Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MOTHER'S DAY  (Read 84803 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:MOTHER'S DAY
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2004, 10:43:52 AM »

And you know that all the errant and truant will return tomorrow posting pithy things like, "Oh, I was errant and truant" and they will have a variety and also a hollywood reporter of reasons, and we shall laugh and laugh and then bitch-slap them from here to eternity and hell and back.  They will know the the wrath of kahn, and the grapes of wrath, and the grapes of kahn and the wrath of grapes.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2004, 10:44:07 AM »

Well, there you are - page two.

td

• td
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2004, 10:45:22 AM »

Does Mahler need another one?   :o
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2004, 10:50:58 AM »

I'm telling you they will feel the grapes of wrath and the wrath of kahn.  If kahn isn't available, then they will feel the wrath of Cohen.  They will feel the grapes of Cohen.  Of course, Cohen might not want his/her grapes felt and he/she might lash out and slug the feeler.  They shall feel the wrath of grapes and let me tell you grapes have a LOT of wrath.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2004, 10:55:10 AM »

I'm telling you they will feel the ire of meyer, and cherries of fire.  Cherries of Fire, wasn't that an Academy Award-winning film?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2004, 10:55:42 AM »

If I may be Scrooge for a moment (wrong holiday, I know)... Here are my true thoughts on Mother's Day (and Father's Day)... IMHO these are artificial holidays invented by commercial entities for commercial gain. Period. For many people who have never had children, but wanted to; who have absent children; whose children have died; for others whose mother has passed on or is "absent" in other ways; for children of divorce; for young children whose mother has died ...etc., etc...the permutations are vast... This is a day to be depressed and lonely. A day to be an outsider, nose pressed against the windows of all those seemingly happy families. (Please let me add that I'm not speaking about myself. I take days like today with a huge grain of salt. I love my daughter, she loves me. If we're together on Mother's Day - lovely - if not, we'll be together another day. As for my mother, I do miss her, yes - but the biggest fight I ever had with her when I was a kid - actually I never fought with her, never fought back, that is - it wasn't allowed - so it was the ONLY fight - was once on Mother's Day when I didn't get her a present.) To get back to my point - I do believe that as nice as it is to show one's mother appreciation, one shouldn't need a holiday to do that. This day just serves to rub salt into the wounds of those who are already hurting.
End of rant. Back to business as usual.

Panni

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2004, 10:57:15 AM »

...And how come there's no Mahler's Day, I ask you!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2004, 10:58:10 AM »

Of course, the latter is cause for concern, not only gender-wise, but, strange as it may seem, several friends as well as several acquaintances have told me that when they have a dream about me, they see an auburn haired lass wearing a richly brocaded, green velvet gown with a string of pearls around her ivory neck!   I've seen a girl who looks like that in my dreams, but, she's always a contemporary Frenchwoman - once she was a militant - who is leading me through The Louvre.  She has never entered my dreamstate as a personage from a different century, though.

Now, does anyone else have any reincarnation tales

When I was a child, early 1950s, I used to dream of long buildings, barbed wire fences, and mud.  Around 1977, I had a peculiar dream involving my friend Eugene and his girfriend Peggy who was a librarian in Cincinnati:  we were on a packed train, claustrophobically crammed, and the word was, if you're assigned to the showers, you're dead.  Well, I was sent to the showers, and my last memory of this nightmare is some sort of gaseous explosion.  I kid you not; I dreamed this.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2004, 10:59:53 AM »

"Shame!  Come back, Shame!"

(The kid sticks his toe in a gopher hole while running and falls spat on his face.  Well, it would certainly grab Shame's attention.)

Here's another topic, if anyone is interested: Take a now-cliche scene from the movies, and tell us how you would shake up that cliche.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2004, 11:02:04 AM »

Does Mahler need another one?   :o
How do you think he got through his symphonies?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2004, 11:02:37 AM »

I'm telling you they will feel the ire of meyer, and cherries of fire.  Cherries of Fire, wasn't that an Academy Award-winning film?

And didn't it have a theme song by the lovely Spanish soprano Victoria de los Vangelis?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2004, 11:02:38 AM »

Oh - and for those of you who really like Mother's Day and are enjoying a beautiful day today - let me quote my patron saint, Rosanne Rosannadanna..."Never mind."

