Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: ANTICIPATION  (Read 11243 times)

Ben

Re: ANTICIPATION
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2010, 06:35:55 AM »

The show contained cast members who were objects of my first adolescent crushes.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2010, 06:59:02 AM »

TOD:

Cheyenne was my favourite western of all time (still currently running on the Encore Westerns channel), but I pretty much watched most Westerns from the "Golden Age".  But I've recently been discovering both HAVE GUN-WILL TRAVEL and GUNSMOKE on the Westerns channel.  Shows I never watched.  Both have their charms; but I quite taken with GUNSMOKE and a lot of their very dark, downbeat stories...things don't always work out well.  And, of course, in both these shows, it's always fun to see young actors who later became stars.

FJL

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2010, 06:59:39 AM »

I got a phone call last night saying that I'm one of the eight "finalists for the Fred Ebb Foundation award."  Highly unlikely for me to win, but after talking to Jose - who seems to know of such things - and then on that basis knowing what to look for in doing some searching on the net, it does seem that "Fred Ebb Award finalist" (while obviously not anywhere near the value of getting the award) is included on the sites and such of some up-and-coming writers, so "finalist" could be an end in and of itself.

And DR Julie, if you're reading this, thanks.  Julie basically picked out which songs I should include on the CD out of so many I gave her to listen to.

I was wondering whether i should take off some of my Kander-and-Ebb parodies on the net lest someone happen across them while deliberating, but they're so much more tribute-like towards Mr. Ebb and Mr. Kander in their commenting than anything else, so i haven't done anything like that yet.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 07:03:28 AM by FJL »

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2010, 07:07:49 AM »

I got a phone call last night saying that I'm one of the eight "finalists for the Fred Ebb Foundation award."  Highly unlikely for me to win, but after talking to Jose - who seems to know of such things - and then on that basis knowing what to look for in doing some searching on the net, it does seem that "Fred Ebb Award finalist" (while obviously not anywhere near the value of getting the award) is included on the sites and such of some up-and-coming writers, so "finalist" could be an end in and of itself.

And DR Julie, if you're reading this, thanks.  Julie basically picked out which songs I should include on the CD out of so many I gave her to listen to.

I was wondering whether i should take off some of my Kander-and-Ebb parodies on the net lest someone happen across them while deliberating, but they're so much more tribute-like towards Mr. Ebb and Mr. Kander in their commenting than anything else, so i haven't done anything like that yet.

Congratulations. That's great news.

Unless the parodies are nasty toward Kander and Ebb, I wouldn't remove them.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2010, 07:13:30 AM »

For me, the best of the TV westerns were not the series so much as the mini-series. While I watched "Gunsmoke" and "High Chaparral" as a kid, I really don't remember them the way I do "Lonesome Dove" and "The Good Ole Boys."

Absolutely! 

With the mini-series, they had longer shooting schedules.

BROKEN TRAIL
was another good one.

I also loved DEADWOOD, but I'm still pissed off at HBO for not letting them do the 4th season...or even the 2 movies to wrap up the story.
You can dream…or you can do.

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2010, 07:13:30 AM »

Congratulations, DR FJL!  Isn't there a saying about imitation being a form of flattery?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2010, 07:14:44 AM »

Congrats!

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2010, 07:17:21 AM »

I see that British comedian Norman Wisdom has died.

I saw him do WALKING HAPPY at the Los Angeles Music Center.

A member of that cast was Michael Berkson, a classmate of mine at the University of Washington Drama Dept.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2010, 07:20:57 AM »

I've sometimes wondered if Miss Frances Farmer watched THE HIGH CHAPARRAL.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2010, 07:29:04 AM »

I am sure she did, DR JMK.....

And of course there is the night that the local JP in West Lafayette held her impromptu Drunk Driving hearing during the commercials of Bonanza.  The wife of the JP told Frances that she put on her best earrings to meet her, and Frances told the woman of an alternate location in which to wear the jewelry.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2010, 07:29:54 AM »

I loved The Rifleman and Bonanza. Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers, Lone Ranger. Sky King was a sort of a western, and he had a plane and a niece named Penny... Davey, Davey Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier!! Daniel Boone! And that other guy who died at the Alamo -- whathisname...
PennyO

John G.

