Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MOTHER'S DAY  (Read 84863 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:MOTHER'S DAY
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2004, 12:34:36 PM »

Looking over tonight's television listings, it seems they're going all out to celebrate Mother's Day.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is being shown on ABC, the tale of a kid whos parents were both murdered.

Over on NBC, they're giving us an episode of Crossing Jordan, the tale of a young woman whos mother was murdered.

Over at The Simpsons (Fox), single childless citizens organize against kids and families.

But all is not lost, because on Biography (A&E) they're telling the tales of famous mothers and daughters, such as Joan and Melissa Rivers.

Eeeewwww!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2004, 12:37:06 PM »

And a Page Three Dance for Mahler's Mother!
[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
:D :o :D :o :D :o :D
[/move][move=down,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
:o :D :o :D :o :D :o
[/move]
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 12:38:16 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2004, 12:38:51 PM »

And what play was it, Dear Reader Panni, that you saw last evening?

I saw THE DRAWER BOY. I believe you also saw it, DR Jay. Liked it enormously. And it was a VERY strange feeling watching it, as the character of Miles is based on Miles Potter, an actor with whom I worked at the Theatre Passe Muraille (the very theatre for which - in the play and in reality - he was doing his farm research). I played Miles' sweetheart in Lope de Vega's DOG IN THE MANGER. A rather bizarre production in which we all wore heavily stylized costumes and wigs. I had a bright yellow outift, quite clingy, slit practically to the thigs; a very curly yellow-blonde wig and ballet shoes, as there was much Commedia style running about. The Theatre Passe Muraille was right downtown in TO in a rather marginal neigborhood. We walked in one night an hour before the performance and all the cotumes, make-up and wigs had been stolen! We had to go on, however, as it was to be a good house that night and the company could certainly not afford to refund the tickets. So we had to do the performance in our own clothes, sans wigs and make-up. Eeeek. Nothing to hide behind! It was like being up there naked.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 12:40:10 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2004, 12:46:25 PM »

BTW - Why is it "Mother's" Day and not "Mothers' " Day? And who is this one particular mother whose day we're celebrating? I mean, for all I know it's Nancy Reagan or Imelda Marcos. I need more information before I can commit to this holiday.

Jed

« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2004, 12:53:03 PM »

Oh - and for those of you who really like Mother's Day and are enjoying a beautiful day today - let me quote my patron saint, Rosanne Rosannadanna..."Never mind."

Let us not mix up our Gilda Radner characters!  "Never mind" is Emily Litella. :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2004, 12:55:15 PM »

The question is, which of Menotti's works would our fellow DRs suggest as a starting point for exploring his compositions?

My favorite Menotti is The Old Maid and the Thief.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2004, 12:56:22 PM »

Big Mother, that's who.

Yes, they will feel the Wrath and the Grapes of the Kahns and the Cohens and they will RUE the day they were errant and truant.  When they make their pithy comments we shall just laugh and laugh whilst bitch-slapping them from here to eternity and hell and back.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2004, 12:57:14 PM »

I want to wear a costume cut practically to the thigs.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jed

« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2004, 12:57:24 PM »

And yes, Jed, Don Bluth and his brother Fred (now Toby) are in the book, fictionalized, with different names (same initials).

Knowing your initials rule, I knew which character it was as soon as you mentioned it, just hadn't realized who that D.B. was.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2004, 12:58:18 PM »

Hello, fellow dear readers. And Happy Mother's Day, fellow dear reader mothers.

I went to church, then the cemetery. I haven't seen my own kids yet today, so it's been a pretty quiet day for me so far.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jed

« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2004, 01:01:20 PM »

DR Jose - So do you have the same thought I do every night when Father yells, "Cain!!!!!" leading into "Mark of Cain?"  Inevitably makes me think of William Shatner shouting, "Khan!!!!!!" :D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2004, 01:04:17 PM »

For those who've read Kritzer Time read on.  For those who haven't - STOP HERE and move right along.

