Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SPEAK LOW  (Read 11561 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SPEAK LOW
« on: February 08, 2011, 12:49:24 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes spoke low, and now it is time for you to post until the low cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: SPEAK LOW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 12:50:16 AM »

And the word of the day is: PHILOMATH!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 01:28:13 AM »

Topic of the Day:  I don't actually know a lot of Kurt Weill songs, I mainly know of his shows.  Anyway, here are most of my favorite songs that he's written:

I'm a Stranger Here Myself
It Never Was You
Lost in the Stars
Mack the Knife
The Saga of Jenny
Speak Low
Surabaya Johnny
Tchaikovsky
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 02:39:21 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 04:39:06 AM »

good day.
day off pacl with MD appointment. Thank god I spread them out as I did because I forgot that I booked them for today
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 04:48:06 AM »

TOD

Cry The Beloved Country
Dr. Crippen
Economics
Green Up Time
Here I'll Stay
Italy In Technicolor
Lost In The Stars
Love Song
My Ship
Saga of Jenny
September Song
Tchaikowsky
This Is New
To Love You And To Lose You

and Mack The Knife depending on the English translation of the lyrics
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 05:39:43 AM »

Good morning, all! DR TCB, thank you for saving yesterday's number of posts. It was an Olympian feat and you were in the right neck of the woods to accomplish that,

Last night's weird dream was about army shows to boost morale and I was in charge; I had a staff including Howard McGillin (no, Fred, I am not making this up!) and most of the dream was about looking for comedy writers.

Today, back to Toyland for more edits with Mr Kennon. I look forward to it.

In 1983, I worked on a fantastic concert of ONE TOUCH OF VENUS for the New Amsterdam Theatre Co,, produced by the late wonderful Bill Tynes. Paula Laurence, who played the comedy lead role of Molly, played the role again, and she was very funny ("If anyone needs me, I'll be down at the corner having my tongue torn out."). Paige O'Hara, whose then-husband had an option on the show for a revival, was a Venus much like Mary Martin, Leroy Reams was the barber and object of her affection Rodney Hatch, Ron Raines was the art collector Savory Whitelaw, Susan Lucci was the bitchy fiancee and Peggy Cass was her mother. It was quite good and very very funny. Encores! did it several years later with Melissa Errico as Venus, but I don't fnd the rest of the cast nearly as good. There's been a complete recordng of the show with Errico under construction from John Yap for around ten years now, and I dount it will ever be released.

John McGlinn did a complete performance with Paige O'Hara and Kim Criswell as Molly for the BBC radio series of complete musicals and I have the whole performance on CD if anyone would like a copy.

TOD:
I wish the Metropolitan Opera broadcast of THE RISE AND FALL OF THE CITY OF MAHAGONNY with Teresa Stratas would be released on single DVD (it's in a $200+ set of Levine performances); Weill's score is amazing, with two of my favorite songs "Havanna Song" and "Alabama Song."
"Mandalay Song," "Surabaya Johnny" from HAPPY END
"J'attends un navire" and "Le roi d/Aquitaine" from MARIE GALANTE.
"One Life To Live" from LADY IN THE DARK, although the three complete dream sequences are fantastic mini-operas
"Ballad of the Robbers" and "It Never Was You" from KNICKERBOCKER HOLIDAY; I cannot wait for the new recording!
We still need a complete recording of the unexpurgated Marc Blitzstein version of THREEPENNY OPERA.

A major Kurt Weill disaster was the day EMI pulled the plug on the John McGlinn recording of a complete LOVE LIFE, which was cast and set to go. In EMI's defense, dealing with McGlinn must have been horrible, no matter how many diva conductors were on their roster.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 05:56:42 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 05:48:01 AM »

I'm posting some of my favorite Weill recordings:
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 05:53:11 AM »

I don't like Maria Friedman as Liza Elliot, but the National Theatre recording is the only one with the complete dream sequences.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 05:55:36 AM »

Since time immemorial music publishers have found lots of methods to ring up sales on their composers' music. This album is a plethora of the dance band arrangements made from Weill's scores from the 1920s through the early 1950s. Weill died in 1950. It's a lot of fun.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 06:01:50 AM »

Hello, all! Sorry I've been so E&T lately; I have a job that's sucking all my energy but it will be over with soon. And our Jews and Baseball premiere is tonight at The Fox Theatre, a 5,000 seat movie palace, so it's been taking a lot of energy using all my skills to get as many people and as much publicity as possible.

