Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SMALL PRINT  (Read 43583 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: SMALL PRINT
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2010, 07:10:25 AM »

Larry, you make me laugh.  :)

I do? That's nice to hear. Thank you!

Speaking of Nimrod in yesterday's posts, I cannot believe that Oaf has the same name as one of the most glorious and moving pieces of music ever written!

I was thinking the same thing.  :)

It was your "Weekly Reader" comment that brightened my morning.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2010, 07:38:21 AM »

I forgot to include Show Music on that list. I think I have every copy. I've saved those longer than the cooking magazines. I still get Bon Appetit, but it's not really for reading any more. The articles are often just two sentences, some pictures and some recipes.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Cillaliz

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2010, 07:42:40 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JANE!!!!!  May you have a very very wonderful day!

Cillaliz

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2010, 07:43:47 AM »

TCB    I found this and thought of you and the Titanichttp://www.perpetualkid.com/gin-and-titonic-ice-cube-tray.aspx-  I'm sure you could use the ice cubes in something other than Gin

Cillaliz

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2010, 07:44:09 AM »

Ok, back to work

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2010, 07:44:48 AM »

TOD - Talk of THE WEEKLY READER, which I loved when I was a kid, reminded me that Richard and I now subscribe to THE WEEK, which is kind of like a grown-up version of TWR.  We also get TIME and NEWSWEEK, but I often don't have the patience for some of their long, detailed articles.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2010, 07:54:43 AM »

BK, I know the collapsing of the neswpapers, both in size and quality, is tough, but people just aren't buying them or magazines much anymore and they are all fighting for survival.  Though our local paper is pretty much crap, I still subscribe because I like to hold a physical paper at the breakfast table.  The saddest part, of course, is that newspapers are no longer strong independent voices for news and people rely on the 24-hour faux news stations in cableland.  Clowns like Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck have replaced the Walter Cronkites and Edward R. Murrows of the news world.

TOD:  In my house, we subscribed to LIFE, LOOK, and THE SATURDAY EVENING POST and I looked at them every week.  As Elmore mentioned, we had the WEEKLY READER in school.  My dad bought PLAYBOY and it was on the coffee table for all to peruse -- he saw nothing dirty in the nude female form.   I later subscribed to it from the 1980's for about 20 years, finally stopping when it started reviewing video games and the playmates could be my daughter.  Since high school, I used to buy TV GUIDE every week and marked the movies I wanted to watch.  When it changed format and got so unwieldy with all the cable channels, I just stopped.

As a teenager, I was heavily into Edgar Rice Burroughs and subscribed to several fanzines.  My grandfather gave me a gift subscription to CIVIL WAR ILLUSTRATED.  For awhile my dad had subs to shortlived magazines like SHOW BUSINESS ILLUSTRATED & SHOW and I still have several copies.  I used to read any Theatre magazines and FILMS IN REVIEW in the library.  I used to buy AFTER DARK on the newstand until it finally just got so blatantly gay, it wasn't worth it for the theatre articles.  I used to subscribe to PLAYS INTERNATIONAL, a British Theatre magazine, and pick up another, PLAYS & PLAYERS whenever I saw it on the newstand.  I also used to subscribe to BIBLIO, a magazine about book collecting, now defunct, I believe.   My mother has long given me a Birthday subscription to CINCINNATI MAGAZINE.  Since she passed away this year, I guess I'll have to renew it myself.  In high school, our history teacher made us subscrbe to either NEWSWEEK or TIME.  I choose TIME.  For awhile there was a revival of LIBERTY MAGAZINE (both new and old articles) and I used to buy that.  And I used to buy the late Richard Valley's SCARLET STREET.  Belonging to AFI, I used to get the now-defunct AMERICAN FILM.   One of my joys when I lived on Yucca in LA was walking my dog, Hotspur, down to the newstand on Cahuenga between Hollywood and Sunset Blvds. several times a week.

The magazines for which I currently have subscriptions are CINCINNATI MAGAZINE, MYSTERY SCENE MAGAZINE, THE DRAMATIST (as a member of Dramatist Guild), AMERICAN THEATRE (as a member of American Theatre), WRITTEN BY (as a member of the WGA),  SOUTHERN THEATRE (as a member of Southeastern Theatre Conference), THE WEEK, and THE BURROUGHS BULLETIN (as a member of The Burroughs Bibliophiles).

I have several boxes of old magazines on theatre, books, film, and history as well as several I've saved for various articles or memorabilia (Kennedy assasination, etc.)

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2010, 07:58:17 AM »

Well, Rob is clearing last night's snowfall from the driveway and it's about time for us to leave for Dayton - bye 'til this evening!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2010, 08:11:33 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And it's Tuesday.

Umm..

Yes. It's Tuesday.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2010, 08:11:52 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR JANE!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2010, 08:12:15 AM »

I have a collection of SATURDAY EVENING POSTS going back to the 19th century.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2010, 08:17:02 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Jane

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2010, 08:18:30 AM »

TOD - Theatre Week, Show Music, and In Theatre (I think it was called).  I still have my Sunset Blvd copy of Theatre Week, the rest I think I got rid of in one of my moves.

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2010, 08:23:18 AM »

A super duper happy birthday to the adorable DR Jane!!! My favorite person to take an unexpected tour of Lake Oswego with!

