Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RUNNER STUMBLES  (Read 11680 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: THE RUNNER STUMBLES
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2011, 07:47:42 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... Sorta...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2011, 07:48:32 AM »

Ain't that a fine way to start Page 2? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2011, 07:51:58 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  Today is repacking day for our amended trip south.  We never fully unpacked, but it's a bit different when you're flying rather than driving.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2011, 07:57:08 AM »

In other news...

I had a good dinner and a good time with my friends last night out in Flushing, alas, due to some train and people delays, we didn't end up getting to the restaurant until around 9:00, and we didn't head back into Manhattan until 11:00. So, by the time I got home - after being up since 5:00am - I basically got right into bed and fell asleep for a good, solid eight hours.

It was nice to sleep in my own bed again. And it was also nice to realize that I've got my "land legs" back already. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2011, 08:01:54 AM »

In other news...

I had a good dinner and a good time with my friends last night out in Flushing, alas, due to some train and people delays, we didn't end up getting to the restaurant until around 9:00, and we didn't head back into Manhattan until 11:00. So, by the time I got home - after being up since 5:00am - I basically got right into bed and fell asleep for a good, solid eight hours.

It was nice to sleep in my own bed again. And it was also nice to realize that I've got my "land legs" back already. :)
I always enjoy the feeling of sea legs, but then I have only sailed on a clipper ship. A little different from what you experienced.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Amy

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2011, 08:10:40 AM »

I'm sorry I'm late in posting about the last Kritzerland at the Gardenia show. But it was marvelous! Mark and I are Sondheim fans, so we enjoyed it very much. Bruce warned we wouldn't recognize many of the songs, but I recognized more than I thought I would, thanks to several S.T.A.G.E. shows being devoted to Sondheim. Lordy, there were soooo many lyrics - who could blame the cast for a little forgetfulness, but the accompanist appeared to have lyrics this time, so he could help out. The "hidden track" for "I'm Not Getting Married Today" was probably one of the bigger surprises of the evening - sung unusually slow and USO style (think Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy), and as Bruce pointed out, you could actually understand all the words for once. The other highlight was Millicent Martin, whom I immediately recognized, but couldn't figure out where I had seen her. It drove me crazy for the rest of the show! We had to look her up on IMDB.com when we got home. She'd been on "Frasier" - that was it! She was Daphne's mother.

So, before the show, standing right in front of our wonderful front row table was Gary Stockdale and he just happened to be talking about Bukowsical to someone, so I mentioned that Mark had just given me the CD for Xmas and I'd been playing it in my car. His eyes lit up and he said, "You're kidding! If you were standing up I'd kiss your feet right now." Hmmmm...is the CD not selling well?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2011, 08:11:35 AM »

In other news...

I always enjoy the feeling of sea legs, but then I have only sailed on a clipper ship. A little different from what you experienced.

I think the only time I ever experienced sea legs was when I was nine-years old and had spent the day sailing around Puget Sound with my dad on the Coast Guard ship that he was stationed on at the time.  I've been on about five or six cruises over the past couple of years, and the transition back to land has always been an easy one for me.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2011, 08:13:24 AM »

As for the Friday Media Check...

Oh... I guess it is Friday... Hmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Amy

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2011, 08:14:42 AM »

The other oddity of the evening was Mark's meal. He ordered something not on the menu, which probably every waiter/waitress hates, but it was very simple. He just wanted pasta in a butter/olive oil sauce. After a while she brought to the table a dish of about 5 pats of butter, and a small bottle of olive oil. Mark said to me, "are they going to bring me a plate of dry pasta and I have to make the sauce myself?" Yep - that's exactly what the waitress did. We'd never seen anything like it. Amazingly, the pasta was hot enough to melt the butter and Mark enjoyed it very much, and even said he would order it again.

John G.

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2011, 08:56:55 AM »

The other oddity of the evening was Mark's meal. He ordered something not on the menu, which probably every waiter/waitress hates, but it was very simple. He just wanted pasta in a butter/olive oil sauce. After a while she brought to the table a dish of about 5 pats of butter, and a small bottle of olive oil. Mark said to me, "are they going to bring me a plate of dry pasta and I have to make the sauce myself?" Yep - that's exactly what the waitress did. We'd never seen anything like it. Amazingly, the pasta was hot enough to melt the butter and Mark enjoyed it very much, and even said he would order it again.
That's laziness on the kitchen's part.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2011, 09:36:47 AM »

