Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HAVE I STAYED TOO LONG AT THE FAIR  (Read 12844 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: HAVE I STAYED TOO LONG AT THE FAIR
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2011, 11:46:04 AM »

Sorry to hear about the passing of both Mary Cleere Haran and Tura Satana, star of one of my favorites, "Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!"
I see both were posted ysterday. Just now doing catch up.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2011, 11:54:12 AM »

Watching "Temple Grandin." Clare Danes and Catharine O'Hara are both pretty darn wonderful.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2011, 11:55:04 AM »

I think I will go for a walk and check out the eighborhod around 96th and Broadway.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2011, 12:14:08 PM »

Watching "Temple Grandin." Clare Danes and Catharine O'Hara are both pretty darn wonderful.

Sure are!  So is Julia Ormond but then you might not be far enough into the story to realize this.

FJL

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2011, 12:22:41 PM »

All That Chat had better get it together - they've already lost a considerable number of posters there and they will never ever recover if they keep doing this. 

BK - Do you think it matters to the owners if they lose some posters, as long as the flow of discussion continues.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2011, 12:23:23 PM »

While I have SOCIAL NETWORK on my Netflix queue to watch & it said to be an excellent movie, I have reservations about watching it.  From what I have read Mark Zuckerberg seems to be a good sport regarding the inaccuracies about him especially those that are unkind.

It's fiction, speculation, and artistic and dramatic license! What's there to boycott?

I found this quote regarding the book:
"Mezrich's inability to obtain an interview with Zuckerberg and his reliance on Zuckerberg's bitter ex-business partners for information.........."

Kerry

« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2011, 12:26:08 PM »

It's time to strip the bed.    :o
I like boat races.

Ginny

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2011, 12:32:04 PM »

Sunday afternoon greetings!  We are back from Lima and Rob is on his way back from Michigan - he's about 3 hours behind us.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2011, 12:36:54 PM »

From Cilla:
It did get better in the second half of the book.  I would have liked the book much better if about 100 pages of the middle were cut out

I absolutely agree with you!!!!

I'm glad I finished it.  I actually started liking him after he moved back to North Carolina

I thought that would happen but of course waited for you to come to that conclusion on your own. :)

I'm stuck in the 100-pages of quicksand, but will proceed based on the concurring opinion of DRs Cillaliz and Jane.  But first I have to finish my book group book for this month - The Secret Confessions of Anne Shakespeare by Arliss Ryan.  Arliss was vice-president of my high school graduating class and we went to U of M together.  I recommend this book, as well as her first - The Kingsley House
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2011, 12:49:21 PM »

New York Times:

Mary Cleere Haran

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2011, 12:54:38 PM »

DR TCB the much derided and abysmal TITANIC II seems to be on the SY FY Channel today at 9 p.m EST, so maybe 6 p.m. YOUR time.

Thanks, Jrand, I will see if I can catch it - depending on when the games ends.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

John G.

« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2011, 12:59:36 PM »

Sure are!  So is Julia Ormond but then you might not be far enough into the story to realize this.
I have. This may be the best I've seen her. She was so irritating in her first roles, such as "First Knight," that I have a hard time warming up to her. She has improved.
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2011, 12:59:44 PM »

I remember back in the 60's, our family stopped at the Trees of Mystery on our way south  to Disneyland.  I remember that my mother was outraged when we got back to our car, because while we were touring the area, the staff had wired a T of M bumpersticker to our car.

;D  I don't blame her.

They used to do that to every car that pulled into the parking lot.  You could always tell which Washingtonians had gone to California for summer vacation.
“One thing’s universal,

John G.

« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2011, 01:03:32 PM »

Stopped the movie to make the olive oil brownies that ran in the New York Times this week:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/09/dining/09apperex.html?ref=dining&pagewanted=print

I did half coconut, which I love, and half pecan. I know we've had this discussion before, but a brownie is just not a brownie without nuts.
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2011, 01:11:23 PM »

And we're about to start back up, so...

Laters...

Jose, I am curious about something.  Do you think those people who audition on Sunday have as great a chance as those that audition on Friday or Saurday?  I would think that after listening to 400+ people that it would be tough to get too enthused about anyone.
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2011, 01:14:30 PM »

I have returned from my walk. It is indeed quite pleasant outside but the word is out so every parent is out with their children, their strollers, and their liesurely walking. After an hour I am sick on them blocking the sidewalks, crowding the stores and in general working my last nerve.

