Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE GOOSE IS GOOD FOR THE GANDER  (Read 14825 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE GOOSE IS GOOD FOR THE GANDER
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2011, 08:58:47 AM »

DR MBarnum - The 8th Annual Persian Day Parade is taking place in NYC today. -Is there any sort of Persian Day/Persian New Year (Nowruz) taking place in your neck of the woods?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2011, 09:13:44 AM »

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2011, 09:33:37 AM »

...And I'm still trying to figure out exactly what those costumes are (too). ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2011, 09:40:51 AM »

I love SUNDAY IN NEW YORK....especially the game in the taxi, which sort of reminds me of the word game in YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU...

And the last word is Sex.....everybody got Sex?  And now I'll read Mrs. Kirby's answers.
Sex - Wall Street....

Sex....Wall Street....Miriam whatever do you mean?

Well I don't know....it's just that you're always taking about Wall Street even.....

I don't like this game.

Has anybody seen or read the play version of SUNDAY IN NEW YORK?

Does all the action take place on one set (i.e. the apartment), or are there other settings?

I have this memory that there are several sets. Sondra Lee played several roles, including that of a Chinese waitress in a restaurant.

http://www.dramatists.com/cgi-bin/db/single.asp?key=1631

Thank you.
You can dream…or you can do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2011, 09:41:45 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Got up at nine and had an e-mail from the other blurber who tells me he never got the e-mail with the book.  Thank you once again both AOL and Mac Mail.  Wherever the disconnect is it's disgusting.  It's certainly in my sent folder dated nine days ago.  I resent from gmail and will no longer send anything important from AOL and Mac Mail ever again.

FJL

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2011, 09:44:01 AM »

Sometimes Mac Mail delays have prior emails getting to people after the more recent email. 

High-jinx natcherly ensue.

MBarnum

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2011, 10:04:21 AM »

DR MBarnum - The 8th Annual Persian Day Parade is taking place in NYC today. -Is there any sort of Persian Day/Persian New Year (Nowruz) taking place in your neck of the woods?

We have very few Persians in Salem, except of the cat variety, so far as I know...at least I have only met one person from Iran since I've lived here. There is a larger community of them up towards where JMK lives, however. In fact ther is a nice little store just blocks from JMK's house which is run by a gentleman who moved to the US from Iran back in the early 1970s. I  bought some CDs and some desserts from him, while my very bigoted brother-in-law refused to set foot in the shop.

MBarnum

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2011, 10:05:46 AM »

BK, I think I am going to particularly enjoy this newest book of yours! Of course I still need to read the last two Hofstetter books first, probably.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2011, 10:10:10 AM »

BK, I think I am going to particularly enjoy this newest book of yours! Of course I still need to read the last two Hofstetter books first, probably.

Mikey, I know it's difficult reading ink when you're accustomed to crayon, but you really must make an effort.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2011, 10:11:18 AM »

Audition vibes for JRand.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2011, 10:11:34 AM »

We have very few Persians in Salem, except of the cat variety, so far as I know...at least I have only met one person from Iran since I've lived here. There is a larger community of them up towards where JMK lives, however. In fact ther is a nice little store just blocks from JMK's house which is run by a gentleman who moved to the US from Iran back in the early 1970s. I  bought some CDs and some desserts from him, while my very bigoted brother-in-law refused to set foot in the shop.

There is a very large Middle Eastern, mostly Muslim, community nearby, including the Portland Mosque where the sleeper cell was uncovered after 9/11.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2011, 10:12:31 AM »

DR JRand,

I talked to Ms. Jewell Lain yesterday and she was mentioning that after she made SUICIDE BATTALION she was offered leads in a bunch of "10 day pictures" as she called them...meaning, of course, low budget films. She said that one of them was "ATTACK OF THE GIANT HUMAN, which an actress named Allison Hayes ended up doing. Allison and I had the same agent, Jack Pomeroy." She said.

We started to talk about other things, and I had planned to ask her more about this comment and if she knew Allison, but forgot. I will try to remember to ask her next time I chat with her.

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2011, 10:13:50 AM »

Just remember DR Elmore, I am going to be making your nightmares a reality next April.

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2011, 10:14:15 AM »

JRand, vibes for a successful audition!

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2011, 10:19:07 AM »

Cillaliz, scary warnings from last night. I am glad I live in a place that rarely gets such storms.

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2011, 10:21:32 AM »

DR George, a movie that I believe you were serching for a few years back, RING OF FIRE (1961) is airing in TCM soon, for your FYI.

I remember liking this movie a lot (and of course, it was filmed in Oregon). I have already set my DVR!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2011, 10:44:55 AM »

MBarnum, you'll definitely want to read the previous Hofstetter, as characters from that return in the new book.

John G.

