Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CINCO DE MUSTARD  (Read 95823 times)

Jennifer

Re:CINCO DE MUSTARD
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2004, 08:59:05 AM »

Okay it's time for the Page Three Dance.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]PAGE THREE DANCE!!![/move]

« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 09:01:09 AM by Jennifer »

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2004, 08:59:45 AM »

No time for lurking turkeys here! (Aha! A Sondheim reference!)

And almost a Bacharach one too!  ;)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2004, 09:05:09 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEORGE!!!

Have a wonderful day!!! :D :D :D

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2004, 09:09:33 AM »

Bruce, GOOD VIBES on your psychic radio interview!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2004, 09:11:47 AM »

Good Morning!

(Well, it will be Good Afternoon! by the time I hit "Post" here on the East Coast...)

Happy Birthday, DR George!!

Btw, the dessert you described is very familiar to me too.  Actually, I have something like it in a "local cookbook", and it's called "Better Than Sex".... Hmmm...  Guess it just all depends.... On a lot of things...  In any case, ENJOY!!!   ;)

It looks like I'm getting back to my "normal" schedule.  I just could not get to sleep until around 3:00AM.  But I did manage to get up right before 11:00, so...  *I also ended up catching the late broadcast of "While You Were Out" on The Discovery Channel.  They had a gay male couple on.  Very cute.  -Although I kept waiting to see if they would show them kissing during the final moments of the show when the other guy came back from his "vacation" (while the other one stayed at home helping fix up the mess he started).  -For those of you unfamiliar with the show, it's basically a home remodeling show... I'm still a little groggy to explain it right now, but I'm sure there's info over at tlc.com/discovery or is that discovery.com/tlc - ???  In any case, that show kept me occupied until 3:00am, but I was good and tired after the show and went right to bed.

-Hmmm.. that last sentence sounds kind of sordid... Oohhh...  To be sordid again....

???

Questions for BK:

What's been the one sickness, malady, injury that really did you in - and that you NEVER want to have again?

And what's the longest time you've ever felt "under the weather"?

And on a happier note:
Will you be donning a sombrero today and supping on Mexican food?

OK - I need to get ready to head into understudy rehearsal.  -Should be "fun" - I'll be playing on the conductor's keyboard "set-up" - of course, he's much taller than me, and he has really long legs.  And since I've been used to playing my keyboard book...  But this is what I live for!  So, I'm sure I'll have fun!

Ciao for niao!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2004, 09:17:32 AM »

Happy Birthday to Dear Reader (and near-thousandaire) George!

Happy Birthday to Dear Newbie HollyLynn!

Happy Cinco de Mayo to everyone!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2004, 09:32:31 AM »

If I did go to the wedding, I could walk in and say "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night."

You can, at that.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2004, 09:43:11 AM »

Last night's "American Idol":

We're down to five singers.  And here's my summary of it:

Jasmine Trias -- a little of her goes a long way.  I didn't realize that until her second (and better) vocal of "Almost Like Bein' in Love."  Jasmine doesn't "get" that presentation is almost as important as performance, and her consistent selection of jeans with funky belts/chains/scarves don't cut it.  A nice dress with a flowing skirt and some sassy choreography would have balanced her one-notish vocals and given her more oomph.

That said, I think she's far better than any former "American Idol" runner up other than Clay Aiken.

George Huff -- he's out of his league.  He's congenial, he's fun and he has a future in music.  In fact, he's a far better singer/performer than Ruben Studdard ever was or will be.  But this year it's not enough.  (Ruben wasn't last year's best, either, but that's a whole other issue).

Diana deGarmo -- she's fun, she has an astonishing  appreciation for/understanding of all sorts of song genres, and she has had some really good turns on AI.  But she's in third place, IMO, and it has to do with the maturity of the final two.  She needs to lose the baby fat (or mask it better), and she needs to work harder on staying on pitch!  She's a powerhouse, but she overdoes it when she doesn't need to.  She has a brilliant future ahead of her.

In alphabetical order:

Fantasia -- Quirky, unique, imaginative, and a true stylist.  She's equal to the task of being the best, yet, "American Idol."  Her "Big Band" performance was magnificent.

LaToya -- Classy, elegant, and a stylist in her own right. She has a classic voice and her performance in "Big Band" was extraordinary, IMO.  She, too, could be the best, yet, "American Idol."  I'm damned if I can choose between them.  (I could NOT vote for LaToya last night.  I tried her line for an hour and 45 minutes and it was consistently busy).

