Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: MOTHER'S DAY  (Read 84872 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:MOTHER'S DAY
« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2004, 09:14:50 PM »

DR Jose - So do you have the same thought I do every night when Father yells, "Cain!!!!!" leading into "Mark of Cain?"  Inevitably makes me think of William Shatner shouting, "Khan!!!!!!" :D

DR Jed - NOW I will!  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2004, 09:19:58 PM »

Well, THAT'S good to hear!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #152 on: May 09, 2004, 09:21:38 PM »

I can hear it now...

"You didn't put the toilet seat down!"

"What dang toilet seat?"

Frankly, I've never understood why women can't be responsible enough to put the seat down for themselves, but that's a guy attitude.  It's kinda like we're supposed to open doors for them without it being demeaning in some way.  You can't win for trying.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2004, 09:29:42 PM »

I can hear it now...

"You didn't put the toilet seat down!"

"What dang toilet seat?"

Frankly, I've never understood why women can't be responsible enough to put the seat down for themselves, but that's a guy attitude.  It's kinda like we're supposed to open doors for them without it being demeaning in some way.  You can't win for trying.

If everyone sat down to pee it wouldn't be an issue.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #154 on: May 09, 2004, 09:34:15 PM »

ROBIN did you know all the steps?

MR BK I don't know the movie quote....although when you give us the answer, I am sure I will.

It does sound like something Cary Grant would say.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #155 on: May 09, 2004, 10:15:44 PM »

Right star, although he didn't speak the line.  North by Northwest.

Grant: What is this, a joke?
Thug (Robert Ellenstein): Yes, a joke.  We will laugh in the car.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #156 on: May 09, 2004, 10:24:09 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, I got my buttcheeks in gear after posting here this morning, and I managed to clean the apartment, wash the dishes, take a shower, find my paycheck (Boy, was that a MAJOR panic moment!!!!), throw away the trash, sort my laundry (which I will do on Tuesday when I get back), packed my bags for Richmond, etc., etc., etc... And I was able to catch the 1:35 Orange Line train, and made it to the theatre before the 1/2 hour call.  -Well, the musician's union doesn't require a 1/2 call - just that you're there by the downbeat - but I don't feel comfortable getting to the theatre "late".

We had a good matinee today, and there were some darn cute kids in the audience today too.  All the young women dressed in their Sunday best, and the young men dressed in their nice shirts and ties.  There was a three or four year old boy in the first row of the balcony who got noticed by everyone in the show - he, apparently, was smiling and attentive the whole show.

After the matinee, I headed back to the apartment, got my car packed up, and headed out to my parents' house to wish my Mom a very happy Mother's Day.  Well, since they were about to head out dinner - since my mother worked today - I went ahead and joined them.  We went to one of those buffet places which actually has some quite good food.  The line looked ridiculously long to get in when we got there, but it turned out only to be a 15 minute wait to get seated... and since it was buffet, there was no wait time to get our food.

It was fun watching my niece and nephew eat and actually feed each other at times.  And my almost two-year-old niece has some pretty good table manners when she puts her mind to it.  *At least she didn't break out screaming and crying this time when I tried to pick her up...  instead, she hit me!  What gives?!?!?!  *Apparently, hitting people is her new "thing" - hopefully, my brother and his wife will remedy that "thing" soon.

After dinner, I got in my car and headed back to Richmond.  A beautiful night for a drive!  And, thankfully, all the traffic was going northbound - I kept hearing about the traffic, but not until I saw that it was actually solid for about 40-50 miles(!) did I believe it.  -Must have been all the college graduations, I guess.

I stopped by Steve's on the way back, and we watched QAF - thankfully, it looks like after tonight's show, there will be no more atrocious dubbing of Ted's operatic singing "voice" - accompanied by those VERY synthy accompaniments.  Then after QAF it was back to my place - with a stop at 7-11 for some "snackage".  And now I'm here posting on HHW...

