Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CINCO DE MUSTARD  (Read 95802 times)

Ben

Re:CINCO DE MUSTARD
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2004, 05:32:30 AM »

Oh, my. 29 posts as I log on this morning. My post will bring us to page 2! Hoo and Ray. A small and short smiley dance in honor of that accomplishment so early in the morning.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D[/move]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEORGE.

I'm seeing Assassins tonight (to remember how to spell it I always say in my head, not out loud ass ass ins). I'm not sure if I will be able to see the Encores Bye Bye Birdie this week but I will see Frozen next Sunday the 16th, Fabulation, a new play at Playwrights Horizons the day before that on the 15th and Homebody/Kabul, the Tony Kushner piece, at Brooklyn Academy of Music the day before that on the 14th.

No questions yet. (I rarely have questions, don't know why but I don't). Actually I do right now! WEHT Kerry (and MG). He comes, he goes like Grand Hotel.

Later, me hearties
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 05:33:13 AM by Ben »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2004, 05:47:05 AM »

That was my other comment!  I'm seeing the Encores! dress of BYE BYE BIRDIE tonight.  I adore Karen Ziemba.  After yesterday's discussion do I "love" her?  Well, I'm awfully fond of her and her talents.  

Okay, I have to go push some Eubie Blake scores from 1940 around for a bit, as well as some Victor Herbert.  Mabe I'll even finish Mickey & Judy today?

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2004, 05:57:46 AM »

Congratulations new double God DR Jose!  Glad you're feeling better.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 05:58:38 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2004, 05:59:34 AM »

DR S. Woody White, that description of your dinner last night is making my mouth water.  OMG that sounded good!

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2004, 05:59:54 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GEORGE!![/move]

I'm back from NYC and had a great time.  I LOVED "Assassins!"

If anyone is interested in reading my review, it is herein:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/bwaybabie/56928.html#cutid2

I totally agree that standing ovations are given too often these days.  Sometimes it can be tempting to stand up along with everyone else, but I only do it if the show moved me enough.  I'm not TOO demanding an critic though, so I DO stand up about 60% of the time.  

I really want to see "Xanadu," no matter how horrendous it is.  I also love Gene Kelly's performance in "The Young Girls of Rochefort"...he speaks such lovely French!!  *sigh*

Well, I should study as I have a math exam in an hour.  Which I am ill-prepared for and absolutely dreading.

I hope everyone has a good morning!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 06:05:57 AM by Maya »

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2004, 06:14:24 AM »

DR Panni: I think you should go to the wedding. It sounds great!

Btw, I actually think it's nice that you would call granny.  Although I do get what DR Charles Pogue is saying.  Anyhow, we don't have enough information to know if granny appreciates the effort or not (since all we were told is that granny has not visited DR Panni's daughter, not that she hasn't had any communication with her).

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2004, 06:17:07 AM »

Happy Birthday DR George!

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2004, 06:19:37 AM »

Wow, I'm here all alone. :(

Ben

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2004, 06:27:21 AM »

No, you're not. Stuart and Ben are here to keep you company (for a while anyway).

I have so far to go to become a Thousandaire or Double God or Deux Dieu (is that pronounced Doo Doo, just kidding)

William E. Lurie

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2004, 06:39:33 AM »

Okay, let's get it out of the way first:  P Diddy is not nearly as bad as I expected in RAISIN IN THE SUN.  He's not up to the rest of the cast, but not so bad that he ruins the show.  If he continues to work hard, he will undoubtedly improve.  His main problem is that too often it is acting by the numbers, as if the director said "walk five steps to the right and on such-and-such a word, raise your right hand".  Still he does have a certain charm, and is probably more right for the role of Walter Lee than he would be for many other roles.

Of course he is completely outclassed by Audra McDonald, Phylicia Rashad, Sanaa Latham and the rest of the cast.  Suddenly the Tony® race in the actress and supporting actress categories could become a real contest.  The play itself holds up much better than many plays from the period with contemporary settings.  And there were two very pleasant surprises: the audience was mostly young fans of P Diddy, and they were very well-behaved and responsive to the play; and the Playbill® cover was a large picture of Lorraine Hansberry, the woman who wrote this play that is still pleasing audiences half a century later.