Panni

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2004, 11:07:01 AM »

Larry - The dream is simple to explain. You're obviously the real son of Madeline Albright.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2004, 11:08:32 AM »

Soon to be remade as a musical, Cherries Jubilee.

Panni

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2004, 11:11:52 AM »

This morning I was watching CBS Sunday Morning - one of the last of the civilized programs (or so I thought). So they begin with the news. The president of Chechnya was watching a military parade. There was a bomb under the stands and he, along with many others, was blown up and killed. And then - they show a close-up of the man right after he was blown up! I cannot get the image out of my head. I haven't been able to get my breakfast down yet. ...And these are the same people who call Janet Jackson's breast obscene!
End of rant #2.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2004, 11:18:59 AM »

BYE BYE BIRDIE isn't exactly the kind of show that Encores! was created to do, but I'm glad they did.  I first saw the show in 1961, about ten months after it opened, and unlike today, there was not one replacement for any of the eleven principals yet, and no understudies going on for a Wednesday matinee.  I subsequently saw the First National Tour, the terrible first movie version, the television movie version and dozens of amateur productions over the year.  I'm happy to report that the Encores! Version resorted back to the initial production (no terrible title song) and despite the dreaded credit "concert adaptation", the only thing missing was the "How To Kill A Man Ballet" and some very minor dialogue.

As you know, I am a major Karen Ziemba fan, and she was wonderful as Rose.  True she isn't Spanish, but this role gave her the chance to show off all her talents and she sparkled.  By the way, this role was initially created as Polish for Carol Haney.  When Haney got sick, it was going to be played by Eydie Gorme who got pregnant.  When Chita was cast the Polish jokes were changed to Spanish jokes and the song "Spanish Rose" --- a song which would never be written in today's politically correct climate --- was added.

Daniel Jenkins was fine as Albert, but missing that something extra that Karen brought to Rose.  Jessica Grové was a perfect Kim, Bob Gaynor an ideal Conrad Birdie.  Less impressive were Doris Roberts as Mae and Walter Bobbie as Harry MacAfee, but then having seen Kay Medford and Paul Lynde in those roles, I have never seen anyone match them.

This was fully staged and the set was based on the Robert Randolph "Telephone Hour" jungle gym.  The orchestra was excellent, and the original orchestrations were used rather than the watered down ones that are included with the rental material for groups doing this show.

The ads for ONCE UPON A MATTRESS gave no indication that this was a cut-down version done as an end-of-the-year class project for a drama school.  Yet the whole production was only 75 minutes long, three songs were totally missing and most other songs were cut in half.  However the original book was used instead of the awful rewritten version for the Broadway revisal, and it holds up very well, even in a less than ideal production.

To begin with, the head of this drama school probably picked this show so he could play Queen Aggravin in drag (her lines and songs were not abridged at all).  However there is a difference between a male actress (Harvey Fierstein, Charles Busch) and a bad drag queen, and her makeup inspired by Divine in "Pink Flamingos" didn't help.  To compensate for a male Queen, King Sextimus  was played by a woman.  And because this school has students of all ages, third grade girls played the Minstrel and the Jester.  Now there are hundreds (if not thousands) of talented children in New York.  These two are not among them.

A couple of non-students were brought in, and I am happy to say that Kristin Maloney was a wonderful Winifred, even though her songs were all shortened. Dauntless was played by a very good comic actor who could not sing at all.  He was the school's Assistant Acting Director (and reading between the lines in the program notes, probably Queen Aggravain's life partner).  In fact none of the singing leads could sing, although the chorus could and all had that extra spark of stage presence that is so often missing.

What the hell - it was a cheap ticket and it was good hearing the original dialogue from the show, or what was left of it.  And this production shows how well the material has aged.  It's a shame that the revisal has made a future major production very unlikely.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 11:24:31 AM by William E. Lurie »
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2004, 11:19:02 AM »

I, for one, call Janet Jackson's breast beautiful, but nobody ever asked me.

Do my eyes deceive me?  Is the sublime Miss Jones, perhaps the best American actress working in theatre today, really doing her own revisal of the Moss Hart-Cole Porter shipboard collaboration.  I'd be delighted to attend Cherry's Jubilee.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2004, 11:21:33 AM »

I'm telling you they will feel the wrath of Roth and the figs of wrath.  No, no, not figs, raisins - ah, liasons.  

