Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CINCO DE MUSTARD  (Read 95827 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
CINCO DE MUSTARD
« on: May 05, 2004, 12:00:35 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are dancing about like a gazelle in search of refried beans, you are ready to celebrate the various and sundried things that need celebrating, so let the posting begin.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 12:02:41 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:CINCO DE MUSTARD
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 12:06:10 AM »

Welcome ten GUESTS.  Happy Cinco de Mayo or Mustard.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 12:06:50 AM »

JRand53, from last night...I don't remember Frank Thring'ssss death in El Cccccid, but now I'm damned curiousssss!

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 12:08:45 AM »

Happy Birthday George.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 12:10:36 AM »

FS Pogue - I behave "properly" not for grannie, but for me. Why should I behave as badly as she does? I don't give a flying fig what she thinks about me. I DO care about what I think about me, though.

Panni

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 12:11:28 AM »

HAPPY CINCO DE BIRTHDAY, GEORGE!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 12:12:08 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR READER GEORGE!! Much cake!

And Happy Birthday to HollyLynn, whoever you may be.!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2004, 12:13:33 AM »

People who treat people poorly deserve to be treated poorly in return.  That is my belief...in brief.

LauraII is STILL replying - now in this thread.  Will her reply EVER show up?

Laura II

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2004, 12:16:02 AM »

I'm doing something wrong, but I will repent for it momentarily.

BK, I figured I wouldn't make it in time, so I copied my post. See? I'm not mad at you at all! ...Scratch that. My computer didn't copy it. It's ok. I shall try to recreate my post.

Re: yesterday's posts

After big band night on American Idol, I decided to get out my Eva Cassidy Live at Blues Alley cd. Talk about an inspired version of "Cheek to Cheek"! She was amazing!

About Love:
Well, I've never been in love before (ah, a Loesser reference), so I can't really comment too much about this. All I can say is I believe my generation throws the word "love" around, just as we throw around words like "amazing," "incredible," "fantastic," and more. Just about anything constitutes as "amazing" nowadays. For example, almost every Broadway cast and American Idol performer (and everyone in between) receives a standing ovation after every performance. Standing ovations used to signify the recognition of brilliance in this art form. Today, I wonder if performers expect them as audiences give them so freely. When did the bar drop this low? Hmm. But back to love. People my age (and I can't exclude myself from this group) tend to enjoy classifying various degrees of love with "I <3 you," "I heart you," "I luv ya," "luv ya," and "love ya!" Perhaps this signals that we understand the power of the word "love." On the other hand, these versions might showcase our inability to express out true feelings. It's difficult to grasp the fact that some people can't say "I love you" to people, even in the case of platonic love. Some people worry too much about how other people with take it when they say those three words.

Now to be good and return to the notes.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Panni

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2004, 12:18:08 AM »

I'm not sleepy. At all. Ate too late, I guess.

Laura II

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2004, 12:18:57 AM »

Happy birthday, George!! Have an extra-special day!

Hmm...I wonder if I have any questions for BK...all right, first question that pops into my mind: what color should I paint my nails?

I really need sleep, don't I? Goodnight all!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Panni

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2004, 12:21:40 AM »

The Psycho Deli?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2004, 12:23:32 AM »

A post worth waiting for, LauraII.  I, too, am nauseated by the ease with which audiences (mostly the young people in the audience) give a standing ovation.  It DID use to mean something.  When I saw Hello, Dolly! in 1965 here in LA, it never, not in the five times I saw it, got a standing ovation.  Very few of the shows I saw in my youth did.  It's suddenly become like something you HAVE to do - only I see very few shows that deserve it - VERY few.  When I saw Company - no standing O.  Follies - no standing O.  A Chorus Line - no standing O.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2004, 12:24:07 AM »

I feel you should paint your nails orange.

Panni

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2004, 12:26:23 AM »

Okay, you've all convinced me. I shall behave BADLY from now on. I shall be my ex-mother-in-laws worst nightmare come true. I'll call her tomorrow and tell her, "I'm calling NOT to wish you a happy birthday!" or better, "I'm calling to wish you an UNhappy Birthday!"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2004, 12:27:51 AM »

No, that's not it.  You should call her and say, "You know, you've been quite a jerk and I really don't care for you at all, you sad little peckerhead."

