Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT I NEED  (Read 41752 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re: WHAT I NEED
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 05:58:19 AM »

I don't know from L'Enfer - but it sounds very interesting.

Isn't "L'Enfer" what Willy Clark would shout to Al Lewis during their Doctor routine when they performed in Paris?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Cillaliz

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 05:59:48 AM »

Thanks for the report on A Time To Kill, DR FJL, I've been anxious to hear about it

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2011, 05:59:56 AM »

It's time to head for a bus. I've got 13 folders of music for cast and assistant director, my own scores, new scores for director and MD, paper, pencils and my pencil sharpener to tote up to 96th Street.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2011, 06:00:40 AM »

I'm having a hard time pulling myself away from the tv and internet about Joplin, but must do so....I have to get to worl

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2011, 06:05:42 AM »

Back from D.C. and can't figure out why the hotel's system would not let me sign in to HHW yesterday.

Immersing myself in a mostly-FOLLIES weekend again was a wonderful wallow.  i think Mr. Brantley's review (where e loved Act II, didn't like Act 1) could be a result of the oddest point to settle on for 15 minutes of rumination over the intermission, after the expert rendition of TOO MANY MORNINGS - but stopping there for a pause makes the show feel like it's about so much less than it really is.   Maybe get rid of the intermission for a couple of perfs on a Tueday evening and Wednesday and see how it works?   Elmore, would anyone listen to you if you made a suggestion like that?

Of course not. If I were doing FOLLIES, I would try to keep it with no intermission, but you know my feelings about  Eric Schaeffer, none of them positive or friendly.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2011, 06:13:24 AM »

Back from D.C. and can't figure out why the hotel's system would not let me sign in to HHW yesterday.

Immersing myself in a mostly-FOLLIES weekend again was a wonderful wallow.  i think Mr. Brantley's review (where e loved Act II, didn't like Act 1) could be a result of the oddest point to settle on for 15 minutes of rumination over the intermission, after the expert rendition of TOO MANY MORNINGS - but stopping there for a pause makes the show feel like it's about so much less than it really is.   Maybe get rid of the intermission for a couple of perfs on a Tueday evening and Wednesday and see how it works?   Elmore, would anyone listen to you if you made a suggestion like that?

A TIME TO KILL at the Arena is such an expert depiction of reality of vigilante justice, and by presenting it with great humor and stark realism, seems to endorse eye-for-an-eye and capital punishment by presenting reality without (as far as I can see)  comment.  Almost Brechtian for me in its alienation.  I prefer getting riled up at the theater to being bored, and I was NOT bored to say the least.  Bravo to Rupert Holmes and the Arena Stage and everyone for daring to present challenging work, and I did not join the standing ovation because I was a little in shock.

I never thought any intermission in FOLLIES worked.  The original (and a couple of other productions) tried doing it at the end of Who's That Woman? but that acts simply as a bathroom break--there's no hook to it.  Having a break after Too Many Mornings works a little better, but that moment is too intimate.  What it comes down to is that the authors never wrote such a moment into the show so an intermission will never properly work unless there is some actual tinkering with the book. 

On the plus side, there is a terrific Entr'acte, but I don't know if it's standardly used in all productions or not.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2011, 06:16:01 AM »

Thanks for the report on A Time To Kill, DR FJL, I've been anxious to hear about it

Cilla, i think it opened last night.  So the reviews that matter should be out pretty soon.  I'll be fascinated to see if it affects professional theater critics as viscerally as it affected me.

FJL

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2011, 06:22:51 AM »

Of course not. If I were doing FOLLIES, I would try to keep it with no intermission, but you know my feelings about  Eric Schaeffer, none of them positive or friendly.

Yeah, you and I differ on Mr. Schaeffer's track record as far as entertaining us goes.  I know many people think his successes are just choosing the right people onstage and offstage, but that's quite a talent if that's true, since so many others don't manage to do that; i look through his bio and while the highs are not the highs of all time, his bio brings to mind many many many (that's three MANYs) entertaining hours of going to the theater, as in "perhaps that wasn't highest-level genius, but it was well worth even the shlep on Amtrak to have that as a theatergoing memory."

Ginny

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2011, 06:35:14 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  Our household is sleeping in today, in spite of a doozy of a thunderstorm around 6am.  It's still kind of gray and rainy.

