Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: EXHAUSTED AND EXHILARATED  (Read 11654 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
EXHAUSTED AND EXHILARATED
« on: January 09, 2011, 12:22:12 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were both exhausting and exhilarating, and now it is time for you to post until the exhausted and exhilarated cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: EXHAUSTED AND EXHILARATED
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 12:23:17 AM »

And the word of the day is: SOCKDOLAGER!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 12:30:07 AM »

And now as promised, here's your advance announcement of the new Kritzerland release - a really great score by one of my favorite composers - it's great to have him on Kritzerland.  You know the drill -19.98 plus 3.75 shipping (23.73 total) paid via paypal to kritzerland at adelphia dot net.

Kritzerland is proud to present a new world premiere limited edition soundtrack release:

A DRY WHITE SEASON

Music Composed and Conducted by Dave Grusin

Made in 1989, A Dry White Season, a searing indictment of South Africa under apartheid, was a superb, riveting film that audiences simply did not want to see, despite excellent reviews.  Perhaps it was because South Africa was still in the final throes of apartheid and the film was just too uncomfortable to watch.  Sometimes people need distance and one suspects that if the film had come out even a decade later it would have probably been more successful.  As it is, over the years people have discovered it and been truly affected by its portrayal of racial turmoil in a country divided and the way the film was able to put the politics of apartheid in meaningful human terms.

Set in 1976 around the time of the Soweto riots, the film was adapted from a novel by Andre Brink (the only book in Afrikaans to be banned in South Africa), and directed by Euzhan Palcy, who was the first black female director ever hired to direct a major studio film (MGM).   Palcy had made the critically acclaimed feature Sugar Cane Alley, which was highly thought of by other filmmakers.   She co-wrote A Dry White Season with Colin Welland.  The film was shot on a fairly tight budget of nine million dollars, an amazing figure when you consider the cast involved – Donald Sutherland (giving the performance of his career), Janet Suzman, Susan Sarandon, and, coming out of retirement because he was so moved by the project, Marlon Brando, who worked for scale.  The supporting performances are equally stellar, including Zakes Mokae, Winston Ntshona and Jurgen Prochnow.   Marlon Brando is unforgettable as the attorney – he has only two scenes but gives a brilliant performance for which he received and Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor (the film’s only nomination).  Thanks to DVD and cable, new audiences have been able to discover this important and terrific film.  Its reputation keeps growing with each passing year.

Adding immeasurably to the project is Dave Grusin’s score.  Grusin proved to be the perfect choice, and in a career filled with great scores (The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter, Heaven Can Wait, Tootsie, The Goonies, On Golden Pond, The Milagro Beanfield War, Three Days Of The Condor, The Goodbye Girl, Murder By Death, and on and on), A Dry White Season is one of his best – moody, haunting, tension-filled, and extremely moving – like the film, it really gets under your skin. 

The score as used in the film is quite short.  However, some cues went unused, some were truncated, so this CD uses the cues as they were originally written and recorded, which results in a longer playing time and in a more satisfying musical presentation. We’ve included two bonus tracks – alternate versions of two cues.

Dave Grusin is one of those composers who can do everything.  And he has – from dramatic film scoring to his great work in television (It Takes A Thief, Maude, Good Times, Baretta, The Name Of The Game, Columbo, etc.), to wonderful light comedy scores, as well as his jazz and arranging/conducting projects for such incredible people as Quincy Jones, Paul Simon, Sergio Mendes, Al Jarreau, Patti Austin, Billy Joel and many others.  He is a multiple Grammy Award-winner, a multiple Academy Award nominee (he won the Oscar for The Milagro Beanfield War).  Now in his mid-70s, he’s still the coolest guy in any room, and he’s still going strong.   

This release is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price of the CD is $19.98, plus shipping.   Additionally, we are offering a special deal with the purchase of this release.  Go to the item page and click on the link to find out about it.

CD will ship the last week of February – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 01:02:44 AM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com birthday to Evil Twin.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 01:05:26 AM »

Today, I'm ushering for the two, count 'em TWO performances of the touring production of The Wizard of Oz, performing in downtown Olympia!  I need to be at the Washington Center by 12:30 pm...at least parking is free on weekends.  I need to shower, get dressed and get something to eat before I get there, so I must act quickly.  It's gonna be a fun day in Oz!

Have a good day, all!

Yesterday, I ushered for two very good performances of "The Wizard of Oz."  The young woman who played Dorothy reminded me (vocally) a little bit of Alet Taylor.  The woman playing the Wicked Witch of the West was also very good.  Overall, it was a lot of fun and each performance had audiences of over 800 who thoroughly enjoyed them.  It was quite a successful two-performance run.  A friend that I hadn't seen in probably 15 years was there.  We chatted a tiny bit before the show started, but we were able to talk again after the show.  It was nice to catch up with him. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 01:06:13 AM »

The meeting this morning was fine.  The helper's boyfriend and the helper's best friend will coordinate and get done what needs to be done, so that it's not all falling on my shoulders.  Apparently our vibes and xylophones are working but we're going to have to keep them coming VERY strongly for another two weeks, I think.  One piece of advice I gave them was heeded and that apparently did some good.