I don't know what Simon's big problem is with "Big Band," but Big Band encompassed music from ALL areas...movies, Broadway, and, of course, from the band leaders themselves.   Big Band should never be mistakenly limited to songs from the 1940s. Most singers sang songs EXACTLY in the manner that songs were sung on stage last night.  Pleasant, crooning vocals.  The swing was saved for the dance floors and trios that could sing multiple parts in harmonies.

I'd have loved for someone to have sung "I'll Be Seeing You" or "Moonlight Serenade," but given the audience and ages of the performers, "Someone to Watch Over Me" was a huge enough surprise!

Bottom line about this season, IMO:  Last year, we rooted more for Clay or Ruben or Kimberly because they were head and shoulders above a gruesome lot.  The year before, it was Kelly and only Kelly.  Look how far Justin Guarini has fallen...he was all crotch-thrusting on "AI" and that got old, fast, apparently.  He never had a good enough voice.  So, yes, Kelly shone through, as did Clay and Ruben.

This year, though, they've all been much much better singers and have given much much better performances and now we're jaded.  We keep wanting just that little bit more....that little bit more that is so totally beyond Kelly and way, way beyond Ruben to provide even now.  

Clay had it, though....and it was damned for all AI eternity by Simon as "Broadway performance."
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 09:54:40 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2004, 09:44:33 AM »

Happy five jars of mayo, George.  Use them wisely!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2004, 09:46:32 AM »

Oh re: last night's American Idol

Unlike last year when I wanted Clay to win, there isn't anybody left who I REALLY want to finish first.

Last night's show was okay.  I assume George and Jasmine will be the bottom two.  Doesn't really matter to me which of them leaves.

LaToya was my favorite last night.  But while she has a nice voice, she just doesn't excite me.

I agree that none of the songs seemed Big Band to me, which was a total shame.  It's one thing to try to stretch the rules if you cannot do that night's theme.  But none of them even tried.

I actually don't care if they choose predictable songs.  I like hearing songs that I am familiar with.  

I'm pretty sure that they get to choose their own songs.  Not sure if they get help.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2004, 09:47:26 AM »

Well, I'm awfully fond of her and her talents.  
Now there's a phrase that contradicts itself!  I know you meant "wonderfully fond of her," so why is our phrase one that tells us that your fondness for her is terrible and unbearable?

Ain't English fun?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2004, 09:50:07 AM »

I have so far to go to become a Thousandaire or Double God or Deux Dieu (is that pronounced Doo Doo, just kidding)
New tradition: upon reaching 1500 posts, we should sing "Deus Deus Deus What You Done Done Done Before."

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2004, 09:50:29 AM »

Happy Birthday George

Happy Birthday HollyLynn

Happy Cinco de Mayo Maya

Ben

« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2004, 09:54:19 AM »

DIT, only 46 more for you to become an HHW God. Keep up those early morning posts!

This puts me one closer to my goal. 61 to go.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 09:54:38 AM by Ben »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2004, 09:58:35 AM »

Heureux anniversaire, George!

Happy Birthday, HollyLynn!

Happy Wednesday, Everyone!

« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 09:58:54 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2004, 10:00:39 AM »

Questions for BK:

What's been the one sickness, malady, injury that really did you in - and that you NEVER want to have again?

And what's the longest time you've ever felt "under the weather"?

And on a happier note:
Will you be donning a sombrero today and supping on Mexican food?

I would have to say food poisoning (a second choice but I can't have what would have been the first choice again).  I have had food poisoning twice, and both times really severe food poisoning.  Awful.

The longest time I've felt under the weather was my three week chicken pox at thirty years of age.

I will not be supping on the foods of Meheeco, but I did reread the passage in Benjamin Kritzer which refers to Cinco de Mayo and wearing a large sombrero and serape.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2004, 10:01:23 AM »

Now there's a phrase that contradicts itself!  I know you meant "wonderfully fond of her," so why is our phrase one that tells us that your fondness for her is terrible and unbearable?
Ain't English fun?

I think I'll be pedantic ("Funny, you don't look Pedantic!" 8)) and say that before it entered the lexicon because of common usage to mean "terrible" -- the word "awful" meant inspiring awe.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2004, 10:01:32 AM »

Panni: In fairness to Pogue, I do believe in the post you reference he was referring to himself and his way of living - not you and your way of living.

