Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IF THE SHOE FITS  (Read 44720 times)

KevinH

Re: IF THE SHOE FITS
« Reply #150 on: May 24, 2011, 05:54:24 PM »

Kevin H - Thanks for that report on the talkback!

You're welcome, DR FJL!   I hate to tell you now that I believe the show was live-streamed (it took place at 5 pm).  I checked the website and see that archived shows are available to watch now.  I'm not sure how long you have to wait, though.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #151 on: May 24, 2011, 05:54:38 PM »

Kevin H - Thanks for that report on the talkback!

Yes, thanks a lot.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #152 on: May 24, 2011, 06:01:34 PM »

DR elmore i thought abbey was a three disc mini series.  now i realize we only have season one on DVD.  i was also expecting a conclusion to the story.

Cillaliz

« Reply #153 on: May 24, 2011, 06:03:20 PM »

cilla does joe have any family?

Well, he does, but Jon and his family are really Joe's only family.   His mom sent him $20 and his brother called and said he was glad he made it and didn't even offer to help.     I don't know what's up with his family.  He comes from a very strict Baptist family.  I don't know if they act this way because it's how they are or because they don't approve of the fact he's gay.  I've never been able to figure it out.   Instead of donating to the Red Cross, I sent the same amount to Joe.

KevinH

« Reply #154 on: May 24, 2011, 06:03:49 PM »

I'm remembering a few more tidbits:

The actors were asked how their costumes related to the character.  Bernadette said that her character wore red so her long-lost love, Ben, wouldn't miss her.  

They were asked if they approached the songs differently in the show as compared to singing them in concert.   Ron Raines mentioned that people say that they finally understand Sondheim's most well known song "Send in the Clowns" when they see it in
"A Little Night Music."  Bernadette stated that she would probably never sing that song in concert unless there were some way to put it in context.

Cillaliz

« Reply #155 on: May 24, 2011, 06:05:49 PM »

The college kids collecting beds for  kids who don't have a bed stopped by tonight and picked up the bed I've been wanting to get rid of.  Woo and Hoo..  glad to be rid of that.

Jane

« Reply #156 on: May 24, 2011, 06:12:38 PM »

From the comments, or lack of them, I feared if he had family they were useless.  Thank goodness for your family & that he has a place to live.  Did he own or rent the house?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: May 24, 2011, 06:13:48 PM »

DR elmore last night we finally watched the first episode of Downton Abbey. :)

I enjoyed it, especially Eileen Atkins.

i don't see her listed in the cast.

You're right! She's in the new series of UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS. It's Maggie Smith in DOWNTON ABBEY!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: May 24, 2011, 06:17:12 PM »

I saw Follies Sunday and thought it was great.    So this afternoon I went to a behind-the-scenes discussion and Q&A with the four leads (Bernadette Peters, Ron Raines, Jan Maxwell and Danny Burstein) and Elaine Paige.   The host asked questions about how the actors approached the characters, etc.   He said that he understood that the song "I'm Still Here" was based on Joan Crawford's career, which kind of surprised me (I thought I had read that Stephen Sondheim had actually gotten some input from Yvonne DeCarlo, who sang the song in the 1971 production).  Anyway, Elaine Paige started to talk about the picture of Joan Crawford that's on the wall of the set and how that was related to the song, etc, when her castmates corrected her--it's a picture of Gloria Swanson, not Crawford.   So Ms. Paige said, (paraphrasing)  "oh, I don't know the story about Joan Crawford."   

The host asked about the performers' previous experiences with Follies.  Ron Raines said that he had played the same role (Ben) when he was in his early 30's and that he was too young.    Amazingly, both Jan Maxwell and Danny Burstein said that they had never seen the show and Ms. Maxwell said that she really hadn't known anything about it.  They both said that they couldn't turn down the chance to do a Sondheim show.   The host asked how each actor came to be in the show.   They all said they were offered the parts, except Ron Raines, who said that he had auditioned and was happy to do so.   

Well, doesn't Elaine Paige sound like a total fool?

I liked her a lot in the last SWEENEY TODD revival at City Opera, but it doesn't sound as though she did any real amount of research into her character.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 06:23:08 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #159 on: May 24, 2011, 06:19:02 PM »

DR elmore last night we finally watched the first episode of Downton Abbey. :)

I enjoyed it, especially Eileen Atkins.

i don't see her listed in the cast.

You're right! She's in the new series of UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS. It's Maggie Smith in DOWNTON ABBEY!

Maggie is always a delight. :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: May 24, 2011, 06:20:23 PM »

Well, he does, but Jon and his family are really Joe's only family.   His mom sent him $20 and his brother called and said he was glad he made it and didn't even offer to help.     I don't know what's up with his family.  He comes from a very strict Baptist family.  I don't know if they act this way because it's how they are or because they don't approve of the fact he's gay.  I've never been able to figure it out.   Instead of donating to the Red Cross, I sent the same amount to Joe.

