Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HEAT WAVE  (Read 74830 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
HEAT WAVE
« on: May 03, 2004, 12:00:58 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you certainly can Can Can, so the only thing left or even right to do is to post until the cows come home, so to it, people, to it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2004, 12:05:54 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:HEAT WAVE
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 12:03:41 AM »

Last post of yesterday - first post of today? How apt.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 12:10:53 AM »

I'm going to bed.
But first - Jay, yes, I want to see THE DRAWER BOY. Glad to hear it's good. I know the people it's about - not the farmers. But the theater co-operative it's about is the Theatre Passe Muraille who did THE FARM SHOW. I worked with them way back in Toronto. I assume the "Miles" character of the play is the actor Miles Potter with whom I did THE DOG IN THE MANGER at Passe Muraille.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 12:43:50 AM »

If money were indeed no object I would probably opt for Hamstead (North London). My lack of facility with other languages tends to restrict choices. Of the major cities I love Vienna, Paris and New York but am more "at home" in London as I lived there for a year. I would certainly, if I had my druthers, become more actively involved in theatre of the musical variety. Once again restictions apply - no talent!
For "dropping out" once in a while - New Zealand's South Island would be a good choice.

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 04:09:28 AM »

I would choose NYC for the theater, music, dance and art. I could be happy seeing something or doing something creative every day.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 04:20:20 AM »

And now on a more personal level.

I am leaving today to go to Montreal. My is father is not good and I want to be with him and my family. Not sure when I'll be back to Florida (I have a ticket for next Sunday) but I'll probably be there longer. Not sure when I'll be back here. But in the saner moments I will try to catch up on the site, but probably won't post.

Thanks to all who spread good wishes and vibes the last times, but I am not sure they will work this time. I only hope that I can make back to Montreal and see him in time one last time.

Once again Thank you all and God Bless

Michael
Never stop dreaming.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 04:43:21 AM »

Michael,

We'll be thinking about you and your dad, and sending ONGOING GOOD VIBES.

Take care

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 04:55:54 AM »

I have a friend for whom money is absolutely no object. She has a new 12,500 square foot home on Toronto's Bridle Path (DR Panni, you may want to provide the LA equivalent) plus another residence on a British Columbia Gulf Island. When you call her, she's often at a spa (Arizona mainly), in Bermuda, or somewhere in Europe. It must work for her, but as they say in the Old Country, nisht fer mir (not for me). I'd take an apartment in London or New York, and for "dropping out," as Tomovoz puts it, would consider a spot like Fiji. So what are those lucky lottery numbers again?

And though chucking, I wouldn't throw in the towel. I'd open a small publishing company and publish books that struck my fancy.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 05:21:38 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Ben

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 05:09:31 AM »

If I could chuck it all and money were no object, I would split my time between New York City (maybe even staying in our small but cozy little apartment) and my beloved London and I would be a radio broadcaster doing something between A Prairie Home Companion and Donald's show. What the hell, it's a fantasy. I'll give myself two shows. One devoted to show music, similar to Donald and Stage and Screen and Showtime and another similar to Mr. Keillor's shows.

That's what I would do if I could chuck it all and money were no object.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2004, 05:39:51 AM »

Chat was fun, as always. I had to exit early because Gord's great-nephew is staying with us while he takes a course in Toronto, and he's in the computer room.

Just caught up on last night's late posts. Thanks DR SWW for the shrimp tips. I always enjoy the food posts. And DR Jose thanks for sharing all the theatrical details - both behind the scenes and in the audience.

SWW, forgive me but your "shrinkage" line prompted me to find this George-Jerry-Elaine exchange from one of my favorite Seinfeld episodes:

"Do women know about shrinkage?"
"What do you mean, like laundry?"
"No..."
"Like when a man goes swimming... Afterwards..."
"It shrinks?"
"Like a frightened turtle."
"Why does it shrink?"
"It just does."
"I don't know how you guys walk around with those things."

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2004, 05:53:19 AM »

And I agree, DR Matt, last night's Alias was a little lame. I don't think this is a spoiler (SPOILER ALERT nonetheless), but the turns and twists in Lauren's and Sloan's characters are rather rough.

Do you think Alias could work as a feature-length movie?

William E. Lurie

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2004, 06:04:23 AM »

BK - There is no trick to the Can Can
       It is so easy to do.

I wish NYC would get some of that heat.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2004, 06:07:06 AM »

I'm back from another weekend of errantiveness & truancy.  I spent all day (and by that I mean all day) Saturday trying to fix my sister's computer and yesterday was a combo birthday party for my niece and nephew.  There was much mac'n'cheese and cake and orance creamsicle ice cream.  A good time was had by all.

My dream career?  I still see myself working in theatre in some capacity, whether acting, directing, writing or teaching.  And I would love to live north of NYC along the Hudson with a view of the river.  Nyack would be nice.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

td

• td
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2004, 06:07:16 AM »

Can these boys fox-trot?
Hmmmm. . . .who IS that girl next to Connie "Cricket" Stevens?