The theater at which Benjamin does shows in Culver City, the Beach Brothers Theater, was, in fact, really called the Bluth Brothers Theater and was run by Fred and Don.  Fred directed the shows (and was sometimes in them) and Don played the piano.  I had no idea who he was or what his "day" job was until we were doing High Spirits.  One day I showed up and there was this incredible breathtaking drop of London at night.  I asked him where he'd gotten it.  He told me he'd "borrowed" it from Disney, where he'd painted it for Mary Poppins.  Haven't talked to Don in years (he's a very sweet man - he called me after my first Partridge Family aired to say how much he liked it - then I saw him at some sci-fi convention right after I'd shot Creature Wasn't Nice).  But I have seen and talked to Fred (now Toby) quite recently and am giving him the books.

Panni

« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2004, 01:08:50 PM »

Let us not mix up our Gilda Radner characters!  "Never mind" is Emily Litella. :D

I HANG MY ADDLED HEAD IN SHAME. I guess all these violins on television are getting to me. :P

Panni

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2004, 01:10:23 PM »

I want to wear a costume cut practically to the thigs.

If I still had mine, I'd send it to you.

Jed

« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2004, 01:24:26 PM »

Must be off... headed down to Ellensburg to take my mother to dinner and such.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2004, 01:28:52 PM »

I got my mom new shoes for Mother's Day, and she also requested that I sing her something, so later, I am going to sing "Not While I'm Around" to her.  Completely decontextualized, of course, hehe.

From yesterday--

Jose wrote--"DR Maya - That "Dear Writer" song is truly one perplexing piece of music, and I've always wondered how exactly it was supposed to fit in the show - at least in the theme of show.  I guess as comic relief.  That being said...  I know most of that cast as friends, and I saw the show a few weeks ago.  Some very touching moments... and some truly heart-breaking moments.  I've always loved Sherri Edelen, and her rendition of "Anytime" had me sobbing when I saw it.  -And, actually, when Mr. Finn came to see the show, he apparently was crazy about her."

Sherri Edelen was terrific, and I thought her belt was just about as good as Carolee Carmello's!  Very moving performance(s).  I also thought Donna Migliaccio was just awesome, especially when she sang "Only One," and "Infinite Joy."  I got to say hi to her after the show (I know her from Sondheim.com), and she's such a nice woman too!

I don't have any reincarnation stories, but I DO believe in it 100%!  

Jed--congrats on a successful "Children of Eden" run!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2004, 01:35:30 PM »

BTW - Why is it "Mother's" Day and not "Mothers' " Day? And who is this one particular mother whose day we're celebrating? I mean, for all I know it's Nancy Reagan or Imelda Marcos. I need more information before I can commit to this holiday.
Medea.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2004, 01:41:47 PM »

I got my mom new shoes for Mother's Day, and she also requested that I sing her something, so later, I am going to sing "Not While I'm Around" to her.  Completely decontextualized, of course, hehe.
Or you could go on a Kander and Ebb kick, and sing to each other a song from Cabaret ("Don't Tell Mamma") and Chicago ("When You're Good to Mama").

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2004, 01:53:40 PM »

Or how about:

"Mama Will Provide," (Once on This Island)
"Momma, Look Sharp," (1776)
"Mamma Mia!" (Mamma Mia!)
"Mama I'm a Big Girl Now," (Hairspray)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2004, 01:57:43 PM »

Oops!  I forgot...

"Mother's Gonna Make Things Fine," (A New Brain)

Terribly spoo of me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2004, 01:59:00 PM »

[quote author=William E. Lurie link=board=4;threadid=266;start=msg42749#msg42749 date=1084126739

This was fully staged and the set was based on the Robert Randolph "Telephone Hour" jungle gym.  The orchestra was excellent, and the original orchestrations were used rather than the watered down ones that are included with the rental material for groups doing this show.