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2010, 07:30:58 AM »

For me, the best of the TV westerns were not the series so much as the mini-series. While I watched "Gunsmoke" and "High Chaparral" as a kid, I really don't remember them the way I do "Lonesome Dove" and "The Good Ole Boys."

Absolutely! 

With the mini-series, they had longer shooting schedules.

BROKEN TRAIL
was another good one.

I also loved DEADWOOD, but I'm still pissed off at HBO for not letting them do the 4th season...or even the 2 movies to wrap up the story.
My brain's not working this morning. "Deadwood" is at the top of the list for me. How could I forget it.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2010, 07:31:59 AM »

Paladin!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2010, 07:32:20 AM »

Maverick!!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2010, 07:33:05 AM »

Have Gun, Will Travel!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2010, 07:34:04 AM »

is the card of a man - a knight without armor in a savage lan... his fast gun for hire...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2010, 07:35:14 AM »

Wagon Train!!!
PennyO

FJL

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2010, 07:36:42 AM »

Thanks folks, for the good wishes!

John G.

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2010, 07:41:55 AM »

Sounds like "Leap of Faith"'s problem is once again the director, a man who did little with "Curtains" and even less with "Promises, Promises":

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonster/2010/10/theater-review-leap-of-faith-at-the-ahmanson.html
― Voltaire

VinTek

• Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2010, 07:47:10 AM »

1 errant and truant reader hereby reporting in.   :)

Happy anniversary to HHW and all who inhabit its environs.
Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first person she meets, then teams up with 3 complete strangers to kill again
- Marin County newspaper listing for The Wizard of Oz

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2010, 07:54:15 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I've really grown fond of ricotta cheese on my bagel.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2010, 07:54:34 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Jenny!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2010, 07:54:56 AM »

Congratulations (once again), DR FJL!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2010, 07:55:08 AM »

Welcome back, VinTek. Has anybody heard how Thom is doing?
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2010, 07:57:41 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Well...

Remember when the Topic of the Day was our least favorite "film genre"?  Well...

Although, I do remember watching episodes of the "Lone Ranger" on my parents' HUGE B&W console TV when we lived in Seattle.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2010, 08:00:15 AM »

TOD:

Some of my favorite childhood memories are of TV westerns, including favorites "Hopalong Cassidy" and "Wild Bill Hickock" ("Hey! Wild Bill!  Wait for me!" was Andy Devine's trademarked line in each and every episode...or so it seems) and "The Lone Ranger".

I, too, loved any episode of "Annie Oakley" I could watch and "The Roy Rogers Show" (Happy Trails to you...until we meet again).  And there were the wonderful network TV westerns that included "Have Gun, Will Travel" (Wire Paladin. San Francisco), "Wagon Train" ("Wagons...Ho-oh!"), "Sugarfoot", "The Rebel", "The Rifleman", "Cheyenne", "Bronco", "Wanted! Dead or Alive", "Laramie" and "The Lawman."

If a show had horses and was set on a ranch, does that qualify it as a western, even if contemporary?  If so, then add "Fury".  And "My Friend Flicka".
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 08:04:32 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2010, 08:03:20 AM »

Sounds like "Leap of Faith"'s problem is once again the director, a man who did little with "Curtains" and even less with "Promises, Promises":

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonster/2010/10/theater-review-leap-of-faith-at-the-ahmanson.html

Just to be fair(?) to Mr. Ashford, the director of Curtains was Scott Ellis.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2010, 08:11:14 AM »

And I do have to wonder just what "shape" the show would be in had they retained Taylor Hackford (a.k.a. Mr. Helen Mirren) as the director. He directed the workshop I saw of the show back in 1998(!).  Leap of Faith was supposed to have been his Broadway debut.

And the Marva in that workshop opposite Raúl Esparza was Kelli O'Hara. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2010, 08:14:34 AM »

And now it's time for some mid-day errands, as well as a taping of "The Martha Stewart Show".  :)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2010, 08:15:09 AM »

Just to be fair(?) to Mr. Ashford, the director of Curtains was Scott Ellis.
thank you. But it was his choreography.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up