Now I'm very tired!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 06:03:12 AM »

Weill's ballet THE SEVEN DEADLY SINS OF THE MIDDLE CLASS gets its only English recording with Marianne Faithfull, whose voice is a bit ragged these days and she uses the transpositions made for Lenya in the 1950s, but it's a great score and she finishes the recording with a group of Weill songs.

In songs, I love the two Stratas albums, who's an amazing performer. I much prefer her to the over-rated Ute Lemper, whose ego shines through everything she sings - I suspect it's a form of Brechtian alienation and she sure alienated me! - and I find her steely invulnerability hard to take. I do admire Lemper's fluency with German, English and French but I listen to her grudgingly.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 06:05:06 AM by elmore3003 »

Edisaurus

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 06:04:27 AM »

TOD: September Song, Ballad of Mack the Knife, and Van Dyke Park's contributions to the LOST IN THE STARS CD that Hal Willner produced.

We just interviewed Hal last week for our new film. I wish I could have been there for that, but he did autograph a copy of his Disney tribute: STAY AWAKE, one of my favorite albums ever.

I'm glad to learn more about Kurt Weill; I listened to THREEPENNY OPERA a lot on college and haven't heard much else!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 06:04:39 AM »

Hello, all! Sorry I've been so E&T lately; I have a job that's sucking all my energy but it will be over with soon. And our Jews and Baseball premiere is tonight at The Fox Theatre, a 5,000 seat movie palace, so it's been taking a lot of energy using all my skills to get as many people and as much publicity as possible.

Now I'm very tired!

Break a leg!

Edisaurus

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 06:05:58 AM »

Thank you, Elmore!!

Ginny

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 06:08:16 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  It's very cold here in SW Ohio, but at least it looks like a quiet week, precipitation-wise.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 06:09:14 AM »

DR Edi - mega-vibes for a sparkling Atlanta opening at the Fox!  Don't forget to look up my friend (and DR Elmore's) Becki
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Edisaurus

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 06:09:39 AM »

Oh, I also like the opening of QUIZ SHOW, which features Lyle Lovett doing a dreamy version of Mack the Knife with surreal images of the show's audience.

Edisaurus

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 06:10:18 AM »

Beck will have to find me! 

Unless it's Glen Beck...

Edisaurus

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 06:10:34 AM »

Thanks for the vibes, Ginny!

Edisaurus

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 06:12:22 AM »

I would love to come north and hear Elmore's JUBILEE!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 06:12:40 AM »

@ @ @ @ @  OPENING NIGHT VIBES FOR DR EDISAURUS  @ @ @ @ @
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Edisaurus

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 06:19:00 AM »

I have no idea what do-mi-do duds to wear to this, but the reception looks pretty cool; celebrity chefs presenting dishes with wine pairings. I should definitely wear something dark!

The reception tickets are $250 apiece  so needless to say, none of MY friends will be there. The producer, director and I each got a pair of tickets. I insisted that the owner of the post house get a pair, too, but couldn't get them for my asst. editor, online editor or sound mixer. So it feels sort of elitist and I don't even know if they're roping off a special VIP section for these people or what, since they'll be up there at the live auction when most people are finding seats. I think I'll skip my chance to win a trip to NY for Regis and Kelly and find my peeps downstairs!

I did win tickets for the reception at a silent auction last year, so I am able to at least take my mom and Naz. $50 for both---I thought that was a deal!

Edisaurus

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 06:20:17 AM »

Thanks, DtM!

We have a tech check at 2:30. Hope it sounds better than the last film we premiered there! And I hope they screen on HD cam!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 06:26:12 AM »

I would love to come north and hear Elmore's JUBILEE!

I'm expcting it to be rather bad, given what I've seen of other OLO productions!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 06:30:58 AM »

TOD:

Mandalay Song
Alabama Song
Surabaya Johnny
Priate Jenny
Speak Low
Lost In The Stars
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 06:31:45 AM »

Dr Elmore, I think I still owe you a Happy End.
-- Anaïs Nin

Kerry

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 06:33:26 AM »

Break legs, Amy!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 06:34:31 AM »

TOD: 
Speak Low
It Never Was You
My Ship (although it depends on the version)
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 06:35:33 AM »

Whatever you wear, DR Edisaurus, make sure you accessorize with rhinestone sunglasses and a cigarette holder so that the crowd will know that you are movie people.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up