Panni

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2004, 12:28:11 AM »

No orange. Orange is so day before yesterday. Purple or black. Or blood red. No pink, no orange. Perhaps navy blue.

Panni

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2004, 12:29:32 AM »

No, that's not it.  You should call her and say, "You know, you've been quite a jerk and I really don't care for you at all, you sad little peckerhead."
She lives in Newfoundland. I think they eat seal peckerhead there. So she may take that as a compliment.

Tomovoz

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2004, 12:30:00 AM »

FS Pogue - I behave "properly" not for grannie, but for me. Why should I behave as badly as she does? I don't give a flying fig what she thinks about me. I DO care about what I think about me, though.
A perfect attitude in my book.
I am with you all the way on that one Panni.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2004, 12:32:18 AM »

Okay, even if i'm not going to sleep, I should turn off the computer. G'night, all. G'day, tomovoz.

Panni

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2004, 12:33:06 AM »

Oh! I just read your post, Tomovoz. Thank you!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2004, 12:33:30 AM »

The Wussburger Goeth.

Panni

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2004, 12:34:19 AM »

And again... G'night/G'day.

Panni

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2004, 12:36:17 AM »

I saw that, bk! When you get up at 5:30, you can call me a Wussburger.

Panni

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2004, 12:36:56 AM »

And yet AGAIN, g'night/g'day!

Tomovoz

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2004, 01:22:51 AM »

Just logged on to Amazon. My Book recommendations are those by Mr Bruce Kimmel!
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2004, 01:25:33 AM »

Including "Reservoir Limnology". Check it out.
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2004, 03:43:53 AM »

I don't know that people who treat other people poorly need to be treated poorly necessarily.  I just don't understand why they should be dealt with at all.  Why try to maintain a relationship with someone where no relationship clearly exists?  You don't have to treat them badly, but why are they even in your life?  

If daughter wants to try and have a relationship with grannie, I suppose she can try (though grannie seems clearly uninterested), but why should you, the erstwhile daughter-in-law, still have to deal with her.  She could probably give a rat's ass whether you wish her happy birthday or not.  Does she you?  

It's not about doing something for yourself at all...You should emotionally invest in people who emotionally invest in you, whether they're blood or not.  Treating somebody "properly" with whom you have apparently have only a sham of relationship (or a shambles of a relationship) doesn't make you a better person. It only makes you someone who is wasting effort and energy where no perceivable benefit forthcoming and that seems rather foolish.

As I've gotten older, I've gotten very good at winnowing away the chaff in my life.  Relationships that require maintenance but proffer no lasting, significance benefits are waste of time. I don't believing in wasting my life on wasted lives. It's not about behaving "properly" for your own self-satisfaction (though its seems "properly" in this case is just wish them no ill, ignore them, and go on with your life) or going out of your way to treat someone badly. It's about perserving your energy, time, and emotion for people who bring real value and worth into your life.

Just because someone is a relative does not mean you are obligated to have a pretense of a relationship with them.  Not even for your daughter's sake.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2004, 05:00:57 AM »

"She lives in Newfoundland. I think they eat seal peckerhead there. So she may take that as a compliment."

DR Panni,

I barely slept last night and I'm quite groggy. But you had me in stitches.

BTW, "devilled" is the spelling in England, and in the Canadian dictionaries that favour English spelling.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2004, 05:09:34 AM »

Good morning, all!  DR George, a very happy birthday!  I wish you all the best for a wonderful year and many more to come.

Dear Friend BK, you're right about standing ovations; on Broadway I never saw one for the original MAN OF LA MANCHA, HELLO DOLLY!, 1776, PROMISES PROMISES (shows I caught in the 1960s) or any from the 70s.  My first memory of a standing ovation was the Houston Grand Opera tour of HELLO DOLLY! with Carol Channing and Leroy Reams in 1978 (?), which I saw five times in Cincinnati while I was an usher for Cincinnati Summer Opera.  At every night's performance, Channing and the Waiters got a standing ovation after the title song.  I had never seen that occur before!

Since then, my memory of SO in New York is recent; I'm not sure I recall any from the 1980s, but it seems to me that almost everything successful I've seen since 1990 brings an audience to their feet.  Maybe it's the guilt from all the noisy morons talking and behaving badly through the performance?  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up