Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SURPRISE, SURPRISE  (Read 28230 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SURPRISE, SURPRISE
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2004, 10:27:13 AM »

No, David is not among the dancers.  I think I mentioned former Jet Bobby Banas among the dancers, but I didn't really recognize anyone else, although I'm sure we'd know them.

I was a Bosco man myself.  I've never had Quik or Ovaltine or any of that stuff.  I even stopped Bosco at an early age because I hated milk so much.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2004, 10:27:20 AM »

Happy Birthday, François!
[/color][/font][/size]

Many happy returns of the day.
[/font][/color][/size]

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2004, 10:27:58 AM »

Whatever happened to Free Cell?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2004, 10:28:13 AM »

Does anyone   still   wear   a    hat?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2004, 10:33:09 AM »

I got a burning "Qu" tile with nothing around it that I could use!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2004, 10:35:50 AM »

Welcome to our two newest registered users, Lisa and Elan.  I remember Elan (and April) from the One From Column A days.  Lisa is a mystery to me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2004, 10:37:15 AM »

Firs of all, Happy Birthday to DR Francois!  I meant to say that in my earlier post but I was thinking only of me.

DRJason, is THE BLACK TULIP based on the novel by Mr Alexandre Dumas, one of my favorite authors?

A question for all concerning this new PS Classics release of FINE AND DANDY:  have any of you ordered it and listened to it?  If so, how was it shipped to you?  It's been 8 days now since I was told my copy was in the post, and I either have a lousy post office (I already knew that) or someone's walking it to Manhattan to me!

Dear Friend BK, I don't know about the WHERE'S CHARLEY? casting yet, but i've been invited to a party at the director's on Sunday night.  Do you want to be my date?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2004, 10:38:34 AM »

First of all, Happy Birthday, DR Francois!!

Secondly,
A couple of questions for our esteemed BK and all the Hainesies and Kimlets:  How tall are you?  And, if you had a choice, would you rather be taller than you are now, or shorter?

I'm 5' 9-1/2".  I wouldn't mind being a little taller, but I'd definitely prefer to be a lot thinner.  (I've gained weight since my "after" picture was taken ::).)  So there.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2004, 10:38:36 AM »

Well, dang you all to heck and back! I am now addicted to this Bookworm game (beware Jason, beware).

Got as far as librarian with 102,530 points before the big fire! I believe my big word was vague. Don't recall how many points. But what a fun game. I must stop now and take a shower and continue my last day off.

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2004, 10:40:13 AM »

Re: American Idol

I would be stunned, shocked, and totally surprised if Jasmine did not leave this week.  I think LaToya leaving will wake people up.

I do wish though that the judges weren't so one-sided towards Fantasia.  But I suppose if she is their choice, then they should tell us.

I was a big surprised when Simon said that Jasmine should pack her bags.  After last week (where he must have realized that his comments had a big impact on Jasmine staying) I thought he would be more careful.

George

« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2004, 10:41:29 AM »

Question for BK and all other restaurant-goers:  How comfortable do you feel about asking for something that's not on the menu?  Are there places where you do this all the time or other places where you would not even dare?

I've never done this.  I have to admit that I pretty much have only gone to restaurant chains where I wouldn't think that they would create something that they don't have.  And I'm really not one to ask, either.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2004, 10:41:35 AM »

From Jose:

"Hershey's Syrup, Quik, and/or Ovaltine? With or without Almonds? Rye: with or without caraway seeds?
Original Recipe or Extra Crispy"

Ovaltine

With Almonds thank you

If I'm having Rye I prefer it with a splash of soda (lol). Actually, if I'm having rye I prefer no seeds but I would prefer wheat bread over rye

Original Recipe

Jason

« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2004, 10:42:14 AM »

I don't know that it's based directly from the book THE BLACK TULIP by Alexandre Dumas (I've never read it), but it's entirely possible. I just know that the opening song, "Tulip Madness," is a hoot and a half...

"Tulip Madness!
Tulip Fever!
Tulip Madness!
Too-Lip Loo-nah-see!"

Elmore: Are you part of Goodspeed's production of WHERE'S CHARLEY? If so, in what capacity?

MBarnum

« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2004, 10:43:20 AM »

I am 5'11. Wouldn't mind being taller.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2004, 10:45:15 AM »

Heureux Anniversaire, François

Jrand53:  Just remember!  Billie's Got the Beat!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 02:12:30 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2004, 10:46:00 AM »

....and I worked way too many performances of Wagner's RING to find any of the beauty in it. GOTTERDAMMERUNG (the fourth and final installment of DER RING) is six hours long. SIX HOURS OF NOTHING HAPPENING!! I was amazed by the number of people who saw THE RING all three times all the way through. I don't have the patience for Wagner's self-indulgence, but more power to 'em if they can stay awake for all of that mess.

My dad loves Wagner's RING.  I copied a set of the videos for him, a couple of years ago.  Myself, I'd prefer the original cast recording of Das Barbecü (as produced by our very own BK) anytime!

