Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WHERE DID THE TIME GO?  (Read 70145 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:WHERE DID THE TIME GO?
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2004, 08:33:16 AM »

Maybe this one will help...

???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2004, 08:34:44 AM »

YIPPEE!!

OK - My work here is done this morning...

I need to save my energy for the matinee - I actually "dance" at the top of the second act.  ;)

You - whoever you may be - may have this dance... well, the Page 2 Dance.

Boogie till the cows come home!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2004, 08:51:41 AM »

Page Two Dance for DR JOSE.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2004, 09:02:34 AM »

For years and years, I insisted ADAM'S RIB was my favorite Tracy/Hepburn. When I got the DVD of PAT & MIKE and watched it again, I had a new favorite. I truly think it's magnificent, certainly the team at their peak. And PAT & MIKE has the added bonus of the ever wonderful Aldo Ray, so I have to rank it a bit above ADAM'S RIB. STATE OF THE UNION has some wonderful work by the pair too, and I do love DESK SET even if I think it's too long to support the material. That rooftop IQ test faceoff between the two of them is one of the best things they ever did together.

Have any of you ever noticed that Emeric - the IBM computer in DESK SET is also on board the Seaview in VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA? Fox got a lot of nice use out of that prop.

Favorite Hepburn pictures:

LITTLE WOMEN
BRINGING UP BABY
HOLIDAY
SUMMERTIME
THE LION IN WINTER

Favorite Tracy pictures:

SAN FRANCISCO
FATHER OF THE BRIDE
BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK
INHERIT THE WIND
JUDGMENT AT NUREMBURG

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2004, 09:06:55 AM »

Speaking of dance, did anyone catch the Live from Lincoln Center celebration of George Balanchine's 100th birthday last night?  It wasn't an outstanding tribute, but it was still nice to see this kind of programming on broadcast TV.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2004, 09:13:40 AM »

Have any of you ever noticed that Emeric - the IBM computer in DESK SET is also on board the Seaview in VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA? Fox got a lot of nice use out of that prop.

That's probably Irwin Allen's doing--one of the cheapest skinflints in Hollywood.  There wasn't anything that he wouldn't use at least twice.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2004, 09:29:05 AM »

Looking over the titles in our DVD collection, I've found that the only Tracy film we own a copy of is MMMMW, which I dislike.  Given der Brucer's penchant of late for finding DVDs in the bargain bin, this can only suggest one thing, that Tracy and Hepburn are cherce, not cheap.

We do have Lion in Winter on laserdisc, one of the great films IMO.  Love her, love him, love the score, love the scale of the film.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2004, 09:33:01 AM »

elmoore, try sending an e again.  I haven't been getting much e-mail at that address - I may have to alert AOL if there's a problem.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2004, 09:40:12 AM »

DRMATTH - and look!  Emmy was major set dressing for Fox's THE FLY and  RETURN OF THE FLY as well.

That must have been some program - or hairpin!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2004, 09:44:49 AM »

elmoore, can you tell me if you sent the e-mail to bruce@haineshisway.com?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2004, 10:01:47 AM »

DRMATTH - and look!  Emmy was major set dressing for Fox's THE FLY and  RETURN OF THE FLY as well.

Emmy also appeared in The Invisible Boy, where she met Robby the Robot.  The two hit it off and married shortly after filming was complete.  They divorced in 1961 (the old "irreconcilable differences".)
-- Anaïs Nin

VinTek

• Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2004, 10:04:24 AM »

BK,

Please check and tell me if the interview is at 5PM PDT, not PST.  I'm not sure if they told you wrong, or if they're on some kind of broadcast standard time and I should tune in at 6PM PDT instead.  Thanks.
Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first person she meets, then teams up with 3 complete strangers to kill again
- Marin County newspaper listing for The Wizard of Oz

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2004, 10:05:24 AM »

I just did a test by sending an e to bruce@haineshisway.com and then to the address it gets forwarded to and the one to bruce@haineshisway.com didn't go through.  I've sent an e to Mr. Mark Bakalor to see what the problem is.  I have gotten virtually almost no e-mails in the last two days, so there definitely is something screwy - I got a book order, which gets forwarded via bruce@haineshisway.com (my paypal username) that never showed up - I only found out about it because I went to the paypal site for other reasons.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2004, 10:10:21 AM »

Fav Tracys: Libeled Lady, Inherit the Wind, Bad Day at Black Rock

Fav Hepburns:  Holiday, Philadelphia Story, Lion In Winter, Long Day's Journey Into Night

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2004, 10:20:58 AM »

Interesting inequity:

One on Katharine Hepburn's most famous roles was as Tracy Samantha Lord, in Philadelphia Story.