The ads for ONCE UPON A MATTRESS gave no indication that this was a cut-down version done as an end-of-the-year class project for a drama school.  Yet the whole production was only 75 minutes long, three songs were totally missing and most other songs were cut in half.  However the original book was used instead of the awful rewritten version for the Broadway revisal, and it holds up very well, even in a less than ideal production.

DR WEL, two things:  I believe that Tams-Witmark no longer uses the "watered down" Phil Lang arrangement, and their restoration of around 6 yeras ago now is back to Ginzler.

Secondly, is this MATTRESS by the group that's been advertising the composer as Mary Rogers, not Rodgers, in various media around Manhattan for the past month or so?  There's a warning right there if they can't even get the composer's name right in the publicity.  Glad you enjoyed both, though.  I loved the Encores! production, and usually I don't.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2004, 01:59:16 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]POSTING[/size][/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]FRENZY![/size][/move]

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2004, 02:00:50 PM »

A question came up during the conversation der Brucer and I had with the composer (see yesterday's notes).  Gian Carlo Menotti's works were mentioned, and der Brucer and I had to admit not being familiar with them (although we are familiar with some of Samuel Barber's works).

The question is, which of Menotti's works would our fellow DRs suggest as a starting point for exploring his compositions?

AMAHL AND THE NIGHT VISITORS
THE TELEPHONE  & THE MEDIUM, which played Broadway as a bill of one-acts; the film of THE MEDIUM is quite interesting as well.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2004, 02:04:29 PM »

My favorite Menotti is The Old Maid and the Thief.

DR Jed, how could I fdrget that one?  "Steal me, Sweet Thief" is one of my favorite Menotti selections.  Maybe it's because the only extant recording has not made it to CD yet, and I never play my cassettes any more.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2004, 02:09:27 PM »

Or how about:

"Mama Will Provide," (Once on This Island)
"Momma, Look Sharp," (1776)
"Mamma Mia!" (Mamma Mia!)
"Mama I'm a Big Girl Now," (Hairspray)

"Mama"s Talkin' Soft"
"Mammy"
"Momma, a Rainbow"
And in some households, "When Mama Gets Married"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2004, 02:15:56 PM »

Thanks for the thought, DR PANNI!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2004, 02:28:48 PM »

Elmore - Yes it's that MATTRESS production.  The type in the ads is so small I didn't notice but the program spells it correctly.  I thought MATTRESS was controlled by MTI (it was originally), but the program credits R&H.  When did they take over the rights?

According to both a Playbill® article and the Saturday talkback, the Ginsler orchestrations were stored away in a box at Tams-Witmark and had to be partially restored.  Yet I somehow believe Elmore more than Rob Fisher.

Alan King was Judy's opening act for years and also did "A Couple of Swells" with her in concert.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 02:29:43 PM by William E. Lurie »
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2004, 02:33:36 PM »

It's Mother's Day I'M talkin' about.

They will feel the Rath of Bacon I tell you.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2004, 02:36:45 PM »

So, when is chat?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2004, 02:44:07 PM »

According to both a Playbill® article and the Saturday talkback, the Ginsler orchestrations were stored away in a box at Tams-Witmark and had to be partially restored.  Yet I somehow believe Elmore more than Rob Fisher.

DR WEL, thank you for the benefit of the doubt!  It's my memory that when the tv movie with Jason Alexander occurred, that the original scores were dragged out of storage and a new edition of BIRDIE was prepared.  I was asked to score two or three of the songs written for the tv production to go into an Appendix of the new edition.  So, I have dinner on Tuesday night with the Tams librarians, and I'll ask what's the story, morning glory?

I'm sure there were some key changes for Encores! but I can't state how many or how much other "adaptation" was done.  They used the Overture assembled for the recording, since the original Overture and Entr'acte were played under film projections, and it's my memory that the "English Teacher" song never ends, as it does on the recording, but runs straight into "The Telephone Hour."

Beyond that, I don't know.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up