Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEKKEND REPORT  (Read 79981 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE WEKKEND REPORT
« on: May 07, 2004, 12:01:26 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know what the wekkend will be bringing, you know the topic, so let's put on our seven league boots and do some postin', shall we?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004, 12:02:03 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE WEKKEND REPORT
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 12:09:20 AM »

I remember seeing DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK on TV in Canada years ago. Really liked it. I agree that MM was very good. It didn't seem like a performance -- I was almost uncomfortable watching her. (This is a compliment.)

Panni

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 12:16:56 AM »

SOME LIKE IT HOT is one of my favorite MM performances. She's gorgeous and sweetly vulnerable and so funny.
More tomorrow - today really. G'night.
(Interesting factoid: Across the street from me is the house where MM and Joe DiMaggio lived when they first got married.)

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 01:24:05 AM »

Favourite Marilyn Monroe films: "Some Like It Hot" and "Bus Stop".
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 01:24:33 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 03:45:56 AM »

Good morning, all!  I enjoyed the FRIENDS finale, and the clips show before it was fun to watch, sort of like going through an old photo album. And so much for that.  Let's get to TOD:

SOME LIKE IT HOT
ALL ABOUT EVE
HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE
BUS STOP
SEVEN YEAR ITCH

My favorite Monroe scene is the one in HT MARRY A MILLIONAIRE, when she's looking glamorous in all the mirrors and then walks into the door.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 05:01:14 AM »

Oh, my! We need our party hats and pantaloons. It is an important occasion today, May 7th, 2004. It is the birthday of:

DR Danise[/color]

Just days before her fabled trip to New York

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D[/move]

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 05:42:54 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR DANISE[/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

td

• td
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004, 05:53:32 AM »

My favorite MM performance is in the technicolored noir film, NIAGRA; which actully makes a great follow-up to DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK.
No doubt that my favorite MM flick is SOME LIKE IT HOT, her fuzzy end of the lollipop scene gets me everytime.
Ater those:
GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES
THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH
BUS STOP
O. HENRY'S FULL HOUSE (still not out on dvd)
HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE

Has some studio exec been smarter in the 1950's, she could've done a remake of ROXIE HART, and done it very well.

MM does have that delightful "After You Get What You Want" in THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS, and then there's that terrifically over the top "Heat Wave" in the same film.  

George Chakiris can be glimpsed in the latter number, but in GENTLEMEN'S "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend," he's much easier to spot.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 05:54:15 AM »

Well, bless my soul!
HAPPY NATAL DAY TO DR DANISE!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ben

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004, 05:55:10 AM »

I love Marilyn's little scene in All About Eve. I also like Niagra and The Misfits and How to Marry a Millionaire.

I'm listening to BBC Radio right now. I may switch over to CDs later. In the VCR is yesterday's episode of Two's Company. I have been waiting patiently for my delivery of Call Me Madam on DVD. According to the e-mail I received it has been shipped and was supposed to be here sometime between April 30 and May 7. I hope that it arrives either this afternoon or Monday morning.

We are doing small projects in the apartment so we are not watching much on TV or DVD or VCR. We are, however, listening to many CDs and burning some of them as well.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 05:56:11 AM by Ben »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 06:25:57 AM »

Isn't today "what's in your media players day"?  I know that Friday used to be "Talent Roundup Day".

Anyway, I love some of Marilyn's early films when she was Marilyn Monroe and not MARILYN MONROE... things like "Monkey Business" or "O'Henry's Full House".  I don't think Fox knew what to do with her and she would have been better off at MGM.

In case you haven't heard, ASSASSINS is considered a revival for the Tony® Awards.  One of the reasons is that nobody bothered to put in an offical request to consider it as a new musical.  More disturbing is that since BARBARA COOK'S BROADWAY played an "irregular schedule" it is NOT elegible for a Special Event Tony®.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2004, 07:03:55 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Danise!

MBarnum

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2004, 07:05:45 AM »

Yes, DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK is a very good and creepy film. And of course little Donna Corcoran (sister to Noreen) is the poor little tyke who is tormented by Ms. Monroe.

Favorite MMs: SOME LIKE IT HOT and GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES.

Jennifer

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2004, 07:06:35 AM »

Comments on last night's Friend's finale:

Did it go way over on NBC?  Here on Global it went till past 10:05pm.

I liked the finale a lot.  I think they stayed very true to the show.  When Monica and Chandler got two babies ... well it was hilarious.  And of course Ross and Rachel were going to end up together.  While that was predictable, the answering machine part of it was fun and cute.  I was really happy with the ending, although somewhat surprised that they did not bring up Joey moving out to LA.

MBarnum

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2004, 07:23:49 AM »

I watched the FRIENDS finale last night also DR Jennifer. I haven't really watched FRIENDS much in the last few years so I wasn't as invested in the show as some others, but I didn't want to be the only person NOT to see the last episode! LOL!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 07:24:44 AM by MBarnum »

Panni

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2004, 07:36:22 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DANISE!!!

