Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A JEW SATED  (Read 19685 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: A JEW SATED
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2011, 08:08:41 AM »

In the I-watched-it-myself-and-discovered department:  the IMDb credits for "The Sound of Music" are complete.  There are NO (read that None, Zero, Nil) orchestration credits on the film proper.

That said, given Saul Chaplin's co-producer credits, it seems possible to me that he may have lent a hand, albeit an uncredited one.  It's hard to imagine Herbert Spencer and Edward B. Powell doing work on a film without credit since both had been well-credited in many other films before TSOM, presumably a union requirement.  But, stranger things....

There is one IMDb credit that is highly suspect, however:  Original Music: Irwin Kostal.  There is no such credit in the film for "original music" by Kostal.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Cillaliz

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2011, 08:10:30 AM »

I am hoping for some dry weather today.  It looks like it could rain, but sun is the predicted forecast.   It seems the clouds missed that memo

Cillaliz

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2011, 08:10:45 AM »

DR Jose, I wish we got the cooking channel.

Cillaliz

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2011, 08:12:18 AM »

There were two cats sleeping on my bed when I woke up this morning.  There is hardly room for my feet, lol.   And if I move my feet, Ricky bites them. So much for wishing they'd sleep on the bed with me, lol.  Actually I love it, I just don't get much sleep

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2011, 08:13:53 AM »

Thanks, DR Jose.  There are some limbs down in our yard, but no other damage that I can see.  It is, however, much colder than when I got home from my book group last night.

Good news.  I hope your drive today is uneventful.

HAPPY 82ND BIRTHDAY TO YOUR AUNT JO!

Jane

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2011, 08:14:27 AM »

Oh, my, that sandwich is so not on my diet!

I wouldn't want to eat it-yuck!

Jane

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2011, 08:15:42 AM »

Did my work out this morning - the diet is going okay.....I am not hungry.

Not hungry is very good. 

DIET & NO RAIN VIBES!!!

Jane

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2011, 08:17:01 AM »

DR MBarnum, we in Southern Oregon have had enough rain for awhile :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2011, 08:17:27 AM »

DR Jose, I wish we got the cooking channel.

I believe clips will start showing up on The Cooking Channel's website over the next couple of weeks.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2011, 08:17:29 AM »

There were two cats sleeping on my bed when I woke up this morning.  There is hardly room for my feet, lol.   And if I move my feet, Ricky bites them. So much for wishing they'd sleep on the bed with me, lol.  Actually I love it, I just don't get much sleep

:)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2011, 08:17:53 AM »

I, too, watched "The Boy Friend" last night.   It's one of a few films that cause me to grin from start to finish.  It's so wonderful.  It's so joyous.  It's a perfect vision, IMO. 

I was wishing my 37-inch screen was a lot larger last night.   I wanted to be enveloped by it.   It's not an ultimate, near-ultimate, nor even a perfect presentation.   The sound should be stereophonic and I think they could have found a better master (or, hey!  Why not the negative?).  There were a couple of quick jumps in the first number I don't recall seeing on the LD video.  Otherwise, it seemed complete (except for that odd fade before Intermission -- Bruce?  Is that the way it was??)

The cast is as perfect as any I could imagine.  Twiggy, Christopher Gable, Antonia Ellis and Tommy Tune are all young and wonderful.  The dancing is a dream given that this was a 2nd-rate (at best) theatrical company (with an apparently BRILLIANT art director doing its sets).  The fantasy sequences are a major joy (only one seems a bit prolonged, and that's the forest idyll fantasy).  This film represent Ken Russell's genius perfectly.  Max Adrian, Vladek Sheybal, et al, are simply wonderful.

Being a standard (albeit anamorphic 16 X 9) transfer, it didn't up-convert as well as other standard DVDs have done when played in my Blu-ray player, but to have it is the thing.  And happily we now have it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:19:44 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2011, 08:31:35 AM »

Was doing some research last night and discovered there was a Bollywood version of HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME, titled BADSHAH, made in 1954 starring Pradeep Kumar.

It is not yet out on DVD, but hopefully one day!

There was also a 1950s  Bollywood version of FRANKENSTEIN in the works, to star Sheikh Mukhtar. It was advertised as "in production", but looks like it never saw that light of day. I have been in contact with Mr. Mukhtar's son and I am hoping he can shed some light on this proposed film.
I'd like to see Badshah sometime, unless the title literally means bad shah.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2011, 08:33:56 AM »

I, too, watched "The Boy Friend" last night.   It's one of a few films that cause me to grin from start to finish.  It's so wonderful.  It's so joyous.  It's a perfect vision, IMO. 

I was wishing my 37-inch screen was a lot larger last night.   I wanted to be enveloped by it.   It's not an ultimate, near-ultimate, nor even a perfect presentation.   The sound should be stereophonic and I think they could have found a better master (or, hey!  Why not the negative?).  There were a couple of quick jumps in the first number I don't recall seeing on the LD video.  Otherwise, it seemed complete (except for that odd fade before Intermission -- Bruce?  Is that the way it was??)

The cast is as perfect as any I could imagine.  Twiggy, Christopher Gable, Antonia Ellis and Tommy Tune are all young and wonderful.  The dancing is a dream given that this was a 2nd-rate (at best) theatrical company (with an apparently BRILLIANT art director doing its sets).  The fantasy sequences are a major joy (only one seems a bit prolonged, and that's the forest idyll fantasy).  This film represent Ken Russell's genius perfectly.  Max Adrian, Vladek Sheybal, et al, are simply wonderful.