CONTINUED VIBES!!!

~~~DITTO!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 01:14:13 AM »

A DRY WHITE SEASON has been ordered!

George

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 01:21:17 AM »

A Very Happy Birthday to DR Evil Twin!! ;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 04:47:20 AM »

Good morning, all! Since I will be away tomorrow and Tuesday, I am up early to so laundry. I wish I were sleeping in.  Last night's dream was something convoluted about post offices, a closing performance of something that I was attendng with Marni Nixon, and a shopping bag of unopened mail that I was carting about while looking for my shoes.

First, coffee.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 04:50:33 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 04:50:42 AM »

Hey, Lar, see you later!

Ben

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 04:51:31 AM »

Not much more to say right now.

We will have breakfast when Anthony wakes up.

Ben

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 04:52:22 AM »

The monthly appearance of the exterminator is sometime this morning.

Ben

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 04:52:43 AM »

After that we will go about our lives and wait for Dear Larry's arrival.

Ben

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 04:53:22 AM »

Hilarity will ensue.

I think I will go back to work tomorrow.

It would be nice to take another week off but I really can't do that.

Michael

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 05:18:04 AM »

first rehearsal today of play
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 06:13:53 AM »

The laundry is in the dryers, the bathroom is mopped, and the bed is made.

When I was in Ohio last month, the lady who's taking my collection of papers into the Rare Books and Manuscripts division asked me to begin a list of Friends and acquaintances for reference to corrspondence, etc.
So, this morning I've been adding names and comments to my lists.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 06:14:20 AM »

Hey, Lar, see you later!

Yep! You will.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 06:35:29 AM »

New CD ORDERED!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 06:39:31 AM »

I liked REPORT TO THE COMMISSIONER that MR BK mentioned in the notes......I saw it at the drive in movie theatre a couple of times in the last century.

I enjoyed Mr Michael Moriarity (he played The Gentleman Caller on television in the Katharine Hepburn television version of THE GLASS MENAGERIE.   However, I had to turn the movie off because of Susan Blakeley's "intense" performance as a police informant.....she is certainly a graduate of the Jill St. John/Yvette Mimieux Dramatic School with a major in indication.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 06:41:21 AM »

So sorry to read DR MBARNUM's post about Mr Aron Kincaid who was much appreciated in his appearances.....not for his acting.

I saw him most recently on one of those "Hollywood" mystery shows that used to be popular.  He owned and lived in a rather notorious house....but now I can't recall if it was the George Reeves home or the Jean Harlow/Paul Bern manse.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 06:42:43 AM »

Yesterday I had 15 consultations.....which is a LOT of talking!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 06:43:04 AM »

AND the Colts lost by one point.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 06:46:01 AM »

CNN.com's read-it-two ways headline for yesterday's shocking event:

Congresswoman Still Critical as Arizona Shooting Probe Continues

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 07:07:50 AM »

I saw him most recently on one of those "Hollywood" mystery shows that used to be popular.  He owned and lived in a rather notorious house....but now I can't recall if it was the George Reeves home or the Jean Harlow/Paul Bern manse.

Perhaps DR MBarnum would know; I suspect that there was some stalking. Mr Kincaid was 70, you know!

Danise

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 07:08:03 AM »

Good morning all!

I finished the laundry, got gas for Bonny, food for the dogs and then for me and still forgot to stop off at the local CVS to pick up a prescription refill for my BP.   Guess I'll have to make a quick run over to get that. 

I also started my job hunt on-line.  There really isn't anything out there in my price range and I know it will take some time to find something that I feel will make me happy.  Now that I've made the decision to move on, I feel better. 

I had a weird dream last night about---vampires.  I haven't read or seen any movie about them so it was strange that they would pop up.  They were good vampires.  A family or group of friends if I remember correctly. 

I can't wait to get the heating back on line.  I know 58 doesn't seem very cold to some of you but that is the temp in my living room as I type this.    I have a small space heater on but considering all the fires that our area has had from people using them, I really don't like using it.  I won't leave it on when I pop over to get my  prescription sometime this afternoon.  Hopefully it will be warmer by then.

I'm going to try to make a knock off recipe for Olive Gardens Chicken and Gnocchi soup for dinner tonight.  I think that a good hot bowl of soup will help to warm me up.

I delayed going out yesterday because two of my all time favorite movies were on--Father of the Bride and Father of the Bride II.  They are both a two hankie type of movie.  I lose it every time.   

Not much else going on so laters all!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 07:17:39 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 07:10:42 AM »

The laundry is finished. Now it's time for a shower and making ready to set out. I have a meeting at Toyland at noon before I visit chez McLaughlin and Morelli.

Danise

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 07:11:59 AM »

Oh, I did want to tell you that I am still entering the HSN home give away contest.  I just keep thinking that if I won it I could either sell it and pay everything off or turn it into a B & B and have my own business.   That would be so wonderful!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 07:15:04 AM »

Good morning all!

I also started my job hunt on-line.  There really isn't anything out there in my price range and I know it will take some time to find. 

I can't wait to get the heating back on line.  I know 58 doesn't seem very cold to some of you but that the temp in my living room as I type this.    I have a small space heater on but considering all the fires that our area has had, I really don't like using it.

DR Danise, I thought the heating men had been called!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Employment Vibes for our DR Danise! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

windsongRobbie

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 07:19:51 AM »

More exhilarated than exhausted here.  Just reviewed details of upcoming Herb Alpert & Lani Hall shows in Boston & New York City in about five weeks!  A good friend is flying in from London to join us.  Front row tables at both venues!  Really looking forward to the NYC show in the Allen Room at Lincoln Center - behind the stage is a huge wall of windows, looking out on Columbus Circle.

BTW, their new CD, I Feel You, is due out Feb. 8th on Concord.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up