Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: GALOSHES  (Read 41479 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re: GALOSHES
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2010, 07:03:38 AM »

TOD:

My first real job was working in the warehouse of a catalogue showroom store named Basco's (they later changed the name to Best.) I pretty much hated it.  My primary job was to fetch merchandise from the three storied warehouse and toss it on the conveyor belt, which wasn't so bad in itself. But it was summer and the warehouse was a living hell. Plus there was the constant flow of delivery trucks that had to be emptied. And one of the guys I worked with kept a radio going FULL BLAST on the disco radio station all day long.  I managed to stay throughout the summer but I refused to go back when they called me back at Christmas time.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2010, 07:14:53 AM »

TOD

The first real job (where I had a W-2) was during my high school summer vacation. 

I worked as a busboy at the Washington Athletic Club in Seattle.

The job lasted 1-month.  I was not cut out to be a busboy.

Shortly thereafter, I got hired by a pawnshop on 1st Ave. in Seattle.  It was a fun job.  It taught me a lot about people, and I continued to work it off/on part-time through my college years.
You can dream…or you can do.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2010, 07:16:04 AM »

And the word of the day is: FOOTLE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  SILLY PEOPLE

Put That In Your Sondheim Pipe And Smoke It

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2010, 07:18:40 AM »

GALOSHES ARE CHEWY AND NOT VERY TASTY

HOWEVER- GOULASH..

Now That's Another Story

mmmmmm

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2010, 07:46:06 AM »

TOD:  First job I ever had was working in an advertising agency in Cincinnati as a errand boy and general dogsbody.  This was before computers and copying machines and one had to do photostats, if one can remember what those were.  They did a lot of work for Kenner Toys and Proctor Gamble, so I was often setting up displays of toilet paper to photographed and often getting to see secret projects long before they came out on the market, which is exciting, I guess, if one can get excited about toilet paper or toothpaste or detergent.

This was a much more easy-going job than my second summer job which was packing textbooks in boxes at American Book company.  But ths job paid better and I did it for about three summers.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2010, 07:46:20 AM »

DR JMK - is the Pawn Shop on 1st Avenue in Seattle - THE PAWNSHOP?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2010, 07:47:15 AM »

Getting better all the time vibes for DR JOHNG and DR MICHAELS.

I didn't count my babysitting time - though it was profitable and fun.....I also taught baton and gymnastics with my cousin a couple of summers before I was 16.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2010, 07:51:53 AM »

DR JMK - is the Pawn Shop on 1st Avenue in Seattle - THE PAWNSHOP?

There were times...
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2010, 07:56:09 AM »

Actually, DR CharlesPogue's post reminded me that my first job was the summer I graduated from high school: working with my dad on a construction job for a Cincinnati company, Crumley, Jones & Crumley. I hated much of it, from being out of bed at 5:30 to listening to my dad's country-western station to and from the 30 minute ride to work. I actually have only two memories of the job that summer: getting something in my eye and seeing a physician to have it removed and coming home one evening to find that the psycho kid around the corner had blinded in one eye my seven-year-old brother Randy. I still want that insane creep Frankie Cesna dead.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2010, 08:02:26 AM »

Watching THE GENE KRUPA STORY on TCM with Mr Sal Mineo.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2010, 08:04:44 AM »

DR ELMORE the Dream-O-Matic 6000 says that your dream indicates that you are sure that if you had stayed in Ohio that your life would have been a nightmare, and that no matter how irritating some of your NYC friends are, they have made your life more exciting than it might have been.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2010, 08:05:10 AM »

Please deposit $35 in my PayPal account

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2010, 08:11:23 AM »

I'm up, and getting ready for the arrival of Bukowsical CDs and helper.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2010, 08:11:57 AM »

DR ELMORE the Dream-O-Matic 6000 says that your dream indicates that you are sure that if you had stayed in Ohio that your life would have been a nightmare, and that no matter how irritating some of your NYC friends are, they have made your life more exciting than it might have been.

That machine is amazing!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2010, 08:29:18 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I haven't seen any snow (flurries) this morning. :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2010, 08:47:51 AM »

I'm up, and getting ready for the arrival of Bukowsical CDs and helper.
Can't wait. Just did the "Which Drunken Author Are You?" survey on Facebook and the answer, not too surprisingly, was Charles Bukowski. I'll drink to that.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 08:49:48 AM by John G. »
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2010, 08:49:14 AM »

I also just made this, a homemade version of Nutella:

http://www.savorsa.com/2010/12/heavenly-chocolate-hazelnut-spread/

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2010, 08:50:46 AM »

FYI: Kyra Sedgwick is on "The View".
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2010, 08:52:44 AM »

First job I ever had was on Saturday mornings, from the time I was 14, accompanying my father on his bakery runs.  Before we would load the truck, I was assisting in the prep rooms, making donuts, kneading breads, filling cream puffs, eclairs and jelly donuts.
The place: Princess Pastries in Parnassus, Pennsylvania.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2010, 08:59:55 AM »

The eBay guy replied to paypal - just one excuse after another and he basically says that when he saw several e-mails from me that he didn't feel like answering them.  Say what?  I just replied that communication is imperative on these kinds of transactions - he also skirted around whether the item has been shipped (I'm guessing not) and said nothing about WHEN it would be shipped, which is all we're trying to find out.  Now he's upset that they've put a hold on the funds.  I further replied that I would be happy to immediately remove the dispute if he e-mailed me and let me know what is going on.  It's that simple, really.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2010, 08:59:56 AM »

It's nice to be back on the board.  Last night, my I couldn't get on for most of the evening.  But this morning wasn't a problem!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2010, 09:00:37 AM »

So, I don't know if he'll just return the dough or if he'll get the thing shipped.  One way or another, I'll either have my money or the item - I would prefer the item.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2010, 09:02:09 AM »

This has happened to me ONCE with PayPal and ONCE on Amazon.com.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2010, 09:22:15 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

First Job: Rehearsal pianist for a production of Company that was presented by the Arlington (VA) County Parks and Recreation Department. -It was quite an interesting choice for the county's annual summer "family" musical. And, yes, there were phone calls after our first performance. However, we had a FULL pit orchestra!

