News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: STARS  (Read 14300 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re: STARS
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2011, 11:00:29 AM »

We have a form of pasties here in ND called Fleishkeichla

I will pass on Montana's delicacy.. Rocky Mountain Oysters (also called Prairie oysters) do not sound appetizing in the least.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »

On the key of C

I have gotten us to Page 5!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

MBarnum

« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2011, 11:01:39 AM »

Happy 30th Anniversary Ginny and Richard!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2011, 11:05:40 AM »

TOD:

I have long thought that Lillian Jackson Braun's THE CAT WHO...series of mystery books would make a great TV series or series of TV movies, with Tom Selleck in the role of Jim Qwilleran. He is now just at that right age.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2011, 11:16:56 AM »

The food link referring to Chislic had me looking up the item wikipedia. My suspicisons were correct and I recgonized the description as Schaschlik

I have made it before and it is a German and German-Russian delicacy especially the Black Sea Germans from Russia.

They are also featured in the PBS program Schmeckfest detailing the food traditions of the Germans from Russia. I have had it with lamb, pork and veal. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chislic

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2011, 11:18:09 AM »

Also Schaschlik is popular in the southwestern part of ND that has a mix of Ukrainian and Germans from Russia

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2011, 11:19:46 AM »

TOD:

I have long thought that Lillian Jackson Braun's THE CAT WHO...series of mystery books would make a great TV series or series of TV movies, with Tom Selleck in the role of Jim Qwilleran. He is now just at that right age.

I was thinking that also

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2011, 11:28:41 AM »

I haven't been sitting here like so much fish rudely ignoring all the lovely anniversary wishes.  The wireless was so wonky when we were ready to go across the square for brunch that I just put the computer to sleep.  So, thank you to DRs:

JohnG
Elmore
JMK
Cillaliz
FJL

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO BOTH OF YOU

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2011, 11:45:09 AM »

An Elaine Stritch HE HAD REFINEMENT dance   (well, not really a dance, but it's not a page-turn either)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRK6vIPjK4Q
I haven't seen that since it originally aired. Thanks for posting that.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: January 17, 2011, 12:00:57 PM »

I've cleaned off my desk, done the final proofs for Jerome Morross' BALLET BALLADS, and begun my taxes. While I've worked, I've been listening to the Metropolitan Opera broadcasts of DIE FLEDERMAUS, book by Garson Kanin and lyrics by Howard Dietz. I've got the original 1951 broadcast as well as those of 1954, 1958, and 1963. The 1951 has some sound problems, but 1954, 1958, and 1963 are all excellent to fair sound. I think the 1958 performance is the most consistent sound. The 1963 cast includes Jeanettwe Scovotti, who is the star of the 1963 Lehman Engel-Reader's Digest "Treasury of Great Operettas." She had a huge opera career, but she began in the chorus of the original Broadway production of LI'L ABNER.

I now have to print out my 2010 income and my work sheets. I think the first receipts I will tackle are the subway and taxi receipts.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

td

• td
« Reply #130 on: January 17, 2011, 12:13:02 PM »

Happy Anniversary Ginny and Richard!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

John G.

« Reply #131 on: January 17, 2011, 12:14:30 PM »

td, any more videos of Miss Molly Brown?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #132 on: January 17, 2011, 01:03:31 PM »

Happiest of birthdays to DR Noel!

Here is how Richard and I celebrated your birthday, 30 years ago today:

A Very Happy Birthday to DR Noel!!

And A Very Happy Anniversary to DR Ginny and Richard!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #133 on: January 17, 2011, 02:00:45 PM »

TOD:

I was actually thinking about this the other day.  I would love to see a movie (or better yet, a TV miniseries) made from Mark Helprin's WINTER'S TALE.  I remember at the time I read it, I thought that a young Peter O'Toole would have been ideal for the lead character.

