Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SEQUENCING  (Read 10775 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SEQUENCING
« on: April 23, 2011, 12:54:51 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were sequenced, and now it is time for you to post until the sequenced cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: SEQUENCING
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 12:55:39 AM »

And the word of the day is: PEREGRINATE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 12:59:33 AM »

As promised, here are our two new Kritzerland releases for your early eyes - you know the drill - they're each 19.98 and 3.75 shipping covers both.  Paid directly to paypal.com using our paypal address, which is kritzerland at adelphia dot net.

Kritzerland is proud to present two new limited edition soundtracks – one great soundtrack and one great show:

UNTIL SEPTEMBER
Music Composed and Conducted by John Barry

An American In Paris named Mo misses her flight with her tour group and has become stranded in the City of Light.  She meets a debonair French banker named Xavier.  Pretty quickly he informs her he’d like to sleep with her despite the fact that he is married.  And therein lies the tale of an affair to remember and love conquers all.   Directed by Richard Marquand (fresh from directing Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi), the film stars Karen Allen as the spunky Mo Alexander, and Thierry Lhermitte as Xavier, the cocky, suave, rich, and good-looking Frenchman.  As the Gershwins wrote, who could ask for anything more?  Well, the audiences and critics of 1984, because they just weren’t buying Until September.  But eventually, on cable and video, the film found fans, fans that found the love story appealing, and the scenery irresistible.   But making the whole thing doubly appealing and irresistible is the gorgeous score by John Barry.

No one did this kind of score better than John Barry.  He’d already given the world the hyper-romantic score to Somewhere In Time, and would soon do Out Of Africa, both of which spawned best-selling soundtracks.  Barry, of course, was already a legend for his James Bond scores, and had also provided classic music for any number of great films, including Séance On A Wet Afternoon, The Ipcress File, The Knack…And How To Get It, The Wrong Box, Born Free, The Whisperers, Mary, Queen of Scots, Midnight Cowboy, The Lion In Winter, Walkabout, Robin and Marian, King Kong, Body Heat, and that list doesn’t even scratch the surface.  Every cue in Until September drips with exquisite Barry melody and invention.  There is no use fighting it – just surrender, close your eyes, and let the music wash over you, its very own City Of Light.

The soundtrack to Until September has had several releases – an LP on Varese Sarabande, a CD of that album presentation on Silva Screen, and a limited edition release of the almost complete score by Intrada – the latter was an instant sellout, and many people missed out on that release.  And so we decided to make it available again in another edition of 1000 units, so that the people who missed out would have another chance to get it, and because we wanted to honor the memory of the great John Barry with one of his most romantic and beautiful scores.  The Intrada release presented the score in film order.  To that, we decided to include the original LP sequencing, which was done by Mr. Barry, because it’s a whole different listening experience.  We have done our own remastering for this release.

This release is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price of the CD is $19.98, plus shipping.   Additionally, we are offering a special deal with the purchase of this release.  Go to the item page and click on the link to find out about it.

CD will ship the second week of May – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

CAMELOT Original London Cast Recording
Book and Lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner Music by Frederick Loewe

Adapted from T.H. White’s The Once And Future King, Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe’s Camelot was one of the most highly anticipated shows imaginable.  After all, their previous show had been one of the biggest Broadway success stories in history – the huge smash hit My Fair Lady.  And they’d had the big success of Gigi on the screen.  Add to that a stunning cast of Richard Burton, Julie Andrews, Roddy McDowell, and Robert Goulet making his Broadway debut.  Then Moss Hart as director, Oliver Smith for sets, costumes by Adrian (who died before the show went into rehearsals) and Tony Duquette, and with an advance sale that was the largest in musical theatre history, well, what could possibly go wrong?  As it turned out, the road was rocky to Camelot, but despite the travails on the road to Broadway, the show had a healthy 873 performance run, and had several tours, several revivals, a film version, and lots of other productions since.

The show won four Tony Awards, the original Broadway cast album spent sixty weeks at the top of the Billboard chart, and the score spawned several standards.  And, in 1964, the show made its London debut.  Opening at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane on August 19th, producer Jack Hylton’s production of Camelot sported a stellar cast, including film star Laurence Harvey as Arthur, Elizabeth Larner as Guenevere) and Barry Kent as Lancelot.  Critic Harold Hobson said of Harvey’s Arthur, “I count this performance as amongst the big theatrical experiences of my life.”  The production was directed and choreographed by Robert Helpmann, with scenery and costumes by John Truscott and lighting by Richard Pilbrow.  The show ran 518 performances.

What becomes clear in every revival or presentation of the show is that the score by Lerner and Loewe is one of the most glorious in all musical theater.  Whatever deficiencies the book may or may not have, the score just overpowers them.

The London cast album is a treasure.  It feels quite different than its Broadway counterpart and includes “The Jousts” that wasn’t on the original Broadway cast album.  Harvey is a great King Arthur, and Larner is a wonderful Guenevere.  Their performances are reason enough to cherish the London recording, but the whole thing has a vibrancy and sheen that is terrific, and that score – one great song after another – I think it’s safe use the old saw that they don’t write ‘em like this anymore.

The CD was mastered from the original tapes from the EMI vaults in the UK.

This release is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price of the CD is $19.98, plus shipping.   Additionally, we are offering a special deal with the purchase of this release.  Go to the item page and click on the link to find out about it.

CD will ship the second week of May – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:07:06 PM by bk »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 05:11:58 AM »

First post after MR BK ....  Huzzah!

I can only do that when DR BEN is on Long Island.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 05:12:57 AM »

Most excited to hear the London Camelot!!  Have never heard the Laurence Harvey recording!  And I am directing the show this summer, so it will be nice to have some fresh listening material?