I think I will watch the PDQ Bach opera and laugh myself back into a good mood.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2011, 01:17:28 PM »

Looking for a good banana nut bread recipe.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2011, 01:18:43 PM »

Stopped the movie to make the olive oil brownies that ran in the New York Times this week:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/09/dining/09apperex.html?ref=dining&pagewanted=print

I did half coconut, which I love, and half pecan. I know we've had this discussion before, but a brownie is just not a brownie without nuts.

I love not brownies.
“One thing’s universal,

John G.

« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2011, 01:19:08 PM »

I have returned from my walk. It is indeed quite pleasant outside but the word is out so every parent is out with their children, their strollers, and their liesurely walking. After an hour I am sick on them blocking the sidewalks, crowding the stores and in general working my last nerve.

I think I will watch the PDQ Bach opera and laugh myself back into a good mood.
Ah, the humanity.
― Voltaire

Cillaliz

« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2011, 01:19:30 PM »

I am still thinking about the ending of Inception.  I wish my netflix version had the special features, but it doesn't.  I think I may buy this movie.  I have a feeling it's one of those that you see something different every time you watch it

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2011, 01:20:45 PM »

I can not believe that the Super Bowl has a "Red Carpet" this year.
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2011, 01:20:54 PM »

While I have SOCIAL NETWORK on my Netflix queue to watch & it said to be an excellent movie, I have reservations about watching it.  From what I have read Mark Zuckerberg seems to be a good sport regarding the inaccuracies about him especially those that are unkind.

It's fiction, speculation, and artistic and dramatic license! What's there to boycott?

"Mezrich's inability to obtain an interview with Zuckerberg and his reliance on Zuckerberg's bitter ex-business partners for information.........."

And that's a reason to boycott the film? Do you think Richard III would have liked Shakespeare's portrayal of him? I can't can't of a single "based on fact" book or film that isn't subject to its author's/creator's dramatic license. There's very little truth in the film biographies of Fanny Brice or Cole Porter (either version in my opinion), but I don't dislike FUNNY GIRL, MIDNIGHT EXPRESS, or NIGHT AND DAY because they're not accurate; I think they're lousy movies.

I want to see SOCIAL NETWORK because I hear it's a really good film, and I don't care if it doesn't represent Zuckerberg's perspective of what he believes is the truth about Facebook. We all rewrite history to our own advantages, deliberately or not.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2011, 01:22:49 PM »

I can not believe that the Super Bowl has a "Red Carpet" this year.

Catherine Zeta Jones........... Michael Douglas.................... Harrison Ford and Calista........... Jamie Foxx
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2011, 01:26:43 PM »

And that's a reason to boycott the film? Do you think Richard III would have liked Shakespeare's portrayal of him? I can't can't of a single "based on fact" book or film that isn't subject to its author's/creator's dramatic license. There's very little truth in the film biographies of Fanny Brice or Cole Porter (either version in my opinion), but I don't dislike FUNNY GIRL, MIDNIGHT EXPRESS, or NIGHT AND DAY because they're not accurate; I think they're lousy movies.

I want to see SOCIAL NETWORK because I hear it's a really good film, and I don't care if it doesn't represent Zuckerberg's perspective of what he believes is the truth about Facebook. We all rewrite history to our own advantages, deliberately or not.

I don't know the true story of Zuckenberg, so when I watch the move, the accuracy won't bother me one way or another.
“One thing’s universal,

John G.

« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2011, 01:27:31 PM »

Social Network was fun, captured the zeitgeist well and it hit a little too close to home for me because of problems with an ex-business partner of my own. I didn't take it for gospel truth. Too much of it seemed satirical and exaggerated to make its point. But it's well worth seeing.
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2011, 01:27:50 PM »

PDQ Bach made me laugh, DR ELMORE......

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2011, 01:29:04 PM »

Now that was a cute commerical!  Several rats rapping about whether to drive a Kia Soul or a toaster.  I know, I know, but it was cute.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 01:33:05 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2011, 01:37:53 PM »

Now that was a cute commerical!  Several rats rapping about whether to drive a Kia Soul or a toaster.  I know, I know, but it was cute.

Boy, that killed all conversation.
“One thing’s universal,

John G.

« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2011, 01:45:43 PM »

Boy, that killed all conversation.
Rats!
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2011, 01:46:10 PM »

Correction:  DS Rob is about 4.5 hours behind us, because he had to go back for something he forgot at Mary Linda's, then had to stop for gas, then had to stop at Cabela's.  He should be here by halftime...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up