Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: PORTLAND STORIES  (Read 16324 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PORTLAND STORIES
« on: November 13, 2010, 12:12:54 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were live from Portland and had stories, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently having electrolysis and will be home soon thereafter.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: PORTLAND STORIES
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 12:13:46 AM »

And the word of the day is: ALCHEMICAL!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 12:16:54 AM »

And now, as promised, the new Kritzerland release, which I'm posting here a day earlier than usual to give everyone a good head start on it.  You know the routine - it's 19.98 plus 3.75 shipping (23.73) via paypal to kritzerland at adelphia dot net. 

IF YOU’VE GOT A TASTE FOR TERROR… TAKE CARRIE TO THE PROM

Kritzerland is proud to present a very special and historic 2 CD limited edition soundtrack release – for the first time ever, the complete score to:

Carrie
Music Composed and Conducted by Pino Donaggio

In 1976, director Brian De Palma had already established a reputation as a cult director of such films as Greetings, Hi, Mom, and more importantly, Sisters, Phantom of the Paradise, and Obsession.   But it was his film of Stephen King’s classic, best-selling first novel, Carrie, that would catapult him into major director status.  Many directors have tackled Stephen King, including King himself, all to varying degrees of success, but Carrie is the film that leads the pack. 

De Palma got everything right – the casting (an amazing group of actors, including Sissy Spacek, Piper Laurie, Amy Irving, William Katt, John Travolta, Nancy Allen, P.J. Soles, and Betty Buckley), the adaptation by Lawrence D. Cohen, the art direction (Jack Fisk and Bill Kenney), camerawork (Mario Tosi), editing (Paul Hirsch) – everything just came together magically and perfectly.  The film works so well because there is not only great horror (as to be expected), but also a large helping of emotion and pathos (thanks to Sissy Spacek’s affecting and brilliant performance as Carrie).  There is a depth to the characterizations that elevate the film way beyond a simple scary movie.  The film also has a sly sense of humor and it’s just fun in a way horror films seldom are – thrills, chills, laughs, and one of the most amazing jump-out-of-your seat scares in the history of cinema.

Horror films are rarely nominated for Academy Awards, but Carrie was one of the exceptions with Sissy Spacek getting a Best Actress nod and Piper Laurie getting one for Best Supporting Actress.   Over the years, the film has never lost on iota of its popularity, thanks to numerous releases on every home video format, most recently on blu-ray. 

Of all the decisions De Palma made, one of the most important was choosing Pino Donaggio as composer.  De Palma had used Bernard Herrmann on two of his films – Sisters and Obsession, but Herrmann had passed away in 1975.  In 1976, Donaggio only had one major film to his credit, but his score to that film was masterful – Nicholas Roeg’s Don’t Look Now.  However De Palma came to choose Donaggio, it was a perfect marriage of composer and film.  Donaggio’s score hits all the right notes – he brings out every emotion and all the subtext, with great suspense and horror music, plaintive and yearning music for the character of Carrie, two songs for the prom sequence (with lyrics by Merritt Malloy) that help make that sequence so magical and memorable, and light and infectious music for the calisthenics sequence and the scene at the tux shop.  It is, in fact, a perfect score, a masterpiece of film scoring, with unforgettable themes that capture every nuance of the film.

United Artists released the soundtrack album on LP.  It was an odd presentation in that almost all of the music was from the film’s second half, save for the main title sequence (which was repeated verbatim at the end of the album).  The album ran thirty-five minutes.  That LP was released twice on CD – first by Ryko (with dialogue snippets included to pad out the running time), and then by Varese Sarabande (with the dialogue snippets gone).  Ryko used the album master, and the Varese was a clone of the Ryko release (the pop songs used in the film were not available to them or to us).

For this very special release, we are pleased to say that our detective work paid off in spades – we found 13 reels of the original four-track session masters and they included the entire score, about twenty-five minutes of never-before-released score cues.  Since both film and score are iconic, it was the greatest kind of discovery we could have made.  This is a completely different mix than the original album, as groups of instruments were put on separate tracks to give the film mixers options for balance.  We’ve created a stereo mix from the four tracks, and the fidelity on the tapes was really incredible.

So, it is with great pleasure that we offer for the first time the complete score to Carrie in film order. We also found two instrumentals of the songs, which we’ve included as bonus tracks.  Additionally, on CD 2 we offer the original album sequence and mix, newly remastered for this release.

This release is limited to 1200 copies only.  The price of this special 2 CD set is our usual one CD price – $19.98, plus shipping.   Additionally, we are offering a special deal with the purchase of this release.  Go to the item page and click on the link to find out about it.

