Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE END OF THE WORLD THAT WASN'T  (Read 36658 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: THE END OF THE WORLD THAT WASN'T
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2011, 12:32:10 PM »

Page Three!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2011, 12:32:47 PM »

Lots of loud thunder around here!

No, that is just my stomach growling.
“One thing’s universal,

Ben

« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2011, 12:58:33 PM »

Yes, Mama Mia is still running on Broadway. It's now on TKTS (half-price) but that doesn't mean it won't be around for many more years. Chicago is still running (since 1996) and I think the TKTS tickets are part of what keeps it running.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2011, 01:02:31 PM »

For all those in NYC....

Have you been following the musicians union protesting at the Palace Theater over the canned music used in Priscilla? The producers said that if they lose they will hire the musician but they will "sit on the hands".

I had thought that Priscilla was using live musicians, and the issue was they were not using the amount of musicians required for the Palace Theatre.  But all the music was indeed live.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2011, 01:11:29 PM »

Congrats, Vixter and Vixmon. Great story.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2011, 01:12:58 PM »

Elmore -

I like the carol /hymn  People Look East a lot --- we sing it every Advent but it is not a well known carol

It's the same tune as the French carol "Shepherds, Shake Off Your Drowsy Sleep," but the imagery of "People, Look East" fits our show well, and it begins the piece. I'm starting to get very excited about the whole thing, and I think it's going to be fun. I've arranged for the tomorrow's rehearsal the following:
  West Virginia Mine Disaster
  People, Look East
  Sing, All Men/Ring the Christ Church Bells
  I Wish I Was Single Again (Men and Women's versions)
  Christmas Time's A-Comin'
  It's The Goold Old Mountain Dew
  Beautiful Star of Bethlehem
  How Far Is It To Bethlehem?
  The six songs in the "Appalachian Carols" arrangement I wrote for my Dad

Then we've gt eight pieces that need to be arranged and dictated by the staging, so I'm giving the actors photocopies from various carol and other song books.

This sounds like it's going to be a wonderful piece when it's finished. And it's proof your world didn't end years ago. Or last night, either.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2011, 01:13:56 PM »

DR JohnG, I hope your package got to you.
The package arrived and it felt like Christmas Part II (Part I being the earlier package you sent a couple of months ago.)
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2011, 01:14:46 PM »

My aunt, my mother's younger sister, is 87 today.  She is active & doing great, as is her 91 year old husband. :)
Happy, happy!
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »

Birthday wishes to DR Jane's Aunt!
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2011, 01:22:37 PM »

Elmore -

I like the carol /hymn  People Look East a lot --- we sing it every Advent but it is not a well known carol

It's the same tune as the French carol "Shepherds, Shake Off Your Drowsy Sleep," but the imagery of "People, Look East" fits our show well, and it begins the piece. I'm starting to get very excited about the whole thing, and I think it's going to be fun. I've arranged for the tomorrow's rehearsal the following:
  People, Look East

Then we've gt eight pieces that need to be arranged and dictated by the staging, so I'm giving the actors photocopies from various carol and other song books.

This sounds like it's going to be a wonderful piece when it's finished. And it's proof your world didn't end years ago. Or last night, either.

I hope so! I just don't want to end up with  "Hee-Haw" or Ma and Pa Kettle. I've just finished reading Jean Ritchie's wonderful bio, SINGING FAMILY OF THE CUMBERLANDS, and I hope we can achieve something as poetic and moving as her story.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2011, 01:27:08 PM »

Elmore -

People, Look East

What a lovely way to put it, John G.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2011, 01:28:19 PM »

I am constantly amazed by the talents of so many of the regulars here at HHW.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2011, 01:44:32 PM »

There is a little Vietnamese man who lives about a mile from my house.  Every spring I am stunned by the beauthiful flowers that embrace his home front and back.  It is his purpose for living.  He, and he alone, turns his small house into a showplace.  Now there is an e-mail about his flowers that is busy zooming around the world by way of the internet.  If any of you would like to receive the e-mail, just PM your internet address to me.

“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2011, 02:23:10 PM »

There is a little Vietnamese man who lives about a mile from my house.  Every spring I am stunned by the beauthiful flowers that embrace his home front and back.  It is his purpose for living.  He, and he alone, turns his small house into a showplace.  Now there is an e-mail about his flowers that is busy zooming around the world by way of the internet.  If any of you would like to receive the e-mail, just PM your internet address to me.