First Job-Job: Summer clerk at the US Coast Guard Headquarters. Filing, filing and more filing. It was actually not a bad job. I had a good supervisor and good co-workers. However, we were all in an "internal" office in the middle of the building - no windows.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2010, 09:29:46 AM »

No Windows.....isn't that a Richard Rodgers musical?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2010, 09:30:02 AM »

Off to do some work on the theatre website.

FJL

« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2010, 09:42:30 AM »

The "I didn't feel like it" defense sounds fascinating, almost like the "I couldn't resist" defense - LOL.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2010, 10:05:26 AM »

The eBay guy replied to paypal - just one excuse after another and he basically says that when he saw several e-mails from me that he didn't feel like answering them.  Say what?  I just replied that communication is imperative on these kinds of transactions - he also skirted around whether the item has been shipped (I'm guessing not) and said nothing about WHEN it would be shipped, which is all we're trying to find out.  Now he's upset that they've put a hold on the funds.  I further replied that I would be happy to immediately remove the dispute if he e-mailed me and let me know what is going on.  It's that simple, really.

He must have been trained by our mutual friend with the initials J.C.   
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2010, 10:06:08 AM »

The "I didn't feel like it" defense sounds fascinating, almost like the "I couldn't resist" defense - LOL.

That's all-too-common in today's work force...as reason for not coming in, not meeting a deadline, not getting the job done...
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2010, 10:23:38 AM »

TOD:

First jobs I had were in summer working for my father's home improvement company.   My supervisor for two summers was Mr. Heaton...a pleasant guy with a bulbous nose...and an ever-present drop of perspiration at the tip of that nose.

He was a salty guy, to me, in the summers of 1963 and 64.  He was interesting, as well.  Whenever we accomplished something earlier than he anticipated, he'd say, "I'm satisfied yadda-yadda-yadda...".  He was also always "satisfied" that it would rain, that the rain would clear, that it would be a hot day, that the day would be overcast and, also, that the week had been a good one.

I'm satisfied that I still remember him fondly.

In the summer of 1965, my first "got-it-myself" job was -- wait for it -- as a theater usher at the Mall Cinema, Wade Hampton Mall, Greenville SC.

That, of course, was a "dream job" for a rising high school senior who was movie mad.   The Mall Cinema didn't really get the "top" draws, but the perks included getting free admission to other theaters in town (except for roadshow engagements).  It was also just a 10-minute walk from my house which was several streets behind the mall. I retained that job into the school year up until December when I broke my ankle backstage at the school's Christmas theatrical presentation.  The job was waiting for me when I got better, but we moved far enough way for it not to be convenient/feasible for me to work there any longer before graduation or during the summer before I went to college.

That summer of 1966 I was hired by the owner/manager of the apartment complex we had moved to (my parents sold our house to pay off bills and finance my education).  I emptied trash from each floor (two floors on four corners) into big bins in the back;  I hosed down all the sidewalks.  I maintained the pool  I cut grass and used an edger to keep grass from growing over the sidewalks.  Etc., etc., etc.  It was "okay"...but not a vocation I wanted to pursue again.

When I was in college, my summer jobs were in various facilities of Dan River Mills (which used to have vast holdings in the Greenville area).  I worked in a cotton warehouse two summers moving cotton bales (but, alas, there were no barges).  Another summer I spent in a cotton testing laboratory. 

The summer of 69 saw a myriad of jobs...a one-day construction job (and calling it a day was generous); a month-long stint working dead man's shift in an ice cream warehouse; a one-week gig as a chaperone for a Church group's boys at Camp Old Indian; and, finally, the ultimate job at a Pizza Hut.   

My first night at the Pizza Hut, the manager took me to a back room and explained that it was where all the supplies were kept and where the dough was made.  It was a medium-sized room with high windows and painted concrete walls.  In the middle of the floor was this large stainless steel machine that mixed the dough.  There was dough spatter (in various stages of dryness/deterioration) all over the place, including on the linoleum floor and on the walls.  The machine was the most important thing to clean, she told me.  Anything else I might be able to do would be appreciated.  I was told what to use to clean the machine and shown where all the supplies were.   

To hear my mother tell it these days, I was a good son, but not one to complete a job to her satisfaction.  For the manager of the Pizza Hut, however, the story was different.   At some point during the shank of the evening, my new boss sat down with one of the pizza makers and talked about how busy the evening had been.  The worker asked her what happened to the new guy.   She had totally forgotten me.  She figured I must have baled, but she went to the back room and opened the door.  I'm not sure what she had expected, but I didn't expect that she would stand there transfixed.

Of course, I had cleaned the dough-making machine...to within an inch of its life, apparently.  It shone.  The walls were cleaned.  The surfaces were cleaned.  All the containers on all the shelves had been cleaned, arranged according to content and aligned so you could read what was in each one.  I was on the floor at that time putting on the last coat of wax.

Her name was Ann.  Ann cried.  The next night, I was taught how to make pizzas and that's what I did for the rest of the summer...and again on my Christmas vacation.  Ann wanted me to go the Pizza Hut's management school.  I wanted to be an actor.  She suggested I think about it.

That was summer of 1969 (and December '69).  By summer 1970, Uncle Sam had other plans for my future.  I didn't look for a job again until January 1994.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 10:40:08 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up