CD will ship the third week of December – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 12:29:04 AM »

CARRIE has been purchased!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 12:45:08 AM »

What DR George said :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 12:54:51 AM »

A friend of mine posted this joke on Facebook and I just had to share:

A tomato family is walking down the road, baby tomato falls behind, daddy tomato goes back smacks her on the head and says "Ketchup!"

:D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 04:54:44 AM »

Carrie is ordered.

Lovely photos from the do last night, and hopefully we will see photos from the gathering this evening.

Apologies to DR JOHNG for not reading closely enough.....the photos were indeed lovely.....just like the ones DR LAURA takes....whew!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 04:55:26 AM »

Working today.  Oh well.

The Nightmare on Elm Street movies scared me.......but I guess Psycho is the one of the scariest movies EVER!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 05:00:13 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  Today is DR Richard's birthday, so we're going to The Meadows for dinner.  Tomorrow we're taking Central Pastry orange chiffon cake for after-church coffee hour.

Lovely pictures of last night's gathering in Portland - I'm so glad DR Jane is there and DR George and the others.  Have fun, y'all!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 05:03:48 AM »

Break a leg vibes for BK for tonight's event!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 05:37:52 AM »

I had a publicity client in CARRIE: Sydney Lassick.

He was also in ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 05:39:42 AM »

TOD:

THE EXORCIST
THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE
THE OTHERS
THE SIXTH SENSE

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 05:41:47 AM »

I am sooo tired this morning and, in an hour, I'll be going back to Comic Con.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 05:42:08 AM »

The Haunting (original)
The Legend of Hell House

Both excellent examples of how to scare you with out explicit violence. Atmopshere (Photography, editing and sound) and great performances.

and of course
The Exorcist
Never stop dreaming.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 06:16:08 AM »

Morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 06:17:14 AM »

Watching "The Harder They Fall" this morning. It's a litle too early for a movie this good, but the subject matter is so depressing that I wanted to not watch it at the end of the day. The reggae music is great, however.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 06:24:05 AM »

TOD:
The Innocents
The Shining
Psycho

― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 06:24:57 AM »

Watching "The Harder They Fall" this morning. It's a litle too early for a movie this good, but the subject matter is so depressing that I wanted to not watch it at the end of the day. The reggae music is great, however.

I thought you were talking about Bogart's last movie, which I love.

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 06:30:21 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Ginny's husband Richard!

Great pics from Portland! Sounds like fun.

Jennifer

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 06:31:47 AM »

I am having the strangest problem with gmail.  I received an email that had a message and pictures in it (the pictures appear in the email on top). When i forward the message I do not see the pictures. I have tried forwarding it and replying. Very bizarre.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2010, 06:42:03 AM »

Good morning, al! I slept late, until around 8:15, and I am showered, dressed and ready for my second cup of coffee. At 2 I have a meeting about this Appalachian Christmas project, so I'll spend the morning typing lyrics to Victor Herbert songs for the recording's print work.

Beyond that, I have next to no plans. When I return from the meeting, I may watch a DVD, perhaps LET THE RIGHT ONE IN, since the topic is scary movies today.

Last night's gathering looks like fun. I was surprised, though, there were no ham chunks next to the pineapple in one of the photos.

CARRIE ordered.

TOD:
   PSYCHO
   LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH
   THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT
   THE WOMAN IN BLACK

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2010, 07:25:10 AM »

Thanks for sharing the photos of last night. Looks like a great time.  Nice to see the smiles.

Cillaliz

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2010, 07:25:56 AM »

Happy Birthday to Ha-Ha-Ha- Richard

Cillaliz

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 07:28:18 AM »

We had no snow in Sioux City last night, but very close to here they are reporting 10 inches on the ground.  My dad sent me this photo from their house

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2010, 07:42:36 AM »

And the word of the day is: ALCHEMICAL!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  THIS IS THE MOMENT

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2010, 08:17:04 AM »

Loverly pictures from the gathering last night!  VIBES for a successful Rave in the Nave tonight
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2010, 08:17:46 AM »

Comic Con Vibes for Druxy!

vixmom

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2010, 08:18:56 AM »

Congratulations to Elmore on losing  his neighbor! Did you offer to help him pack?  It's the neighborly thing to do!

vixmom

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2010, 08:19:59 AM »

(and once he is out convince your landlord to install carpeting with THICK padding underneath!)

vixmom

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2010, 08:23:53 AM »

(((TCB))))

I hope you are feeling better today

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up