Panni

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2004, 07:46:27 AM »

To add to my MM list (started earlier with SLIH)... THE MISFITS, HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE, THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH, BUS STOP. And I'm going to include THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS - although I haven't seen it in MANY years and might not like it as much now - but I used to like it and like MM in it. I also have a weak spot for THE PRINCE AND THE SHOWGIRL because it's such a strange film and where else can you hear Laurence Olivier attempt to speak Hungarian. She's very beautiful to look at in that film and she tries, she really tries. ....The more I think about it, the more I realize that I like ALL of her films.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 08:37:29 AM by Panni »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2004, 08:01:40 AM »

Marilyn is glorious in THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS, and I've always found it a validation of her star quality that when she walks into the frame in ALL ABOUT EVE, you're drawn to her despite such towering star presences all around her. Amazing what she did with such a small part. Great writing, of course, and then she gives it all it needs to be unforgettable.

GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES is my favorite performance, but I think all of her performances hold up really well. Never been real big on THE PRINCE AND THE SHOWGIRL, and reading the diary about its making is enough to curl one's otherwise straight hair, but you can't beat her in SOME LIKE IT HOT or THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH or BUS STOP.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2004, 08:04:47 AM »

PANNI lives in an historical neighborhood!

Happy Birhtday DRDANISE!!!!

I like DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK  as well....almost a sort of "real time" movie that takes place all on one night.  And Marilyn's performance does come from somewhere in her bleak past.

Favorite Monroe films....hmmmmmm....like them all, but like other DR's:

NIAGARA - "Work on your Maxwell, I'll be back."

HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE - "Is there a Mr. Cadillac?"

BUS STOP - "I told you....it's Sher---eee...Cherry just ain't....dignified!"

THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS - especially the finale when they're all marching in place and Mitzi Gaynor actually believes someone might be looking at her!

RIVER OF NO RETURN - her songs....and her scenes with Tommy Rettig.

Favorite moments.....so many....but if I have to choose:

GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES - when she is handed a tiara and holds it to each breast trying to figure out what it is.  When she tells the old man:  "I'm not marrying him for his money...I'm marrying him for YOUR money."  And then scene with the detective when Marilyn jumps a line and they just go on....  I also like when Jane Russell says:  "Listen between the two of us, if we can't get that man's pants off we're not worthy of the name woman."

The piano bench scene with Tom Ewell in THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH.

I will leave others for other DR's.  Marilyn was special....she connected to the audience, and even at a young age, I wanted to be her friend and help her and spend time with her....she was the real deal!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2004, 08:05:47 AM »

The FRIENDS finale did not suggest Joey going to LA because creators Marta Kauffman and David Crane were determined that the finale would honor all six characters and not be used as a setup for the spinoff (which they aren't going to be involved with). ANd I think they were dead right to do it.

There is plenty of time for Joey to set up moving to LA once his show begins. We've had 10 years to get to know his life in NYC. His own show can fully well set him off in a new direction with the first episode. (The pilot, by the way, was filmed last weekend, and there have been clips of it turning up on NBC over the last couple of days to whet people's appetites for the show. It will air in the FRIENDS Thursday night timeslot.)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2004, 08:08:35 AM »

;D

Just a reminder:

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2004, 08:18:44 AM »

I had it written down and everything but I didn't look over at the paper next to the computer.  So, I've added Danise's birthday to the notes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2004, 08:22:58 AM »

Proper birthday wishes are now added to the proper notes and everything is properly proper once again.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2004, 08:36:16 AM »

Happy Birthday Dear Reader and World Traveler Danise!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2004, 08:38:02 AM »

Most of my favorite MM flix and moments have been mentioned already, but we cannot forget the subway grate scene in The Seven Year Itch, Dear Readers!

That dress!  That look!  Iconography at its best!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 08:38:52 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2004, 08:39:54 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR Danise!!!

I put in the DVD of THE PRISONER OF SECOND AVENUE yesterday, and I really liked how the film looked. One would never know it's over 30 years old except for the mono sound. I remember bk making comments about this some months back, but don't remember exactly what he said. I thought Anne Bancroft was excellent. Jack Lemmon, on the other hand, gave a fussy and irritating performance, and I lost complete sympathy for his character's predicament.

Did anyone see the Broadway version with Peter Falk? I wish he hadn't been occupied with COLUMBO or some other project, because I think the film might have been something special had he done the role in the film.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2004, 08:40:17 AM »

So true DRJAY.  When I was doing a search for Marilyn Pictures - that one was featured numerous times.

If someone wants to put the 1950's into visual terms, they always include at least one image each of Marilyn, Elvis, and James Dean.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2004, 08:41:02 AM »

DRMATTH - you could have come to see ME do the role!

Panni

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2004, 08:41:48 AM »

Is my memory playing tricks on me - the sly old thing - or does Anne Bancroft sing in DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK?

Panni

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2004, 08:44:21 AM »

JR - For a moment when I read your post I thought you meant that you played the role of Marilyn. An interesting image. ("Happy Birthdayyyyy, Mr. President...")
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up