Is it in STEREO-PHONIC sound?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 05:21:18 AM »

And now I am off to work.  Oh well.

And when I come home, the house will be full of country singers playing guitar and singing those songs.

Ginny

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 06:09:51 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  Today is "turn-around" day for me - home from my trip to Cleveland/Lima and getting ready to leave tomorrow for Lima/Michigan.  After tomorrow's service, I'm going to visit my sister and do some wedding stuff with Mary Linda and her Mom.  We left my car with our senior warden in Lima, who promised to take good care of it.  Since we're a one-car couple today and Fr. Richard has responsibilities in Cincinnati this afternoon, I have to get out and about soon to get my errands done.  This afternoon I'll do laundry and pack.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 06:15:19 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 06:14:48 AM »

GOD OF CARNAGE SEMI-SPOILER JOKE

Resist all impulses to vomit on the ground during the show..  :)

Ginny

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 06:22:31 AM »

I also have some paperwork to do before I leave, including sending my new birth certificate to the State Department.  It arrived Thursday, all the way from the wilds of Oregon.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 06:25:42 AM »

Good morning, all! I must apologize to all you DRs for my terrible mood yesterday. It was a real meltdown and I am not happy about it.

CAMELOT! I've been hoping for this CD for years. When I was a grad student, I discovered Gramophone Magazine in the Miami U Music Library and, when I found reviews for London cast recordings, I began compliling a list of titles and their numbers. I sent Blackwells in Oxford a huge order and several months later an enormous carton arrived with a lot of of LPs. There were several I'd ordered that were no longer available - WHERE'S CHARLEY? and CARNIVAL are the two I remember - but the prizes were OLIVER!, which was fun to hear because of "That's Your Funeral," and CAMELOT.

I've always loved the recording, and I'm very happy it's back in print.  The photos of the production are beautiful, and different from the Broadway desgns of Oliver Smith. The designer for the London production designed the Josh Logan film. It was he who had the idea to design the show around the seasons, beginning the musical in a winter setting and ending it in autumn.

I must ask you, BK, to hold me a copy, please,  until my invoice payment arrives on Monday (hopefully!) and I can pay for it.

TOD: Hits:  THE GODFATHER, DEMENTIA 13
        Misses: FINIAN'S RAINBOW

As to APOCALYPSE NOW, which I saw at the Ziegfeld on opening night, words cannot express my intense dislike.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 06:26:26 AM »

I also have some paperwork to do before I leave, including sending my new birth certificate to the State Department.  It arrived Thursday, all the way from the wilds of Oregon.

That was speedy! Did Donald Trump verify this?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 06:33:42 AM »

Yes, it was quick, DR Elmore, but I don't think The Donald was involved!

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 06:53:31 AM »

TOD:

THE GODFATHER TRILOGY
You can dream…or you can do.

Danise

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 06:55:14 AM »

Hi all!   I hope everyone is having a nice Holiday weekend.    I wish I had a lot to tell you about but I'm fresh out except that work is Hell and I don't think anyone wants to hear me gripe about it. 

I took Toby to the vet.  It's hard to believe it's been a year already since I got him.  The poor little boy was so upset that I had to sit and comfort him when we got home.  I guess it's kinda like a UFO abduction.  Can you imagine what it is like for them to be taken from their happy home, have your butt probed, stung with 3 or more needles, strange hands going all over your body and ears and have someone you don't know open your mouth and look at your teeth?  All the while your "mommy" stands  by and lets it happen along with saying "Be a good dog?"  It must be a real nightmare for them.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Laura

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 07:05:17 AM »

LOL, Danise. Sounds like when I took Joshie to the vet. He was sent home in disgrace.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

MBarnum

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 07:26:48 AM »

Good Saturday morning. The sun is shining and it looks like spring outside!

Across the street, vendors are setting up for Saturday market and I might mosey on over later.

There is one vendor, a farmer who is originally from the UK, and who is quite dashing. I always buy something from him, whether I need it or not....that is, when I can push my way through the throngs of middle-aged housewives who are drooling over his produce.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 07:33:44 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 07:36:23 AM »

TOD:

A lot:

Godfather I and II
The Conversation

Like them despite themselves:
Finian's Rainbow
One from the Heart
The Cotton Club
Peggy Sue Got Married

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 07:37:03 AM »

Got to get back to the paper. It's due Easter Sunday. To which I ask, What the Floop?
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 07:40:52 AM »

Good Saturday morning. The sun is shining and it looks like spring outside!

Across the street, vendors are setting up for Saturday market and I might mosey on over later.

There is one vendor, a farmer who is originally from the UK, and who is quite dashing. I always buy something from him, whether I need it or not....that is, when I can push my way through the throngs of middle-aged housewives who are drooling over his produce.

What will you do with all those tampons, Mikey?

Laura

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2011, 07:41:14 AM »

Be sure to mention F. Scott Fitzgerald somehow.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2011, 07:42:07 AM »

Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 09:04:09 AM »

I'm up, she of the Evil Eye is here and I shall be on my way to breakfast and do things until she is gone.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 09:04:22 AM »

Camelot is indeed stereo.

Kerry

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2011, 09:32:16 AM »

TOD: 
Peggy Sue Got Married
You're  a Big Boy Now
One from the Heart
Godfather I and II

I like boat races.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 09:44:53 AM »

And the word of the day is: PEREGRINATE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  THE WANDERER

Ginny

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 10:05:13 AM »

Back from my errands.

DR Elmore - check your email!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 10:05:42 AM »

Good Morning! Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up... And it's raining in New York City. Ugh!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2011, 10:06:07 AM »

Back from my errands.

Welcome back, DR Ginny!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 10:07:20 AM »

Alas, that probably is not a euphemism.

But it still made me smile and giggle. :)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up