I've been curious about some copyright issues, maybe BK has some words of wisdom.  This also applies to the TOD, as I have been listening to the LP series I mentioned the other day, Time-Life's mid-70's opus, AS YOU REMEMBER THEM.  I'm really curious how "recreating" arrangements worked in terms of copyright.  I'm sure Capitol licensed things properly with Harry Fox (or whoever handled mechanicals back in the day), but were they required to pay a fee to the original arrangers/orchestrators?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2011, 10:03:16 AM »

I have been so sneezy for the past few days--I wonder what's affecting my allergies.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2011, 10:06:50 AM »

Estimated tax vibes for Larry

~~~Ditto!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2011, 10:07:24 AM »

Still waiting to hear back on the next phase of the job interviewing process for the temp position I would like.

~~~Next Phase Vibes for DR John G.!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JMK

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2011, 10:14:28 AM »

Tax experts and even the Department of Revenue in Oregon are urging those of us who are self-employed especially to file for extensions this year until the Oregon leglislature can pull its tax code into line with the recent Federal changes.  Oy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2011, 10:48:57 AM »

Garage door vibes for DR MATTHEW.

DITTO!!!

JMK

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2011, 10:51:43 AM »

I'm up because of a garage door that picked this morning not to function properly upon the DP's departure.  Somehow, I was left with the task of getting it down.  It's down finally, but there is something wrong with one of the tracks, or something on the door itself and at 4:00am, I wasn't about to figure it out.

However, I'm up for the day.

Matthew, we just went through this at our old home which is now our exciting rental property.  :)  What had happened with us is that the emergency release (the thing that makes it a "manual" in case the power goes out) had been partially detached.  That automatically takes the chain off the track.  On ours, all I needed to do was to pull it down to completely release it, then pull it into the "attached" position (which is usually toward the back of the garage--back meaning away from the door itself).

Jane

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2011, 10:52:04 AM »

LOL at least the pasta was cooked. :)

Thank you for your enjoyable report on the evening activities.

Jane

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2011, 10:59:19 AM »

We continue to have problems with our internet connection.  Craig & I are finding it even more difficult using the wireless connection.  Keith said to feel free to call our server, Quest, and go into robo phone hell.  I declined.  I will be using the computer less to see if it helps Craig get a better connection.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2011, 11:12:06 AM »

I am back! On the way in I ran into my super who has informed me the Oaf's apartment has been rented to a student. The super assures me he has no dog. I hope he doesn't tunr out to be ne of the midnight crowd from Christmas week.

I got an inquiry from Rodgers and Hammerstein about cutting down the size of the orchestra for the revised version of ANNIE GET YOUR GUN, which I did for them in 2000. Since I have no memory of the orchestration I went to the RHO website to find that the orchestration they've been renting for the past 8 or so years is still credited to the Broadway orchestrator.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2011, 11:18:40 AM »

I've been curious about some copyright issues, maybe BK has some words of wisdom.  This also applies to the TOD, as I have been listening to the LP series I mentioned the other day, Time-Life's mid-70's opus, AS YOU REMEMBER THEM.  I'm really curious how "recreating" arrangements worked in terms of copyright.  I'm sure Capitol licensed things properly with Harry Fox (or whoever handled mechanicals back in the day), but were they required to pay a fee to the original arrangers/orchestrators?

I'm not sure I'm getting what you're asking - are you saying Time-Life re-recorded tracks using or aping the original arrangements?  Or did they license the original arrangements.  Sadly, most arrangements, especially older ones, have no real protection.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2011, 11:19:16 AM »

I'm up, it's a gorgeous day, I'm being lazy, but must now write some pages. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2011, 11:20:08 AM »

I did have a fun telephonic conversation with the mother of the girl who played Annie at Musical Theater West - we're all having lunch on Monday and it may lead to something that could potentially be unique and fun.

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2011, 11:26:20 AM »

For anyone who watches HUMAN TARGET fox is showing last Wednesday's 2 hour episode tonight (it was not on because of the memorial).

Ginny

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2011, 11:29:32 AM »

LOL at least the pasta was cooked. :)

Thank you for your enjoyable report on the evening activities.

DR Jane, I had the same concern about the pasta!  And DITTO to DR Amy for the report!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2011, 11:32:13 AM »

Good day one and all
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

John G.

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2011, 11:51:21 AM »

Why are we still on this page?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2011, 11:51:53 AM »

I have been cold most of the day, even though my feet are in my thickest socks and shoes.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2011, 11:52:22 AM »

I read a report recently that said one works better when it's cold. I disagree.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2011, 11:52:40 AM »

One more.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up