »

Very exciting news.....Next Year Vibes for MR BK.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2010, 11:25:39 AM »

By the way DR Edisaurus, SHANTY TRAMP is on DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/Shanty-Tramp-Common-Law-Wife/dp/B00170ICZ2/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1282229816&sr=1-1

Good to know! They showed it at "Drive-Invasion" last year but I missed it. I want it on a double bill with POOR WHITE TRASH. I still remember the lurid radio ads back when I was a child.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2010, 11:27:30 AM »

And I thought of DR ELmo because I just read a story about Ohio having a major bed bug problem -- Cincinnati has been dubbed Bed Bug Capital of the US (bet their tourism folks are loving that title...) -- and some NYC Theatre is being invaded. Ewwwwww!

I plan to go to Cincy in September for a concert by Van Dyke Parks. Maybe I should sleep in my car...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Laura

« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2010, 11:29:35 AM »

It is very quiet with only two kittens running like mad around here.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2010, 11:30:53 AM »

Lovely kitten photos, DR LAURA....and Jack certainly knows how to pose for his headshot.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2010, 11:31:52 AM »

I also want MONDO TEENAGE on DVD - that was some clip, DR EDISAURUS.

And YES, Mr Van Dyke Parks did compose music for THE COMPANY.....if you haven't seen it, grab a copy....and the CD has a lot of VDP on it too, I think.

Edisaurus

« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2010, 11:36:44 AM »

The whole MONDO TEENO film looks like it came straight out of the camera with hardly any editing. There are even flash frames from when the camera stopped rolling. If you can't even bother to edit those out, well...it gives you an idea of the level of their production value.

Yet...some of the British parts were directed by Richard Lester, supposedly, and some of the music was provided by Mike Curb (of the Mike Curb Congregation, I assume).

Edisaurus

« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2010, 11:37:55 AM »

Van Dyke played some of it for us in his living room as he was working on it. He was working on OCIEE NASH at the same time and was in quite a time crunch but managed to deliver a great score for both films!

Edisaurus

« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2010, 11:43:09 AM »

The problem with this TOD is that you think back to films you'd like to see on DVD. Then you have to do a search to see if it is available. A lot of times it's been awhile since I checked on a film and when I look again, ta-da! It's been release on DVD! So now not only do I have to buy it but then there are all those other titles I came across while search that I want, too.

Maybe I need to ignore this topic next time it comes up. At least until I'm working, anyway!

And yes, as some of you surmised, I do indeed miss working on THE CLOSER, for many reasons.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2010, 11:43:09 AM »

It is very quiet with only two kittens running like mad around here.

Which Two kittens are running like Mad?

Edisaurus

« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2010, 11:43:46 AM »

Those kittens are all so cute. It would be hard to choose!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2010, 11:51:11 AM »

Jack:  Have you watched the roadshow version of "South Pacific"?   The theatrical "cut" I'd seen over the years made Billis seem like a hammy jerk and he always seemed cartoonish.  In the roadshow version I was happy to see there was considerably more nuance in his performance.  He's much more tolerable for me in that version...but Walston has never been a favorite anyway.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Edisaurus

« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2010, 12:05:11 PM »

I love Danny Burstein as Billis. Greg was amazed that he also played Aldolpho in THE DROWSY CHAPERONE.

Laura

« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2010, 12:06:31 PM »

The boys are getting neutered today. The girls are too small.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Edisaurus

« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2010, 12:06:51 PM »

I will be looking for a show to take my mom and her other half @ Nov 5th. I was hoping SOUTH PACIFIC would still be running. I want to see Pee Wee Herman's show but don't know if they would be into that!

Suggestions?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2010, 12:08:25 PM »

The boys are getting neutered today. The girls are too small.

To quote ALDOPHO:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!!!!!!!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2010, 12:09:03 PM »

DR RLP - my Walston bias runs so deep that even in the ROAD SHOW version, I remained unmoved.

Laura

« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2010, 12:12:16 PM »

Or as I say,
"Mama! Mama! You'll never believe what they did to us today!"

Vixmom is getting spayed today, too.
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2010, 12:22:12 PM »

I will be looking for a show to take my mom and her other half @ Nov 5th. I was hoping SOUTH PACIFIC would still be running. I want to see Pee Wee Herman's show but don't know if they would be into that!

Suggestions?

You could see my friend Danny Burstein with Patti Lupone, Laura Benanti and others in WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »

OOOOoooohhhh! That sounds great! Is it "mom friendly"? (Would an 80 year old lady like it?)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2010, 01:38:20 PM »

DR ELMORE that sounds more like a recipe for STAGE MANAGER ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2010, 01:43:21 PM »

TOD:

"The Egyptian" (20th Century-Fox - 1954).

As a laserdisc, the video was near perfection.  The film is stunning for its cinematography and production design.  AND, with the sound potential in high definition transfers, the six-track sound -- featuring one of filmdom's most magnficent scores (By Alfred Newman AND Bernard Herrmann)...well, let's just say I'd be in heaven. 

"The Egyptian" is my favorite 1950s epic, and a Blu-ray transfer would just be the bees knees AND the cat's pajamas.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2010, 01:44:20 PM »

Suggestions?

You could see my friend Danny Burstein with Patti Lupone, Laura Benanti and others in WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN!

Wow, DR Elmore, Danny isn't missing a beat on the employment front, is he?  That's great!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2010, 01:51:51 PM »

TOD:  A second choice would be

"There's No Business Like Show Business" (20th Century-Fox - 1954).

The laserdisc of this film was lauded as "reference" quality for that medium.

The movie is a musical spectacle of lavishness, tunefulness and brashly wonderful performances.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2010, 01:55:28 PM »

TOD:

"The Egyptian" (20th Century-Fox - 1954).

As a laserdisc, the video was near perfection.  The film is stunning for its cinematography and production design.  AND, with the sound potential in high definition transfers, the six-track sound -- featuring one of filmdom's most magnficent scores (By Alfred Newman AND Bernard Herrmann)...well, let's just say I'd be in heaven. 

"The Egyptian" is my favorite 1950s epic, and a Blu-ray transfer would just be the bees knees AND the cat's pajamas.

I know that there are many people who, like yourself, adore this film, but to be honest, I have never been able to sit all the way through it.

It's my understanding that Marlon Brando, then under contract to Fox, was originally cast in the lead.  As the story goes, after the first table read of the script, they took a short break and Brando never returned.  He went directly to the airport and took a plane back to New York.

I heard that from director Edward Dmytryk, who was also working at Fox at the time.
You can dream…or you can do.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up