Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: PUTTING THE BOOK TO BED  (Read 19733 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: PUTTING THE BOOK TO BED
« Reply #150 on: April 17, 2011, 05:45:48 PM »

I like not having a sales tax, especially when purchasing a car. 

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #151 on: April 17, 2011, 05:45:58 PM »

The author Guest of Honor was Joe Haldeman - the author of (amongst other things) The Forever War

He had been booked  over  a year ago  however,  he unfortunately was unable to attend due to some recent surgery --- so they held his Q & A sessions & readings by Skype.

I guess word had gotten out about his absence but not about the Skype  since only a handful of people showed up --- as a result Vixdad & I  and a few other people had the great pleasure of having     two hour long conversations with a  very interesting author and heard the first chapter of his newest novel due to be released in December. 
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jane

« Reply #152 on: April 17, 2011, 05:46:24 PM »

DR George have a fantastic show!!!

Jane

« Reply #153 on: April 17, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »

The author Guest of Honor was Joe Haldeman - the author of (amongst other things) The Forever War

He had been booked  over  a year ago  however,  he unfortunately was unable to attend due to some recent surgery --- so they held his Q & A sessions & readings by Skype.

I guess word had gotten out about his absence but not about the Skype  since only a handful of people showed up --- as a result Vixdad & I  and a few other people had the great pleasure of having     two hour long conversations with a  very interesting author and heard the first chapter of his newest novel due to be released in December. 

Nice for you. :)

vixmom

« Reply #154 on: April 17, 2011, 05:49:12 PM »

Tax return completed (federal).  We have till May 1st for the state return.  Why rush?

(Washington state doesn't have a state return). 

We should have moved to Washington instead of Oregon.  Maybe our next move ;)

You, however, don't have sales tax.

we have sales tax and a state tax and (I believe this ti be true) the highest  property taxes in the nation

Jane

« Reply #155 on: April 17, 2011, 05:52:15 PM »

Ouch!!!

vixmom

« Reply #156 on: April 17, 2011, 05:53:55 PM »

50 Years ago today, the ground was broken to build the Space Needle.  Happy Birthday!

24 years ago today  Vixdad and I were in England celebrating our engagement at a party hosted by his Mum in her restaurant  on the Royal Showgrounds at Stoneleigh

That sounds like a very nice way to celebrate ones engagement. :)

it was!!  Since we were being married in the US there was no way for all the family and friends from Vixdad's side to attend  so we essentially had a wedding reception complete with a 2 tiered cake,  and a magnificent spread.   Only time in my life I have ever been served  (or even seen) Beef Wellington - and that was only one of about 18 entrees available

vixmom

« Reply #157 on: April 17, 2011, 05:58:40 PM »

Tax return completed (federal).  We have till May 1st for the state return.  Why rush?

I'll trade. ;)  The people who live in Vancouver, WA have it made.  No income tax at home & they shop over the border.

When we were in Seattle a few years back we found out showing our Oregon driver's license meant we didn't have to pay a sales tax.

In New York if you buy things out of state and transport them back to New York  you are supposed to declare them and pay the sales tax to the state

I am not sure exactly how the process works though as I have never, NEVER EVER  purchased anything outside of the great State of New York and transported it back here

vixmom

« Reply #158 on: April 17, 2011, 05:58:47 PM »

NEVER!!!

vixmom

« Reply #159 on: April 17, 2011, 06:02:20 PM »

Nice for you. :)

It really was.  This convention has provide us with many nice opportunities to have conversation with people we never otherwise could have met

A few years ago a had a very interesting conversation with George Takei about his childhood growing up in a internment camp during WWII 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:58:28 PM by vixmom »

Jane

« Reply #160 on: April 17, 2011, 06:02:37 PM »

50 Years ago today, the ground was broken to build the Space Needle.  Happy Birthday!

24 years ago today  Vixdad and I were in England celebrating our engagement at a party hosted by his Mum in her restaurant  on the Royal Showgrounds at Stoneleigh

it was!!  Since we were being married in the US there was no way for all the family and friends from Vixdad's side to attend  so we essentially had a wedding reception complete with a 2 tiered cake,  and a magnificent spread.   Only time in my life I have ever been served  (or even seen) Beef Wellington - and that was only one of about 18 entrees available

Was it a traditional English wedding fruit cake?  Do you have any photos you can easily share?

vixmom

« Reply #161 on: April 17, 2011, 06:02:45 PM »

OH!!  Upstairs Upstairs is on!!

Jane

« Reply #162 on: April 17, 2011, 06:03:08 PM »

I'll trade. ;)  The people who live in Vancouver, WA have it made.  No income tax at home & they shop over the border.

When we were in Seattle a few years back we found out showing our Oregon driver's license meant we didn't have to pay a sales tax.

In New York if you buy things out of state and transport them back to New York  you are supposed to declare them and pay the sales tax to the state

I am not sure exactly how the process works though as I have never, NEVER EVER  purchased anything outside of the great State of New York and transported it back here

;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #163 on: April 17, 2011, 06:05:11 PM »

Well, instead of a nap I went to Panera with Paul and had a wonderful Mocha with a double chocolate brownie.  Then I went for a drive, did a little pruning of dead wood in the back yard and finally sat down to relax.

