Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WHEN I'M SIXTY-THREE  (Read 41957 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: WHEN I'M SIXTY-THREE
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2010, 01:11:34 PM »

I just got Glory Crampton's recording "Unusal Way" and I find that John Yap has credited my orchestration for "My Man," which belongs to Caroline O'Connor, to Chrisotpher Denny!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2010, 01:12:11 PM »

And to prove that I am culturally sensitive I show you this advertisement for a wonderful Filipino film which is sort of a remake of the Japanese film RODAN.

DR Jose, I don't know why you don't watch more Filipino movies like this....they are an important part of your heritage.

PS: you can watch this film on Youtube  ;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2010, 01:15:17 PM »

My question for ASK BK day....do you own a phonograph?

I do indeed.  Two.  One regular one and one USB one.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2010, 01:16:05 PM »

I hope no one was offended by that birthday card I posted for Bruce

I got a PM from someone who thought it was a mistake to post it. Those of you who have been around this here sight for awhile know that I have posted vintage birthday cards before...and of course you will have noticed that many vintage cards do play on stereotypes of all kinds (although I doubt that anyone holds the type of stereotype that is portrayed on this card as being even remotely true, today).

So please, nobody take offense and hopefully everyone knows I am not some sort of racist or misogynist or anything, I just love the graphics on vintage birthday cards and find them charming and funny, a well as a reflection of the times() in which they were created.

I am also not anti-politically correct. I think PC has a place in helping people be more respectful of each other, although at times (I think) some go overboard. I would personally never set out to disrespect any culture, race, or religion.

That said, BK, if you want me change the card to something else, I certainly will (or if others here find it offensive)

I was not offended, certainly.  It's vintage and I know you well enough to know that that's why you posted it.  I would hope others here would know that, too.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2010, 01:18:04 PM »

Re the Yap solo recordings - since the majority of them require singers to sing to existing orchestrations and arrangements I just have to ask if singers are so hungry to do a solo album that they'll do something that impersonal.  We took and take pride in crafting ORIGINAL albums to the singer - I could just as easily let people sing to other singers' tracks (I have all the solo albums' instrumental mixes on DAT) but I wouldn't do it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2010, 01:18:36 PM »

Back from the long jog (four miles), so I can still do it.  I won't say it was a breeze but I did it nonetheless.  It's a gorgeously gorgeous day out.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2010, 01:37:15 PM »

What do YOU want to do, DR Jane?

I don't know so I did nothing.  I went to get red put in my hair for something different.  Knowing me my hairdresser was too cautious so I am returning next week, at no charge, for the additional red.  I may hate it but I'm truly bored & want something different for a few months.

Jane

« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2010, 01:38:56 PM »

I vote....cut them DR JANE.....they will always grow  back!

LOL-true.  I've had them about a year now & they are at a good non bang length.  I'll decide next week, depending on how the color looks.

Jane

« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2010, 01:43:53 PM »

DR Jane - When you say "cut" do you mean "trim"? Or just cut them all off?

I've never understood just exactly how cutting your bangs off works? I mean, it part of the hair framing your face, right? So, you can't really cut that all off, right? I mean, if you go shorter, won't that make them stand out a little more? Whereas if you let them grow out, then they just blend in with the rest of the hair around your face? ???

Cut as in trim as they are part way down my nose.  If they were completely grown out I would say should I get bangs or cut bangs vs cut my bangs off or short ;)  In England they call them a fringe which fits your description of bangs. 

Jane

« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2010, 01:44:23 PM »

DR Jane - When you say "cut" do you mean "trim"? Or just cut them all off?

I've never understood just exactly how cutting your bangs off works? I mean, it part of the hair framing your face, right? So, you can't really cut that all off, right? I mean, if you go shorter, won't that make them stand out a little more? Whereas if you let them grow out, then they just blend in with the rest of the hair around your face? ???

In Jane's case, I think that she's wondering if she should cut her long hair to make bangs.  If I remember correctly, her hair is all one length...I think.

LOL-look at the photos you recently took. :)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2010, 01:46:28 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BRUCE!!!

May you have a lovely day!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2010, 01:48:09 PM »

And hello, everyone.

I shall try to return later to catch up on the posts. I will just add that Bruce's tostada salad yesterday looked AWFULLY good! It was all I could do to keep my fork out of it.  I think I shall try it next time.