As for the Mother's Day story I hinted at earlier, well.. it's kind of slipped my mind... Well, actually, for me to tell it would require some "organization" time on my part.. if you thought I rambled now... However, I will share that Mother's Day - and Father's Day - used to be a major source of stress for our family.  How you may ask?  Well... My Mom does not believe in reservations.  She just always assumes that a restaurant will be able to seat a family of 6 (or sometimes 9) in just a few minutes after arriving... on Mother's Day!?!?!?!  For Brunch!?!?!?!!?  Well... There was one time when my Mom was just so set on having brunch... and after waiting for an hour and a half... and even after my Dad had taken one of my brother's cars back home...  Needless to say, it was quite the tense afternoon...  Finally, my Dad got smart - he would start cooking a leg of lamb in the oven in the morning... This way we all knew where we were going to eat after church!  ;D

OK - I'm starting to fade, and I still have to check on a few things before turning in...  But I shall check back before I turn in.... laters...

OH - R&H secured the rights to any and all Rodgers (Richard or Mary) properties a few years ago (Rodgers & Hammerstein and Rodgers & Hart included).  They also now handle all the Andrew Lloyd Webber shows - some used to be with Tams and/or MTI.  Kind of a "completist" strategy I guess.  *Of course, when they took over Evita, they just recopied the old parts instead of doing new ones.... well, new corrected ones.  Ah, well...  Some day.  *And MTI now handles all of Stephen Schwartz's works - Godspell used to be with a different company.  However, MTI did Finale-ize the Godspell P/V score - unfortunately, they also Finale-ized the mistakes in the previous published scores plus adding a few more of their own.  Ah, well...

OK, I digressed....

Ciao for niao...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #157 on: May 09, 2004, 10:24:33 PM »

If everyone sat down to pee it wouldn't be an issue.
It's female chauvanism, is what it is!

Ever been in a house where they've got a device installed, where you have to HOLD the seat up to pee standing up, or the damn thing falls down?

Ever tried dealing with that sort of bull when you're over six feet tall, and bending over to hold the damn seat up while peeing puts that much more pressure on your bladder, so that peeing hurts?

It's women, who aren't considerate enough to realize what they're doing to other people, that's the problem!  If they want the toilet seat down when they want to pee, they can put it down for themselves!  Blaming men for what they want is bullshit!

Sincerely, S. Woody, who is damn glad that he's living in a house where the only female in residence is glad to go outside and squat when she wants to pee!  (Good Bonnie, good girl!)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 10:25:12 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #158 on: May 09, 2004, 10:32:42 PM »

It should be an interesting week of television this time around.  Not only do we have a Dick Van Dyke reunion on Tuesday, and a Carol Burnett special on Wednesday, but there is also the telefilm version of Madeline L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time tomorrow.  I'm hoping this turns out well, since L'Engle never doubted the intelligence of her reading audience.

But did L'Engle herself write the screenplay?  There are examples of good books being made into bad movies.  I can't think of one off the top of my head, but I know that there are some. ::)  I've never read the book, but friends of mine have said that it's very good.  For their sake, I hope it's a good movie.

Anyway, for Mother's Day (or Mothers' Day), my sister got (from her daughter and boyfriend) a porch swing!  She has an actual porch in her new house and now she has a swing to swing on on her porch!  Isn't that splendiferous?  Isn't that just too too?

My mom loves any kind of gardening stuff.  My sister and I bought her a bird bath for Mother's Day.  She had a one that broke several months ago.  The one we got is a little more sturdy, it's a terra cotta-like material with lovely purple glaze.  Very nice and fits in beautifully with my mom's garden.  She's very happy with it.  A good weekend for celebrating was had by all. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #159 on: May 09, 2004, 10:40:12 PM »

Ahh...I thought it was Grant related.   Of course.....