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

MBarnum

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2004, 07:17:50 AM »

Hey, that is Kenny Miller on the left! Maybe he know's Leslie Parrish??

Who is the guy with Connie...that is what I want to know!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2004, 07:52:35 AM »

Good Morning!

I had a pretty good night's sleep.  It did take me an hour or two to truly wind down, but wind down I did, and I slept nicely.  And I actually slept in a little later than I would have liked, but in my current condition, I think I have an excuse. ;)  *And the new meds seem to be working their magic already.  :D

Hmmm... If I could live any where it would either be New York City - some nice brownstone on the East Side - maybe even the Turtle Bay area.  Lots of room, and lots of "stuff" nearby to enjoy.  However, I'd probably stay in music, but maybe I'd opt to go back on the stage - I do love singing, and, at times, miss doing it.  -Actually, a season in the Metropolitan Opera Chorus would be nice - lots of work, but, oh, the variety! -and the pay ain't bad either.

-Othewise, I'd like to be somewhere in the French countryside - probably around Lyon or the Po Valley.  Big estate.  Just doing whatever I end up doing each day when I wake up.  Probably lots of cooking.  And wine!

Well, I need to get ready for my doctor's appointment... Laters....
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 07:56:50 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2004, 07:55:54 AM »

Michael, no matter how long we have them, we lose our parents too soon. My folks are 80 and 95 - and I watch them age and know the inevitability of loss. And each time I speak to them lately, or see them napping in a chair, or share a meal - the looming loss is the ornament that makes the Present Moment poignant shine like a diamond. Glad i've had them long enough to know that.

If money were no objekt and i could just drop out and live any way at all -- I'd choose a cabin on a stream in a forest, with birds and animals around, and peace and solitude whenever I wanted, and I'd write books and plays, and have limited-engagement runs  of concerts or plays of my choosing, and travel to LA and NY to be with my friends...

I guess I would change nothing about my current life - except I would listen more carefully and talk less.
PennyO

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2004, 07:58:58 AM »

DR Michael Shayne - Safe travels.  My thoughts are with you and your family.
Make Your Own Luck.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2004, 08:01:45 AM »

Jose, glad the meds are working. Have a fell-good day, son.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2004, 08:02:28 AM »

Or even a Feel-Good one...
PennyO

Emily

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2004, 08:14:57 AM »

Michael: you, your father and all of his family and friends are in my thoughts right now.

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2004, 08:17:21 AM »

Isn't that John Ashley?  No....hmmmmmmmm.....looks a BIT like Van Williams, but it's not.  Who is it?  And what is La Ronde?  And why did Kenny's date go on the lam?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2004, 08:18:51 AM »

Oh what a great TOD.

I would have a place in NYC of course - a place in Rome - and a small professional theatre in Indianapolis.  At least then I might be assured of being cast now and then.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2004, 08:19:51 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm having a day with numbering difficulties on Mickey & Judy, because the original person in charge of the orchestrations, who shall be nameless, has missed all deadlines, and everyone picking up the slack is dealing with the fallout. Oy!

So, it's a good time to be dreaming about other things with limitless funds:

a flat in London would be nice
a bigger New York apartment would be heaven
financial freedom to lounge around, watch all my DVDs and videos, listen to all my CDs and follow/study some scores would be my idea of nice liesure time, as well as having enough money to go to the theatre two or three nights a week
I have no urge for an island retreat or a country home, but traveling around to visit friends would be fun
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2004, 08:20:09 AM »

MBARNUM email that picture to Kenny and ask him.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2004, 08:22:20 AM »

You're all wrong.  That's quite obviously Michael J. Fox on the left, who must have gone both blonde and Back to the Future for a night out with Cricket and friends.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2004, 08:28:09 AM »

Hey I just sent the pic to Kenny Miller at his website and we await the answer!

Hey I am the second poster in number!!!  Whew!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2004, 08:34:16 AM »

Definitely not Van Williams. I could see a bit of John Ashley there, but I think he was a bit fuller in the face. Hey, Robert Fuller! (just joking about that).

Like DR Michael Shayne (hope all goes well), NYC would be my first choice, but I think I'd have to have Hawaii or Jamaica for the winter months. Continuing to read Noel Cowaqrd's diaries, and he paints his homes in Jamaica as a paradise on earth. I've never been there, but his descriptions make it sound very inviting.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2004, 08:38:47 AM »

As Sydney is in many respects a female James Bond, a movie version of ALIAS would probably have worked, but I'm not sure people would shell out for it now. It's been on the air too long.

And it seems as if the writers are far too involved with Rambaldi to come up with anything fresh or appealing.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2004, 08:51:46 AM »

JoseSPiano CONTINUED GOOD HEALTH VIBES!

Michael Shayne my thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time.  I hope you have a comforting visit with your father.

I would like to travel, staying in different towns or cities long enough to truly get a feel for the location and the people.  Then I would return to my newly remodeled home.  Oh, I would also hire people to mow, pull weeds, all that fun stuff.    
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up