There has been a Panera here in Olympia for a few months, but I never went until last weekend.  I got a sandwich and it was quite good.  I'll definitely be going back again. :D

The only one I've been to was the one in Pittsburgh near Craig.  I really liked the cookies.

I tried the soup at the one in Lakewood, many years ago, and I was not impressed.  I am going to have to try them again for a sandwich.

which soup?  I like their wild rice chicken soup  and their tomato soup  alot

I don't remember.   I am thinking Clam Chowder.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Cillaliz

« Reply #164 on: April 17, 2011, 06:06:53 PM »

And another "quote" error just occurred.

Ginny will never know the scintillating response I had about the length of her nap.  :)

You can still post what you think without quoting

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #165 on: April 17, 2011, 06:07:11 PM »

Here's a fun clip of Twiggy and Tommy Tune from "My One and Only." I know a few have talked about them recently in "The Boy Friend" recently.

http://blogs.courant.com/curtain/2011/04/youtube-weekend-fave-25.html
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #166 on: April 17, 2011, 06:10:04 PM »

I swear, Cilla, you are a better cheerleader than I ever could hope to be.
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #167 on: April 17, 2011, 06:14:15 PM »

Well, instead of a nap I went to Panera with Paul and had a wonderful Mocha with a double chocolate brownie.  Then I went for a drive, did a little pruning of dead wood in the back yard and finally sat down to relax.

There has been a Panera here in Olympia for a few months, but I never went until last weekend.  I got a sandwich and it was quite good.  I'll definitely be going back again. :D

Get the Panera rewards card, or whatever they call it.  You get free stuff very quickly.  I seem to get something about every 3rd or 4th time I go there

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: April 17, 2011, 06:22:53 PM »

Back from a fun dinner at Casa Vega - I ate my usual two cheese enchiladas and one beef taco, but I jogged today so I'm probably okay.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #169 on: April 17, 2011, 06:25:16 PM »

Here's a fun clip of Twiggy and Tommy Tune from "My One and Only." I know a few have talked about them recently in "The Boy Friend" recently.

I prefer BOY WANTED.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: April 17, 2011, 06:26:05 PM »

Work session was really fun.  A couple of songs were easy to cut - we still have a couple too many, but we'll start figuring out the structure and once we start that process I think it will be pretty easy to figure out what else has to go.  I started the session by playing the new song - which I wrote specifically for the twelve-year-old - I felt we needed something that really set up the show and her in a friendly and fun way - something that would say what she's about, get a laugh in once section, and just be endearing.  Since her name is Melody, I'd already decided we'd call the show Melodyland, and that's the title of what will now be her opening number, because she and her folks loved it.  Now I have to record it for her, and have it taken down because I don't do music notation.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #171 on: April 17, 2011, 06:32:26 PM »

I prefer BOY WANTED.
I'm sure you do.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

vixmom

« Reply #172 on: April 17, 2011, 07:03:39 PM »

it was!!  Since we were being married in the US there was no way for all the family and friends from Vixdad's side to attend  so we essentially had a wedding reception complete with a 2 tiered cake,  and a magnificent spread.   Only time in my life I have ever been served  (or even seen) Beef Wellington - and that was only one of about 18 entrees available

Was it a traditional English wedding fruit cake?  Do you have any photos you can easily share?

I do not remember the type of cake -  pictures are a bit of a sore point -  my MIL wanted to hire a professional photographer - my FIL , a keen photographer was insulted by this so she cancelled the photographer - and he took a couple of hundred photos of the party

He neglected to photograph the cake, the flowers, the buffet, my MIL , Vixdad or me

We do have dozens of pictures of the guests and the staff   

Jane

« Reply #173 on: April 17, 2011, 07:07:08 PM »

I would hate to have been in the room when your MIL first saw the photos.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #174 on: April 17, 2011, 07:07:13 PM »

I prefer BOY WANTED.
I'm sure you do.

:o :o :o
“One thing’s universal,

Laura

« Reply #175 on: April 17, 2011, 07:18:10 PM »

You may not have the pictures, Vixmom, but you have a great story!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

vixmom

« Reply #176 on: April 17, 2011, 07:18:14 PM »

There was a young, LA based  actor at the convention named Adam Briggs - he conducted a class on cold reading.  We talked after the class for a while.  I recommended he read BK's last book -   

vixmom

« Reply #177 on: April 17, 2011, 07:19:15 PM »

I would hate to have been in the room when your MIL first saw the photos.

yes -  I must say, she was not best pleased

Jane

« Reply #178 on: April 17, 2011, 07:24:56 PM »

I've been following a story on Facebook of the attempts of a group of volunteers in Ontario who are braving the cold to try and catch a lost Bernese Mountain Dog.  She has been missing since December or January.  Recent sightings increased the efforts to find her.  A group of people are attempting to hold a perimeter while dog trackers search inside of it.  She has been sighted a number of times tonight but hasn't been caught.  I guess she is too scared to go up to anyone.

A pet sitter lost her.  I hope tonight she is found.

Laura

« Reply #179 on: April 17, 2011, 07:26:49 PM »

I hope they can find the dog tonight, too, Jane.
"That's a lotta hamsters."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up