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2004, 11:23:51 AM »

DR Michael, my very best vibes to your dad and your family.

td

• td
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2004, 11:31:52 AM »

I thought that Terrence and Philip did that movie, CHERRIES OF FIRE.  Didn't they have that song, "Shut Your ****ing Face Uncle ****er?"
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2004, 11:32:39 AM »

DR MattH,

This is not a jinx. Coco and I Had a Ball - we had different opinions on these. But I have a major hunch you're going to love The Boy From Oz as much as I did. From the simple first number to the blow-out finale, Hugh Jackman took my breath away. And the supporting cast, notably Beth Fowler (who deserves a best featured actress Tony nomination), is fine, too.

I arrived in New York the night BfO opened, and treated myself to an opening night ticket. And here's a direct quote from the important-looking guy at the next urinal during intermission: "I've handled Preston and Newley, and Jackman is bigger than both of them."

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2004, 11:39:25 AM »

To all those Dear Readers who place value in Mother's Day:  Happy Mother's Day.

To all those who do not give a fig (or a raisin) about Mother's Day:  Have a nice day.

There.  That should cover everyone.

On a sad note, I see that Mr. Alan King has passed away.  To me, he was an icon of the Borscht Belt circuit and a certain era in our history.  (That is, the New York Jewish 1960's era.)
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2004, 11:42:44 AM »

And what play was it, Dear Reader Panni, that you saw last evening?

As for my concert last night, Mr. Liszt was indisposed and his "Les Preludes" was withdrawn from the program.  Mr. Bartok's "Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste" did little to soothe me, though Mr. Dvorak's Seventh Symphony did succeed in that vein.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2004, 11:50:21 AM »

I thought that Terrence and Philip did that movie, CHERRIES OF FIRE.  Didn't they have that song, "Shut Your ****ing Face Uncle ****er?"
No, that was Assets of Fire, where Terrance and Philip took on Wall Street.  It co-starred Charlie Sheen, Martin Sheen, and Michael Douglas as the evil insurance salesman.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2004, 12:01:29 PM »

A question came up during the conversation der Brucer and I had with the composer (see yesterday's notes).  Gian Carlo Menotti's works were mentioned, and der Brucer and I had to admit not being familiar with them (although we are familiar with some of Samuel Barber's works).

The question is, which of Menotti's works would our fellow DRs suggest as a starting point for exploring his compositions?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2004, 12:05:00 PM »

Life is Just a Bowl of Chariots!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2004, 12:08:56 PM »

From the NY Times

After performing for the British Royal Family, the story goes, Alan King was introduced to Queen Elizabeth.

"How do you do, Mr. King?" she is reported to have said.

"How do you do, Mrs. Queen?" he is said to have replied.

Danise

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2004, 12:18:37 PM »

The plan was I was going to sit around like so much fish today.  Then why am I not sitting?  I have supper cooking, I have cleaned house and I have yet to pack for the Utah trip.

I just can't seem to get to it. You would think it would a highlight but it's more of a chore than I would have thought.  I got the suit bag backed but the suit case is giving me trouble--what to take???  Even though I've been planning for weeks/months!  I don't think the suitcase is big enough for everything and this was the "small" trip.  Sigh.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jay

« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2004, 12:21:17 PM »

A question came up during the conversation der Brucer and I had with the composer (see yesterday's notes).  Gian Carlo Menotti's works were mentioned, and der Brucer and I had to admit not being familiar with them (although we are familiar with some of Samuel Barber's works).

The question is, which of Menotti's works would our fellow DRs suggest as a starting point for exploring his compositions?

Menotti's best known works include Amahl and the Night Visitors, The Medium, The Consul and The Saint of Bleecker Street.

By the way (BTW in internet lingo), what is the name of your newly befriended composer?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2004, 12:28:32 PM »

Menotti's best known works include Amahl and the Night Visitors, The Medium, The Consul and The Saint of Bleecker Street.
Thank-you!
By the way (BTW in internet lingo), what is the name of your newly befriended composer?
Last name is Silveirae.  He hasn't had anything recorded, as yet, but has had a few commissions.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up