My heart goes out to all coping with loss and damage as a result of yesterday's weather - especially family members of DRs Cillaliz, Ben, and John G.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2011, 06:53:18 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm watching the news coverage from Joplin and Minneapolis. Very scary, sobering and tragic.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2011, 06:56:45 AM »

The new Arena Stage building is stunning.

Only thing I didn't get about the design:  At one point, to get to the street level theater where A TIME TO KILL is playing, and then get back out, we had to go up a flight of stairs only to go down s flight of stairs to get to the level we were on before.    This feels like a design flaw, but no one there seemed to find it odd.  :)

Well... It doesn't seem odd to me. To me, it's very cool! ;)

*What is "odd" is the new network of hallways backstage and in the admin sections of the building. However, it is nice having a full-size kitchen complete with a dishwasher for Company use.
Make Your Own Luck.

Kerry

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2011, 06:57:31 AM »

I'm up-- it''s a pretty morning but looks like it might be a warm day.
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2011, 06:59:09 AM »

And...

One interesting design tidbit if you take a tour of Arena Stage's new structure: the mirrors in the women's bathroom are not placed above the sinks. They are placed "behind" them. -Which helps keep the "traffic jams" down to a minimum.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2011, 07:00:02 AM »

Cilla, i think it opened last night.  So the reviews that matter should be out pretty soon.  I'll be fascinated to see if it affects professional theater critics as viscerally as it affected me.

Yep, the official opening for A Time To Kill was last night. The reviews should start popping up late tonight and tomorrow morning.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2011, 07:20:32 AM »

Vibes for DR Ben's sister ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2011, 07:21:18 AM »

DR cillaliz, wow your post from last night. So scary.

Glad your family is alright. Vibes for Joplin and for Jon's friend Joe. The destruction sounds horrible. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2011, 07:22:21 AM »

Today is a holiday, Victoria Day.

And for some reason there is a newspaper today. It said no Canada Post strike Tues, Wed, Thurs at least. So that is good. I hate mail strikes.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2011, 07:24:07 AM »

*  *  *  *  *  VIBES FOR ALL EFFECTED BY YESTERDAY'S TORNADOS  *  *  *  *  *
-- Anaïs Nin

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2011, 07:55:26 AM »

Good morning.  I have nothing on the TOD.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2011, 07:56:50 AM »

Yesterday, I watched one of the best, most honest movies ever made about life in the theatre.

It's called THOSE LIPS, THOSE EYES and it stars Frank Langella and Tom Hulce.

MGM is putting it out on DVD as an "on demand" release.

You can dream…or you can do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2011, 07:59:36 AM »

And it does include this rather sober photo of all of us at the Proclamation last Friday.  ;D

This is one lovely photo. I've never seen DR JRand60 look so refined.

And you probably never will again.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2011, 08:02:26 AM »

I ordered Time Life Instrumentals Broadway Melodies and got Time Life Nelson Riddle Instrumentals.

And I need it for Saturday.

I am sure this will be a wrangle with the seller.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2011, 08:17:56 AM »

DR ELMORE I got my package today.  Thank you.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2011, 08:25:18 AM »

I hope I took my suspenders to the theatre already, because I can't find them around here.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2011, 08:26:58 AM »

There is an in-depth review of L'ENFER on a certain site I may have mentioned from time to time.

I reviewed RABBIT HOLE several months ago and while not my favorite film of all time, I found it quite moving.

There is a phenomenal BD release out of the two short films Clouzot made with Herbert von Karajan, which I also reviewed some time ago.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2011, 08:27:18 AM »

In fact he made those shorts after his breakdown after the debacle of L'ENFER.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2011, 08:34:50 AM »

Vibes to Cillaliz and her family.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2011, 08:51:32 AM »

Yes, the news out of Joplin is horrendous.

Having heard it, however, the little wheels in my head started spinning and I have been trying to remember which TV comedy character always talked about Joplin, MO.   

Was it Bob Cummings on "Love That Bob"?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2011, 08:54:35 AM »

And...

Encores! has just announced their 2012 season: Merrily We Roll Along, Pipe Dream and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2011, 09:00:46 AM »

And...

Encores! has just announced their 2012 season: Merrily We Roll Along, Pipe Dream and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Nothing by Frank Wildhorn?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up