Jane

« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2010, 01:51:59 PM »

I hope no one was offended by that birthday card I posted for Bruce

I got a PM from someone who thought it was a mistake to post it. Those of you who have been around this here sight for awhile know that I have posted vintage birthday cards before...and of course you will have noticed that many vintage cards do play on stereotypes of all kinds (although I doubt that anyone holds the type of stereotype that is portrayed on this card as being even remotely true, today).

So please, nobody take offense and hopefully everyone knows I am not some sort of racist or misogynist or anything, I just love the graphics on vintage birthday cards and find them charming and funny, a well as a reflection of the times() in which they were created.

I am also not anti-politically correct. I think PC has a place in helping people be more respectful of each other, although at times (I think) some go overboard. I would personally never set out to disrespect any culture, race, or religion.

That said, BK, if you want me change the card to something else, I certainly will (or if others here find it offensive)

There are people in Ashland who feel the TAMING OF THE SHREW should not be performed at the Shakespeare festival.

I personally am not offended and know you meant no disrespect.

Jane

« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2010, 01:53:10 PM »

When I get a haircut i usually have my bangs cut longish, so I don't usually have any traditional bangs.

I also like them longish to begin with.  Often those I ask for a smidgen more off which is not easy to do & they end up shorter than I want.

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2010, 01:54:38 PM »

;D :) ;) HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR BK  ;D :) ;)
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Jane

« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2010, 01:58:21 PM »

My niece posted this on my Facebook wall yesterday.  If my hair still looked this good without bangs I wouldn't have them. 

Sam

« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2010, 02:00:13 PM »

I got up this morning at 4am like usual, knew why I was up and what to do, but everything seemed like it would fall apart if I did.   I got scared and called in sick.   I think I have taken off maybe 5 days for being sick in 40 years of working.  The scariest part is as I'm getting older the scared part gets worse.

So I went back to sleep and just woke up a couple of hours ago.   Walked across the street to buy orange juice and dayquil, and now enjoying the beautiful sunshine in a great stupor.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Ginny

« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2010, 02:05:47 PM »

DR Jane - when I saw that photo on FB yesterday, I was hoping you'd post it here.  I love it!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #108 on: December 08, 2010, 02:06:20 PM »

Feel better vibes for DR Sam!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2010, 02:06:25 PM »

Hmm, my hair is sweeping a little bit across my forehead, not the best demonstration.  They guy getting an adoring look from me is Keith & the little cutie is my niece who sent the photo.

Jane

« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2010, 02:06:44 PM »

Thanks Ginny.

Jane

« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2010, 02:07:42 PM »

The age of the photo is why my hair looks rather red, funny since that is what I wanted to do today.

Sam

« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2010, 02:08:13 PM »

A couple of notes from an article that is really about a cooking trip to Lapland.  Raindeer Games.

Santa and his flying reindeer were said to be inspired  by shamanistic visions sparked by hallucinogenic mushrooms native to Lapland.
The original Finnish image of Father Christmas is positively frightening, he has the head of a goat, is hostile to children and demands gifts from them.
When Sami shamans enter a trance with the help of psychedelic mushrooms, their spirits leave their bodies, travel great distance, return home, fly down the chimney hole in the roof of their yurts.  This may be the model for the story of Saint Nicholas.

Sam

« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2010, 02:10:12 PM »

Great picture Jane.    I loved long hair.    It was so easy to take care of.

Sam

« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2010, 02:13:07 PM »

Thank you Ginny.    8)

I blame it on early morning walks, yard work, and it being cold.   (but then again since I'm always so hot, I'm sure I do not dress appropriately for the winter either).

Sam

« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2010, 02:14:26 PM »

Time to get back under the covers.  More sleep. More orange juice.   :-[

Sam

« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2010, 02:16:28 PM »

And Happy Birthday again to a very young at heart bk, who does more things in a single year than any person I know.  And a pinch for many more.  ;D :) ;)

Jane

« Reply #117 on: December 08, 2010, 02:16:52 PM »

Great picture Jane.    I loved long hair.    It was so easy to take care of.

Much easier than short hair, at least mine is.

Jane

« Reply #118 on: December 08, 2010, 02:19:57 PM »

Bruce tickling me in Portland.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2010, 02:33:51 PM »

Love the DRJANE photos!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up