Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LATE SHOW  (Read 22846 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE LATE SHOW
« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2004, 06:39:05 PM »

I knew next to nothing about Judaism (having been brought up in a very assimilated household) until my now ex-husband decided he wanted to convert and leave his Methodist past behind. I had to attend conversion classes with him. Actually, everyone thought I was the one converting because I don't look Jewish and he did. Anyway, I learned quite a bit. And now I can put it to some use in educating DR Francois.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 06:40:07 PM by Panni »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2004, 06:39:07 PM »

I believe you are correct Panni.  At one time I knew the reason behind that, possibly something to do with respect.

François I use to speed read, now I speed watch bad movies.  Of course you miss much more when you speed watch, but then that is the point.  :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2004, 06:41:37 PM »

New entry is now up.

Jane

« Reply #123 on: May 22, 2004, 06:41:50 PM »

The mouse keeps sticking and by the time I could get to the post button, several more posts had been made.

Jane

« Reply #124 on: May 22, 2004, 06:44:08 PM »

DRJAY, I will be watching Trembling Before G-d on our local ABC tv tonight...looking foward to seeing how the topic is protrayed.

I check, long-shot I know, and we can't get it. :(

Panni

« Reply #125 on: May 22, 2004, 06:45:01 PM »

PAGE FIVE!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #126 on: May 22, 2004, 06:45:20 PM »

Panni, you're partially correct.  Actually in prayer one will usually see "Adonai" (My lord) in place of G-d.  Some here with good memories will recall the priceless comment Gabe made when he was quite young and had picked up (where?  where do children learn these things?  certainly not from their parents!   ::) ) using "G-d" conversationally and I told him we shouldn't be calling "G-d" when it wasn't really important, and that's why we said "Adonai" in prayer.  At which point Gabe, who at that point was quite enamored of a certain large green Japanese lizard/dinosaur, said, "I guess we should say Adonai-zilla, then, too, shouldn't we, Dad?"  Out of the mouths....
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

François de Paris

« Reply #127 on: May 22, 2004, 06:46:14 PM »

Thanks for the answer Dear Reader Panni....
I knew it had something to do with that but then people of that obedience but from another "culture", how do they write His Name???
Di-u, De-....

That sounds too PC to me!!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 06:49:05 PM by François de Paris »

François de Paris

« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2004, 06:48:29 PM »

The mouse keeps sticking and by the time I could get to the post button, several more posts had been made.

All that sounds so KINKY to me!!! ;)

Tomovoz

« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2004, 06:51:38 PM »

Cute story JMK.
DR Jane. Very much a long shot!  ABC TV here is "Australian Broadcasting Commission" - the equivalent of the BBC in Britain. Beekay lives near (4 or 5 hours away) me.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 06:52:09 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #130 on: May 22, 2004, 06:52:52 PM »

Juliana's entry is very sweet. And where are the pictures we were promised, huh?

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #131 on: May 22, 2004, 06:53:23 PM »

And to delve even further into this (this is actually one of my little specialties, combining my loves of history, language and religion), the "real" name of G-d is unpronounceable (unless you're a Levi and know the secret handshake):  YHVH, which if you transliterate into English, comes frighteningly close to my first name (a longstanding joke in my family for my prediliction to be in charge).  This unpronounceable word also transmogrifies into various romance languages, including jefe (don't know how to make accents, sorry) in Spanish and, of course, chief.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

« Reply #132 on: May 22, 2004, 06:53:41 PM »

Well it's not, it is frustrating.  That combined with the fact I had a tick crawling around my belly tonight.  Last night I had one as well.  I hope Keith is enjoying all the body checks I keep making him do on me.

Jane

« Reply #133 on: May 22, 2004, 06:55:31 PM »

Tomovoz I said it was a long shot  ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: May 22, 2004, 06:56:29 PM »

Pictures are on sis's camera - she'll be getting them shortly and then I'll post them.

Jane

« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2004, 07:00:37 PM »

I'm also looking forward to them.

François de Paris

« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2004, 07:01:10 PM »

You mean "jéfé", Dear reader JMK?

"Chef" in French, close to "chief", which come from Latin Caput, capitis -- head -- (capital, chapeau....) if i'm correct!....