On the other hand, Spencer Tracy never played a character named Hepburn.  Or Katharine.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2004, 10:27:51 AM »

Libeled Lady!  That's the movie I was trying to think of - with Tracy and Jean Harlow and William Powell and Myrna Loy....LOL!

Remade as Easy to Wed with Van Johnson, Esther Williams, Lucille Ball, and Keenan Wynn!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2004, 10:35:37 AM »

elmoore, can you tell me if you sent the e-mail to bruce@haineshisway.com?

Dear Friend BK, I'm sorry I didn't see your posts earlier; I've been proofing the M&J computer scores.  Both yesterday and today when I send mail to Bruce@haineshisway.com, they come back as undeliverable.  I just sent some copies to haineshisway@aol.com.  Did those go through?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2004, 10:36:18 AM »

Must be over 30 years ago now that I saw Hepburn on stage (in Toronto) in the musical COCO. I have not one single recollection of her perfomance. This either means that it was lost in the cavernous O'Keefe Center, or there was nothing very memorable about it. I certainly remember other performances I saw that long ago -- even before then.

I should add JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG to  my Tracy list. BTW - I notice that noone else (I think) has listed CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS. I know it's over the top - but it's FUN.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 10:37:23 AM by Panni »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2004, 10:39:36 AM »

Must be over 30 years ago now that I saw Hepburn on stage (in Toronto) in the musical COCO. I have not one single recollection of her perfomance. This either means that it was lost in the cavernous O'Keefe Center, or there was nothing very memorable about it. I certainly remember other performances I saw that long ago -- even before then.

I should add JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG to  my Tracy list. BTW - I notice that noone else (I think) has listed CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS. I know it's over the top - but it's FUN.

DR Ranni, I like CAPTAIN'S COURAGEOUS as well and I forgot SAN FRANCISCO earlier today!  It's allergies, it's aging, it's preroccupation, it's Alzheimers.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2004, 10:44:27 AM »

Julia Jordan, librettist, and Laurence O'Keefe, lyricist, are winners of this year's Kleban Award.  They've collaborated with each other (on The Mice - the first part of a never-made-it-to-New-York show, 3hree).  I think they're worthy choices and my hat is off to both of them.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2004, 11:13:40 AM »

I also saw Coco at the O'Keefe. Yes - a good 30 years ago (ouch! I had to double check). Cecil Beaton's sets and costumes were the real stars of the show, and Hepburn's "Shit!" drew gasps from the Toronto audience. If you want to hear something scary, go to Amazon/Coco and listen to the sample of "The World Belongs To The Young." Is this the same Alan Jay Lerner who wrote My Fair Lady? And how many syllables does "Youth" have?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2004, 11:19:05 AM »

Julia Jordan, librettist, and Laurence O'Keefe, lyricist, are winners of this year's Kleban Award.  They've collaborated with each other (on The Mice - the first part of a never-made-it-to-New-York show, 3hree).  I think they're worthy choices and my hat is off to both of them.

DR Noel,

As I recall, you had applied for the Kleban. Your comments were very gracious. Next year, our hats will be off to you.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2004, 11:22:48 AM »

According to today's Broadway.Com, the Washington production of BIRDIE was cancelled.  No reason was given, but coming on the opening day of the Encores! version I wonder if there is a connection.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2004, 11:36:05 AM »

BRING BACK BIRDIE!!

Ben

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2004, 11:41:43 AM »

Oy, I saw Bring Back Birdie, with Mr. Donald O'Connor and Miss Chita Rivera at the then Martin Beck Theatre. Nuff said, except that the night I saw it Miss Ann Miller, gracious as ever, was in the audience and signed autographs for one and all

Ben

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2004, 11:44:50 AM »

According to Playbill On-Line La Cage will be in NYC in November. Rumour has it now that Aida is closing the show will go into the Palace where it opened originally Aug. 21, 1983. No out of town tryout and Jerry Zaks directs.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/86024.html

Ben

« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2004, 11:47:32 AM »

Four more to get to page 3. It seems to be a slow day. What would BK say??? Let's move people!

BTW, TOD

LIW (that's The Lion in Winter).

I could not abide On Golden Pond. The line "you old poop" summed up the entire movie for me.

I think my favorite HT (that's Hepburn Tracy) is Adam's Rib w/Desk Set a close second.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2004, 11:48:32 AM »

Yes, slow day, and I've been on hold trying to get this e-mail prob fixed for thirty minutes.

Ben

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2004, 12:23:40 PM »

Alright, we have to get to page 3 so here's a post or two to get us there.

Ben

« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2004, 12:24:05 PM »

Here's another one to end page 2
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up