Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LAST OF 2010 IN HIGH STYLE  (Read 17443 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: THE LAST OF 2010 IN HIGH STYLE
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2010, 06:52:57 AM »

As someone who makes at least part of my living from the hi-def world, my advice is wait on 3D HDTVs (the 3D Blu-ray players are already coming down in price and are pretty reasonable).  I'd say by mid to late 2011 3D TVs will be relatively affordable.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Kerry

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2010, 06:58:13 AM »

I don't think I saw any new movies this year.   I'm not sure. 
I like boat races.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2010, 07:10:55 AM »

How many of you have/planning to get one of those new 3-D TV's?  I think it will be quite some time before I'll bother with one--even if I did have the money.  I don't think there is enough content out there to justify getting one.  I don't like the idea of having to wear the glasses either.

Toby the Terrible would more then likely have them either torn up or out in the back yard. 

We still haven't moved up to HDTV or blu Ray - si I do not see a 3 D TV in our near future....

unless of course one of us won that 168 million  mega millions drawing...where ARE those tickets we got in our stockings?

I doubt if I ever will be buying a 3-D television.

Personally, I don't like the process and, after another year or two, my hunch is that it will go the same way that 3-D did back in the 1950s.
You can dream…or you can do.

JMK

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2010, 07:18:16 AM »

The new 3D process is a good sight better (pun intended) than the old "red and blue" glasses kind.  3D sales are exploding, believe me.  It's not going away anytime soon.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Danise

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2010, 07:21:14 AM »

So Danise, at the risk of raising a sore subject... what has been happening with your house?

I assume fromthe central heating remark that it is finally finished and you are living there 

It's not as sore as it once was.  Yes, I am home.   It's not everything I wanted but I am thrilled to be here.

I just got the Final Order from the FL Dept of Business and Pro Regulation--on Friday.  I guess it was my Christmas gift.  Not that it makes any matter to me.  They directed him to give me a full refund of my money but I'll never see a dime of it.   I think that was the hardest lesson I learned after the whole mess.  I was so sure that when you won in court that other person HAD to pay you but now I know it doesn't mean a thing.  I'm sorry DR Cilla but I will have any faith in our court system again.   You can win and lose at the very same time.

Turner now has 2 other cases listed against him on their web site so he has been a busy boy scamming folks.    I can well imagine that if 3 people filed against him, there may be countless others who didn't know how to take that steps that I did.  Who knows how many other people are out there that he took. 

At least I feel like I did something.  He now has a F BBB rating, can't pull a permit in my county, has some BIG fines to pay if he wants to keep his license and a few news stories that maybe some people saw and will take heed not to do business with him.

Now that's it all said and done I just want to put it behind me but my last thought on the subject is how it never had to happen.  If he had just done the work that he was paid to do none of what I or anyone of his other victims had go though would have happened.  I just don't understand it.  If he was in business for the past 25 plus years he must have done good work at some point in time.   He did have a B on the BBB site when I looked him up at the beginning.  Well, live and learn.

I never will understand why...

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2010, 07:30:11 AM »

The new 3D process is a good sight better (pun intended) than the old "red and blue" glasses kind.  3D sales are exploding, believe me.  It's not going away anytime soon.

"Soon" is a relative term.

3-D is a gimmick and gimmicks do not last.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2010, 08:09:38 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept late. but let's get to the important issues first.

DR Danise, how wonderful to see you! I have missed you, as I'm sure most of us have, and I'm really happy to know what's been going on. Thank you for your card. I was thinking about you on Christmas Day as I was opening four weeks of holiday cards.

Yes, we had a blizzard and the City is very very very quiet this morning. I finished watching NORTH AND SOUTH (wonderful production!) around 12:30 and had a bitch of a time getting to sleep. I was up and down, coughing, wheezing, sleeping a bit until after 4 am. When the alarm went off at 7:30, there was no way in hell I was getting out of bed.

As to the wonderful NORTH AND SOUTH, it was like seeing the film BILLY ELLIOT: I loved the plot but hada hard time at first with the accents and union talk. NORTH AND SOUTH is set in 1857, the same year as Prince Albert's Great Exhibition in the Crystal Palace in London, and it's a much darker version of PRIDE AND PREJUDICE set in a town called Milton and the cotton mills of northern England. Mr Darcy's character is John Thornton, a wealthy mill owner and self-made man, and Lizzie Bennett's counterpart is Margaret Hale, daughter of a vicar who's left his church after a disappointment in his clergy, and taken his family to northern England; there is a brother who's gone to sea and now living in exile in Spain following a mutiny that may be based on the HMS Bounty.  The plot sprawls all over - several tragic deaths, a murder mystery, a union strike and riot - and two of the most heartbreaking farewell scenes ever, one between Margaret's dying mother and Mrs Thornton and Margaret's departure from Milton to return to London. It's quiet a wonderful series.