DRJOSE I am with you....hopefully Ted won't have to "sing" again.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #160 on: May 09, 2004, 10:43:12 PM »

Alas... I need to make sure I'm well rested for my last (it better be!!!) follow-up doctor's appointment in the morning.... So...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #161 on: May 09, 2004, 10:48:19 PM »

It should be an interesting week of television this time around.  Not only do we have a Dick Van Dyke reunion on Tuesday, and a Carol Burnett special on Wednesday, but there is also the telefilm version of Madeline L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time tomorrow.  I'm hoping this turns out well, since L'Engle never doubted the intelligence of her reading audience.

Woody, your observation was similar to what my dad said when we went to see "Fantasia 2000."  We saw it in Seattle in the Imax theater (not important to the story, but it was pretty darned cool) and he commented that every scene (unlike the original) was introduced...that every scene had to have an explanation.  He said that Walt Disney (especially in regards to the original Fantasia) "assumed the intelligence of the audience."  He feels that no one does that anymore.  I think he's right.

Except for places like HHW, of course! ;D

Good night, all!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 10:51:09 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #162 on: May 09, 2004, 10:50:13 PM »

As well as being a terrific comedian, Alan King, from everything I've heard (he was one of my agent's oldest clients) was a good guy. Rare in this business.
So, in his honor, two of his old jokes:

A short summary of every Jewish holiday: "They tried to kill us. We won. Let's eat."

And...

What's the difference between a Rottweiler and a Jewish mother? ...Eventually the Rottweiler lets go.

I'm tired. Going to bed. 'Night, all.

George

« Reply #163 on: May 09, 2004, 10:58:01 PM »

Okay, one last "Mother" thing, then I'm going to bed.  A friend of mine in college taught me this tongue-twister.  I've heard another version, but this is what I learned:

I am a mother pheasant plucker.
I am the most pleasant mother pheasant plucker,
Ever to pluck a mother pheasant.

Of course, when one is learning it, one (me) has (had) a tendency to start out with "I am a pleasant mother f...." :o Oops!  (Spoo spelled backwards.)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 10:59:16 PM by George »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: May 09, 2004, 11:00:19 PM »

Tired?  What did you DO that you're so tired?  I actually fell asleep about ten times today.  Still slightly recouping from the stomach probs of yesterday.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #165 on: May 09, 2004, 11:24:49 PM »

DRDANISE - Michael Ball is a favorite of mine as well.   ;D

Many years ago - I bought this 45 RPM record.

What's a 45 RPM record?

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #166 on: May 09, 2004, 11:37:28 PM »

Ha ha.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #167 on: May 09, 2004, 11:37:51 PM »

But did L'Engle herself write the screenplay?  There are examples of good books being made into bad movies.  I can't think of one off the top of my head, but I know that there are some. ::)  I've never read the book, but friends of mine have said that it's very good.  For their sake, I hope it's a good movie.
From what I've read, the producer has been working with L'Engle for years, trying to bring this project to the screen, and they are still very good friends.  This either bodes well for the film, or L'Engle has totally sold out.  Given that A Wrinkle in Time was just the first in a series of books, all of which matched her initial vision while taking the ideas in new directions, selling out doesn't seem likely.  She's a good writer, worth seeking out.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #168 on: May 09, 2004, 11:42:10 PM »

Woody, your observation was similar to what my dad said when we went to see "Fantasia 2000."  We saw it in Seattle in the Imax theater (not important to the story, but it was pretty darned cool) and he commented that every scene (unlike the original) was introduced...that every scene had to have an explanation.  He said that Walt Disney (especially in regards to the original Fantasia) "assumed the intelligence of the audience."  He feels that no one does that anymore.  I think he's right.

Except for places like HHW, of course! ;D

Good night, all!
Uh, yes and no.  The original Fantasia used Deems Taylor to introduce each piece, and explain to the audience what they were about to see.  A number of people seem to forget Mr. Taylor.

Modified for the strike-out.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 11:43:16 PM by S. Woody White »

Tomovoz

« Reply #169 on: May 09, 2004, 11:50:05 PM »

What's a 45 RPM record?

No doubt you haven't forgotten the 10" and 12" - just the 7".  Selective memory TCB.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up