Being a standard (albeit anamorphic 16 X 9) transfer, it didn't up-convert as well as other standard DVDs have done when played in my Blu-ray player, but to have it is the thing.  And happily we now have it.

Will have to get it somehow.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2011, 08:34:13 AM »

I wish it would rain here.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2011, 08:55:36 AM »

I have to be out of the apartment around 8:15, for a morning of errands. When I return, around noon, I'll call for a studio. DR Jose, thanks for the studio info!

You're welcome, DR Larry.

Shetler Studio is now booked! I have run my errands and I am home. Do I want a nap?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 09:01:42 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2011, 08:58:27 AM »

DR Jose "Eli" reminds me of Sherlock when he doesn't want to move.  Yesterday knowing I would be backtracking a section of the trail I put a leash on him.  As soon as I began the backtrack I got yanked to a sudden stop, turned around to see Sherlock's feet firmly planted into the ground with that "now way!" expression on his face.  ;D  We did go the way I wanted. :)

I wonder if this is how DD SHERLOCK wrote up the incident on his blog?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2011, 09:23:54 AM »

DR Jose I would have recorded Eat St, but you're right they are already on episode 3 here.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2011, 09:25:26 AM »

DR Jose I would have recorded Eat St, but you're right they are already on episode 3 here.

No worries, DR Jennifer.  It will be on again. And again. And again.

*And I'm truly on this episode for two or three split-second clips.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2011, 10:03:42 AM »

DR Jose "Eli" reminds me of Sherlock when he doesn't want to move.  Yesterday knowing I would be backtracking a section of the trail I put a leash on him.  As soon as I began the backtrack I got yanked to a sudden stop, turned around to see Sherlock's feet firmly planted into the ground with that "now way!" expression on his face.  ;D  We did go the way I wanted. :)

I wonder if this is how DD SHERLOCK wrote up the incident on his blog?

Actually, I believe DD Sherlock wrote:  "No way was I going one more step before I was asked sweetly, so I dug in until she turned and looked to see what was happening.  I gave her my 'Oh, really?' look.  She smiled and said sweetly: 'Come on Sherlock, darling!  Mommy needs a little backtracking.'  So, I relented.  After all, what's a DD to do?"

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2011, 10:12:50 AM »

I'm a bit late signing on this morning.

I was busy typing my 1-person Errol Flynn play, which I wrote back in the 1980s, into my Mac.

That's done...but, I think I'll do some minor revisions, before I upload it to CreateSpace.

I think a few moments can be "improved."

Interesting, but Flynn's downfall reminds me a lot of Charlie Sheen.  There are some definite parallels.
You can dream…or you can do.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2011, 10:14:22 AM »

My shameless link posting pays YOU, Jose.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2011, 10:17:07 AM »

Unbelievable but true department:  the new house came with a "home warranty," albeit one so expensive (due to the size of the home) that we agreed to pay half of the yearly fee ourselves.  (Usually the seller pays it all).  Anyhoo, made three service calls during the year and quickly found out they cover next to nothing.  The third call was for a faulty light switch which I told them worked intermittently.  They dispatched the electrician and he could not make it malfunction.  He called AHS and their "service counselor" (that's a laugh and a half) told him NOT to make any repairs.  Due to that, I opted not to renew coverage.  Lo and behold, what should arrive yesterday but a BILL for the service call!!!  I called their 800 number and got a snotty operator who hung up on me.  So I looked up their corporate HQ and got through to the snotty assistant to the President who was quite full of attitude until I asked what state they were incorporated in and who their corporate counsel was.  The snotty assistant claims the fee has been waived ;), but we shall see. 

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2011, 10:23:48 AM »

The lovely Kate Baldwin, who played Sharon in the revival of FINIAN'S RAINBOW, has just had a baby boy.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2011, 10:26:06 AM »

BK, did you ever find a guest star for the Strouse show?

Waiting to hear.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2011, 10:26:43 AM »

I've been studying this "Blarney" song from Ohio Light Opera, and I don't think the song is by Victor Herbert; the harmony seems wrong, and I'm wondering who wrote it. It's also possible the melody is Herbert's and the harmonization by someone else, but I will continue to check the Herbert Findng Aid from the Library of Congress for the song.

I've played through the song several times this morning, and I think I was quick to rush to judgment. I think there may be a few copy errors, which a manuscript could confirm, but I suspect that Mr Herbert actually wrote it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2011, 10:28:29 AM »

I'm up quite late, but I needed the sleep.

JMK

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2011, 10:36:42 AM »

I noticed those jump cuts in THE BOY FRIEND, too, Ron.  Weird.

JMK

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2011, 10:40:21 AM »

I had an Aunt Jo who was married to an Uncle Gene, which we kids always thought was quite amusing.

JMK

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2011, 10:44:17 AM »

We got the coolest solar yard lights which I have been loving.  They are big globes with LEDs that change colors, all really deeply saturated and mimicking what the Aurora Borealis looks like.  I love, love, love these lights.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2011, 10:57:40 AM »

We got the coolest solar yard lights which I have been loving.  They are big globes with LEDs that change colors, all really deeply saturated and mimicking what the Aurora Borealis looks like.  I love, love, love these lights.

Sounds cool!  Do you have a link to share...or at least a picture? :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up