Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SPEAK LOW  (Read 11564 times)

Laura

Re: SPEAK LOW
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2011, 06:37:05 AM »

Break a leg, Edisaurus!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2011, 06:39:01 AM »

Today the Monarch Scientist and I are going to look for monarchs at the river. She was afraid they would have all died in The Big Freeze last week, but she spotted a couple yesterday. I will have a full report this evening, whether you want one or not.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2011, 06:41:49 AM »

Well, yesterday I had my bi-annual stress test.  I managed to pass with flying colors despite stressing out over having to sit waiting for umpteen hours having to watch daytime TV.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Laura

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2011, 06:43:22 AM »

I think that WAS the test, Dan (the Man).

I am glad to hear you passed.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2011, 06:46:14 AM »

Dr Elmore, I think I still owe you a Happy End.

from the Arena Stage? I have it, DR Dan(the Man).
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2011, 06:46:32 AM »

And the word of the day is: PHILOMATH!

And The Song Of The Day Is: TEACH ME TONIGHT

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2011, 06:51:18 AM »

Dr Elmore, I think I still owe you a Happy End.

from the Arena Stage? I have it, DR Dan(the Man).

No, the Meryl Streep one (which isn't actually Meryl Streep, though--I forget who.  But Grayson Hall is still on it.  I'll take another look for it tonight.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2011, 06:52:20 AM »

Thanks, DR Laura.  The treadmill was a breeze compared to having to watch LET'S MAKE A DEAL...
-- Anaïs Nin

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2011, 07:02:00 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2011, 07:03:16 AM »

Vibes for the Fox show, DR Edisaurus. I love that theater. I saw a ballet there (can't remember the title) that Margo Sappington staged to Indigo Girls songs. The band played on stage during the performance. 
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2011, 07:11:36 AM »

TOD:

September Song
Lost in the Stars
You can dream…or you can do.

John G.

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2011, 07:11:47 AM »

TOD: I'm beginning to like Kurt Weill more and more. I, too, wish there was a DVD version of the "Mahagonny" with Teresa Statas. I watched that in high school and was blown away by how good it was. (I don't care if Charles Strouse wanted to throw a chair at her.)

Favorite songs:

Alabama Song
Love Song
Economics
Progress
Green Up Time
Mr. Right
Here I'll Stay
Mack the Knife
Pirate Jenny
Sing Me Not a Ballad
My Ship
Speak Low
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2011, 07:25:12 AM »

TOD: I'm beginning to like Kurt Weill more and more. I, too, wish there was a DVD version of the "Mahagonny" with Teresa Statas. I watched that in high school and was blown away by how good it was. (I don't care if Charles Strouse wanted to throw a chair at her.)

Favorite songs:

Alabama Song
Love Song
Economics
Progress
Green Up Time
Mr. Right
Here I'll Stay
Mack the Knife
Pirate Jenny
Sing Me Not a Ballad
My Ship
Speak Low

In Stratas' defense, since I saw RAGS, she should have thrown the chair at Strouse: the score was fantastic at moments, but the second act was a mess, and that mighty cast worked their butts off. A friend of mine in the show said that after the original director was fired in Boston, Strouse and Schwartz wasted time doing little (how about fixing a few bad lyrics or the second act?). By the time Gene Saks(?) was hired, there was little time for fixes and the show came in with a pretty good first act and a horrible second act. Stratas was amazing, but so were Marcia Lewis, Terence Mann and Lonny Price.  Larry Kert didn't want to play the villain and should have been replaced, and Judy Kuhn has never given a better performance.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2011, 07:28:01 AM »

I agree down the line on "Rags." Strouse has written his own books and lyrics for shows, so he should have been working along with the rest of them. Still, in his defense, outside of the performances (I still remember Judy Kuhn's haunted eyes as she sang the title song on the Tonys), Strouse's music is the best thing about the show.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2011, 07:29:59 AM »

Reading the "Spider-Man" reviews on www.BroadwayStars.com. I love this review from something called TheCraptacular:

"It sucks.