The photos are really amazing. Your neighbor truly has a green thumb.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2011, 02:30:53 PM »

For all those in NYC....

Have you been following the musicians union protesting at the Palace Theater over the canned music used in Priscilla? The producers said that if they lose they will hire the musician but they will "sit on the hands".

I had thought that Priscilla was using live musicians, and the issue was they were not using the amount of musicians required for the Palace Theatre.  But all the music was indeed live.

The situation is complicated by the size of the orchestra that is on tape, as opposed to the number of actual live musicians playing along to that tape, I believe.  The pit players are essentially a rhythm group, while the tape was recorded with a large band of four trumpets, etc., and the union believes this band should be in the pit playing the show live. I agree with them.

When I started seeing Broadway shows in 1966, there was a huge group of around 26 musicians in the pits of some shows (CANDIDE and MOST HAPPY FELLA in 1956 has 35 players, CAMELOT and SOUND OF MUSIC had 33), and now a big orchestra is lucky to have 24 (FINIAN'S RAINBOW) but must musicals have between 12 and 20.  I believe that PRISCILLA has a total of 9 players playing to a tape of a large band.

That dreadful old ruling on minimum players for each theatre was always an economic problem for production, and it has been abolished. The ruling was that each theatre had to hire a specific minimum number of musicians for each performance of a play with more than 15 (?_ minutes of music in it. The number of musicians was dictated by the size of the house. So, most musicals had to have 25-27 musicians hired, and if you had a show like BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE with a band of 8-10. you had to pay 15 or so extra musicians as "walkers" to show up, hang out and do nothing. If you had a play like MARAT/SADE with 6 live musicians, you still had to deal with walkers. If it were a show like the tour ROSENCRANZ AND GUILDENSTERN ARE DEAD that I saw in Cincinnati, with about 30 minutes of music on tape, the Shubert Theatre had to hire live musicians who played in the lobby at intermission. at least the Shubert put them to work.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 02:38:24 PM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2011, 02:39:38 PM »

I must say, PILLARS OF FIRE has too many plots, moving too quickly, and I am having a hard time keeping up with it all. I know it will settle fown soon, so I'll stick with it.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2011, 03:16:42 PM »

Elmore -

People, Look East

What a lovely way to put it, John G.

YES IT IS. :)

Jane

« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2011, 03:17:46 PM »

Thank you John & TCB.

Jane

« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2011, 03:20:12 PM »

DR TCB I want to visit by your neighbor's house-lovely. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 03:21:52 PM by Jane »

Cillaliz

« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2011, 03:37:26 PM »

For all those in NYC....

There is no canned music in me, nor will there ever be ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2011, 03:42:10 PM »

Birthday wishes to DR Jane's Aunt!

DITTO!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2011, 03:44:05 PM »

I have had a very busy day.  Doing chores and just basically trying to catch up around the house.

Cillaliz

« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2011, 03:46:32 PM »

It's 74 degrees outside and I've had the windows open all day.  It's been really nice to have fresh air in the house. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2011, 03:48:34 PM »

We had thunderstorms again over night.  It's been dry so far today, but the rain will start again on Tuesday.  I hope my yard guy mows soon.    the yard is going to seed.  So is my neighbor's.  He's been cutting their grass for years, so I know it's him not me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2011, 03:49:40 PM »

I have no idea if there is anything on my calendar tomorrow morning.  Wow. That's unusual.  I do know I looked ahead at the end of the week, so if there is it must not be anything too urgent.  Guess I'll go to the office early tomorrow, just in case

Cillaliz

« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2011, 03:54:22 PM »

I'm looking forward to watching the finale of Celebrity Apprentice.    I want John Rich to win but I think Marly may pull it off and beat him

Cillaliz

« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2011, 03:54:43 PM »

Let's see what else can I talk about?

Cillaliz

« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2011, 03:56:17 PM »

George, since I'm driving a hybrid car, I don't really trust the guys at the discount oil change place.  I would rather take it to the dealership where I know they could fix it if something more was wrong.  It's not expensive.  I think the oil change was 20.00 and the rotation of the tires was 19.00.   

Cillaliz

« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2011, 03:57:57 PM »

I did find out that since the tsunami that stopped all production of Prius cars,  my car has gone up in value significantly.  It's almost worth more than I paid for it 2 years ago.  I like that

Cillaliz

« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2011, 03:58:26 PM »

Let's see, are we getting close?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up