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »

TOD:

My favorite magazines as a child
  TV GUIDE
  FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND
  JACK AND JILL
  FAMILY CIRCLE (I have no idea why)

as a teenager:
  STARLOG
  FANGORIA (before it got to gory)
  COMIC BOOKS (The Fantastic Four, The Inhumans, The Avengers, Silver Surfer)
  READER'S DIGEST
  NATIONAL ENQUIRER (my step mom always bought it, so might as well read it)

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2010, 08:31:10 AM »

The magazines that I read and have subscriptions to now:

CLASSIC IMAGES
FILMS OF THE GOLDEN AGE
FILMFAX
G-FAN (for fans of Japanese sci fi movies)
FILMFARE (Bollywood fan mag from India)

Occasionally I will pick up VIDEO WATCHDOG, SCARLET: THE FILM MAGAZINE, FANGORIA (if there is an interview with a vintage performer).

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2010, 08:36:40 AM »

bk - Many newspapers have "downsized" to "tabloid size" over the past couple of years.  Usually the change in format is done for economic and "green" factors.  Alas, if the quality of the content goes down too, well, that's a totally different matter.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2010, 08:48:16 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

The K-12 years:

"Highlights"
"Bananas"
"Mad Magazine" - Although, I know that most of the humor went over my head at the time.
"Sheet Music Magazine"
"Games"

College and beyond:

"Gourmet"
"Bon Appetit"
"Cooking Light"
"Saveur"
"Cook's Illustrated"
"Men's Health"
"Show Music"
"American Theatre"
"Southern Theatre"
"Gramophone"
"Keyboard"
"Electronic Musician"
"Opera News"
"Entertainment Weekly"
"The New Yorker"

Currently:
"Time Out: New York"
"New York Magazine"
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2010, 08:56:42 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2010, 08:56:58 AM »

It looks like a nice day outside.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2010, 09:03:50 AM »

I think my first memory of actually plunking down money for a magazine was MAD.  Then I did Famous Monsters of Filmland pretty regularly and all the MAD ripoffs like Help, Sick, Panic, etc, as well as those magazines in the mid-1950s that printed lyrics to songs. 

In the 1960s I didn't do much with magazines, I think, save for Theatre Arts - I didn't buy it regularly but I did get the occasional issue and loved it.  I, too, bought Show Business Illustrated and Show when I'd see them at the newsstand.

My regular magazine buying habit began around 1969.  Like Pogue, TV Guide every week, circling the movies I needed to watch.  I subscribed to both Time and Newsweek for a while.  I also did the New Yorker and New York for a while.  I did Gourmet for a year, I think.  Then came the cinema magazines - I became obsessive about doing complete runs, and I had Films and Filming, Films in Review, Sight and Sound, all pretty much complete, plus some oddball publications like The Velvet Light Trap and several other short-lived film mags.  I still have lots of those.  In the 1980s the quality of everything declined and I stopped buying and subscribing.  I held out with TV Guide until the cable came and then I couldn't make sense of it anymore.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2010, 09:04:32 AM »

I did read Show Music and Theatre World (then In Theatre) regularly because they frequently reviewed my albums.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2010, 09:35:47 AM »

OK...

Time to get my day in gear.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2010, 10:15:47 AM »

Happy Birthday, Jane!

May this day be a blessing for you and all who know & love you!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2010, 10:24:36 AM »

Good afternoon, all! Happy birthday, DR Jane!

TOD:
I used to read "Reader's Digest" regularly at my grandparents' home, and the occasional "Mad" from whichever friend had a copy. We had a "Highlights" subscription when I was a kid, and I periodically leafed through my father's "Smithsonian."

I subscribed to the Sondheim Review for a while, but let that lapse for some reason. Ditto with my "Games" subscription (although I sometimes pick up a copy at the newsstand: we need more cryptic crossword writers on this side of the pond). Currently, I only get the New York Times magazine, which, while shrunk, does still have pretty decent articles (and a fun rotation of food series).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2010, 10:52:16 AM »

BK:  I'm going to say this here rather than at FilmScoreMonthlyMessageboard:

I was really saddened by what I read in that "Lost Horizon" thread (the earlier pages).  Cliff is "out there" at the best of times and a bit of a manic depressive when times aren't great for him.  I wasn't prepared for the ugliness of his rants.  I don't think he's really attuned to discourse on the internet.  It's easy enough to call him on stuff he says when talking live but he lacks finesse when he's disagreed with.

Sorry if you felt I was siding with him despite the earlier posts.  The only reason I entered the thread was because I saw his name as the last person who posted (at the time I saw the thread near the top of the thread list).   

Much of what he said, of the personal nature, is really not something I expected from him OF ALL PEOPLE.  He was actually describing himself, except substituting the word "soundtrack" for whatever it is he's into these days.  There's quite a bit of self-loathing that comes out in his written rants/rages.  I'm sorry anyone had to see that.

And...given all that I read later last night...I'm not at all sorry he won't be sharing his thoughts with us on film and film music. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 11:37:07 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2010, 11:52:56 AM »

Topic of the Day:  I used to subscribe to TV Guide, but gave up on the print version when they changed the size and on-line version was much better, anyway.  Also, for several years, I used to subscribe to the monthly Playbill magazine.  Again, I stopped when I was getting more information from the on-line website.  I started getting Show Music probably four or five years before it ended and I'm a charter subscriber to The Sondheim Review.  Those are all the magazines that I've ever gotten.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2010, 12:07:43 PM »

Hello, everyone.

I am looking forward to my lunch with BK today. I hope he likes the restaurant I picked.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2010, 12:08:19 PM »

TCB    I found this and thought of you and the Titanic http://www.perpetualkid.com/gin-and-titonic-ice-cube-tray.aspx-  I'm sure you could use the ice cubes in something other than Gin

These are pretty cool!  I have spent too much time looking around that site...I may actually get the Doctor Who's Disappearing Tardis Mug. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2010, 12:10:34 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to DR JANE!!

May you have a lovely day!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up