The cast is amazing, especially Sinead Cusack (Mrs Jeremy Irons) as Mrs Thornton, the severe mother of the leading man, and Brendan Coyle as the union leader, Nicholas. I recommend this series a lot.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2010, 08:22:43 AM »

And the word of the day is: FUNAMBULISM!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  BIRD ON THE WIRE

JMK

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2010, 08:23:35 AM »

One man's gimmick is another man's latest technology.  :)

Just so you understand, I can't abide 3D, I just know the sales figures.  :)

JMK

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2010, 08:24:30 AM »

In other news, our tenants (actually just the wife) is bitching because they incurred a $30 charge for not removing yard debris that had been there for 5 months, even after I told them if they didn't take care of it, they would incur a $30 charge.  Oy.  I also can't abide being a landlord.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2010, 08:29:50 AM »

will you need to get a 3 D TV to continue reviewing?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JMK

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2010, 08:33:39 AM »

will you need to get a 3 D TV to continue reviewing?

Not for the time being--they have two other dedicated 3D reviewers.  But down the road, yes, probably.  That said, it will be a business expense for me.  ;)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2010, 08:34:11 AM »

I'm awake, packed, ready to go, almost.  Need to spiffy up the Element to make it purty for the three lovely ladies joining me on this road trip. 

JMK

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2010, 08:34:34 AM »

My ire and/or dander is raised by this tenant wife.  I am fighting the urge to send them an email saying they can now pay us the total amount due on the lease and continue paying utilities through May.

The Vixter

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2010, 08:44:45 AM »

How many of you have/planning to get one of those new 3-D TV's?  I think it will be quite some time before I'll bother with one--even if I did have the money.  I don't think there is enough content out there to justify getting one.  I don't like the idea of having to wear the glasses either.

Toby the Terrible would more then likely have them either torn up or out in the back yard. 

I found one!!!! :D

We still haven't moved up to HDTV or blu Ray - si I do not see a 3 D TV in our near future....

unless of course one of us won that 168 million  mega millions drawing...where ARE those tickets we got in our stockings?

I found one of the tickets Mom!!! :D
Me: Hi, my names Vicky, and I think I might have become a textaholic.
All my friends: Hi Vicky. *Applause*

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2010, 08:45:02 AM »

Welcome back, DR Danise
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

The Vixter

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2010, 08:45:29 AM »

How is everyone now?

John G.

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2010, 08:46:15 AM »

I thought the New York Times did an article recently on how the sales of 3D movies had dropped off, except for the animated/kids market.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

The Vixter

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2010, 08:46:54 AM »

Listening to Scottsboro Boys. BEST. CHRISTMAS. CD. EVER. Thanks again, Mom. I wish you'd had gotten to see it before it ended.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2010, 08:49:39 AM »

I believe I will put on my shoes, bundle up, and head out to investigate the storm's aftermath. If the banks are open, I will make a deposit of holiday checks. After my exercise, I've got some Victor Herbert work to accomplish, some lyrics to type and a pile of papers to sort, toss or file.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2010, 08:51:25 AM »

Listening to Scottsboro Boys. BEST. CHRISTMAS. CD. EVER. Thanks again, Mom. I wish you'd had gotten to see it before it ended.
Am enjoying that one, too.
― Voltaire

JMK

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2010, 08:52:08 AM »

I thought the New York Times did an article recently on how the sales of 3D movies had dropped off, except for the animated/kids market.

Well, virtually all of the 3D BDs that have been released are animated/kids movies, so I'm at a loss as to how to respond.  ;)  In fact, I can't even think of a 3D BD that's been released that isn't in the animated/kids market, but maybe someone can remind me.

The Vixter

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2010, 08:54:57 AM »

I only wish they had made a broadway cast one too, because I met one of the actors for that cast. Some of the lyrics are different too.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2010, 08:57:30 AM »

Well, virtually all of the 3D BDs that have been released are animated/kids movies, so I'm at a loss as to how to respond.  ;)  In fact, I can't even think of a 3D BD that's been released that isn't in the animated/kids market, but maybe someone can remind me.

They said that sound was a gimmick, too, when it was first introduced.

But, sound helped the storytelling.

Does 3D really help the storytelling?

I don't think so.

That's why it won't last.

vixmom

« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2010, 09:01:06 AM »

did we win?

vixmom

« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2010, 09:02:27 AM »

The Vixter

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2010, 09:03:41 AM »

did we win?

You tell me. It's on the table by you downstairs. XD

vixmom

« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2010, 09:04:37 AM »

I only wish they had made a broadway cast one too, because I met one of the actors for that cast. Some of the lyrics are different too.

Oh.  I thouht that was the Broadway cast

darn

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2010, 09:05:31 AM »

I think I prefer BLOW OUT to DRESSED TO KILL; which is really strange because I am not really a John Revolta fan.  I don't think he is as mannered in this film, as he became later,  This is, of course, not part of the T.O.D., but it is a post!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2010, 09:07:47 AM »

And the word of the day is: FUNAMBULISM!

I think that is when you gorge yourself on humor and then go and puke it out.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up