Panni

« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2004, 10:04:15 AM »

The longest time I've felt under the weather was my three week chicken pox at thirty years of age.

Ughhhh. I'm getting itchy just thinking about that. :P

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2004, 10:06:17 AM »

When discussing this year's Tony races Ken Mandelbaum writes:

"The musical-actress category still appears to be a race between Donna Murphy and Tonya Pinkins."

What about Kristin and Idina?  Has he determined that they will cancel each other out?

http://www.broadway.com/template_1.asp?CI=38076&CT=8

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2004, 10:08:19 AM »

A question for all: If you could choose one, and only one, film that you wish had never been made, which one would it be?

Giving a reason why is optional, of course.

Panni

« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2004, 10:11:14 AM »

Panni: In fairness to Pogue, I do believe in the post you reference he was referring to himself and his way of living - not you and your way of living.

Which is exactly why I began my post by saying, "This is not a matter or right or wrong, of course, but just the way I personally choose to lead my life..."

I don't believe that Pogue needs to be defened., bk. I was in no way  "attacking" him in expressing my viewpoint. His post, after all, was prompted by something he was discussing in my life.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 10:13:02 AM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2004, 10:19:32 AM »

Read your post again.  I know I don't need to defend him but the way your post was worded made it seem like you thought he was speaking for you.  That is all.  That is why I said "In fairness"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2004, 10:19:52 AM »

And one for Mahler.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2004, 10:22:16 AM »

Let's have some questions.  Here it is, Cinco de Mayo or Mustard and we have a dearth of questions, oh, yes, we have a dearth of questions.  

I wish that the film of A Chorus Line hadn't been made - there are people who've never seen the stage version who probably think that that awful movie is what the show really is.  A total waste of celluloid.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2004, 10:28:56 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEORGE!!!

Have a wonderful day!!! :D :D :D

Thanks Jane and Jose and Jay and S. Woody and Dan-in-Toronto and RLP for the latest round of birthday wishes!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2004, 10:32:20 AM »

Read your post again.  I know I don't need to defend him but the way your post was worded made it seem like you thought he was speaking for you.  That is all.  That is why I said "In fairness"

I think you've misinterpreted my post - or perhaps it was not clearly worded. Why would I think he was speaking for me? He was expressing HIS viewpoint and I was expressing MINE. He told me what his beliefs are and I told him what mine are.

Ben

« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2004, 10:35:16 AM »

Re Ken Mandelbaum, having seen both shows (actually all 3, Wicked, Caroline and Wonderful Town), I'm not so sure that it's a race just between Murphy and Pinkins.  I think Idina has a chance. Pinkins does an excellent job and her 11 O'clock number is quite wonderful but the show, for me, does not come together as a whole, thrilling piece worthy of a Tony. There are some wonderful, exciting pieces within the show (I enjoyed the humanizing of the appliances), and some good, solid performances but I just feel like it never gels into a complete whole evening. I wanted to like it so much. I think Pinkins is a great talent and I love the work of Kushner and Tesori but I'm just not attracted to this show. I've been thinking about it for a while now (I have to write a review of the show and condense it into 90 seconds, yikes!) and it's so hard to put my feelings about the show into understandable words. Suffice it to say, getting back to Mandlebaum, I don't think Pinkins will win. She will be nominated, absolutely, but I think the race is more between Menzel and Murphy. Chenowith is absolutely delightful. I adore her. She is charming and funny and has a gorgeous voice, (here's the but you're waiting for) but, she has a bag of tricks which she performs with amazing talent. I loved her performance in Wicked but as I watched, I thought, I've seen that before or I've heard that before. That's why I think it's between Miss Murphy and Miss Menzel. Menzel's Defying Gravity number is GREAT. I feel, after seeing all three performances that Menzel should win. I don't know if she will, but I think she should.

I feel like I'm rambling again so I will close out and get back to work.

Jennifer

« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2004, 10:38:20 AM »

DR George, you are so sweet to thank everyone individually.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2004, 10:39:06 AM »

Now, now, if you kids can't be nice to each other you'll have to go to your separate rooms.  DON'T MAKE ME COME IN THERE!  :)  (Are my most excellent parenting skills coming through the internet).

My Ask BK question:  do you ever watch the daily talk shows, like Oprah and/or Dr. Phil?  Do you have a favorite?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up