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2004, 07:02:28 PM »

Dear S. Woody White:

While I could provide you with a list of titles, you do have a lovely novel entitled Kritzer Time, which you have been avoiding like the plague for what, close to three months?   Why don't you try reading the book - all you answers lie within.
I was asking for a list in regards to our conversation here today, about what shows were available to be seen when you were in your teens, so that we could compare those shows with those that the current teen crop seems to be flocking to.  I'm trying to find out if the type of story might have had some influence on the audience.  If you really want me to contribute to the current conversation in a timely manner, than you're just going to have to submit the list; I don't have time to read "fiction" right now, as I'm spending most of my time studying for my new job.  (Turns out, the company that owns the company I'll be working for also owns Proctor Silex and Hamilton Beach.  Which I will be selling.  That's a lot of product info to learn.)

Besides, it's der Brucer's copy of the book.  You should be complaining about how HE hasn't read it yet, not ME!  And, as far as I know, he hasn't read the other two books yet, either.

:-*
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

François de Paris

« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2004, 07:03:24 PM »

Well it's not, it is frustrating.  That combined with the fact I had a tick crawling around my belly tonight.  Last night I had one as well.  I hope Keith is enjoying all the body checks I keep making him do on me.

AND.... you don't call that kinky???? ??? :o

;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2004, 07:04:03 PM »

S. Woody has left the room.  Perhaps to read a book?  Doubtful.
No, reading product manuals and corporate reports.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 08:54:23 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2004, 07:13:29 PM »

New Juliana will be up in ten minutes.
I certainly hope so...doesn't she have a show to perform in?   ;D

Jane

« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2004, 07:13:38 PM »

AND.... you don't call that kinky???? ??? :o

;D

I can't believe I said that  :-[ ;D  Must have been the 10 sips of wine I had with dinner.

François de Paris

« Reply #142 on: May 22, 2004, 07:28:13 PM »

Of course!!!

Next thing we'll know is that you blame it on the French wine!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: May 22, 2004, 07:29:26 PM »

I thought we HAD this conversation already, S. Woody, about it being der Brucer's copy.  In fact, I know we did.  My question remains simple - why even buy the book if you don't care to read it?  I really do find it irksome, which probably delights you, so go ahead and be delighted.  My memory is that you enjoyed the first two, so I just guess I'm at a loss.  I understand your prepping for your job, but that is new and I do believe you've had the book for quite some time.  Ultimately, it matters not whether you read it or you don't read it - I just find it extremely peculiar that you pay money for something and then it just sits there like so much fish.  I'll tell you what -you can even return it and I'll refund your money - that way, neither you nor I ever have to think about it again.  How's that?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 07:30:15 PM by bk »

François de Paris

« Reply #144 on: May 22, 2004, 07:29:59 PM »

What happened to the... old Juliana???? ;)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #145 on: May 22, 2004, 07:38:18 PM »

I enjoyed I WAS A MALE WAR BRIDE (had not seen it before but knew it to be good), but did Howard Hawks keep making the same comedy movie scenario over and over again during his long career? It was BRINGING UP BABY with even the same leading man, and I also couldn't help remembering the know-it-all character played by Paula Prentiss in MAN'S FAVORITE SPORT which is ALSO the same basic movie: pushy woman maneuvers a socially inept man into love and/or matrimony. Cute, delightful, but each reminiscent of something better which preceded it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #146 on: May 22, 2004, 07:40:23 PM »

SInce Fox isn't breaking its neck to release any Betty  Grable or Alice Faye films on DVD, I have to be thankful for the Fox Movie Channel which shows them in good enough quality prints to dupe DVDs worth keeping. Got HELLO, FRISCO, HELLO last night.

Matt H.

« Reply #147 on: May 22, 2004, 07:45:14 PM »

I was just telling a 43-year old friend how happy I was about getting a beautiful copy of HELLO, FRISCO HELLO dubbed to a DVD, and she said, "Who's Alice Faye?"

I guess I take far too much for granted.

François de Paris

« Reply #148 on: May 22, 2004, 07:47:46 PM »

I've always been fond of Alice Faye, dear Reader MattH.

And I think she was a better singer than what most people might remember....
So many "hits", should I say standards?, she introduced!

François de Paris

« Reply #149 on: May 22, 2004, 07:52:57 PM »

I was just telling a 43-year old friend how happy I was about getting a beautiful copy of HELLO, FRISCO HELLO dubbed to a DVD, and she said, "Who's Alice Faye?"

I guess I take far too much for granted.

Did you tell your friend: "You'll Never Know"???

Obviously, she knows what a DVD is!! ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 07:55:37 PM by François de Paris »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up