Ben

« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2004, 10:50:17 AM »

Jason,

Here is the link to Bookworm. Go at your own risk. I found it addicting. You can play on line or download a copy and play off line. It's a word game and it's pretty self-explanatory. It takes a few seconds to load (it uses Java script). Enjoy

http://www.popcap.com/gamepopup.php?theGame=bookworm

Ben

« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2004, 10:51:30 AM »

Oh, my, I must do this. Forgive me. It's a pure vanity post.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2004, 10:53:10 AM »

Yes, elmoore, I will gladly be your date by proxy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2004, 10:53:25 AM »

Yes she does RLP....the BEAT....and of course Patty has more of the BEAT in the long shots (and shots from the waist down) when someone else is dancing...but she has it nevertheless.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2004, 10:54:56 AM »

Ben, I'm glad you went past 100,000. Now I can stop trying to be the first to get there and relax.

As for the playwright/screenwriter question...  One of the big differences between a screenplay and a play is that in films/TV there are so many middle men/women between the writer and the finished product. A film can be made much better (or worse) than it is by the editor, the cinematographer and half a dozen - or more - others (I'm not including the director and actors because their input applies to stage, as well, of course). Whenever someone compliments me on something I've written, the first thing I always say (after "thank you") is "It all came together well." That's not being modest - it's the truth. When that happy convergence of the perfect group for a particular film happens, it's a rare and glorious thing. With the stage, it's more straightforward. It's the words, the director, the actors (of course the lighting, costumes, etc make a big difference - but they serve the play, not make the play.)
That's the beginning of my thoughts, I have some things to do now, but will continue later, or maybe one of the others will say all that is necessary, and I won't have to.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 10:57:21 AM by Panni »

George

« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2004, 10:59:04 AM »

Questions for BK - and/or other DRs (from Jose):

Hershey's Syrup, Quik, and/or Ovaltine? I've never had Ovaltine.

With or without Almonds? Depends on my mood.  Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't.

Rye: with or without caraway seeds? Without...ALWAYS

Original Recipe or Extra Crispy? Neither, I prefer it on a bun and you don't get a choice.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2004, 11:01:47 AM »

Thanks for the answers MR BK!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2004, 11:03:41 AM »

Is there one particular restaurant, road side stand, shack, etc., that serves one particular food item that would gladly go out of your way for to have whenever you are near it - or not near it?

Thanks a whole bunch for making me think of it:  now I have to go to Krispy Kreme.  Yes, they're a chain, but they're pretty darned good...and only a half hour away!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2004, 11:04:54 AM »

Oh - before I get back to writing (NO MORE BOOKWORM!!) I'm 5'4" -- in shoes. In my bare feet, I still call myself 5'4'', so sue me (a GUYS AND DOLLS reference!).

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2004, 11:16:42 AM »

Elmore: Are you part of Goodspeed's production of WHERE'S CHARLEY? If so, in what capacity?

Orchestrator.  It's my 5th show for Goodspeed:  OH, KAY!, THE CHOCOLATE SOLDIER, MIRETTE, REDHEAD, and now this.

Wagner and Richard Strauss are two operatic composers with moments I admire but should have learned two words early in their careers:  edit & prune.
I'd rather listen to both at home and go on with housework than sit in a theatre and be bored four over four hours.  I simply don't understand their appeal.  I once dozed through TRISTAN UND ISOLDE with Birgit Nillson (!) because nothing happens!  They bellow for forty minutes, King Mark looks unhappy and sings for another 10 minutes, then Tristan strikes Mark or vice versa and nothing happens while they sing another hour or so.  Gorgeous music, but what a bore!  However, the Quintet in CARMEN, Act Two, is such genius that it's one of the few pieces of music, along with most of Mozart, that I wish I'd written.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

William E. Lurie

« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2004, 11:20:21 AM »

Elmore---
I posted on Sunday that I got it and really enjoyed it.  Which numbers did you orchestrate?

Mine came in Saturday's mail, two days after I got the e-mail that it was shipped.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2004, 11:23:51 AM »

Only Fox's U-bet syrup will do.

That's my big brother!  I second that emotion!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2004, 11:32:03 AM »

Questions for BK - and/or other DRs:
Hershey's Syrup, Quik, and/or Ovaltine?
Hershey's.  Quick is too sweet, and Ovaltine isn't even real chocolate.

With or without Almonds?
With.

Rye: with or without caraway seeds?
With.  Definately with.

Original Recipe or Extra Crispy?
Extra Crispy, but I don't like KFC.  I much prefer Popeye's Spicy.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2004, 11:45:19 AM »

Elmore---
I posted on Sunday that I got it and really enjoyed it.  Which numbers did you orchestrate?

Mine came in Saturday's mail, two days after I got the e-mail that it was shipped.

DRWEL, it's most puzzling; I just spoke to my friend Tommy Krasker, and he said everyone seems to have received theirs, shipped by first class postage, this weekend!  I am of course totally puzzled by the situation and believe it's the problem of my terrible post office, which is inept by all postal standards.  My postman on Saturday was someone I'd never seen before who spoke English as a third or fourth language, wo told me there were no packages for me, and who later decided that, yes, I did have a package, but not either of the two from PS Classics!

As to what I did on the album, I did three or four:  "The Jig Hop" and its dance, "I'll Hit a New High," and the piece for the men that brings on Andrea Burns.  The number I loved in the studio, scored by Russell Warner, is the "Starting At the Bottom (title?) that Gavin Creel sings.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up