Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: AIN'T WE GOT FUN?  (Read 126486 times)

Jennifer

Re:AIN'T WE GOT FUN?
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2004, 11:55:19 AM »

Page Three Dance!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2004, 11:56:42 AM »

(An unofficial) ASK BK QUESTION:

I knew that Elaine Stritch and Anthony Hopkins were good friends, but what was Megan Mullalley doing on the panel last night?

An Official ASK BK QUESTION:

George Chakiris can be seen as a dancer in several big Hollywood movies (i.e. WHITE CHRISTMAS) prior to winning an Oscar for WEST SIDE STORY; and yesterday you mentioned Donna McKechnie as a dancer in BILLIE; can you think of others who started their careers as dancers in film and then managed to build a career of their own?

Miss Mullalley and Miss Stritch worked together on a TV series, The Ellen Burstyn Show.

Gwen Verdon (as someone has pointed out), Teri Garr.  I'm sure there are others.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2004, 11:59:50 AM »

Good Afternoon!

I slept in again - sort of - this morning... and then had a follow up with my uncle/doctor at 11:30, so.... All is still well!

Then I stopped in at Target... -How come everytime I go into Target I always end up spending at least $100?!?!?!  -And I even found some great stuff on clearance!!!  -My favorite find was a set of four(!) sturdy, lidded storage bins for only $1.49!!  I bought two sets!!!  I always make sure to check those endcaps for the Clearance items!  Oh, and I also picked up the DVD of the final episode of "Friends" just because (and I haven't seen it yet anyway, so...), and a copy of "In America".

Oh... I guess that leads to a question for Ask BK Day:

Is there a particular store where you KNOW you will always spend a good chunk of change (and dollar bills)?

Is there a particular store where you DON'T think you'll spend that much money, but end up getting surprised once you're at the cash register?

And is there a store that you AVOID going into because the "temptation(s)" will be too hard to resist?

Oh, and might as well complete the thread, is there a store (or type of store) where you know you will NEVER spend any money?

Then it was over to the Food Factory for a reshmi kabob - ground chicken with spices.  Soooo good - and their tandoori bread, as always, was dee-lish too!

Driving around, I started noticing all the cicada "precautions" - trees wrapped in muslin(?), etc.  They're starting to come out of the ground now - after 17 years of gestation - and we're supposedly going to get slammed sometime in the next few days.  I was in the area the last time the cicadas appeared, but I don't really remember them being a nuisance.  The local news media, however, is making quite the big deal of the whole situation.  And there are local "gourmets" who are coming up with various "cicada treats" - and I think there's even a cookbook.  Hmm.. I don't care how much protein they supposedly have, but I think I'll pass.

DR Tomovoz - So nice to see that painting again!  -Unfortunately, I just found out that I may not be heading back to OZ this fall.  However, I am thinking I may be heading back on my own... So... We shall see.

DR Noel - Congratulations on your lazy success! ;)  *If you plan to get your recorder back from your student - it may pay to invest in a bottle of Sani-Spray - or at least a cleaning cloth and rod and/or a couple of alcholol swabs.  *The last time I did Godspell, we found a recorder in the key of "A" - made everything sooo much easier for the performer.

OK - time to tend to the laundry...

Oh, and DR WEL - I know I could probably look them up elsewhere, but what are the last 4 Disney Treasure releases?  -This from someone who kicks himself every day for not buying the first four - even though he was in the store as they were putting them on display the day they were released?!?!?!?
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2004, 12:00:33 PM »

AskBK:
Some years ago, my old pals Marcy & Zina had it in their bio that a song of theirs was going to be on an upcoming album, Broadway Bound II.

I've said before that I love the first Broadway Bound.
So, here is what I'm aching to know: (a 70 Girls 70 reference)

Was there going to be a Broadway Bound II?
What happened to it?
What songs had been selected?
Which Marcy & Zina song(s) would be on it?
How can we get there to be a Broadway Bound II album, or III or IV?

I was starting to gather material for BBII when the Varese years came to a close.  I know I'd chosen a Marcy and Zina ballad (don't remember which) and maybe The Alto's Lament, which I ended up putting on Emily Skinner's album.  I never got back to it at FA, and then that ended.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2004, 12:01:09 PM »

Oh, and Ben Vereen can also be seen as a dancer in Sweet Charity.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2004, 12:03:43 PM »

BK - The intermission was NOT in the print shown at the Michael Todd in Chicago.  At least not at first.  I tend to think that this was a per-theatre decision.  Even though it was reserved seats at the Todd, there were three shows a day on weekdays and four on weekends so maybe they needed the extra time the intermission would have taken up for between shows.

Well, I wasn't in Chicago.  In every major market the roadshow played two a day, one matinee, one evening.  So, I'm surprised to hear the sched you quote - naturally if they were doing three or four a day they would have had to remove the intermission, no question.  I would understand that sched later in the run, but not at the beginning.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2004, 12:04:43 PM »

Sorry, S. Woody, didn't see your Ben Vereen post before I did my redundant post.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2004, 12:19:44 PM »

Sorry, S. Woody, didn't see your Ben Vereen post before I did my redundant post.
No appology necessary, you've simply confirmed that we're both geniuses.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2004, 12:24:52 PM »

BK, I heard on KSURF 1260...the Joey, Joey cut from your Liz Callaway/Frank Loesser album the other day.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2004, 12:26:58 PM »

One of my favorite tracks that we did.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2004, 12:32:56 PM »

A look back:
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2004, 12:34:50 PM »

(An unofficial) ASK BK QUESTION:

I knew that Elaine Stritch and Anthony Hopkins were good friends, but what was Megan Mullalley doing on the panel last night?