I remember reading that when I was in high school.  I barely remember anything about it but I do remember that it was difficult for me to follow.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #134 on: January 17, 2011, 02:06:22 PM »

Topic of the Day:  Benjamin Kritzer, Kritzerland and Kritzer Time.

Duh.

;)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #135 on: January 17, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »

TOD:

I was actually thinking about this the other day.  I would love to see a movie (or better yet, a TV miniseries) made from Mark Helprin's WINTER'S TALE.  I remember at the time I read it, I thought that a young Peter O'Toole would have been ideal for the lead character.

I remember reading that when I was in high school.  I barely remember anything about it but I do remember that it was difficult for me to follow.
TOD:

I liked the book but can't remember an image of an actor for the role.

George

« Reply #136 on: January 17, 2011, 02:28:13 PM »

DakotaCelt has reached a new milestone!  Congrats!

Ginny

« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2011, 02:31:45 PM »

We have returned from our trolley tour of Savannah, which we took one and a half times.  Did the whole loop and then hopped on another trolley and went as far as the cathedral and walked home from there.  We're now relaxing and freshening up before going to dinner at Elizabeth on 37th.  On our walk back from the cathedral, I bought a fun new jacket to wear.

Thank you to DRs Jane, DakotaCelt, MBarnum, ArnoldMBrockman, td, and George for the anniversary wishes I found when I signed in!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

KevinH

« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2011, 02:57:37 PM »

Here's another Happy Anniversary wish, DR Ginny, to you and Richard!

Jane

« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2011, 02:58:47 PM »

Beautiful restaurant Ginny & the ROASTED SHIITAKE AND OYSTER MUSHROOMS   
blackeyed peas and curried cauliflower sounds yummy.  First I will have the carrot soup.  I think I will be too full for one of the delicious desserts. ;)

Jane

« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2011, 02:59:24 PM »

We have returned from our trolley tour of Savannah, which we took one and a half times.  Did the whole loop and then hopped on another trolley and went as far as the cathedral and walked home from there.   On our walk back from the cathedral, I bought a fun new jacket to wear.

:D

KevinH

« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2011, 03:00:29 PM »

I'm back from New York, New York.  

I was glad I decided to see Mary Poppins--I enjoyed it much more than the last time I saw it.  It certainly helped having a seat in the second row of the mezzanine.

Jane

« Reply #142 on: January 17, 2011, 03:16:39 PM »

Fast trip KevinH.  I'm glad you had a good time.

John G.

« Reply #143 on: January 17, 2011, 03:19:12 PM »

I'm back from New York, New York.  

I was glad I decided to see Mary Poppins--I enjoyed it much more than the last time I saw it.  It certainly helped having a seat in the second row of the mezzanine.

bet the weekend flew by.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: January 17, 2011, 03:20:18 PM »

We have returned from our trolley tour of Savannah, which we took one and a half times.  Did the whole loop and then hopped on another trolley and went as far as the cathedral and walked home from there.  We're now relaxing and freshening up before going to dinner at Elizabeth on 37th.  On our walk back from the cathedral, I bought a fun new jacket to wear.

Have a good time!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: January 17, 2011, 03:22:32 PM »

Wrote about six pages, then went to lunch meeting.  I'll say more when everything is finalized, but it looks like something fun will come out of it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: January 17, 2011, 03:22:57 PM »

Shall now try to write through to the end of the chapter, two or three more pages.

George

« Reply #147 on: January 17, 2011, 03:23:28 PM »

Well, it's time for me to (finally) take a shower and get out of the house...for no other reason than because, so I will. 

Have a good rest of the day, all!

Jennifer

« Reply #148 on: January 17, 2011, 03:34:38 PM »

Happy Anniversary to DR Ginny and Richard!

Jennifer

« Reply #149 on: January 17, 2011, 03:36:20 PM »

I actually prefer when the host does a monologue. And I like to have the host on throughout the night.

I thought that Ricky Gervais was okay. Funny some of the time. But I think he crossed the line a few times.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up