That's a great gesture, DR cillaliz. I would think most of what you'd give to the Red Cross probably goes to administration and a fundraiser who'll ask for more donations.

FJL

« Reply #161 on: May 24, 2011, 06:20:53 PM »

I'm remembering a few more tidbits:

The actors were asked how their costumes related to the character.  Bernadette said that her character wore red so her long-lost love, Ben, wouldn't miss her.  

They were asked if they approached the songs differently in the show as compared to singing them in concert.   Ron Raines mentioned that people say that they finally understand Sondheim's most well known song "Send in the Clowns" when they see it in
"A Little Night Music."  Bernadette stated that she would probably never sing that song in concert unless there were some way to put it in context.

Any more that comes to mind, much appreciated of you relay it.  (Saw the show three times this past weekend.)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #162 on: May 24, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »

I am still stuffed from a 2 o'clock lunch. I simply can't eat big meals anymore--that is, comfortably. We ate at Talpa, a Mexican restaurant that Jose knows.

John G.

« Reply #163 on: May 24, 2011, 06:25:14 PM »

That's a great gesture, DR cillaliz. I would think most of what you'd give to the Red Cross probably goes to administration and a fundraiser who'll ask for more donations.
I know the Red Cross does a lot of good work, but I am inclined to agree on disaster relief. So, are there any good charities that will actually help the people of Joplin? I'm thinking my Lutheran insurance company might help, but I'm not entirely sure. They usually do in these cases and they match donations up to a certain point.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: May 24, 2011, 06:25:31 PM »

Thanks to both Jane and KevinH for the birthday wishes!

Cillaliz

« Reply #165 on: May 24, 2011, 06:25:49 PM »

From the comments, or lack of them, I feared if he had family they were useless.  Thank goodness for your family & that he has a place to live.  Did he own or rent the house?

He rented and had no insurance.  He drives my sister's old van.  they got the van out, but the back windows were all blown out, so he's going to have to get them fixed right away.  He does restoration on homes and is a good carpenter.  Luckily his tools are ok and there will be lots of work for him once he's on his feet.  He has no furniture, tv, etc.  The kitchen stuff is ok, and he was able to salvage some other things.  They are drying out his computer and other electronics  hoping that they may possibly still work.  I guess they were able to get his scooter out of the garage today.  So he has that too.   I know he's only one of many, but he's like family, so he's the one I'm most concerned about.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: May 24, 2011, 06:26:08 PM »

I loved Eileen Atkins in UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS. I thought she was wonderful.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: May 24, 2011, 06:31:49 PM »

Jane, I believe there is only one season so far of DOWNTON ABBEY, but I heard another is/may be in the works.

I thought it funny to see Brendon Coyle in both shows, too.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: May 24, 2011, 06:35:19 PM »

Jane, I believe there is only one season so far of DOWNTON ABBEY, but I heard another is/may be in the works.

I thought it funny to see Brendon Coyle in both shows, too.

Season Two is already in the can, I think, for a late 2011 season in England.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #169 on: May 24, 2011, 06:42:02 PM »

Greetings one and all!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #170 on: May 24, 2011, 06:42:27 PM »

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

KevinH

« Reply #171 on: May 24, 2011, 06:43:23 PM »

Just got off the phone with my nephew, who turned 34 today ("Sunrise , sunset...).  He's a personal trainer now and if you fitness fans want to check out his online program,  here's a link:

http://bizybodyfitness.biz/

KevinH

« Reply #172 on: May 24, 2011, 06:47:02 PM »

That's amazing, FJL, seeing Follies three times in one weekend!    I think I will go back before it leaves. 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: May 24, 2011, 06:47:17 PM »

DRs, my college friend Craig needs vibes. He's having surgery for a tumor in the morning and I'm praying it goes well.  We were really good friends when i was a grad student and I want him to come out of this alive and well.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: May 24, 2011, 06:48:10 PM »

Just got off the phone with my nephew, who turned 34 today ("Sunrise , sunset...).  He's a personal trainer now and if you fitness fans want to check out his online program,  here's a link:

http://bizybodyfitness.biz/

Oh, dear! Will our DR MBarnum start stalking him, waiting till he turns 70 and of a good dating age?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: May 24, 2011, 06:49:06 PM »

That's amazing, FJL, seeing Follies three times in one weekend!    I think I will go back before it leaves. 

Amazing is certainly one word for it! :)

John G.

« Reply #176 on: May 24, 2011, 06:54:59 PM »

DRs, my college friend Craig needs vibes. He's having surgery for a tumor in the morning and I'm praying it goes well.  We were really good friends when i was a grad student and I want him to come out of this alive and well.
Vibes and prayers for Craig.
― Voltaire

KevinH

« Reply #177 on: May 24, 2011, 06:59:37 PM »

Vibes for your friend, DR elmore.

Jane

« Reply #178 on: May 24, 2011, 06:59:59 PM »

darn, i can't quote anyone!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #179 on: May 24, 2011, 07:01:02 PM »

VIBES TO CRAIG~~~~~~
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up