One other thing... unlike most plays that were later musicals, the song cues are not at all obvious.  In fact this is one case where the original play has not been made unnecessary by the subsequent musicalization.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2004, 06:43:11 AM »

DR Panni:  If you know the scene in ALL ABOUT EVE to which this refers, you'll understand the inflection, so here goes.....  In all the (months) I have known you I have never let you go to (this wedding) alone, but now, I am afraid I MUST.  You must clip those gnome(s) on the noggin(s)!  (OK, so it's a paraphrase, but all you AAE fans out there know the scene I am talking about....)

Oh, to be a fly on the wall at that affair.

And DR ELmore, the reason you saw those standing ovations for Channing in HELLO DOLLY is that her late/former husband Charles Lowe was in the audience every night and would stand up and lead them.  This happened not only on the '78 tour, but the '95 one as well.  (They were still married then, though, as memory serves, they had not had sex in 41 years.)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2004, 06:49:26 AM »

My question for everyone:
Do you have suggestions of what to put into a small time capsule?

When we opened the one from the last church building, I was disappointed it only contained a few papers (membership list, newsletter, etc) and nothing about the culture or technology.

I was thinking a CD and DVD, but don't know which ones. Maybe a TV Guide -- that kind of thing.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2004, 06:55:37 AM »

Question for DRs:

Red BOUNCE or white BOUNCE?

I got white, but I can't believe I stood there for about 30 seconds trying to pick.

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2004, 07:12:21 AM »

Happy Birthday George!!!!

And a happy birthday to HollyLynn...come and join us when you feel comfortable doing so...we would love to meet you!

« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 07:12:45 AM by MBarnum »

HollyLynn

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2004, 07:15:46 AM »

Thank you to everyone for the birthday wishes!  I do read the comumn and postings, but I just can seem to move beyone lurker status.  My Cinco de Mayo resoultion--to post more!

On my way to Margaritaville tonight...they just opened up a new Mexican resturant in town--perfect way to celebrate by birthday!

Cheers!
HolllyLynn   ;D

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2004, 07:35:59 AM »

Glad that you came out of lurker status HollyLynn. I think most of us started out as lurkers but now we post until the cows come home! LOL!

When you have time be sure to let us know a bit about yourself and I am sure BK will want to know how you found your way to HHW!

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2004, 07:37:53 AM »

Happy Birthday HollyLynn!

Jennifer

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2004, 07:40:22 AM »

Question for DRs:

Red BOUNCE or white BOUNCE?

I got white, but I can't believe I stood there for about 30 seconds trying to pick.

Yah I read about this yesterday.  Why did they make two covers?  And is there somewhere we can see them both online?  Which one is nicer?  I suppose if one orders it online, you get what you get.

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2004, 07:42:47 AM »

re: Raisin in the Sun

One other thing... unlike most plays that were later musicals, the song cues are not at all obvious.  In fact this is one case where the original play has not been made unnecessary by the subsequent musicalization.

How many songs are there?  And does Audra get to sing?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2004, 07:50:46 AM »

Happy birthday, HollyLynn! And welcome!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2004, 08:04:13 AM »

re: Raisin in the Sun How many songs are there?  And does Audra get to sing?

This is not the musical version... this is the original play that the musical RAISIN was based on.  Therefore there are no songs... just a little pre-recorded dance music.  However Audra does hum a little while doing the ironing.  What I meant about obvious song cues is that often when you see a play or movie that was turned into a musical you can easily tell where most of the songs were later inserted, often with some of the dialogue in the play showing up as lyrics in the musical.  In RAISIN IN THE SUN, you can't.

Panni

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2004, 08:14:37 AM »

Jennifer - Thank you for your thoughts on the granny issue. And you're quite right in exploring things further. Nothing is black and white -- well, yes, some things are -- newspapers, for example.