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2011, 10:50:07 AM »

And those are the three "Murder at ..." books on the Kritzerland site? Just checking to be sure.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2011, 10:50:40 AM »

Wonderful new review on amazon for the last book:

5.0 out of 5 stars Mel, Woody and Bruce, April 10, 2011
By Joe Cascone - See all my reviews
This review is from: "There's Mel, There's Woody, and There's You": My Life in the Slow Lane (Paperback)
For anyone who has, had or is considering a career in show-biz, this book should be required reading. Funny, tough, moving and always emotional, it chronicles the reality of the beast that is a life in the arts. Bruce Kimmel has seen it all and done it all, and now tells it all. "There's Mel, There's Woody and There's You" is a wonderful expose of a type of show-biz that no longer exists, as much as those of us who work in the industry wish it did. Much delightful insight is shared with Bruce's interaction with some legends of the golden ages of Hollywood and Broadway as he managed to (almost) always stay employed in some aspect of show business, with nary a dull moment in between gigs. Hilarious and heart-wrenching behind-the-scenes descriptions of many of his projects are shared as his passion for his art forms are met with a roller-coaster of receptions from studio heads, audiences and his peers. Nowhere is this more evident than with his cult film "The First Nudie Musical." And we always wind up sharing his joy and frustration through the pages as he parlays the nice successes and accolades he has received, only to turn on a dime and be dashed by another near-miss via the idiocy of some incapable studio boss, then turn again as he survives another setback and carries on. At last we are able to see what a very realistic life in "the biz" is like, something that has previously managed to escape being documented -- at least as honestly and passionately as this!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2011, 10:51:38 AM »

And those are the three "Murder at ..." books on the Kritzerland site? Just checking to be sure.

Yes, the three previous Hofstetters are Murder At Hollywood High, Murder At The Grove, and Murder At The Hollywood Historical Society.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2011, 10:53:50 AM »

Just remember DR Elmore, I am going to be making your nightmares a reality next April.

I've already scheduled that month out of town. I'm not sure where I'll be but it will be anywhere but Manhattan!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2011, 11:00:54 AM »

DR George, a movie that I believe you were serching for a few years back, RING OF FIRE (1961) is airing in TCM soon, for your FYI.

I remember liking this movie a lot (and of course, it was filmed in Oregon). I have already set my DVR!

I remember when they made this one.  I was still living in Seattle and was very taken by Andrew Stone's work and how he shot everything on location.

I love THE LAST VOYAGE.

I'm sure RING OF FIRE will wind up in Warner Archive one of these days.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2011, 11:03:12 AM »

I just finished typing the first act of (Spencer) TRACY into my Mac.

Not easy on my back.

John G.

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2011, 11:33:53 AM »

I'm finishing off a pint of Vanilla Peanut Butter Cup ice cream, which is welcome on a hot Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately, the bird wants some and can't have it because of the chocolate. Or maybe that is fortunate for me
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2011, 11:35:07 AM »

From DR Jennifer:
RE: DR Jane's probs at the hotel.  Things happen. But when you check and re-check and they tell you things are fine and then you go to check out and they give you a warm ice pack ... well they should be happy that DR Jane was there instead of me. Because i would have demanded that they get me a cold ice pack immediately

LOL They couldn't do the impossible.  They did give me a styrofoam chest, cold food is delivered in, and filled it with ice.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2011, 11:38:02 AM »

I remember when they made this one.  I was still living in Seattle and was very taken by Andrew Stone's work and how he shot everything on location.

I love THE LAST VOYAGE.

I'm sure RING OF FIRE will wind up in Warner Archive one of these days.

Yes, his location shooting inside of Florence Henderson's bustle on SONG OF NORWAY is legendary.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2011, 11:38:07 AM »

Scary night DR Cilla.  I'm glad the tornado didn't hit you.

Driving on Thursday I commented we were going through some extremely hard hail.  Shortly before the hail we passed two large trucks, one on the left side of the highway & one on the right, that had gone off the road.  It seems we just missed a tornado.

Jane

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2011, 11:46:12 AM »

AUDITION VIBES FOR DR JRAND!!!

Jane

« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »

Wonderful new review on amazon for the last book:

5.0 out of 5 stars Mel, Woody and Bruce, April 10, 2011
By Joe Cascone - See all my reviews
This review is from: "There's Mel, There's Woody, and There's You": My Life in the Slow Lane (Paperback)
For anyone who has, had or is considering a career in show-biz, this book should be required reading. Funny, tough, moving and always emotional, it chronicles the reality of the beast that is a life in the arts. Bruce Kimmel has seen it all and done it all, and now tells it all. "There's Mel, There's Woody and There's You" is a wonderful expose of a type of show-biz that no longer exists, as much as those of us who work in the industry wish it did. Much delightful insight is shared with Bruce's interaction with some legends of the golden ages of Hollywood and Broadway as he managed to (almost) always stay employed in some aspect of show business, with nary a dull moment in between gigs. Hilarious and heart-wrenching behind-the-scenes descriptions of many of his projects are shared as his passion for his art forms are met with a roller-coaster of receptions from studio heads, audiences and his peers. Nowhere is this more evident than with his cult film "The First Nudie Musical." And we always wind up sharing his joy and frustration through the pages as he parlays the nice successes and accolades he has received, only to turn on a dime and be dashed by another near-miss via the idiocy of some incapable studio boss, then turn again as he survives another setback and carries on. At last we are able to see what a very realistic life in "the biz" is like, something that has previously managed to escape being documented -- at least as honestly and passionately as this!

:)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2011, 12:01:17 PM »

It
It's Mary & Joseph - it is so you can turn your lawn geese into a nativity scene -----obviously you have not been living in the suburbs!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up