An Official ASK BK QUESTION:

George Chakiris can be seen as a dancer in several big Hollywood movies (i.e. WHITE CHRISTMAS) prior to winning an Oscar for WEST SIDE STORY; and yesterday you mentioned Donna McKechnie as a dancer in BILLIE; can you think of others who started their careers as dancers in film and then managed to build a career of their own?

Chakiris can also be seen in the "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend" number in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes"!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2004, 12:42:22 PM »

Chakiris can also be seen in the "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend" number in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes"!

That's right.  Thank you, Ron.  I knew I had seen him dance in another big musical number, and I could almost picture it, but all I could think of was the color red.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ben

« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2004, 12:45:26 PM »

Dracula, the Musical seems to have dates and a theatre for the new Broadway season. Miss Melissa Errico will be the poor Mina.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/86116.html
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 12:45:42 PM by Ben »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2004, 01:12:42 PM »

Jose ---
The four new Disney Legends out next week are
   Mickey Mouse in Black & White #2
   Donald Duck in Color #1
   Tomorrowland (space episodes from Disney's early tv series)
   Disney Goes to War (Shorts, cartoons and the rarely shown feature "Victory Through Air Power)

I don't remember which of the others were from the 4 released in 2001 or the 3 released in 2002, but the previous seven titles were
   Mickey Mouse in Black in White 1
   Mickey Mouse in Color 1
   Silly Symphonies
   Disneyland (early years of the theme parks)
   Davy Crockett - every episode
   Goofy
   and I can't think of the 7th but will let you know later
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2004, 01:23:32 PM »

I have done my few errands and am now back.  Ain't we got fun?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2004, 01:37:03 PM »

I see browsing.  Browsing doesn't cut the mustard.  Actually, nothing really cuts the mustard, nor the mayonnaise for that or any other matter.  We must have questions and answers, that's what we must have.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2004, 01:37:16 PM »

More hot pies, more hot pies.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2004, 01:37:27 PM »

And one for Mahler.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2004, 01:40:02 PM »

Charles Walters is Judy Garland's dance partner in the finale of PRESENTING LILY MARS.

BTW, George Chakiris can be glimpsed in lots of choruses in the mid-50s and not just in WHITE CHRISTMAS. He's in "Diamonds Are a Girls Best Friend" in GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES and you can spot him in the chorus of BRIGADOON at MGM, too. I've spotted him in the chorus of other movie musicals around that period, too, but the names escape me at the moment.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2004, 01:45:07 PM »

I watched A DAY AT THE RACES this afternoon, and both Charles Pogue and I were wrong about that Groucho punchline "If I were any closer, I'd be in back of you."

It's Esther Muir he says that to in A DAY AT THE RACES, not Thelma Tood in MONKEY BUSINESS, as CP claimed.

I erred by saying the line happened in a movie that Margaret Dumont wasn't in. Well, Groucho didn't say it to Dumont, but she is in A DAY AT THE RACES, of course.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2004, 01:49:47 PM »

Is there a particular store where you KNOW you will always spend a good chunk of change (and dollar bills)?

Is there a particular store where you DON'T think you'll spend that much money, but end up getting surprised once you're at the cash register?

And is there a store that you AVOID going into because the "temptation(s)" will be too hard to resist?

Oh, and might as well complete the thread, is there a store (or type of store) where you know you will NEVER spend any money?

<cough, cough>  ...Ahem... ;)

-I know, I buried my questions in my post....
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2004, 01:50:47 PM »

So who will be the bottom two on American Idol tonight?

I think Jasmine is an obvious guess.

But I cannot decide who the other gal will be.

My guess will be LaToya.

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2004, 01:52:17 PM »

Question (for anyone):  Are there any songs that make you cry?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2004, 01:58:47 PM »

Yes, the questions got buried.  Unfortunately there are way too many stores where I know I'll spend a good chunk of change.  My neighborhood used DVD store is one such place, although I do a lot of trading there, so rarely have to put out cash.

I really don't like Amoeba and I never want to spend money there, but occasionally I have because they are the only store in LA that really has any kind of multi-region section.

I avoid going into bookstores (of the rare kind) because I sometimes lose control and cannot be trusted to just be a looker.

I would never spend any money at a luggage store.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2004, 02:00:42 PM »

Been in printer hell the last hour and am a better person for having survived.
I'm now going to go out to forage for food and coffee beans.
BTW - They're shooting "According to Jim" - a show I've never seen - at the MM/Joe house up the street. Trucks parked all over the street. Apparently the producer lives there and they're using his pool for a location.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 02:03:05 PM by Panni »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2004, 02:04:55 PM »

Yes.  Any song sung by one of the contestants on American Idol.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2004, 02:07:53 PM »

Oh - and feel better, Jennifer. I always take loads of Vitamin C when I feel a cold coming on.

Lots of songs make me cry. Sometimes even happy ones. I'll think of a list after I've come back from getting lunch food.

Robin

« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2004, 02:20:53 PM »

"Children and Art" from Sunday in the Park with George.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

MBarnum

« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2004, 02:25:35 PM »

Abraham, Martin, and John always puts a lump in my throat.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up