FS Pogue - I don't want to get into a debate about granny. But I do want to say, just in case you get the wrong idea, that "behaving properly" is certainly not something I do in the British sense. It has absolutely nothing to do with decorum. I don't give a rat's ass about decorum. In fact, years ago, I was the scandal of granny's family. Never before had a hurricane such as a certain Hungarian Jewess
blown into their midst.
And I AM calling her today. She's an 81-year-old woman, living alone. Picking up the phone is no huge event for me. But hearing from me will brighten her day.

Stuart - You made me laugh! If I did go to the wedding, I could walk in and say "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night."

WEL - Interesting report on RAISIN. And how wonderful that because of P. Diddy/Sean Combs a whole new audience is coming to the theater to see a seminal (and terrific) play. I admire his chutzpah.

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2004, 08:20:03 AM »

Ah okay DR WEL, now I get it.  I didn't think there were songs in RAISINS IN T HE SUN.  But I didn't understand what you meant.  And now I do.  It's too bad though to have Audra in a play and not get to hear her beautiful voice.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2004, 08:34:27 AM »

First of all, Thank You Tomovoz, Panni, DearReaderLaura, LauraII, elmore3003, Ben, Maya, Jennifer, Mbarnum for your birthday wishes!

Secondly, Happy Birthday to HollyLynn!

(I'm pretty close to hitting 1000 posts, so I'm going to pad it a bit!)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2004, 08:35:28 AM »

(I hope no one minds. ::))
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2004, 08:39:20 AM »

Today, I'm being taken out to lunch by co-workers to a place near my work called Plasa Jalisco.  It's a fairly small (chain) Mexican restaurant, but it's quite good and the ambiance is very nice.  If I remember correctly, they take pictures of the birthday people wearing a sombrero.  If they do, I'll scan it and post it later tonight. 8)

George

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2004, 08:44:12 AM »

Okay, last one, then I have to go to work:

Tonight, my sister and her boyfriend (and my niece) are taking me out for dinner.  I'm sure that we won't go to a Mexican restaurant, mainly because of the crowds and we’d need a reservation...which we don’t have, anyway.  I don’t mind.  It’s free food either way. ;D

On Saturday, my family is getting together for the "official" family birthday celebration, because my mom has to work this week.  We're going to have a barbeque and my mom is going to make my favorite dessert.  I have no idea what the name is, but it has a cookie crust on the bottom and has layers of chocolate pudding and whipped cream with cream cheese...or maybe it's chocolate pudding and cream cheese with a layer of whipped cream.  Anyway, it's my fave!

George

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2004, 08:45:28 AM »

Okay, THIS[/b] is the last one:

Only seven more to go (after this post) till I hit 1000!

Panni

« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2004, 08:52:45 AM »

FS Pogue - Okay, even though I said I wouldn't "debate"... Just read your post again, and I have to respectfully disagree with one main thought. This is not a matter or right or wrong, of course, but just the way I personally choose to lead my life... I don't think relationships can always be dealt with on a quid pro quo basis. You say, "Relationships that require maintenance but proffer no lasting, significance benefits are waste of time." Not necessarily. I don't consider my investment in people the same thing as my investment in the stock market (not that I have any investments in the stock market). Sometimes with people there is no "significant benefit." So what? Perhaps that's where karma comes in. Eventually it comes back to you. The good that you do, as well as the bad. I try to be a "good" person - sometimes that's not as easy as walking away and "preserving my energy, time and emotion," but I try. I don't always succeed -- and frankly, I don't always try - but we can strive, can't we?
(And yes, there are people - relatives, even -  whom I have cut out of my life for good reason. I'm not Pollyanna, far from it. My only link to my long-dead father, for example, is his son, my half-brother. I have not had contact with him in decades, even though he wants to have contact.)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2004, 08:54:06 AM »

Glad that you came out of lurker status HollyLynn. I think most of us started out as lurkers but now we post until the cows come home! LOL!

When you have time be sure to let us know a bit about yourself and I am sure BK will want to know how you found your way to HHW!

I have to be truthful on this matter:  BK gave me his URL over at rec.music.movies, and I followed it and jumped right in.  No time for lurking turkeys here! (Aha! A Sondheim reference!)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up