"It sucked after the first preview and after the 30th. It will suck after its first official performance, and after its last, and on its 4,000th, which I’m sure it will play, undoubtedly to a packed house. It sucks worse than anything you’ve seen in ages, and maybe anything you’ve seen in your life. "

Not to say I only like bad reviews. I'm sorry any show received such a notice, but the writing is funny.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2011, 07:35:45 AM »

I agree down the line on "Rags." Strouse has written his own books and lyrics for shows, so he should have been working along with the rest of them. Still, in his defense, outside of the performances (I still remember Judy Kuhn's haunted eyes as she sang the title song on the Tonys), Strouse's music is the best thing about the show.

The book was by Joseph Stein, and there were a couple of clinker numbers:
    Hard to be a Prince
    Yankee Boy
    Wanting

The second act stumbled along, but the "Four Sunny Rooms" duet was delightful. In the first act, "Brand New World" which should have become a huge production number was still delightful enough to make you think the show would be a hit.

John G.

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2011, 07:44:09 AM »

"Three Sunny Rooms." And I do agree.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2011, 07:55:40 AM »

"Three Sunny Rooms." And I do agree.

Three, huh? Still a wonderful number.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2011, 08:03:17 AM »

Hmmmmmmm.......

September Song
Saga of Jenny

I really like the score of THE THREEPENNY OPERA.....

I had a double LP set of a Weill revue that had some nice songs, too.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2011, 08:03:41 AM »

What happened to the other sunny room?

Maybe it was cut out of town.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2011, 08:19:30 AM »

Hard to be a Prince
    Yankee Boy
    Wanting

The second act stumbled along, but the "Four Sunny Rooms" duet was delightful. In the first act, "Brand New World" which should have become a huge production number was still delightful enough to make you think the show would be a hit.

Rags is an important show for me for many reasons.  I played it in 1995 at a local high school.  I fell in love with the score, and with my first ever love.  The relationship lasted a mere 6 weeks because of some immaturity on my part and after the break-up, Rags was difficult to listen to for the past 15 years.  (there's a book in here somewhere) - anyway... recently, that person has appeared in my life again and miraculously, Rags is easier to listen to again, and I'm glad of that because I've missed it.  No - nothing will ever happen again with the first love, but the fact that they have returned to my life is enough.  I happen to love the song "Wanting", it may be crappy, but I love the haunting strings.  Yeah, there's a book here somewhere....

Matthew

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2011, 08:21:33 AM »

Oh, and good morning.

Matthew

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2011, 08:22:36 AM »

TOD - I know very little about Kurt Weil, so I appreciate the postings by DR Elmore.  I do know a little of Three Penny Opera but that's about it.

John G.

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2011, 08:33:56 AM »

Hard to be a Prince
    Yankee Boy
    Wanting

Rags is an important show for me for many reasons.  I played it in 1995 at a local high school.  I fell in love with the score, and with my first ever love.  The relationship lasted a mere 6 weeks because of some immaturity on my part and after the break-up, Rags was difficult to listen to for the past 15 years.  (there's a book in here somewhere) - anyway... recently, that person has appeared in my life again and miraculously, Rags is easier to listen to again, and I'm glad of that because I've missed it.  No - nothing will ever happen again with the first love, but the fact that they have returned to my life is enough.  I happen to love the song "Wanting", it may be crappy, but I love the haunting strings.  Yeah, there's a book here somewhere....

Yes, it would make a great book.
― Voltaire

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2011, 08:40:48 AM »

I only know RAGS from the OCR and the clip that was performed on the Tonys.  That title song was the only part of the score that ever registered with me.  I never understood what all the fuss was about.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2011, 09:04:12 AM »

I do not know from RAGS.

td

• td
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2011, 09:06:28 AM »

I don't LOVE RAGS, but I do like the aforementioned songs and the not-mentioned "Children of the Wind."  (Which I have posted in 'My Videos' on fb).
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2011, 09:08:13 AM »

I just got the word that Miss Molly Brown is in recovery and doing well.  Sometime after noon tomorrow she may return home.  In the meantime, I am in a cleaning frenzy which will include the dvr which has collected shows since the beginning of December.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

FJL

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2011, 09:08:15 AM »

Loads of vibes to Edisaurus!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2011, 09:13:16 AM »

What happened to the other sunny room?

Maybe it was cut out of town.

DR JRand60, I just spoke to Peter Schickele and he is thrilled to have a fan of figaro in Indianapolis. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up